Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

The industry I work in insists on limited / contractors. They are always business to business transactions and there are no “cash in hand” jobs.

There really isn’t much difference between sole trader and limited nowadays. As far as I’m aware, the HMRC now have the right to take your house I.e. the director of the limited company, of you close the business down whilst still owing debt. So I can’t just take out massive amounts of directors loans Then close the business without repercussions.

That clears up a lot of my confusion. I can now understand why you are so confused about the whole situation a bit better. Best of luck to you and everyone else. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, southcap said:

That clears up a lot of my confusion. I can now understand why you are so confused about the whole situation a bit better. Best of luck to you and everyone else. 

Thanks man! take care

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

There are 2 different types of self employed. Sole trader and limited (company). I assume you mean sole trader when you said self-employed. 

I don’t know is the answer.

As far as I’m aware, for companies with 2 or fewer employees, this is treated similarly to sole trader, although there are of course differences in how I pay myself / pay tax etc. 

I have asked my accountant but they’ve yet to get back to me. Busy time and all that! 

Although there seems to be a few of the usual “JKB experts” who know everything and anything about the self employed! (Not a dig at you btw).

I'm not an expert or having a dig, but the scheme for the self employed and employees look to have similar benefits. That is, people will get 80% of their taxable earnings paid by the government, if you are operating as limited company you will get 80% of what you took as a dividend. If you could survive on that last year presumably you can get by on 80% for a few months like everyone else.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Controversial view.  I wonder if NHS staff feel that way, not a loaded question but a genuine one.

maybe some of those on here could comment.  

Well I'm doing it. My nurse wife would not be happy if I don't.

Also decided today not to take the self-empoyed package from the Chancellor as I don't really need it. 

16 minutes ago, southcap said:

Although my understanding of self employed doesn't involve profits, just earnings minus taxes. 

Have to admit, I'm a bit confused here. 

Profit surely. That is what you declare on your tax return > income minus expenses. Tax is then applied to profit. 

4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I'm not an expert or having a dig, but the scheme for the self employed and employees look to have similar benefits. That is, people will get 80% of their taxable earnings paid by the government, if you are operating as limited company you will get 80% of what you took as a dividend. If you could survive on that last year presumably you can get by on 80% for a few months like everyone else.

That’s not how I read the statement.

It looked to be 80% of profit, which as I’m sure you’re aware, is different from income. 

Dividends, along with wages are classed as income ( I pay income tax on everything above £2000 on my dividend, albeit at a slightly different rate).

As per my previous post, if I receive 80% of profits (circa £750 per month) then I will receive £600 p/m whereas my taxable income was well above that.

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Well I'm doing it. My nurse wife would not be happy if I don't.

Also decided today not to take the self-empoyed package from the Chancellor as I don't really need it. 

Respect mate, I hope everyone is as honest as you.  

AlphonseCapone
50 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I didn’t mean for them, I meant as a permanent reminder for everyone for decades to come that we have that day as a Reminder of the sacrifices they made during this period.  

They should  get more money and better T&C’s immediately.

Your heart is absolutely in the right place so I'm not knocking you but these people have been making sacrifices for decades to help people. It's regretful so many people forget it. 

7 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

That’s not how I read the statement.

It looked to be 80% of profit, which as I’m sure you’re aware, is different from income. 

Dividends, along with wages are classed as income ( I pay income tax on everything above £2000 on my dividend, albeit at a slightly different rate).

As per my previous post, if I receive 80% of profits (circa £750 per month) then I will receive £600 p/m whereas my taxable income was well above that.

What I took from the statement is you would be entitled to 80% of what had been declared as taxable income, I understand this is different from gross income. As I said I'm not an expert and just going by what I've seen on the news.

indianajones
40 minutes ago, sadj said:

i don’t know mate , I am grateful for all they and others are doing however I'm not paying close attention to the news. My first knowledge of PPE shortage was when i asked how she was n she said ****ed off because she wants PPE not free cake n coffee.  Im sure there must be somewhere , theres bound to be a few on here who are involved or will have the answer

Cheers Sadj. This at ARI?

I might have some chemical PPE stuff at work which could be donated locally. Will investigate. 

Crazy times. Hope everyone is keeping safe. 

Well quite a few joined in along the street...well done to them

There should be no 'forced' element to this though..each to their own and just by following guidelines we are all helping in our own way

Stay safe one and all.

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

Because profit is different from incomings /turnover.

If, as a self employed person I am expected to receive 80% of profit, rather than income, then it is a huge difference.

For example me the director, pays Jambo89 the employee, £2000 per month.

Jambo89 ltd has been doing okay, £8,000 profit in year 1, £9,000 profit in year 2 and £10,000 in year 3. Averaged out over the 3 years thats £750 p/m profit. From that £750 p/m profit, I will receive 80% of that (£600) from the government X 3 so £1800. 

Whereas an employee in my position would have received 80% of there monthly wages £1600.

Don’t see how you can’t understand why it’s not fair. 

Anyway, all it means is that I will have to ignore the government's advice and go out to work, regardless of who I may infect  

You're hardly going to get 80% of your turnover covered though are you?

12 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

What I took from the statement is you would be entitled to 80% of what had been declared as taxable income, I understand this is different from gross income. As I said I'm not an expert and just going by what I've seen on the news.

If that is the case, then I’ve nothing to worry about and that would bring me in line with the rest of the country. However when you see headlines / articles like the one below:

28 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Profit surely. That is what you declare on your tax return > income minus expenses. Tax is then applied to profit. 

Have you got a link / anywhere reliable that states the grant (which won’t be available till June btw) is NOT based on profits? 

Thanks

Just now, Taffin said:

You're hardly going to get 80% of your turnover covered though are you?

Where did I say that? 

Think you might need to read the post again.

I just passed a bunch of absolute idiots having some party with their kids in attendance.

I was on my to the shop and couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Mainly females in their pj’s with the children in tow, pissed and standing outside of a flat where the music was pumping out the window.

The flat involved is opposite “Jade palace” Chinese. If anyone happens to know these cretins, let them know that their putting people’s life at risk. This isn’t chicken pox - unreal

Edited by Tynieman

2 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

I just passed a bunch of absolute idiots having some party with their kids in attendance.

I was on my to the shop and couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Mainly females in their pj’s with the children in tow, pissed and standing outside of a flat where the music was pumping out the window.

The flat involved is opposite “Jade palace” Chinese. If anyone happens to know these cretins, let them know that their putting people’s life at risk. This isn’t chicken pox - unreal

Jesus.   Police should know this.

We went to the front door to applaud at 8. I thought it would probably just be the three of us looking like eejits but no...quite a loud ripple of applause; even a firework. 

It was nice. 

No help, I suppose, but certainly no harm. 

Edited by martoon

11 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Where did I say that? 

Think you might need to read the post again.

Apologies, I must have picked you up wrongly. I'm not too sure what you are suggesting would be a fairer calculation in that case. It seems a pretty good deal to me, and those I'm friends with who it affects seem pretty pleased too by it.

Edited by Taffin

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Not looking good. 
She’s been moved to the ICU and put into an induced coma.

Ian, just read this, very sorry to hear it. Really hope she pulls through.

Just now, martoon said:

We went to the front door to applaud at 8. I thought it would probably just the three of us looking like eejits but no. Quite a loud ripple of applause; even a firework. 

It was nice. 

Me and the wife thought the exact same but again we were surprised loud applause from all over.Our street only has 4 houses and we were the only ones out but one is a care worker so she wasn't home.

16 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

If that is the case, then I’ve nothing to worry about and that would bring me in line with the rest of the country. However when you see headlines / articles like the one below:

Have you got a link / anywhere reliable that states the grant (which won’t be available till June btw) is NOT based on profits? 

Thanks

Here's a link to the government website

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-gives-support-to-millions-of-self-employed-individuals

And here's what it says about dividends, I hope one way or the other you are eligible for support.

"Those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes."

12 minutes ago, martoon said:

We went to the front door to applaud at 8. I thought it would probably just be the three of us looking like eejits but no...quite a loud ripple of applause; even a firework. 

It was nice. 

Yup me and the Mrs opened the door very sheepishly and started to applaud and to our complete surprise most of the street were outside their homes clapping shouting ect  it was quite emotional TBH.

4 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Interesting watch. Cheers. 

It would appear that Bill Gates has a surprising amount of knowledge on this type of thing. And no doubt access to actual high level experts.

Konrad von Carstein
4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Not looking good. 
She’s been moved to the ICU and put into an induced coma.

That is horrific, thoughts with you and yours.

18 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Ian, just read this, very sorry to hear it. Really hope she pulls through.

15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

@iantjambo

Hope she pulls through.

12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Indeed, all the best Iatjambo, fingers crossed🤞

Cheers lads 👍🏻

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Cheers lads 👍🏻

All the best to you and yours ian. 

21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Me and the wife thought the exact same but again we were surprised loud applause from all over.Our street only has 4 houses and we were the only ones out but one is a care worker so she wasn't home.

10 minutes ago, micole said:

Yup me and the Mrs opened the door very sheepishly and started to applaud and to our complete surprise most of the street were outside their homes clapping shouting ect  it was quite emotional TBH.

Aye. Found it quite heartwarming. 

Psychedelicropcircle

This is going to have a serious negative affect on tits Monday when it comes around. Raging!

31 minutes ago, martoon said:

It was nice. 

I forgot  😞

47 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Cheers Sadj. This at ARI?

I might have some chemical PPE stuff at work which could be donated locally. Will investigate. 

Crazy times. Hope everyone is keeping safe. 

Yeah ARI 👍🏻 Good man , im sure it would be appreciated 

Surely if there's any revisionism to previous forecasts based on models on the basis of much wider infection,    the place to look for data is South Korea.     They have completely blown everyone else away in the way it was contained.    Mass testing and contact tracing.     If there's a previously unknown wider scale infection rate involving previously unknown numbers of asymptomatic / mildest symptom cases,    the place to test that is in the data of the best testers of the virus.

Separately,    there still appears to be little knowledge regarding data on immunity.    Immune response does occur but they still have no idea how the immunity of the recovered will remain.    

2 hours ago, kila said:

Worth a wee read: 

"As a result, yesterday's death stats looked much lower than expected but unfortunately that was a crossover day when the times were being altered. So today the stats are likely to look far higher."

So I guess we can't get a real idea of the change until tomorrow's figures.

The annoying thing unless I'm mistaken, is that no-one said yesterday 'the numbers are low due to......and expect a rise tomorrow....and from they day after the figures will be more reflective of where we are..'

Politics though eh...

I was in the shower at 8 so forgot about and missed the whole thing. 

Mrs Homme is front line in NHS and was quite emotional about it - she said it fel weird but nice but then she is modest. 

Certainly not patronising or otherwise. Some may not like all those social media inspired stuff but tonight I imagine was genuine gratitude from a population who are pretty scared and need people to look to. 

The more I think about it, a couple of comments on this thread are out of order imo. 

18 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I forgot  😞

There will be others, bud. 

Unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, Homme said:

I was in the shower at 8 so forgot about and missed the whole thing. 

Mrs Homme is front line in NHS and was quite emotional about it - she said it fel weird but nice but then she is modest. 

Certainly not patronising or otherwise. Some may not like all those social media inspired stuff but tonight I imagine was genuine gratitude from a population who are pretty scared and need people to look to. 

The more I think about it, a couple of comments on this thread are out of order imo. 

They are, bud. 

Standing at your front door applauding doesn't really help in a practical way but it's a damn sight more constructive than snidey comments. 

Edited by martoon

Just now, martoon said:

They are, bud. 

Standing at your front door applauding doesn't really help in a practical way but it's a damn sight more constructive than snidey comments. 

It helps them know they're appreciated. Maybe not by their bosses or government but at least by their families friends and neighbours. 

They know they've got the support of the UK and that's what will keep them going. 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

It helps them know they're appreciated. Maybe not by their bosses or government but at least by their families friends and neighbours. 

They know they've got the support of the UK and that's what will keep them going. 

👏👍

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I admit I am naive. I'm more thinking of people that just get paid cash in hand, lump it in the bank and do the self assessment to figure out what they owe on those earnings. 

Eg, they only declare the earnings of what they make after they pay their outgoings. 

Your example makes more sense. 

Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, Homme said:

I just hope our current government get the reality check they need about how essential the nhs and finally stop trying to punt it off to private companies. 

Being naive again, probably, but hopefully they realise a healthy country equals a healthy economy. 

The NHS should never be for sale. 

10 minutes ago, Homme said:

The way I see it when we ever get to the other side of this disaster and the history of it is being written the applause event will be one of the abiding memories of those in the front line.

Pasquale for King

It seems that Rangers ******* Gordon Ramsay has sacked 500 staff, he’s worth an estimated £140m. I hope nobody watches his outdated shows or goes to his restaurants when they reopen.

13 minutes ago, Homme said:

They do, and that's good.

But...come the next general election, how many of those clapping will still put their cross in the Tory box?

Just now, Boris said:

They do, and that's good.

But...come the next general election, how many of those clapping will still put their cross in the Tory box?

A question for another day. 

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It seems that Rangers ******* Gordon Ramsay has sacked 500 staff, he’s worth an estimated £140m. I hope nobody watches his outdated shows or goes to his restaurants when they reopen.

All the more rage inducing in that he has said his kids will get hee haw from him when he dies...WTF is going to happen to his 140 million? Selfish arrogant tosspot.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

A question for another day. 

Indeed. The unfolding crisis has to be the priority. Though one thing that actually briefly crossed my mind since they have been likening it to a war situation. Might it be time to implement the traditional British answer to war? Coalition government.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic