Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Scotland first doses 73.2%  2nd doses 56.9%

Wales first doses 72.3%  2nd doses 63.5%

England first doses 69.3%  2nd doses 55.4%.  

Northern Ireland first doses 63.4%  2nd doses 53.6%

Scotland and Wales leading the way on the vaccinations front.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enzo Chiefo
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

All of the 40-49 age group have been offered an appointment time. If they don't show what are they supposed to do? Are you suggesting the SG send enforcement teams round people's doors, pin them down and force the needle into their arms?

She should buy a book of 500 English verbs and study the difference between "to give" and "to offer". That's what she's being ragdolled about; no-one expects a 100% take-up.

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Clever manipulation of stats but, how about we compare the percentages of eligible cohorts? ie adults. Unless you want to include family pets too??

Just for the record, England has a higher percentage of fully vaccinated adults.👍

Savage Vince
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Excellent news.

Well done Scotland and Wales.

England and Northern Ireland are doing quite well too, it should be said. 

40 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It would be gone if the vaccine rollout wasn't a joke.

If my auntie had balls and all that.

It would be gone in the UK too if we'd locked down in March and never lifted it...but we didn't and the Oz vaccine rollout is a joke 👎

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If my auntie had balls and all that.

It would be gone in the UK too if we'd locked down in March and never lifted it...but we didn't and the Oz vaccine rollout is a joke 👎

Oh it is. Given there have been 10 deaths in Sydney now, I wonder how many regret not getting AZ when they could. It has been available since March and people have been turning their nose up at it. Now there's panic up there to the point that the advice is that any vaccine for anyone is being offered.

Konrad von Carstein

I see there's a return to vaccination rates being a competion. All of you, no matter what "side"  you are on, should be ashamed...

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Oh it is. Given there have been 10 deaths in Sydney now, I wonder how many regret not getting AZ when they could. It has been available since March and people have been turning their nose up at it. Now there's panic up there to the point that the advice is that any vaccine for anyone is being offered.

With 10 deaths I imagine probably not that many regret not getting the AZ vaccine...why would you? Only 10 deaths afterall. Its a problem for sure, Australia is struggling to vaccinate people that due to the approach they've taken is largely no threat to anyone, let alone the younger populace. The AZ vaccines benefit was in the balance for younger demographics here, so I can only imagine it's an even less enticing option somewhere where the virus largely isn't in circulation. If there's no intention to end the snap lockdowns and re-open borders then why bother getting the vaccine?

Its a chicken and egg thing of course, the government will say they can't do that until people get vaccinated but it's a tougher sell now I guess. Bit of a pickle for sure. 

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

The older cohorts are over 90% 

40-49 76% = Failure 

whether she lies about what she meant and calls people thick who thought she meant what she actually said 

Classless politician 

I'm perhaps only seeing this post out of context, but that 76 % is the second jab rate (it's now 77%). The first jab percentage for 40-49 is 91% and I would expect ongoing second jabs to result in the total percentage of double jabbed 40-49's eventually being close to the first dose jab rate.

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

With 10 deaths I imagine probably not that many regret not getting the AZ vaccine...why would you? Only 10 deaths afterall. Its a problem for sure, Australia is struggling to vaccinate people that due to the approach they've taken is largely no threat to anyone, let alone the younger populace. The AZ vaccines benefit was in the balance for younger demographics here, so I can only imagine it's an even less enticing option somewhere where the virus largely isn't in circulation. If there's no intention to end the snap lockdowns and re-open borders then why bother getting the vaccine?

Its a chicken and egg thing of course, the government will say they can't do that until people get vaccinated but it's a tougher sell now I guess. Bit of a pickle for sure. 

But you're missing the point - lockdowns and borders opening are tied to vaccine take up. The problem is that people were choosing to be vaccine snobs because zero Covid is and was causing people to see AZ as too risky.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

17 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

But you're missing the point - lockdowns and borders opening are tied to vaccine take up. The problem is that people were choosing to be vaccine snobs because zero Covid is and was causing people to see AZ as too risky.

also isn't there a significant number of australians who still cant get back into the country? if so it seems like that their ability to return is linked to vaccine uptake

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

also isn't there a significant number of australians who still cant get back into the country? if so it seems like that their ability to return is linked to vaccine uptake

Well, it seems to have been about 30,000 since eternity. However, this has been knowledge for 18 months now that hotel quarantine is limited if you want to return (which also reduces flights).

Since hotel quarantine has been found not to be 100%, the plan is to build more quarantine "camps" like the Darwin Howard Springs facility across the country. These won't be ready until the end of the year though.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I'm too sexy for my car
Too sexy for my car
Too sexy by far
And I'm too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat
What ya think about that?

Say no more, I think that about answers it. 

a lot of good points there :)

4 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

a lot of good points there :)

Really makes you think, doesn't it? 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Fair play to you for keeping the discussion relatively cerebral, but utilitarianism has its flaws, too, Gizinho.

We're all hypocrites in some way or another.

Oh it does, no question - very easily holed by a simple thought experiment.  

But it does tend to be - or did until neo-liberalism promoted the individual, including personal beliefs and desires, above community or a sense of shared fate - a guiding approach once the Churches lost their iron-grip on morality and direction. 

31 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We fecked up here by having wishy-washy lockdowns that dragged and dragged with limited effectiveness but early vaccine procurement may get us out the mess. You guys have gone the other way - tough, effective lockdowns which ended up undermined by vaccine hesitancy.  

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No, I'm perfectly aware of that. That's pretty much what I said in my post. Its a problem and how Australia get themselves out of that will be interesting to observe.

It's who blinks first. Keep everything locked up and have minuscule deaths and cases and risk people saying 'well, I don't need protection from anything' and remain in that state, or open up and people realise they need the vaccine as their risk suddenly increased.

Ideally you want people to take it based on seeing what's happened elsewhere and then open up/ease restrictions but that doesn't seem to be transpiring. AZ is too risky in the scenario Australians find themselves in, I wouldn't have taken it here, never mind there. I wasn't offered it though as it was withdrawn for my age group.

Geoff Kilpatrick
22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, I'm perfectly aware of that. That's pretty much what I said in my post. Its a problem and how Australia get themselves out of that will be interesting to observe.

It's who blinks first. Keep everything locked up and have minuscule deaths and cases and risk people saying 'well, I don't need protection from anything' and remain in that state, or open up and people realise they need the vaccine as their risk suddenly increased.

Ideally you want people to take it based on seeing what's happened elsewhere and then open up/ease restrictions but that doesn't seem to be transpiring. AZ is too risky in the scenario Australians find themselves in, I wouldn't have taken it here, never mind there. I wasn't offered it though as it was withdrawn for my age group.

Well, if the promised Pfizer lots come in September (40m on order) then we will truly see the level of vaccine refuseniks amongst the vaccine hesitant. Either way, it is bloody annoying.

Back to 2005

Well, it seems to have been about 30,000 since eternity. However, this has been knowledge for 18 months now that hotel quarantine is limited if you want to return (which also reduces flights).

Since hotel quarantine has been found not to be 100%, the plan is to build more quarantine "camps" like the Darwin Howard Springs facility across the country. These won't be ready until the end of the year though.

Building "camps" has always worked well before. Australia has lost the plot.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I'm perhaps only seeing this post out of context, but that 76 % is the second jab rate (it's now 77%). The first jab percentage for 40-49 is 91% and I would expect ongoing second jabs to result in the total percentage of double jabbed 40-49's eventually being close to the first dose jab rate.

That is the correct approach to looking at the stats.  I would add another one.  Of the 91% who have taken up the offer of the first jab, 85% of them have gone on to take up the offer of a second jab, so far.

Geoff Kilpatrick
21 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

"Camps" was used in quotes because it is clear that aerosol transmission is causing issues for hotel quarantine. The Howard Springs facility is more like a Butlins holiday camp with chalets and space to move outdoors in your 14 day quarantine. There have been no quarantine leaks from Howard Springs.

It is likely that non-Aussies won't get a visa to Australia without vaccines. Returning Aussies, student visas or permanent residents may have to do 14 day quarantine at these sites in future.

But yes, I knew you would be all over that word like a fly over shite.

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I'm not convinced you're a reliable arbiter of plot location

Greedy Jambo

We still talking about this?

It's absolutely enthralling to be fair. 

Got my 2nd jag coming up, I can't wait to tell the neighbours. 

scott herbertson
21 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

This is so true. 

If you failed one Saturday there was always the next. Then the next.....etc.

Mind you with the velvet jacket, Oxford bags and platform shoes it's a wonder that even first base was achievable. 

What a ticket!

:lol:

I believe I had a corduroy jacket at one point

Three times in the Infirmary with badly sprained ankles from the platform soles going over down the Royal Mile

Back to 2005
8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

"Camps" was used in quotes because it is clear that aerosol transmission is causing issues for hotel quarantine. The Howard Springs facility is more like a Butlins holiday camp with chalets and space to move outdoors in your 14 day quarantine. There have been no quarantine leaks from Howard Springs.

It is likely that non-Aussies won't get a visa to Australia without vaccines. Returning Aussies, student visas or permanent residents may have to do 14 day quarantine at these sites in future.

But yes, I knew you would be all over that word like a fly over shite.

Yet being vaccinated does not stop you being infected. Australia's tourism industry will be wiped out.

Back to 2005
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm not convinced you're a reliable arbiter of plot location

I'm perfectly sane Smithee mate. Wibble.

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

But it does tend to be - or did until neo-liberalism promoted the individual, including personal beliefs and desires, above community or a sense of shared fate - a guiding approach once the Churches lost their iron-grip on morality and direction. 

gm3n46f85fd21.jpg

:wub:

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Saw a lad on the M56 with an 'I still hate Thatcher' bumper sticker on his car the other weekend.

Hate and resentment is all some folk have, jonesy.

If only someone could work out how to put the collective anger to good use.

:interehjrling:

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I quite admire such dedication to hate. No half measures or moving on.

Moving on is for wooly-minded, yellow-bellied, girlie-men, jonesy. :(

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Back to 2005
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Saw a lad on the M56 with an 'I still hate Thatcher' bumper sticker on his car the other weekend.

I get that Thatcher was a divisive character but guaranteed we wouldn't be in the current mess if she was in charge today. No way would she put up with snivelling little creeps like Gove and Hancock.

indianajones
17 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

This Ferguson bloke is shameless...

Screenshot_20210727-175212_Twitter.jpg

Haha FFS. 

Standard media pish through this whole pandemic. 

Edit: i'll throw in the 'lockdown architect' into standard pish too. Fecking clueless. Save the old, the vulnerable but forget about every other single person in the country. 

Edited by indianajones

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Haha FFS. 

Standard media pish through this whole pandemic. 

They've been horrendous. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Yet being vaccinated does not stop you being infected. Australia's tourism industry will be wiped out.

Yes, we know. It does reduce transmission and in almost all incidences stops serious illness and death. That's what it is designed to do.

45 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I get that Thatcher was a divisive character but guaranteed we wouldn't be in the current mess if she was in charge today. No way would she put up with snivelling little creeps like Gove and Hancock.

I think she would be pretty ineffective, what with the putrefaction and all.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Is there a wider strategy to avoid a ‘exit’ wave in aus?

You’ve been relatively untouched in terms of deaths, cases etc compared to the rest of us. However, when aus is vaccinated and opens up, COVID will arrive and work it’s way through a protected population but it still looks likely it will do some damage especially in older age groups. 

In uK we have become quite accepting on death, in part, as had that many. Not sure if that would be same in Aus/NZ. Just wondering what plan was?

I feel quite sorry for Australia tbh. Taking advantage of their geographical position and closing borders, made so much sense initially (especially with China). Something we wouldn't have been able to do in Europe. But how are they going to get out of it?

Also, other Western economies are predicted to bounce back strong and fast, where Australia is expecting recession.

Something I'm not qualified to comment on, but I also read an opinion piece by an Australian on the damage it's done to the national psyche. Pitting Territories against each other, and weakening Canberra. Not to mention the perception from the rest of world. The writer thought that Australia appeared weak, cowering away from the pandemic and the rest of the world. Rough tough free thinking Australia replaced by a meek complaint population fixated on lockdown and eradication. Quite a mess. 

Brighton Jambo
9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You’ve been relatively untouched in terms of deaths, cases etc compared to the rest of us. However, when aus is vaccinated and opens up, COVID will arrive and work it’s way through a protected population but it still looks likely it will do some damage especially in older age groups. 

In uK we have become quite accepting on death, in part, as had that many. Not sure if that would be same in Aus/NZ. Just wondering what plan was?

This is a good point.  Full credit to Australia for their approach last year clearly it saved thousands of lives and they should be commended.  

However longer term the damage from Covid extends beyond just lives saved and in that regard the Australian strategy now actually seems really problematic.   Their government seriously dropped the ball on purchasing vaccines and now while the world opens up they have potentially months more of snap/ongoing lockdowns alongside closed borders potentially well into next year.  This will cause huge economic damage but also will create frustration for the local population.

And then, as you say, once vaccines are administered and borders open Covid will run rife as it will do everywhere and inevitably there will be illness and deaths (albeit hopefully at a very low level).  In nearly all countries that is just the accepted norm now but how on earth they shift the narrative in Australia to make their people accept this is their new normal given how vehemently zero Covid they have been till now.  

Geoff Kilpatrick
24 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Can't comment on NZ but there will be a vaccination target set at the end of this month and a target date based on doses. After that, it is being treated like flu and some people will die from it. As I said though, no unvaccinated person from outside Australia will get in without being vaccinated. So the risk is managed in that sense.

I take your point though. One case here, let alone death, causes consternation. Mindsets need to change.

28 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I'm guessing its the same as us, get as many people vaccinated as possible and white knuckle it until hospitalisations are acceptable.

Back to 2005

Yes, we know. It does reduce transmission and in almost all incidences stops serious illness and death. That's what it is designed to do.

We have had a lot more cases this summer compared to last summer when there was no vaccine. Similar story elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

We have had a lot more cases this summer compared to last summer when there was no vaccine. Similar story elsewhere.

Aye, that's a real head scratcher son. Have you ever noticed that if you eat a sausage it comes out a shite, but if you eat a shite it doesn't come out a sausage? What's up with that?

Dennis Reynolds
7 minutes ago, westbow said:

Aye, that's a real head scratcher son. Have you ever noticed that if you eat a sausage it comes out a shite, but if you eat a shite it doesn't come out a sausage? What's up with that?

:rofl:

Back to 2005
13 minutes ago, westbow said:

Mmmm classy reply "son" but does not explain how the vaccine is reducing transmission.

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Mmmm classy reply "son" but does not explain how the vaccine is reducing transmission.

I could try and think down to your level but it would give me a headache. So why don't you just google it.

Geoff Kilpatrick
40 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

And the key difference is the virus has mutated and increased transmissibility.

Back to 2005
11 minutes ago, westbow said:

I could try and think down to your level but it would give me a headache. So why don't you just google it.

😂 another intellectual heavyweight. 

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

😂 another intellectual heavyweight. 

Nope, just normal. It's a bit of a low bar you're setting.

Edited by westbow

Back to 2005
9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And the key difference is the virus has mutated and increased transmissibility.

Of course it has. Better get the booster ready for everyone. Kerrching! 

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

Of course it has. Better get the booster ready for everyone. Kerrching! 

Was that the response you had lined up? Bobby Fischer would be giving you a mental high five for that planning.

Back to 2005
Just now, westbow said:

Nope, just normal. It's a bit of a low bar your setting.

Depends on how you judge these things i guess. You're just falling in to the trap of lashing out at someone you don't know because you don't agree or because what I'm saying is uncomfortable.

Back to 2005
2 minutes ago, westbow said:

Was that the response you had lined up? Bobby Fischer would be giving you a mental high five for that planning.

Yeah that's right...

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic