Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

43 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I see Israel are down to 20 or 30 positive cases a day now that the majority are vaccinated.

Everything is back open again too.

The 18 folk in hospital in Bolton were all eligible for a vaccine, but didn't take it up.

Hancock didn't give a breakdown of age group, or whether other health issues, but please folks, take the vaccine, whatever your age.  And the medical staff believe it is ok for you to take it.

Edited by DETTY29

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Hancock on sky just now saying they have a degree of confidence that vaccines works against Indian variant. 

Only caught an extract on 5L but he spoke of labs in Oxford, so was he talking specifically that the AZ concerns are reducing?

12 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But, but, but...there's an Indian,  SA, Kent, Brazilian* variant that's sooo much more transmissible than one of the other ones  * delete as applicable 

Haha yeah, the Kent variant. What a con that was, it only kept us in lockdown for 3 months. 

JudyJudyJudy
44 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Excellent. Now they can re-focus their energies on sorting those Palestinian terrorists out. It'll be good to get a bit of practice in for their upcoming pagger with Iran.

Might book a wee summer holiday in Eilat while it's still there.

50 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Excellent. Now they can re-focus their energies on sorting those Palestinian terrorists out. It'll be good to get a bit of practice in for their upcoming pagger with Iran.

Might book a wee summer holiday in Eilat while it's still there.

690BB233-2FED-476F-89F7-8C8E412128FA.gif

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Hancock on sky just now saying they have a degree of confidence that vaccines works against Indian variant. 

Quelle surprise 

Francis Albert

Hope the good news keeps coming.

And we can turn our thoughts to the vast army of underemployed experts deprived of chances to get their name in the papers and their faces on television.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

The 18 folk in hospital in Bolton were all eligible for a vaccine, but didn't take it up.

Hancock didn't give a breakdown of age group, or whether other health issues, but please folks, take the vaccine, whatever your age.  And the medical staff believe it is ok for you to take it.

Surprised this hasn't been more widely reported. Would be good for encouraging take up of the vaccine.

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Hope the good news keeps coming.

And we can turn our thoughts to the vast army of underemployed experts deprived of chances to get their name in the papers and their faces on television.

You’ll be first in line I take it?

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Haha yeah, the Kent variant. What a con that was, it only kept us in lockdown for 3 months. 

The winter and an unvaccinated population kept us in lockdown longer, regardless of which of the resident variants or support acts were on stage. Now, we have the majority of people protected,  particularly those most susceptible,  and the summer months ahead. There is no comparison.  The focus now moves to the economy, levelling up and building back stronger; the fundamentals that ensure we can pay for our NHS.

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Surprised this hasn't been more widely reported. Would be good for encouraging take up of the vaccine.

We need to target the particular cultures and communities that are refusing to take the vaccine.

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We need to target the particular cultures and communities that are refusing to take the vaccine.

That  might be viewed by some as cultural imperialism. As it is the Guardian line on the more adverse impact of the virus and low vaccination rates in some communities is a symptom of the country's systemic racism. 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The winter and an unvaccinated population kept us in lockdown longer, regardless of which of the resident variants or support acts were on stage. Now, we have the majority of people protected,  particularly those most susceptible,  and the summer months ahead. There is no comparison.  The focus now moves to the economy, levelling up and building back stronger; the fundamentals that ensure we can pay for our NHS.

Hear hear ! 

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

That  might be viewed by some as cultural imperialism. As it is the Guardian line on the more adverse impact of the virus and low vaccination rates in some communities is a symptom of the country's systemic racism. 

The Guardian is a laughing stock now 

30 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Are you actually employed by the Tory PR dept?  You sound ridiculous.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The Guardian is a laughing stock now 

Now? It's been that way since Comment Is Free was invented. Still, it obviously drives clicks, which is what it is all about.

PS If you want to laugh at true "REE!" lefty anger, switch to the Grauniad Australia.

15 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But, but, but...there's an Indian,  SA, Kent, Brazilian* variant that's sooo much more transmissible than one of the other ones  * delete as applicable 

A pattern (no not you wanting UK to do what Brazil and India did in relaxing restrictions)

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Now? It's been that way since Comment Is Free was invented. Still, it obviously drives clicks, which is what it is all about.

PS If you want to laugh at true "REE!" lefty anger, switch to the Grauniad Australia.

Eh no think reading the Guardian online is enough 😂

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It wasn't so much Comment is Free that was the problem. It was the dropping of the "Facts are Sacred" part of CP Scott's dictum  and the implied separation of the two.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A pattern (no not you wanting UK to do what Brazil and India did in relaxing restrictions)

"could have" and "may have" yet again.

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I watched the Hancock interview on Marr this morning and he said that one person out of the 18 in hospital had both jabs, but they were old and frail.

It certainly looks like the vaccine works and keeps people out of hospital.

You would have to be mad to knock back the vaccine

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I watched the Hancock interview on Marr this morning and he said that one person out of the 18 in hospital had both jabs, but they were old and frail.

Isn’t it refreshing to get clarity about the deaths of those with covid ie age , Health etc ? Hardly ever mentioned really , but good for his to dispel any fear that it might attack less vulnerable peoples and therefore be more worrying . Naturally very sad for the older woman who died as any death is one too many . 

Nucky Thompson
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Isn’t it refreshing to get clarity about the deaths of those with covid ie age , Health etc ? Hardly ever mentioned really , but good for his to dispel any fear that it might attack less vulnerable peoples and therefore be more worrying . Naturally very sad for the older woman who died as any death is one too many . 

I don't think the person that Hancock is talking about has died, just being treated in hospital

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't think the person that Hancock is talking about has died, just being treated in hospital

Even better then 

8 minutes ago, Candy said:

Anyine know what age group are we at with the vaccine roll out?

At a guess I’d say they are starting on people around 46ish 

Thats just going by friends who had it on frid who are 47 and 48 

11 minutes ago, Candy said:

40 plus nearing the end. Quite a lot but not all 30 plus getting appointments now

32 minutes ago, Candy said:

From Travelling Tabby. It depends on which area you live in - if you live in one of the cities then they are currently behind other areas.

256570_Screenshotat2021-05-1615-14-36.png.03108128552665335687ac6801fd1813.png

2125438601_Screenshotat2021-05-1615-15-03.png.c5440b460114b83d45e824b0d24f06e4.png

36 minutes ago, Candy said:

from next week england are opening it to over 35s. but it is area dependant as some of my friends to theirs last week and they are just 30

41 minutes ago, Candy said:

I am 41 and got mine on Tuesday on Edinburgh Council area

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Cheers.

It was 5L that reported it as all 18.

But yep, folk should take it up.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Candy said:

Seems to be 40-45. Most of my 45+ friends were done in the last 2 weeks. I’m 42 and mine is tomorrow. 

17 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

What ever happened to ladies ? 😂😂

What ever happened to public toilets? When I go out I need to plan where I go and what route I take because of the lack of public toilets. On occasions I have to find a discreet place to facility my needs. 
I think these ladies should have tried harder to find a better spot to relieve themselves. 

Malinga the Swinga
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Probably hardly any of those ***** were from Glasgow. South Lanarkshire and Northern Ireland. 

The vast majority will have been from Glasgow. About time Glasgow faced up to its sectarian problem instead of trying to blame everyone/anyone else. 

frankblack
28 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

What ever happened to public toilets? When I go out I need to plan where I go and what route I take because of the lack of public toilets. On occasions I have to find a discreet place to facility my needs. 
I think these ladies should have tried harder to find a better spot to relieve themselves. 

Problem is worse with the shutdown of hospitality as you can't just pop into a boozer for a quick slash.

highlandjambo3
7 hours ago, theshed said:

Plenty arrived in Edinburgh passing through to Glasgow on the train from there yesterday 

Bumped into a family up here today from Kilmarnock, they’re up for a weekend break…….kilmarnock, not sure if they were allowed to or not

Brighton Jambo

1900 new cases in the UK today but 290 of those were in Scotland.  Those are horrendous numbers, Is there something I am missing? Does anyone know what the positivity rate was, is that because we did more tests? 

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

1900 new cases in the UK today but 290 of those were in Scotland.  Those are horrendous numbers, Is there something I am missing? Does anyone know what the positivity rate was, is that because we did more tests? 

positivity 2%

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

positivity 2%

Thanks, that’s really good news.  Seems like the testing must have really ramped up in Glasgow over the weekend.  

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Hoping that I'm not going to upset anyone with my use of the terminology, but we're having a surge in cases in Scotland at the moment, generally limited to several council areas, notably Glasgow (102 7-day per-capita case rate) and East Renfrewshire (90). Moray appears now to have stabilised at 61 but Midlothian and South Lanarkshire are now both over the 50. Today's positivity rate was 2.0%, the 7-day average having crept up from a stable 1.2% to 1.5% over the last few days. The overall case rate has us now where we were over a month ago. The explanation - who knows, the election perhaps?

JudyJudyJudy
51 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Shut down due to covid I believe 

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Problem is worse with the shutdown of hospitality as you can't just pop into a boozer for a quick slash.

Yes one of my friends doesn’t have a coffee In town with me due to toilets not being opened as he has bladder issues ! Me I just have learnt to keep it in ! 😂

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Hoping that I'm not going to upset anyone with my use of the terminology, but we're having a surge in cases in Scotland at the moment, generally limited to several council areas, notably Glasgow (102 7-day per-capita case rate) and East Renfrewshire (90). Moray appears now to have stabilised at 61 but Midlothian and South Lanarkshire are now both over the 50. Today's positivity rate was 2.0%, the 7-day average having crept up from a stable 1.2% to 1.5% over the last few days. The overall case rate has us now where we were over a month ago. The explanation - who knows, the election perhaps?

The explanation is that it was always going to happen when we open up . It’s how we deal with it , without panicking and people getting  up to 90 about it and demanding swift draconian measures like lockdowns instead of just waiting and seeing how things pan out. Be interesting to see if there are any “ surges” in covid in Glasgow in next week or so due to yesterday events but past gatherings have indicated it’s not the case . Maybe a surge in pregnancies and STDs though 

Edited by JamesM48

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The UK figure today is the lowest in a week

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Shut down due to covid I believe 

Yes one of my friends doesn’t have a coffee In town with me due to toilets not being opened as he has bladder issues ! Me I just have learnt to keep it in ! 😂

A lot of Public toilets were shut to save money. There used to be one at the bottom of Ardmilan Tce which I often used and one just of Morningside Drive too which I used which has closed. All to save money but no thought to the general public who need them. We are left to find a willing cafe or pub to allow passers by the privilege of using them. 

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The UK figure today is the lowest in a week

That was my point.  As a percentage of the overall UK case number Scotland’s number is disproportionately high.  

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The explanation is that it was always going to happen when we open up . It’s how we deal with it , without panicking and people getting  up to 90 about it and demanding swift draconian measures like lockdowns instead of just waiting and seeing how things pan out. Be interesting to see if there are any “ surges” in covid in Glasgow in next week or so due to yesterday events but past gatherings have indicated it’s not the case . Maybe a surge in preventives and STDs though 

Never mind.

Edited by redjambo

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Boy Daniel said:

A lot of Public toilets were shut to save money. There used to be one at the bottom of Ardmilan Tce which I often used and one just of Morningside Drive too which I used which has closed. All to save money but no thought to the general public who need them. We are left to find a willing cafe or pub to allow passers by the privilege of using them. 

Yes think there have been some cafes etc given money by the council to allow people to use their toilets as you often get daggers if you try use them without buying anything ! Yes ardmillan  closed ages ago as many others have .

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes think there have been some cafes etc given money by the council to allow people to use their toilets as you often get daggers if you try use them without buying anything ! Yes ardmillan  closed ages ago as many others have .

Do you get daggers in Diggers?

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Edit: I'm talking rubbish here. I should have focussed on the STDs. :D

😂😂😂👍

Just now, JamesM48 said:

😂😂😂👍

:D You're too quick for me - I edited that post a second time. Time for a post-meridian perambulation, methinks. Hope you're doing well, James.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic