• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, jamborich said:

My misses tested positive last Thursday despite having her 2 jags this thing is here to stay unfortunately 

Is she ill with it?

39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Prof Anthony Harnden, deputy chairman of the government's advisory committee on vaccination, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that flu "could be potentially a bigger problem this winter than Covid."

Just can’t help themselves.

The reasons for that possibility are well known and discussed.  Possibly diminished population protection as a byproduct of social distancing.

But yeah... they just can't help themselves with trying to be prepared and plan ahead and that.  The *****.

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

What's that about?

The theory is something along the lines of social distancing having suppressed flu and other viruses so much and for so long that,  when social distancing is finally removed,  that there will be an otherwise much larger pool of susceptible people who haven't acquired mild virus infections and who haven't maintained a level of immunity from infections and illness.  That when social distancing is removed there could be quite a resurgence of the likes of flu due to it spreading easier,  faster and with more virulence.

Edited by Victorian

19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Is she ill with it?

Not seriously but had the usual symptoms cough, no smell or taste just feeling shit generally 

Surely such matters are already known at Critical Thinkers H.Q.  They've already thought of everything I thought.  To do the critical thinking like.

Started our tenth isolation period today. The little guy is getting tested tomorrow (again!). The disruption this thing is still causing is insane.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

You got any good news to impart today ? 

Denmark just scored against Russia

On Covid ICU numbers are pretty static so I think its clear vaccinations are working

Also most restrictions are lifted - I enjoyed a coffee and cake with my daughter in a cafe today

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

You mean when folk were sceptical about the long-term impact of telling everyone to keep the hell away from each other they perhaps should have been listened to rather than mocked and vilified?

You don't feck with the tao unless you're willing to accept the consequences.

Of course.  It certainly presents itself as an unfortunate byproduct of social distancing.  But let's avoid a redrafting of history under any bogus pretence that this specific byproduct of diminished immunity was front and centre of opposition to social distancing.  

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Shite. I've got to drive to Dundee tomorrow. Will update my will and ensure insurance policies are up to date.

Normal precautions for going to Scumdee.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Correct ! 

You got any good news to impart today ? 

Well even though I wasn’t much of a fan but Trump Did stats the more you test the more you will get higher numbers positive . It’s obvious . It’ll be interesting to see how my friends PCR test comes back as his LFT came back positive . 

Since the positivity rate is a percentage of tests, this is patently not true - unless you were previously doing ZERO tests. More tests produces more accuracy but you only need a statistically valid subset of data to get a reasonably accurate positivity rate. How do you think we identify hotspots by surge testing?

Not sure what to tell you, if you take your advice from Donald Trump - I thought he was the only person on the planet stupid enough to believe this...

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Prof Anthony Harnden, deputy chairman of the government's advisory committee on vaccination, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that flu "could be potentially a bigger problem this winter than Covid."

Flu immunity lasts 90 years apparently: http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1835907,00.html 

I've read articles early on in the pandemic that argued that lockdown won't affect our immunity in terms of lack of exposure, but that the psycological effects of isolation or stress may affect it. Hopefully, that gets a massive bounce back once we get out of all of this crap. 

One good thing is that the mRNA vaccines will allow much more rapid development of flu shots.  for later development of the annual flu vaccines, meaning we could get better accuracy in selecting strains to add to the vaccine: https://www.pfizer.com/news/featured_stories/featured_stories_detail/new_rna_technology_could_get_the_flu_vaccine_right_every_year

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

It doesn't need to be scientifically proved.  Not everything needs to be proved with scientific facts and methods to be understood as being a thing that exists.

You were drooling on about infections rising despite restrictions.  As usual you conveniently omit the unprovable but easily understood scenario that the restrictions have reduced / limited the rate of increase of infections.  

People who need to have everything proved to them or use absence of proof as a proxy to be a contrarian are quite possibly a breed apart.  A variant of concern perhaps.   Evolved and adapted to escape any common sense and reason.

presumably you don’t work with statistics and root causes in your real world job as commentary such as this wouldn’t get you far

(even if the conclusion does seem obvious - which it often isn’t)

JudyJudyJudy
42 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

On Covid ICU numbers are pretty static so I think its clear vaccinations are working

Also most restrictions are lifted - I enjoyed a coffee and cake with my daughter in a cafe today

Well as I said a friend tested positive from a LFT on Friday stlll awaiting results from PCR so may be negative however he only felt like had a bad cold so maybe the double jabs are working ? Well not maybe . He’s 67 smokes likes a chimney but generally quite fit for his age ! Oh and Denmark 4-1 !!! 

Edited by JamesM48

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

presumably you don’t work with statistics and root causes in your real world job as commentary such as this wouldn’t get you far

(even if the conclusion does seem obvious - which it often isn’t)

I don't need to.  As ever it's much safer and more practical to avoid appointing one's self with scientific expertise that I don't possess or have a claim to.  The only practical,  real world approach is to realise one's limitations and attempt to evaluate the balance of opinion from those who do possess the relevant scientific expertise.

Real scientists realise that not everything is a provable quantity and they express their opinions accordingly.  A lay person can usually evaluate what is likely to be true and what is less likely to be true and what is pure speculation.

JudyJudyJudy
49 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

That’s nice you enjoyed a coffee snc cake today with your daughter . That’s the important things in life ! 👍

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Is she ill with it?

Exactly 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

What's that about?

😎

2 hours ago, jamborich said:

My misses tested positive last Thursday despite having her 2 jags this thing is here to stay unfortunately 

Hope she gets better soon mate, my son had it and I know how stressful it can be. I suppose one way to look at it is at least your wife has had the two jags which should curb its severity. Unfortunately the jags won’t stop anyone catching it, just the antibodies to fight it.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Influenza is currently killing more people than Covid so to say it "could be" a bigger problem is hardly a revelation. "Could be" again of course... as you say they can't help themselves.

For the last month Covid hasn't featured in the top 20 causes of death in the UK. Not a could be or might or may be in that statement.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't need to.  As ever it's much safer and more practical to avoid appointing one's self with scientific expertise that I don't possess or have a claim to.  The only practical,  real world approach is to realise one's limitations and attempt to evaluate the balance of opinion from those who do possess the relevant scientific expertise.

Real scientists realise that not everything is a provable quantity and they express their opinions accordingly.  A lay person can usually evaluate what is likely to be true and what is less likely to be true and what is pure speculation.

everything is provable to a degree of confidence

many real scientists completely disagree on just about everything connected to this yet a lay person can usually evaluate what is likely to be true without any proof being required - you can’t think that surely ?

interestingly you appear to have bought into the flu might be more dangerous once it gets half a chance so the suppression of covid could have resulted in the same - no?

getting a wee bit more complex and less obvious already 

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

everything is provable to a degree of confidence

many real scientists completely disagree on just about everything connected to this yet a lay person can usually evaluate what is likely to be true without any proof being required - you can’t think that surely ?

interestingly you appear to have bought into the flu might be more dangerous once it gets half a chance so the suppression of covid could have resulted in the same - no?

getting a wee bit more complex and less obvious already 

No I haven't bought into anything.  It is merely something to keep an open mind to.  Neither buy into it or dismiss it.  

It's a valid point re the suppression of coronavirus but I think there is no direct comparison to draw.  There is (or is normally) an ongoing and existing reservoir of immunity to flu and other viruses that helps to add a level of natural suppression.  There was no such level of immunity to this coronavirus until people began to produce infection acquired immune system protection and once the level of immunity begun to be supercharged via immunisation.  The two are not the same.

There wont ever be a social distancing derived negative consequence of diminishing immunity to coronavirus unless something else comes along to necessitate a repeat performance.  Hopefully and at some point we'll have a reality that the entire world achieves a highly suppressing level of vaccine derived immunity and that normal human interaction will ensure that ongoing protection maintains and sustains through widespread mild infections.  That the soundbite of "we'll need to live with the virus" actually works for us instead of against us.

If something else comes along then who the **** knows what will result.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No I haven't bought into anything.  It is merely something to keep an open mind to.  Neither buy into it or dismiss it.  

It's a valid point re the suppression of coronavirus but I think there is no direct comparison to draw.  There is (or is normally) an ongoing and existing reservoir of immunity to flu and other viruses that helps to add a level of natural suppression.  There was no such level of immunity to this coronavirus until people began to produce infection acquired immune system protection and once the level of immunity begun to be supercharged via immunisation.  The two are not the same.

There wont ever be a social distancing derived negative consequence of diminishing immunity to coronavirus unless something else comes along to necessitate a repeat performance.  Hopefully and at some point we'll have a reality that the entire world achieves a highly suppressing level of vaccine derived immunity and that normal human interaction will ensure that ongoing protection maintains and sustains through widespread mild infections.  That the soundbite of "we'll need to live with the virus" actually works for us instead of against us.

If something else comes along then who the **** knows what will result.

yes “bought into” poor wording by me - open mind much better description 

the negative affects of covid suppression may have already happened eg last year 

again many scientists agree and disagree whether there was existing immunity to covid 19 from other corona viruses

the original post was discussing whether proof was possible or necessary - over the course of a couple of more posts just a tiny amount of the complexities of this has been highlighted - hence drawing conclusions comfortably in the absence of ‘proof’ as I said would get short shrift in the real world be the subject matter covid 19 or something much less complex 

10 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yes “bought into” poor wording by me - open mind much better description 

the negative affects of covid suppression may have already happened eg last year 

again many scientists agree and disagree whether there was existing immunity to covid 19 from other corona viruses

the original post was discussing whether proof was possible or necessary - over the course of a couple of more posts just a tiny amount of the complexities of this has been highlighted - hence drawing conclusions comfortably in the absence of ‘proof’ as I said would get short shrift in the real world be the subject matter covid 19 or something much less complex 

My point was that some people seem to incapable of evaluating and to place value on things that cannot to proved with hard facts and figures.  That the very absence of proof or the impossibility of proof is a valid reason to dismiss things by default.  It isn't difficult to identify such posts and posters.  

When a scientist finds a subject that cannot to settled by irrefutable proof,  they don't stop thinking about it and avoid offering an informed opinion about it.  They tend to express things with a degree of probability or likelihood.  

Footballfirst

Do we need proof to be confident in believing something to be true?

No!

Is there "life" elsewhere in the universe?  I think that scientists would overwhelmingly say that there is life outside Earth, yet we don't have one iota of evidence to back that up.     

What they are doing is making up their minds, on a statistical basis, that there must be millions of Earth like worlds elsewhere in the universe, where there existed the possibility for life to evolve as it did on Earth millions or billions of years ago. Again, we don't currently have that evidence although the pool of information is growing with each expedition to the outer reaches of the solar system 

It is difficult to believe that Earth would be unique, with the coincidences of chemical composition, temperature, water etc., so I'm very much in the believer camp.

Similarly, when it comes to predicting what unknowns could happen in a the next few months or years, in a health context, can be forecast with varying degrees of confidence based on current knowledge, understanding and experience.    

Edited by Footballfirst

A pedant might feel the need to add that there is no such thing as proof in science.

Evidence collected will either support or counter a hypothesis, but doesn't prove anything.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My point was that some people seem to incapable of evaluating and to place value on things that cannot to proved with hard facts and figures.  That the very absence of proof or the impossibility of proof is a valid reason to dismiss things by default.  It isn't difficult to identify such posts and posters.  

When a scientist finds a subject that cannot to settled by irrefutable proof,  they don't stop thinking about it and avoid offering an informed opinion about it.  They tend to express things with a degree of probability or likelihood.  

“it isn’t difficult” - we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that

and as mentioned in a recent post there is rarely irrefutable proof

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

No!

Is there "life" elsewhere in the universe?  I think that scientists would overwhelmingly say that there is life outside Earth, yet we don't have one iota of evidence to back that up.     

What they are doing is making up their minds, on a statistical basis, that there must be millions of Earth like worlds elsewhere in the universe, where there existed the possibility for life to evolve as it did on Earth millions or billions of years ago. Again, we don't currently have that evidence although the pool of information is growing with each expedition to the outer reaches of the solar system 

It is difficult to believe that Earth would be unique, with the coincidences of chemical composition, temperature, water etc., so I'm very much in the believer camp.

Similarly, when it comes to predicting what unknowns could happen in a the next few months or years, in a health context, can be forecast with varying degrees of confidence based on current knowledge, understanding and experience.    

youve said not “one iota of evidence” yet then gone on to describe a bunch of statistical evidence - which is evidence  - (as you have said later and I’ve already said evidence to a certain degree of confidence)

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
21 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

A pedant might feel the need to add that there is no such thing as proof in science.

Evidence collected will either support or counter a hypothesis, but doesn't prove anything.

agree with this and science in the broadest sense

id add the word “necessarily” prove anything - personally

is also why I used the term ‘proof’ in one posts in line with what you’ve highlighted in your post - not even a pedant point and probably good that you have spelt it out

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

The kids school has significantly more cases than it’s had at any point during the pandemic. I think the junior, part of the school may be closed early to try and stem spread in the school. 

Schools around me are crawling with it.

Thankfully it doesn't spread in schools.

It appears there has been a bit of a **** up with issue of second appointments, with 8000 invitations being issued too early. 

Also after a bit of chat with the wife last night. We have decided to pull the kids out of school early. My daughter is due to go into hospital for a weeks worth of treatment and decided don’t want her getting it and endangering the treatment happening. 

The kids school has significantly more cases than it’s had at any point during the pandemic. I think the junior, part of the school may be closed early to try and stem spread in the school. 

Sure it's (another) admin error but the AZ leaflet still says 4 to 12 weeks is ok.

I wonder if not sooner than the 4 weeks how many folk would be happy just to get their 2nd dose?

Edited by DETTY29

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well until recently it didn’t. 

I don't agree at all.

A virus that is 40% less transmissable is still transmissable, as evidenced by the peaks last year and at the beginnig of this one. And I'd hazard that social distancing amongst schoolkids has always been sporadic. Dozens of them cut past my window in large groups with no distancing whenever schools have been open. 

Also, the virus doesn't know that the older age groups have been vaccinates so has now moved on to schools and young adults. The virus is doing what it has been doing from the start, infecting any **** it can get its spikes into. The difference is that we're looking for it in kids and young adults as primary vectors, now that the duffers have been vaccinated.

I know half a dozen 16-17 year olds who are now isolating after being pinged as close contacts and subsequently testing positive. Not a symptom amongst them. In fact, they think it's a ****ing ruse and are pissed off.

Perhaps not to the degree that it is now, but covid has always been spreading in schools and other centres of education. The fact that the nippers are mostly unaffected by it has been our saving grace.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Schools around me are crawling with it.

Not as much in primary schools but in secondary around my way it's rife. 

I would be keen to see the vaccine program move into secondary schools and work through getting teenagers some level of protection. 

If we're expecting some increases in winter I'd like to think suppressing it in schools is one way to go.

JudyJudyJudy
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

No!

46D7D998-7FE8-4E9A-9E39-8B9D8BE159F7.gif

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't agree at all.

A virus that is 40% less transmissable is still transmissable, as evidenced by the peaks last year and at the beginnig of this one. And I'd hazard that social distancing amongst schoolkids has always been sporadic. Dozens of them cut past my window in large groups with no distancing whenever schools have been open. 

Also, the virus doesn't know that the older age groups have been vaccinates so has now moved on to schools and young adults. The virus is doing what it has been doing from the start, infecting any **** it can get its spikes into. The difference is that we're looking for it in kids and young adults as primary vectors, now that the duffers have been vaccinated.

I know half a dozen 16-17 year olds who are now isolating after being pinged as close contacts and subsequently testing positive. Not a symptom amongst them. In fact, they think it's a ****ing ruse and are pissed off.

Perhaps not to the degree that it is now, but covid has always been spreading in schools and other centres of education. The fact that the nippers are mostly unaffected by it has been our saving grace.

As you said children don’t become ill with it or show hardly or no symptoms therefore complete waste of time getting them vaccinated . I’d hope parents of teenagers at Least discuss this with their children before giving the giving permission for their children to be vaccinated ? Anyway some , I. Fact many children may refuse it so what happens then? 

scott herbertson

One issue with the younger kids is the possibility of blood clotting - the equation between risk of serious illness from the virus compared to risk of clotting is less clear for them than any other age group. A tough call - damned if you do and damned if you don't. it's those sort of decisions which make me glad I retired a few years back 

The arrival of a strain that 40-60% more transmissible, them being the only large unvaccinated group and that social distancing has been removed in the school setting may have changed the situation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They will need to do something in the future due to their education being trashed by isolations. 

Thankfully, kids remain less suspectible to being impacted by COVID and are less likely to pass it on. However, their education is being ****ed up beyond recognition. 

It has crossed my mind that they might be purposely letting run wild in schools. 

This issue has caused me nothing but problems, had take calls this  morning during my workout and arrived home to the wife in floods of tears around the situarion. Feel like starting early doors for the Scotland game tbqfhwy. 

Around 90% of my work is in schools,I’ve worked in them all through the pandemic and have witnessed large outbreaks in all of them for over a year now.The mantra of “no evident transmission in schools” is completely false in my experience.Kids being in school means it’s something we need to live with though.

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

They will need to do something, as the kids education is getting ****ing wrecked. The situation is likely to be repeated following the summer term. 

To be fair, they've tried to keep schools open as best as they can. The fact that kids appeared largely unnafected by covid allowed governments to downplay transmisbility in educational settings, meaning parents would continue to send their kids to school, and teachers would continue to turn up for work. With extended families being largely cut of from each other due to lockdowns and distancing restrictions, the chances of kids infecting grand parents was minimised. We saw what happened when this was relaxed for the festive season.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

The arrival of a strain that 40-60% more transmissible, them being the only large unvaccinated group and that social distancing has been removed in the school setting may have changed the situation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They will need to do something in the future due to their education being trashed by isolations. 

Thankfully, kids remain less suspectible to being impacted by COVID and are less likely to pass it on. However, their education is being ****ed up beyond recognition. 

It has crossed my mind that they might be purposely letting run wild in schools. 

This issue has caused me nothing but problems, had take calls this  morning during my workout and arrived home to the wife in floods of tears around the situarion. Feel like starting early doors for the Scotland game tbqfhwy. 

The last expert opinion I saw on transmissibility was Prof Ferguson of Imperial College who said the new variant  could be 40% to 80 % more transmissible? I haven't seen an update and I assume there is still nothing about the confidence level in these estimates. 

Francis Albert

As with the adult population a lot more children are being tested so a lot more cases are being identified. 

Francis Albert
Just now, Francis Albert said:

As with the adult population a lot more children are being tested so a lot more cases are being identified. And so a lot more being isolated. I am not sure what evidence there is of the benefits of this vs the undoubted downsides,

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

PHE, and I think PHS, have issued infornation which has it 64% more transmissible according to their data/research. 

Issued earlier in the month. 

Thanks. Quite an impressive narrowing of Ferguson's 40% to 80%. And not 40% to 60% either.

JudyJudyJudy
50 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I really don’t know what to do around the kids. Part of me says it’s pointless, as not impacted and by the time we get round to it they will have all have had it at this rate. Especially as easing of restrictions and more interactions are likely to continue 

The disruption kids face to their education should not be underestimated. The constant interruption via isolation is not sunstainable. 

Are we likely to see outbreaks in schools after the summer holidays again or will it have just fizzled it’s way out due a variety of factors. 

Do we have a vaccine plan for newly turned 18 year old for future?

I think kids will end up getting once adult population is done and supplies allow. 

Ask yourself “ is my child at risk of dying of covid ? It’s hIghly unlikely they are . Therefore why give permission for them to have an untried vaccine ? Yes I know all about herd immunity etc and more people vaccinated means less hosts for the virus 🦠 but children have perfectly healthy robust immune systems which is clearly evidenced by the minimal deaths of people them from it . The Govt is playing on parental fears and it’s shameful really . As for schools , keep them open all the time , if there is an outbreak in a class ,, test the kids in that class and if positive they need to be sent home , like we got sent home with nits . It’s a small price to Pay to  keep schools open as children need them open for a wide variety of reasons 

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Without going into detail there is a good chance my daughter get it due to underlying health condition. Her specialist and us have had that conversation. 

Albeit my musing was more in a general sense than specific to me. 

The kids school is currently quarantining them by them by the bus load at the moment. Gathering them all in a big hall to break the news to them🙈

Sorry I was being insensitive earlier as I remembered your daughter has health conditions which might impact on her ability to fight CV . Apologies . It’s a different ball game then . 

This week in East Lothian schools is the worst since the start of Covid regards numbers off. 
One primary school only has 18 pupils in this morning I’ve just been told.

Just as well the holidays start this week 

Two guys off at my work now due to their sons coming back from London with Covid. Think the London trip will show a few positive cases    

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

No need to apologise and never interpreted what you said as insensitive anyway. 

As said, musing more in general sense anyway. Like most things in life people will need to make their own choice. 

👍

20 minutes ago, theshed said:

This week in East Lothian schools is the worst since the start of Covid regards numbers off. 
One primary school only has 18 pupils in this morning I’ve just been told.

Just as well the holidays start this week 

Two guys off at my work now due to their sons coming back from London with Covid. Think the London trip will show a few positive cases    

Heard of another two cases of boys back from London. There will be more for sure.

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, Boab said:

Heard of another two cases of boys back from London. There will be more for sure.

And it will be a two way flow.

It's only 4 days on from the England match.  If visitors to London are now tested and confirmed as positive,  surely they're almost certain to have acquired infection prior to Friday.

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, Boab said:

The cockney variant. 

Symptoms include an insistance on speaking in rhyming slang, singing "knees aap mavaah brahhhn", and being a complete .

images.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's only 4 days on from the England match.  If visitors to London are now tested and confirmed as positive,  surely they're almost certain to have acquired infection prior to Friday.

Interesting, i have heard of about a dozen positive cases from that trip, not one person has questioned the timeline.

24 minutes ago, escobri said:

Interesting, i have heard of about a dozen positive cases from that trip, not one person has questioned the timeline.

Seems much too soon to have incubated and become symptomatic from an infection acquired 4 days ago.  Can only assume these are people who have been tested before becoming symptomatic.  

41 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The cockney variant. 

Symptoms include an insistance on speaking in rhyming slang, singing "knees aap mavaah brahhhn", and being a complete .

images.jpeg

One of the boys, on testing positive said, “ cor blimey,would you Adam and Eve it !”

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic