Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 minutes ago, westbow said:

Changing the variant more like. I wouldn't say the comment section of The Times is particularly known for being pro or anti lockdown.

Precisely. We know that we are in a race to vaccination versus the development of favourable mutations, this is not news to anyone paying attention. Of course, if the government had put India on the red list when they should have we could have been home and dry by now. 

vax.JPG

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Can’t be far away. 50 year olds are getting their 2nd jabs in the coming two weeks.

Seem to be aiming for 10 weeks after first jab 

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Precisely. We know that we are in a race to vaccination versus the development of favourable mutations, this is not news to anyone paying attention. Of course, if the government had put India on the red list when they should have we could have been home and dry by now. 

vax.JPG

Ken, its a bummer. Only silver lining is that it is encouraging everyone to get the second jab. In the US there's a lot more hesitancy with the second as some feel one is enough.

11 minutes ago, westbow said:

Ken, its a bummer. Only silver lining is that it is encouraging everyone to get the second jab. In the US there's a lot more hesitancy with the second as some feel one is enough.

Probably why they're now offering a joint for a jab.

Should up it and offer an assault rifle for getting your 2nd... would be queues for miles

The Real Maroonblood
40 minutes ago, westbow said:

Got my 2nd on Tuesday at the EICC, hope they keep it well organised. Was a breeze at Gracemount last time.

Twice there and it’s well organised.

JudyJudyJudy

Loving how the news [ stv } almost blaming joe public for not getting second vaccines when It’s too do with organisation of it all surely , it’s , not Joe Public fault . I notice that my recommendation at the beginning of the vaccines programme ( drop in centres ) are now up and running . Should have done that months ago . Linda Bauld now on scare mongering as usual . Failing to mention test positivity rate is around 3%  and Death rates for this week and last around 8 . 

4 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Grand, that'll be everyone back into Tynecastle for the League Cup then.

if it is so low risk then why did they not allow fans into the scottish cup final? 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Loving how the news [ stv } almost blaming joe public for not getting second vaccines when It’s too do with organisation of it all surely , it’s , not Joe Public fault . I notice that my recommendation at the beginning of the vaccines programme ( drop in centres ) are now up and running . Should have done that months ago . Linda Bauld now on scare mongering as usual . Failing to mention test positivity rate is around 3%  and Death rates for this week and last around 8 . 

Bauld let the cat out the bag earlier when asked why the SG couldn’t have test proof at the fan zone. She said, and I quote; “ The fan zone is a big event. There are sponsors involved and a lot of of money associated with it. “

She then said is wasn’t something the SG could “ suddenly do. “

They are at it and people are done with the lies.

:wave1:

The Hogfather
Just now, milky_26 said:

if it is so low risk then why did they not allow fans into the scottish cup final? 

Because UEFA wasn't handing over bundles of cash for Hibs and St Johnstone to have a handful of fans there. Even though rates have gone up since then. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Bauld let the cat out the bag earlier when asked why the SG couldn’t have test proof at the fan zone. She said, and I quote; “ The fan zone is a big event. There are sponsors involved and a lot of of money associated with it. “

She then said is wasn’t something the SG could “ suddenly do. “

They are at it and people are done with the lies.

:wave1:

👍 aye she will get getting her books for that comment 👀

Edited by JamesM48

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Didn’t Leitch say similar about 15 months ago, then a few days later we were locked in our houses.

Seems a strange decision considering how ‘cautious’ the SG have been.

Even stranger when you think about the decision to reject fans at the Scottish Cup final, despite there being a marked increase in infection rates since that day. 

15 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Because UEFA wasn't handing over bundles of cash for Hibs and St Johnstone to have a handful of fans there. Even though rates have gone up since then. 

and it did not feature one of the cheeks

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Didn’t Leitch say similar about 15 months ago, then a few days later we were locked in our houses.

Seems a strange decision considering how ‘cautious’ the SG have been.

Money talks ? 

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Probably why they're now offering a joint for a jab.

Should up it and offer an assault rifle for getting your 2nd... would be queues for miles

😂 they also have a lottery in Seattle with a $250000 prize

43 minutes ago, indianajones said:

If 75% of the population have anti-bodies, whats the problem? 

Giving up control. The SG now want to extend the special Covid19 powers into March next year. That’s despite the Vaccine doing it’s job. 

indianajones
3 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Giving up control. The SG now want to extend the special Covid19 powers into March next year. That’s despite the Vaccine doing it’s job. 

I mean whats the problem within the entire UK? 

75% is a huge amount of people that have antibodies. Surely we can just open up and get on with things now?

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

75% is a huge amount of people that have antibodies. Surely we can just open up and get on with things now?

Largely, people are.

Still impacting people wanting to get on a boat or watching their kids in a race. Feel for those folks. 
Any goodwill build up is being eroded with their daft decisions.

I’m done with them.

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

I think incompetence in England, they don’t know their erse from their elbow add in corruption amongst the Tory's, still some mates needing money for nothing. 
There is still rising case numbers but that is not transferring hospital or deaths at this point. 
75% is a good figure but IMO we need definite evidence that the 25% are not in danger but that should only be a further 2-3 weeks. 

Registering antibody positive is not a simple,  absolute guarantee of protection.  People show antibodies a few weeks after one dose of vaccine but the overall efficacy of protection against severe illness is really quite low.  You only need look at the ongoing daily cases to see that efficacy against transmission is rather moderate.  Also remember that the antibodies being detected are an immune response from vaccines designed against a now redundant,  obsolete strain.  

We really shouldn't be far away from the desired level of overall protection.  But it's way more complicated than a simple count of needles in arms and antibodies being detected.  

Nucky Thompson
39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Also remember that the antibodies being detected are an immune response from vaccines designed against a now redundant,  obsolete strain.  

The evidence so far is that the vaccines work against all strains, so I don't understand the point that you are making

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The evidence so far is that the vaccines work against all strains, so I don't understand the point that you are making

They do indeed but it's also said that the efficacy has been reduced a bit.  It looks like the current focus is on the many millions of people who have had just the first dose.  Protection against severe illness from one dose has been estimated quite low.  Possibly as low as 30 to 40% efficacy.  This rises substantially after both doses.  

About 20% of current hospitalisations are people who have had one dose,  even though most of them will have produced the antibody.  A few experts are going on about a wave of hospitalisations before the full vaccination programme is complete.  This should become irrelevant once the bulk of the 2nd doses are completed in the original top 9 groups and down into the 40s and 30s.  Not far away.

Enzo Chiefo
16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes, NT. There is approx 33% protection from just one jab against symptomatic infection, rising to between 63% - 85% after 2. That's just against symptomatic infection. 

The real world data shows that the chance of a double jabbed individual ending up in hospital, with any variant of the virus, is next to zero.

The danger in delaying for 2 weeks, to allow a few more million jabs, is that the same argument presents itself the following fortnight.  It's the ultimate example of procrastination.  Boris would send a clear, positive signal to the country by going ahead as planned on 21st June, perhaps with the caveat of recommending the use of face masks on public transport,  sanitising hands etc.

For those yet to be double jabbed, the 33% protection is surely just an increase over what was a very low risk anyway?

Ie the risk of someone yet to be offered their 2nd jag already had a miniscule risk of hospitalisation jab or no jab anyway.

Edited by Taffin

4 hours ago, theshed said:

Got my letter today about my 2nd dose next Thursday and I’m 50.... I would consider myself as one of the last to get my first dose so that must be them coming to the end of the 2nd dose for 50 and over 

On a different note I got my first dose in Musselburgh and can nearly see the     Uni from my house but I’ve to go into Edinburgh this time 🤷‍♀️

QMU closes for vaccination on 12th June, I think.

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

For those yet to be double jabbed, the 33% protection is surely just an increase over what was a very low risk anyway?

Yes, I wondered about that too. I checked up and it confirmed that, rather than meaning you have a 67% chance of catching it, whatever low risk you had of contracting it in the first place is further reduced by 33%

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

A range of risks really.  From very low through to moderate.  Overall very low.   The efficacy percentage is derived from comparing outcomes of cohorts of vaccinated and not yet vaccinated people.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

She sits on TV every Saturday morning on breakfast TV enjoying her Andy Warhol moment. These people are loving the attention but she let it slip there alright.

Big time, jonno 

Occasionally the mask slips. Must think our heads zip up the back.

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, NT. There is approx 33% protection from just one jab against symptomatic infection, rising to between 63% - 85% after 2. That's just against symptomatic infection. 

The real world data shows that the chance of a double jabbed individual ending up in hospital, with any variant of the virus, is next to zero.

The danger in delaying for 2 weeks, to allow a few more million jabs, is that the same argument presents itself the following fortnight.  It's the ultimate example of procrastination.  Boris would send a clear, positive signal to the country by going ahead as planned on 21st June, perhaps with the caveat of recommending the use of face masks on public transport,  sanitising hands etc.

Yes I think there will be some caveat of some sort if he lifts restrictions on June 21st . Probably mask wearing in some places still . Never knew about the “ next To zero “ chances so that’s great news . 

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I think there will be some caveat of some sort if he lifts restrictions on June 21st . Probably mask wearing in some places still . Never knew about the “ next To zero “ chances so that’s great news . 

Just based on the real world data on the Indian variant where 12k cases resulted in 126 hospitalisations,  only 3 of whom had been double dosed 👍

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Just based on the real world data on the Indian variant where 12k cases resulted in 126 hospitalisations,  only 3 of whom had been double dosed 👍

Correct.  Hence the big push to get the 2nd dose jabs done.  Things look rather rosey once we're ploughing through that.  

Do The Dance
12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

She sits on TV every Saturday morning on breakfast TV enjoying her Andy Warhol moment. These people are loving the attention but she let it slip there alright.

I don’t know the context, but did she let it slip? Or did she say she didn’t agree with it? She’s not a government employee, and is an expert is she not? I could be well off here..

Do The Dance
Just now, Do The Dance said:

I don’t know the context, but did she let it slip? Or did she say she didn’t agree with it? She’s not a government employee, and is an expert is she not? I could be well off here..

although, I’ve just noticed we’re talking about testing here and not cancelling altogether.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Brilliant . Is there walk in centres for second jabs now ? I thought I read about that ? 

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Correct.  Hence the big push to get the 2nd dose jabs done.  Things look rather rosey once we're ploughing through that.  

Yes, completely agree. Hopefully the "walk in" centres will help us get to that point even more quickly than planned.  

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Brilliant . Is there walk in centres for second jabs now ? I thought I read about that ? 

Yes, James. I think only at Ingliston and Bathgate just now but iirc, all centres will have availability from Monday

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, completely agree. Hopefully the "walk in" centres will help us get to that point even more quickly than planned.  

Yeah.  All part and parcel of the race of virus vs vaccine.  Still well ahead.

Then it's a choice between jabbing the kids or punting out vaccines to far flung shores. 

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah.  All part and parcel of the race of virus vs vaccine.  Still well ahead.

Then it's a choice between jabbing the kids or punting out vaccines to far flung shores. 

Yes, that's going to be a difficult decision with good arguments for both.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, James. I think only at Ingliston and Bathgate just now but iirc, all centres will have availability from Monday

Cheers I’ll keep an eye open for one near me . 👍

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Victorian said:

I've been 2nd jab notified by text and now letter.  Anyone want to buy a letter?  ;)

😂

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You not got your date of your second jab? I have got mine and you were done before me.

Unlike the rest of my family been notified by text, letter and website.

No not heard a thing . I got mine on 13th April so not 12 weeks yet . 

44 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

QMU closes for vaccination on 12th June, I think.

Does it?

never knew that, any idea why they are closing it?

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m taking ID this time after having to show my online banking to prove I am me😡

My online banking proves it's not me with all the money I've saved.  

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I would check on website, though you will be eligible for the walk up. The problem is the time that may take.

To be honest I’ve not really thought much about it as I have until mid July before the 12 weeks are up but now thinkin May as well get it ASAP after reading more about the protection two jabs have . Oh and I better take some ID too after my carry on the last time 😂

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No not heard a thing . I got mine on 13th April so not 12 weeks yet . 

I had mine on the 8th April and got my letter this morning for 2nd dose 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic