Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
20 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I would just go full on lockdown shut down buses and taxi keyworkers to and from work..the ones that can't drive

Definitely 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
15 hours ago, The Roller said:

Cheers pal.

Will go further on my previous post. We come out the other side and the world half resembles the one we once knew and I’m packing in my work. This has opened my eyes big time. 

I’m currently stressing to the max over my daughters future and their mental health in the short to medium term. How will I pay my mortgage in 6 months time? How will I put food on the table?

This passes and a 5/10k pa drop won’t matter. I’d rather swap that cash and be more content.

Funnily enough this is where I'm coming to. 

The last few weeks have seen me go from thinking this will pass relatively quickly to 24 hour news/Twitter driving me into a dark hole where we're all going to die to actually having a moment of enlightenment of sorts. 

All the stuff we 'consume' is actually worth F all in the grand scheme of things. Money, cars, clothes, tech, all worthless.

Wherever we end up after this is where we'll be. 

If I could offer any advice? Unplug. Turn off. Go for a walk. Read a book. 

Watch the news once a day if you have to. 

FFS I feel like a middle aged hippy. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

Imo, we should shut the border between us and England.  

London is about to go in to meltdown along with other major English cities.  Government waited to long to shut everything down. 

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, jumpship said:

The devil is in the detail... but there ain't no detail. 

This guys going to make 10k, we will buy 30k and he will make 3k... great panic over... 

Where are they? 

This pandemic has been going on for how long? 

As I understand it we have 8k now.

we have orders an immediate 8k more from exiting suppliers which should be available very soon

we then are using a number of companies including but not limited to Dyson to make up the shortfall.  Two of my former companies are involved in a consortium that has nothing to do with Dyson and are plowing in with ramping up production of an existing model.  I won’t claim to know the details but I know they wouldn’t be doing that if they weren’t going to be sold at the end.   

im not being a government cheerleader, I completely acknowledge that mistakes have been made and balls dropped When it comes to ventilator production but given everything that is going on I just feel this relentless need to find any story to jump on the Tory scum bandwagon is unhelpful at a time people are already stressed and worried.  

Seems to me the lockdown is going on long past another 2 weeks.    It makes sense to break them down into shorter durations as that's probably easier for people to handle psychologically.    This lockdown nears it's end in 2 weeks and god only knows what the numbers will look like by then.    Can anyone imagine the government announcing any easing of the fairly limited restrictions in place?     So that everybody is let loose all at once to go back to work and to visit non essential places?    No chance.     It will be another 2 or 3 weeks announced and by the time that ends,   we might be lucky enough to see the numbers showing we've gone over the peak.    4 to 5 weeks time.    Even then there will still need to be social distancing in place but how is that going to look when people feel empowered to return to near normal movements?    Not great imo.     If it's possible there should be a strategy to stagger how people are permitted to move around with more freedom.    How I do not know.    It's either that or these restrictions remain until we're well beyond peak and confident that ongoing infection rates are also dropping away.

Edited by Victorian

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Seems to me the lockdown is going on long past another 2 weeks.    It makes sense to break them down into shorter durations as that's probably easier for people to handle psychologically.    This lockdown nears it's end in 2 weeks and god only knows what the numbers will look like by then.    Can anyone imagine the government announcing any easing of the fairly limited restrictions in place?     So that everybody is let loose all at once to go back to work and to visit non essential places?    No chance.     It will be another 2 or 3 weeks announced and by the time that ends,   we might be lucky enough to see the numbers showing we've gone over the peak.    4 to 5 weeks time.    Even then there will still need to be social distancing in place but how is that going to look when people feel empowered to return to near normal movements?    Not great imo.     If it's possible there should be a strategy to stagger how people are permitted to move around with more freedom.    How I do know.    It's either that or these restrictions remain until we're well beyond peak and confident that ongoing infection rates are also dropping away.

5 weeks see the progress. 

18 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

As I understand it we have 8k now.

we have orders an immediate 8k more from exiting suppliers which should be available very soon

we then are using a number of companies including but not limited to Dyson to make up the shortfall.  Two of my former companies are involved in a consortium that has nothing to do with Dyson and are plowing in with ramping up production of an existing model.  I won’t claim to know the details but I know they wouldn’t be doing that if they weren’t going to be sold at the end.   

im not being a government cheerleader, I completely acknowledge that mistakes have been made and balls dropped When it comes to ventilator production but given everything that is going on I just feel this relentless need to find any story to jump on the Tory scum bandwagon is unhelpful at a time people are already stressed and worried.  

Yeah, I've heard a few folk say we shouldn't criticise the government at the moment.  But the facts are, if we don't, boris and his team would still be encouraging herd immunity.  

Imo, the government is so incompetent we need to keep at them to do the right thing. Unfortunate for life,  they have all developed light symptoms and can now hide away. 

Edited by jumpship

After previously being totally against returning to my current job (dealing with sometimes dozens of people per day),   I'm now minded to go back after all.    But only in certain circumstances.    Not until we're quite clearly gone well beyond the peak period and with a clear downward path of new cases.    Who knows if it's possible but it would also be highly advantageous if the scientific information was showing more details regarding the phase that comes after the emergency.     The up to date belief of how long immunity remains.    Information on the theorised two strains (mild and aggressive) and their possible cross-protection.    Information regarding it becoming endemic and requiring a seasonal or ongoing vaccination.     

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

After previously being totally against returning to my current job (dealing with sometimes dozens of people per day),   I'm now minded to go back after all.    But only in certain circumstances.    Not until we're quite clearly gone well beyond the peak period and with a clear downward path of new cases.    Who knows if it's possible but it would also be highly advantageous if the scientific information was showing more details regarding the phase that comes after the emergency.     The up to date belief of how long immunity remains.    Information on the theorised two strains (mild and aggressive) and their possible cross-protection.    Information regarding it becoming endemic and requiring a seasonal or ongoing vaccination.     

What do you do?

59 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Don’t believe everything you read.  See link below and note this piece is from the guardian, hardly a Tory loving newspaper But dare I say more credible than the previous link.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/how-the-uk-plans-to-source-30000-ventilators-for-nhs-coronavirus

Read this as well though.

CITY-BASED manufacture Gtech has been told by the government to not produce much-needed ventilators less than a week after getting the go-ahead, the company’s chief executive has said.

Nick Grey, chief executive of Gtech, said he had been advised by the government on Thursday (March 27) to not push forward with production of ventilators, despite answering a call for help to assist in producing more than 30,000 ventilators, less than two weeks ago.

A statement from the Gtech chief executive said: “Thank you so much for offering to help Gtech with our medical ventilator. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by everyone’s support and generosity.

“On Friday (March 20), the cabinet and medical group co-ordinating the project gave us the go ahead to prepare for production.

“However last evening (March 26) they advised that they did not want us to proceed at this time.

“Everyone involved can be proud that we were ready to respond to the nation needs and start production in such a short time.

“We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world.

“Thanks again for all your support and Gtech stand ready to go into production with your support should they be asked to do so.”

The government has been contacted for comment.

9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Read this as well though.

CITY-BASED manufacture Gtech has been told by the government to not produce much-needed ventilators less than a week after getting the go-ahead, the company’s chief executive has said.

Nick Grey, chief executive of Gtech, said he had been advised by the government on Thursday (March 27) to not push forward with production of ventilators, despite answering a call for help to assist in producing more than 30,000 ventilators, less than two weeks ago.

A statement from the Gtech chief executive said: “Thank you so much for offering to help Gtech with our medical ventilator. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by everyone’s support and generosity.

“On Friday (March 20), the cabinet and medical group co-ordinating the project gave us the go ahead to prepare for production.

“However last evening (March 26) they advised that they did not want us to proceed at this time.

“Everyone involved can be proud that we were ready to respond to the nation needs and start production in such a short time.

“We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world.

“Thanks again for all your support and Gtech stand ready to go into production with your support should they be asked to do so.”

The government has been contacted for comment.

Its shambolic, isn't it. 

manaliveits105

News story

Response to the Financial Times article on ventilators

Response to 28/03/20 edition of FT Weekend's claims on ventilators.

Published 28 March 2020

placeholder  

The 28/03/20 edition of FT Weekend contains a number of inaccurate claims about the UK’s efforts to procure and manufacture ventilators in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency.

To date, there are more than 8,000 ventilators available to NHS patients, with another 8,000 expected from existing international manufacturers in the coming weeks. We have also been clear that the UK must step up production of ventilators even further to support the UK’s response to the virus and save lives.

The government has partnered with a number of the UK’s leading technology and engineering firms with smaller manufacturers to rapidly build existing, modified or newly designed ventilators at speed, with seven priority projects underway. They are working to improve the speed at which current UK ventilator manufacturers can produce their devices, with larger companies changing their existing operations to help provide the UK with the equipment and personnel it needs for this effort. Many other UK manufacturers are building, designing and developing new effective, safe and easy-to-build ventilators – all orders from the government will be subject to them passing stringent safety tests.

The government’s overriding aim is to protect the NHS and save lives.

Claim:

Several companies have complained that offers were not taken up to provide some of the additional machines needed to save the lives of people with acute respiratory difficulties caused by Covid-19.

Response:

The response we’ve had from British industry has been nothing short of incredible, with an overwhelming response from companies offering help including designing and building new devices, manufacturing components or transporting them to NHS hospitals. To say we have ignored suppliers is wrong – we have responded to all companies that contacted us with offers of help. We are working with a number of firms to scale up production of existing UK ventilator manufacturers, as well as designing and manufacturing new products from scratch, and procuring thousands more machines from overseas.

Claim:

The Government should have been in touch with companies sooner and has now missed out.

Response:

We would expect suppliers of ventilator parts, like MEC Medical, to receive orders from companies for some of the components needed to scale up production of UK ventilator manufacturers.

Claim:

The Government doesn’t follow through with their promises that they’ll buy any new ventilators.

Response:

This is untrue. We have over 8,000 machines arriving in the coming weeks and we are working to procure more everyday. We are also working alongside industry to scale up existing UK manufacturing and, simultaneously, design and manufacture new products. Of course, any new orders are all dependent on machines passing regulatory tests. We are rapidly ramping up ventilator production in response to this crisis.

Anyone who has existing ventilator stock and can support should email here and if you want to offer wider support visit this page.

Claim:

The Government didn’t get in touch quickly and now the lead in times for ventilators from abroad are months away.

Response:

Many distributors are offering us plans for future supply from overseas, but unfortunately many of these simply did not stand up to due diligence, where safety of our citizens is of paramount importance. However, the government has been successful in recent days buying directly from factories. Indeed we took a delivery from a manufacturer in an EU member state just this week. Of course we have bought from agents where that is not possible.

We are doing whatever it takes to protect the NHS and save lives.

48 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm doing some work in an office. With all the arrangements we have (people who come in are spoken to on intercom first,  wash their hands when they come in, everything is cleaned when they leave, no one with symptoms gets in, there is a screen between) I'd say it's much safer than going to a supermarket. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Brighton Jambo
48 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Yeah, I've heard a few folk say we shouldn't criticise the government at the moment.  But the facts are, if we don't, boris and his team would still be encouraging herd immunity.  

Imo, the government is so incompetent we need to keep at them to do the right thing. Unfortunate for life,  they have all developed light symptoms and can now hide away. 

I didn’t say don’t criticise the government.  If criticising and challenging the government gets an outcome that improves the situation then we should do it.  

I don’t however thing we should exaggerate or in some cases invent additional issues over and above the ones we already have to make a political point (to be clear not aiming that at you)

Toxteth O'Grady
58 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Seems to me the lockdown is going on long past another 2 weeks.    It makes sense to break them down into shorter durations as that's probably easier for people to handle psychologically.    This lockdown nears it's end in 2 weeks and god only knows what the numbers will look like by then.    Can anyone imagine the government announcing any easing of the fairly limited restrictions in place?     So that everybody is let loose all at once to go back to work and to visit non essential places?    No chance.     It will be another 2 or 3 weeks announced and by the time that ends,   we might be lucky enough to see the numbers showing we've gone over the peak.    4 to 5 weeks time.    Even then there will still need to be social distancing in place but how is that going to look when people feel empowered to return to near normal movements?    Not great imo.     If it's possible there should be a strategy to stagger how people are permitted to move around with more freedom.    How I do not know.    It's either that or these restrictions remain until we're well beyond peak and confident that ongoing infection rates are also dropping away.

If it is a similar amount of time as Wuhan I think it will take us to about the beginning of June.

46 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What do you do?

It's a bit of lots of things including retail and service work.    Lots of dealing with the public and often dealing with people in different areas of the workplace.   Often fast paced stuff and it was getting difficult to manage the pace of public,  phones,  my desk stuff and trying to wash my hands thoroughly when required.   

It's not even just the public facing stuff.   It's quite a few people in and around the office plus the travelling to work.    The whole package of risks was driving me round the bend.

Ehllhayapeh

Hi All

Just signed up to JKB. Im a Dundee United supporter so the hearts badge in my profile will be switched for something more befitting and tangerine 😜 at some point.

I work for a UK company but based in Mexico City. As much as bojo has been found wanting he isnt even on the podium of world leaders with inept responses to this crisis.

Mexicos president, his best mate is apparently Corbyn..tells you everything you need to know..says he relies on lucky charms and so should the people. Its state governors that have taken action.

But thats the silver medal. For Gold, look to Brazil. Their leader says its a conspiracy to impoverish the brazillian people.

Trump...hes probably Bronze.

Im not a fan of the Tories at all, but the time for investigation and recrimination against Bojo and others is after the crisis is over through s formal investigation into the crisis. I do hope this crisis leads to never underfunding or taking nurses and healthcare for granted. I hope thats global.

In mexico city pop 24 million we have 6000 ICU spaces. Airport still open, people still going out though resturants bars and malls are closed. This city will make New York look a picnic I fear.

It isnt easy going through this so far from friends and family. Im in isolation as I take a medicine thats on the unsafe list for covid-19. 

Mexico is 1 to 2 weeks behind the UK with cases still in 100s, though theres no screening at airports and very little testing. The real number will be alot bigger.

Anyways, best of health to you and yours

Arabest

Edited by Ehllhayapeh
Spelling error/ fat fingers

18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm doing some work in an office. With all the arrangements we have (people who come in are spoken to on intercom first,  wash their hands when they come in, everything is cleaned when they leave, no one with symptoms gets in, there is a screen between) I'd say it's much safer than going to a supermarket. 

Each job has it's own dynamic and pace.    I feel sorry for the supermarket workers but they generally have a longer period of time on one particular task,   whether it be till or stocking,  etc.     Some jobs are just so varied and fast that it's difficult to manage the hand washing when needed.

18 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

If it is a similar amount of time as Wuhan I think it will take us to about the beginning of June.

Quite possibly.    

8 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Hi All

Just signed up to JKB. Im a Dundee United supporter so the hearts badge in my profile will be switched for something more befitting and tangerine 😜 at some point.

I work for a UK company but based in Mexico City. As much as bojo has been found wanting he isnt even on the podium of world leaders with inept responses to this crisis.

Mexicos president, his best mate is apparently Corbyn..tells you everything you need to know..says he relies on lucky charms and so should the people. Its state governors that have taken action.

But thats the silver medal. For Gold, look to Brazil. Their leader says its a conspiracy to impoverish the brazillian people.

Im not a fan of the Tories at all, but the time for investigation and recrimination against Bojo and others is after the crisis is over through s formal investigation into the crisis. I do hope this crisis leads to never underfunding or taking nurses and healthcare for granted. I hope thats global.

In mexico city pop 24 million we have 6000 ICU spaces. Airport still open, people still going out though resturants bars and malls are closed. This city will make New York look a picnic I fear.

It isnt easy going through this so far from friends and family. Im in isolation as I take a medicine thats on the unsafe list for covid-19. 

Mexico is 1 to 2 weeks behind the UK with cases still in 100s, though theres no screening at airports and very little testing. The real number will be alot bigger.

Arabest

Cheers 

(Congratulations on that impending league title😎

You make a fair point. And Singapore, Taiwan etc with 'better' responses are because they had SARs etc and so had systems, facilities, processes already in place. 

It's our first time. Mistakes will be made. 

18 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Hi All

Arabest

Welcome.

Stay safe buddy.

Business Secretary relaxes wrongful trading laws in respect to insolvent companies.

Directors can now keep running the company past the point of insolvency without threat of prosecution or personal liability.

Creditors may lose everything with no comeback.

Fraud is now legal.

:fonzie:

Edited by Cade

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Business Secretary relaxes wrongful trading laws in respect to insolvent companies.

Directors can now keep running the company past the point of insolvency.

Fraud is now legal.

So guys like Tim Martin can bump suppliers invoices past due and not be trading as insolvent?

:scenes:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Directors can now keep running the company past the point of insolvency.

Fraud is now legal.

Dave King and his cohort lighting cigars as we speak. 

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So guys like Tim Martin can bump suppliers invoices past due and not be trading as insolvent?

:scenes:

Reveal hidden contents

:spoton:

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Directors can now keep running the company past the point of insolvency without threat of prosecution or personal liability.

Creditors may lose everything with no comeback.

Fraud is now legal.

They’re rarely enforced anyway. Insolvent companies trade during normal times. That’s why relatively small companies with modest turnovers end up millions in debt to HMRC and other big creditors. Directors get deemed unfit and just open again under a family members name. The laws are a pile of shit in the first place with companies phoenixing regularly. 

joondalupjambo

After watching today's Government update looks like we should now drop the current rallying call because, "Let's Keep it Below 20,000" is more in line with the top ones in the NHS.  Pat on the back if we can do that, flip me what a reality check if ever there was one.

Montgomery Brewster
3 minutes ago, Crete said:

Spiteful rats the lot of them ,I hope they are ashamed of themselves. 

These cretins should be birched

Day 6 and people still don't understand distancing. I went to the supermarket to get essential supplies and people just don't seem to understand the idea of being 2 metres apart, even though the shop has lines taped on the floor at 2m gaps so you can work it out. Glad to be back in the house when the only person that can annoy me is myself. 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Supermarkets may (and maybe should) go to click and collect only in the next week or so.

Very unlikely to be logistically manageable.

Hope the following helps a bit.

Had the Mrs on the phone during the week in tears. Not like her at all. She was extremely emotional and this whole thing was getting the better of her.

She confessed she had spent at least half the day watching Sky News keeping up to date on developments and all the negativity got the better of her. It turns out so had I and the pair of us had a good cry and got it all out our systems. I had realised before she rang that I had made the same mistake of watching too much coverage. Psychologically it had taken its toll on the pair of us. Bombarded with sights, facts, figures and images of people in distress had wrecked us both.

It was quite an emotional realisation on top of what our brains were processing and we both agreed there and then to take breaks from the news to allow our brains to take in more positive aspects of our lives and balance everything out.

Whether or not anyone else has experienced what we went through I would be interested to hear?

I am no psychologist but since then we are both more balanced in our outlook and feel a damn sight better with what’s going on by simply exposing ourselves less to the understandably negative press.

Stay safe people and look after your brains as well as your bodies.

7 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Had the Mrs on the phone during the week in tears. Not like her at all. She was extremely emotional and this whole thing was getting the better of her.

She confessed she had spent at least half the day watching Sky News keeping up to date on developments and all the negativity got the better of her. It turns out so had I and the pair of us had a good cry and got it all out our systems. I had realised before she rang that I had made the same mistake of watching too much coverage. Psychologically it had taken its toll on the pair of us. Bombarded with sights, facts, figures and images of people in distress had wrecked us both.

It was quite an emotional realisation on top of what our brains were processing and we both agreed there and then to take breaks from the news to allow our brains to take in more positive aspects of our lives and balance everything out.

Whether or not anyone else has experienced what we went through I would be interested to hear?

I am no psychologist but since then we are both more balanced in our outlook and feel a damn sight better with what’s going on by simply exposing ourselves less to the understandably negative press.

Good post ,stay safe everyone we will get through this.x

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Supermarkets may (and maybe should) go to click and collect only in the next week or so.

8 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Very unlikely to be logistically manageable.

Impossible just now the way supplies are coming in. Shops don't know what is coming. 

Possible in theory so we'll see.

I think I'll be avoiding the big supermarkets now.    They give me the pure fear.    Shopping local from now on.   If the shops have queues outside I'll just go home and go back later.    

Walter Bishop

High numbers in Italy again but the growth is going down, found this chart on Twitter. A very small bit of light?

Screenshot_20200328-175403_Twitter.jpg

2 hours ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Hi All

Arabest

Have you never seen any previous investigation into what went wrong in the public sector? They cost millions, and decide there was systemic or control failure but nobody was at fault, and "lessons will the learned"...

The time for questions to be getting asked is the here and now.

26 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I used to be a bit of a news junkie, but now I'm swerving it.

Not because I have my head in the sand, just because it's heavy. 

The numbers are catastrophic, but still small in total population percentages. Not really much comfort especially to those affected, but gives perspective imo. 

I hope that doesn't sound callous, it's not meant to be. Just trying to rationalise stuff.

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, Cade said:

Booked solid for the next 3 weeks down my way.

So you could wait 3 weeks and then only half your order is there when you come to pick it up, what then, wait another 3 weeks.

Malinga the Swinga

I went to Morrisons this morning about 9.30? No queue to get in and other than toilet paper (which I didn't want anyway) they had shelfs stocked almost as normal. In and out in 20 minutes.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic