Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Dagger Is Back
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I wasn't crowing or lambasting just trying to put the UK outcome in perspective. All assessments are ptrliminary anyway. 

The vaccination programme has perhaps "saved our bacon" but it has been based on decisions taken by the UK which others did not take. 

Pretty sure we stumbled into the successful vaccination programme as a result of Hancock watching the film Contagion and the penny dropping that there would be a massive fight for the vaccine.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Spot on. Inconsistent information has been one of the biggest issues we've faced during the pandemic, often because no-one actually knows. How long does the virus remain on a metal doorknob, for example? What is needed is proper research into these issues, and that takes time, so much of what we get without the actual research is informed guessing, rather than the reality of "We don't have a scooby, but perhaps to be on the safe side...".

Agreed Red. I never realised how many ‘experts’ we had in this country.

We would have benefited from one singer one song

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I wasn't crowing or lambasting just trying to put the UK outcome in perspective. All assessments are ptrliminary anyway. 

The vaccination programme has perhaps "saved our bacon" but it has been based on decisions taken by the UK which others did not take. 

I wasn't having a go at you personally at all with "crowing or lambasting", FA, it was a general comment. I personally don't think anything is to be gained from either of these at this moment in time. What we (and in fact the whole world because we're all in this together when it comes to a pandemic) need to do is analyse, learn and improve. And I think we'll find that the resulting conclusions will be very similar for all countries. The fact that different countries took different approaches (not only from each other but at different times themselves) is very beneficial to see what worked and what didn't work.

14 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Agreed Red. I never realised how many ‘experts’ we had in this country.

We would have benefited from one singer one song

There's perhaps a bit of human psychology involved, DiB. When you're an "expert" in that you have some knowledge in a particular field, and you're placed in front of a camera and asked "So what's the situation with so and so?", are you going to feel comfortable replying "Well, actually, I have no idea"? Of course you should be, but there is pressure to produce something, anything, that shows how expert you are.

One of the key jobs of government and bodies like the WHO, is to take all the research and evidence, synthesise it, and provide it to everyone in a digestible format. They have to be completely rigorous and honest in doing so. If we know that the information we're getting from these top-level sources is the best information currently available, we can place priority on this rather than listening to individuals. While maintaining a healthy open mind, of course.

Whether the UK Govt/SG/NHS/WHO have done this well enough during the pandemic will be open for debate but I personally think they have done reasonably well. It's just that they have been trying to shout in a very noisy room for much of the time.

Edited by redjambo

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Thanks folks. It’s little wonder that we’re all confused from time to time.

The differing views of so called experts and the media coverage of same has been an issue throughout.

Definitely, having read all that I feel a bit daft having washed my hands every time I come in or using so much hand sanitizer. I can see why others don’t, mask wearing seems to be dropping as well. 
Probably keep doing it though, just in case 😆

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

You get the impression from many posts on here that the UK (and Scotland) are outliers as far as the impact of Covid is concerned. In fact in terms of deaths per 1m population the UK is currently tenth in the European League and with other countries notably France and Spain currently suffering death rates very much higher (5 times In Spain and 10 times in France) than the UK, the UK is likely to soon slip down the table. Of course the UK has made mistakes but so have most countries. Easy with hindsight to say what should have been done when but of course the outcome with different decisions is unknown.

It seems the U.K. is getting better as the vaccine roll out kicks in here as it slows in other places. 
Fourteen months later they’ve still not learnt the lesson of closing the borders properly though,as the Indian variant demonstrates. https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/deaths-covid-19

B27A76DA-093F-4170-860F-2EFC48F240FA.jpeg

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely, having read all that I feel a bit daft having washed my hands every time I come in or using so much hand sanitizer. I can see why others don’t, mask wearing seems to be dropping as well. 
Probably keep doing it though, just in case 😆

Don’t feel daft for washing your hands regularly or whenever you get into your house.  It’s not just respiratory viruses like coronaviruses you’re getting rid of, there’s all sorts of nasties out there.

2nd jag on May 30.

At the Hydro. Aw Naw, how can I cope, there's a vaccine centre 5 minutes away and I need to go to Glesga. :yadayada: Fecking Sturgeon, gies my vote back. 

Edited by ri Alban

9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Can't moan about her giving Glasgow preferential treatment so instead moan about her being on a power trip. Utterly predictable.

Its hilarious isn't it. They were on here slating her saying there wasn't a hope in hell she would leave her beloved Glasgow on level 3; you know, the Glasgow that runs Scotland. A sudden 180 from the anti-snp brigade and now she's on a power trip. 

11 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

They were correct to try and be more restrictive; I have no problem with admitting that.  But for it to be successful they needed to persuade England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to do the same.

They either failed to persuade them or knew they would never be persuaded and so went ahead anyway for political point scoring reasons.  Doing it alone with the approach of the four other nations being different was just a complete waste of time.  

Thanks, we finally got there. Glad you agree with me. 

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You get the impression from many posts on here that the UK (and Scotland) are outliers as far as the impact of Covid is concerned. In fact in terms of deaths per 1m population the UK is currently tenth in the European League and with other countries notably France and Spain currently suffering death rates very much higher (5 times In Spain and 10 times in France) than the UK, the UK is likely to soon slip down the table. Of course the UK has made mistakes but so have most countries. Easy with hindsight to say what should have been done when but of course the outcome with different decisions is unknown.

This is where my head is at. It will likely be well into next year before you can start to really compare how 'well' a country has performed.

Saying the vaccine saved our bacon is like say a good goalkeeper saved his team...which is sort of his purpose.

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

In what way is arresting two apparently Sikh lads during a Muslim festival disrespectful? They're not in a Muslim community, either. They're in Scotland/the UK. That's where their visas are for.

Are all the brown folk lumped in together now? Braw. I'll be lobbying for Orthodox Christmas and Easter off from my boss next year, being white an' all.

Has Sturgeon been misleading us again on the facts in this case ?

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

In what way is arresting two apparently Sikh lads during a Muslim festival disrespectful? They're not in a Muslim community, either. They're in Scotland/the UK. That's where their visas are for.

Are all the brown folk lumped in together now? Braw. I'll be lobbying for Orthodox Christmas and Easter off from my boss next year, being white an' all.

I bet there was plenty folk watching the news saying to themselves and their pals 'get the Muslim terrorists out' for no other reason than looking at the colour of their skin and the big beards.

And the HO know it and why the whole raid was planned as it was.

Edited by DETTY29

Jeffros Furios
27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

One of lads visa expired in 2015 and blamed Covid for  ot having it renewed :gok:

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Handshakes allowed from Monday again, for those who are a big fan of a firm hand shake.

Barry get roond aww ma pals own monday,:berra:

I see six, fully vaccinated, members of the NY Yankees have all tested positive for Covid. 

This shits just never going to be beaten, is it? 

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

I see six, fully vaccinated, members of the NY Yankees have all tested positive for Covid. 

I thought we always knew you could still get Covid when vaccinated and the main aim was to prevent serious illness, death and hospitalisations?

It was only after that people started their agenda to have everyone vaccinated to stop the spread etc.

If the vaccines prevent most people who catch it ending up in hospital or extremely ill then for me, that's it done. It's beaten, let's get on with living again.

38 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So second doses to be accelerated for over 50’s. I thought the 12 week was designed to maximise immunity, especially with the AZ vaccine. Does reducing this timescale change effectiveness?

Suppose pluses and minuses to any strategy.

If I recollect AZ first dose is about 65% efficacy, pushing up to 90% after dose 2, whereas Pfeizer was high end 80s at dose 2, with dose two, adding in another single, low double digit efficacy.  

Increasing from 3 or 4 weeks to 12 was about getting as much of the population given some form of protection as possible.

The challenge with reducing timescale is what happens if we have another bump with supply and does it delay getting the younger groups even a first dose.  And as the younger ones are the ones most likely to be out and about, ignoring guidelines, then the virus will focus on them and if they do catch it, get it worse than they did if they had caught it months ago.

It's not quite Catch 22, but not far off it.

That said as all the 39s and younger are getting Pfeizer now, they should be fine.  

It's another wee bit of a kick to AZ on top of blood clots that probably aren't an issue; pregnant women being advised to take Pfeizer or Moderna that probably isn't an issue and it's efficacy being a bit lower on dose 1.

Perhaps in planning Pfeizer could have been say 10-12 week gap and AZ 3-6 weeks but you then risk millions of folk turning up for their vaccine, refusing AZ and wanting Pfeizer.

(Aplos if the efficacy figures are all wrong)

Edited by DETTY29

11 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I’d beg to differ. Boris was hospitalised shortly after visiting Covid patients in hospital and proudly proclaiming that he’d been shaking hands with them. 

He’s been the captain of a ship that’s careered into one blunder after another.

I have no problem holding him accountable for the mismanagement of this pandemic and the subsequent death toll. 

Likewise. He’s a crook and no amount of intentional buffoonery can disguise a very devious man.

A pathological liar. 
It now turns out, surprise surprise, that  India’s rate was 4 times higher than Pakistan at the start of April. Pakistan went on the red list yet it was another two weeks before India was added.

Ahead of the world ?

Ma hoop !

33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So second doses to be accelerated for over 50’s. I thought the 12 week was designed to maximise immunity, especially with the AZ vaccine. Does reducing this timescale change effectiveness?

Suppose pluses and minuses to any strategy.

They say no.  Or not much.  From watching the explanations it would seem that the difference is minimal,  albeit not negligible.

I think the 12 week gap was sold as the optimum because it suited another purpose to spread out 1st dose protection to a larger number.  The clinical trial involved only a 4 week gap because the scientists wanted to gather data in the quickest time possible.  The 12 week gap was roughly estimated to increase population protection from 85% to 95%.  Even just a non-scientific assumption might be that the 8 week gap will increase 85% to 90%.

10 minutes ago, Boab said:

Likewise. He’s a crook and no amount of intentional buffoonery can disguise a very devious man.

A pathological liar. 
It now turns out, surprise surprise, that  India’s rate was 4 times higher than Pakistan at the start of April. Pakistan went on the red list yet it was another two weeks before India was added.

Ahead of the world ?

Ma hoop !

It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson's 50.50 life chance of dying was spin and more a case of if no treatment he'd be at that 50.50.

But it gave him a scare and he focused his mind for a while, but as with everything, the boredom and attention to detail and need to move on to the next big promise over took him.

And the latest was delay, delay on India because he wanted to go there, come back triumphant on a new trade deal which in reality wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I congratulate him on his ability to keep ahead of the game his whole career, leaving others to pick up the pieces.

Edited by DETTY29

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson's 50.50 life chance of dying was spin and more a case of if no treatment he'd be at that 50.50.

But it gave him a scare and he focused his mind for a while, but as with everything, the boredom and attention to detail and need to move on to the next big promise over took him.

And the latest was delay, delay on India because he wanted to go there, come back triumphant on a new trade deal which in reality wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I congratulate him on his ability to keep ahead of the game his whole career, leaving others to pick up the pieces.

If course it was a delay. A political decision. 

I'm totally lost with what the rules are these days but I've just spoke to a mate who is heading to Glasgow in a group of about 20 folk for the rangers title bash. Got the tweedbank borders train then another to Glasgow. I've also seen plane loads of folk flying in from Belfast so presumably free travel is allowed now? Seems a bit strange to allow tens of thousands of folk to travel in from all over the UK to a city that is apparently high on case numbers and transmission right now 🤔🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I'm totally lost with what the rules are these days but I've just spoke to a mate who is heading to Glasgow in a group of about 20 folk for the rangers title bash. Got the tweedbank borders train then another to Glasgow. I've also seen plane loads of folk flying in from Belfast so presumably free travel is allowed now? Seems a bit strange to allow tens of thousands of folk to travel in from all over the UK to a city that is apparently high on case numbers and transmission right now 🤔🤷‍♂️

Glasgow is level 3 so this is all against the rules. 

56 minutes ago, Norm said:

The vaccines stop you from getting seriously ill, they don't stop you from catching the virus. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Don’t feel daft for washing your hands regularly or whenever you get into your house.  It’s not just respiratory viruses like coronaviruses you’re getting rid of, there’s all sorts of nasties out there.

I really noticed at work how much I really should’ve washed my hands and or sanitised them a lot more regularly to be honest. I take more alcohol in through my hands these days than my mouth 😆😂

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

I was just reporting why they were saying it was disrespectful, I’m not a fan of any religion. I think most people get Xmas and Easter off do they not?

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Has Sturgeon been misleading us again on the facts in this case ?

Yes 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Handshakes allowed from Monday again, for those who are a big fan of a firm hand shake.

Yes I can’t wait for a few stiff ones from Monday 

57 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I thought we always knew you could still get Covid when vaccinated and the main aim was to prevent serious illness, death and hospitalisations?

It was only after that people started their agenda to have everyone vaccinated to stop the spread etc.

If the vaccines prevent most people who catch it ending up in hospital or extremely ill then for me, that's it done. It's beaten, let's get on with living again.

Exactly . End of . I f deaths still happen . Tough titty. ( hopefully not obviously) but we have all done our deal with the devil ( govt) by taking the vaccine , they now need to honour their side of it 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Norm said:

Question is, did they feel any effects or end up I’ll in hospital? 

The vaccine is there for 2 reasons, firstly to reduce the chances of you catching COVID (therefor reducing the spread) and crucially, if you do catch COVID you have a better chance of not getting ill (you may not even know you have caught it.  And yes your right, it’s never going to be beaten but we will learn to live next to it and yes, people will still die regularly from the virus.

Not ITK but, I recon self testing and isolation will be with us for quite some time to keep cases as low as possible.

Captain Sausage

Reported that the Indian variant may cause 20k hospitalisations per day (5x greater than January) and 1k deaths per day if it is 40-50% more transmissible. 

I’m going to end up sounding like Michael Gove here, and please forgive me, but I’m getting sick of all the ‘experts’. 

It was absolutely inevitable that we’d experience variants due to the sheer number of infections. Apparently the vaccine efficacy isn’t impacted by this variant, yet it may be more transmissible. But why the **** did they come out with these numbers. Let’s be realistic, with a population that is well protected by vaccination, how could it be possible for us to get to numbers that are 5x higher than we saw over Christmas? It just seems like researchers are grasping at ridiculous assumptions to maximise their publicity. 

We have a vaccine programme that has already protected the most vulnerable, and is currently working down to those who are incredibly unlikely to die of it. In what ****ing world are we getting 1000 deaths a day when the whole country is protected?!

JudyJudyJudy

Suppose one good thing about covid is my levels of drinking have dropped considerably . However we had a few outside then back at house and got pished. Bed at 430 am ! Hangovers really are the pits 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

Reported that the Indian variant may cause 20k hospitalisations per day (5x greater than January) and 1k deaths per day if it is 40-50% more transmissible. 

I’m going to end up sounding like Michael Gove here, and please forgive me, but I’m getting sick of all the ‘experts’. 

It was absolutely inevitable that we’d experience variants due to the sheer number of infections. Apparently the vaccine efficacy isn’t impacted by this variant, yet it may be more transmissible. But why the **** did they come out with these numbers. Let’s be realistic, with a population that is well protected by vaccination, how could it be possible for us to get to numbers that are 5x higher than we saw over Christmas? It just seems like researchers are grasping at ridiculous assumptions to maximise their publicity. 

We have a vaccine programme that has already protected the most vulnerable, and is currently working down to those who are incredibly unlikely to die of it. In what ****ing world are we getting 1000 deaths a day when the whole country is protected?!

Scare mongering ? 

Edited by JamesM48

29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Glasgow is level 3 so this is all against the rules. 

Is it ? I thought the travel ban was lifted a few weeks ago even for level 3. 

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes 

Yes I can’t wait for a few stiff ones from Monday 

Exactly . End of . I f deaths still happen . Tough titty. ( hopefully not obviously) but we have all done our deal with the devil ( govt) by taking the vaccine , they now need to honour their side of it 

Not all of us...because the despite the narrative, a large amount of us still haven't been deemed necessary to vaccinate yet.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Not all of us...because the despite the narrative, a large amount of us still haven't been deemed necessary to vaccinate yet.

Sorry I meant the eiderly and vulnerable . The don’t need it ! 1.23 .......,

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Sorry I meant the eiderly and vulnerable . The don’t need it ! 1.23 .......,

I agree, was just pointing out that whilst they keep encouraging everyone to do their bit etc it's clear there it isn't a priority for younger to be vaccinated. If it's not a priority why would I prioritise getting it when they eventually offer it?!?

Old and vulnerable vaccinated should have been the end of it. If the vaccines do their original stated aim of preventing serious illness and death in 90% of people.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Taffin said:

I agree, was just pointing out that whilst they keep encouraging everyone to do their bit etc it's clear there it isn't a priority for younger to be vaccinated. If it's not a priority why would I prioritise getting it when they eventually offer it?!?

Old and vulnerable vaccinated should have been the end of it. If the vaccines do their original stated aim of preventing serious illness and death in 90% of people.

My thoughts exactly . End of . 

16 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Is it ? I thought the travel ban was lifted a few weeks ago even for level 3. 

"Glasgow and Moray will remain in Level 3 from Monday 17 May and travel to and from these areas will be prohibited other than for permitted purposes, due to a high rate of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/

Enzo Chiefo
11 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Is that really true about handshakes? That’s not my understanding. He must have been pretty close to have shaken hands with patients in a hospital because of Covid? 

Learning on the hoof is one thing. Making mistake after mistake when in possession of information that would redirect you from a course of action is negligent and criminal.

They’re not mistakes they are decisions taken, often inexplicably delayed, often despite evidence suggesting they were wrong and others which seem to many to have been taken for reasons other than the well being of the population. 

He needs held to account as do the SG with the nursing home disaster amongst others.

It’s healthy to debate but I suspect we won’t agree

Yes, completely agree Dagger.  Always good to have healthy debate.

Enzo Chiefo
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Since the disease spreads via respiratory droplets, neither a handshake or fist bump would be a primary way to pass along the virus. An infected person would have to sneeze or cough into his hand, touch someone else’s hand, and that second person would then have to place that hand in close contact with their nose, mouth or even eyes to get infected with any virus that might still be on the hand’s surface. So there’s no real reason that fist bumps are any safer than shaking hands when it comes to COVID-19. And no reason to avoid shaking hands for that matter either.

Can you get COVID-19 by touching infected doorknobs, doorhandles or objects?

As with handshakes, touching infected surfaces isn’t a major source of transmission, since the SARS-CoV-2 virus is most efficiently spread by respiratory droplets. Still, if the virus lands on a surface after an infected person coughs or sneezes, and another person touches that surface soon afterward and then touches their nose, mouth or eyes, there is a small possibility the virus could be transmitted. Experts aren’t sure yet how long the virus can survive on such objects, but for viruses in general, it’s not very long.

https://time.com/5786005/fistbumps-handshakes-covid-19/

You then have this list where it’s a moderate to high risk. 
https://midstatemedical.org/about/news-press/news-detail?articleId=26936&publicid=463

👍

Enzo Chiefo
31 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Yes, it's as if they are looking for reasons to prolong lockdown.

The modelling is only as good as the information they input and, throughout this, they appear to be assuming that every non-vaccinated person, and a percentage of the vaccinated cohort, is susceptible to catching Covid. It's a crude calculation and logic tells us that these projections are nonsensical,  given that those groups who accounted for 99% of all deaths, have now been protected. 

PHE data has also separated out cases of the Indian variant and found that it is more infectious than Kent among travellers but no different amongst those who didn't.  This suggests that it may be spreading because of sociological reasons rather than epidemiological,  due to susceptibility and behaviour of certain communities,  specific ally those who have lower vaccine uptake rates.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

It's hard not to be cynical when he was clearly struggling to put together any kind of coherent response. One wee trip to the hospital later, and it's suddenly all #prayforbojo. 

He's the PM.

I'd no problem if he was put in ICU as a precaution, even when others only when they had to.

But tell it as it is.  Not that it was the second resurrection.

Francis Albert
49 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

may, could, might ... the most used words by experts during the pandemic or reported by the media when referring to experts' opinions. No trained scientist would or at any rate should throw around these words without some attempt at quantifying the probability or uncertainty  and explaining the assumptions. Especially when they know such comments will be all over the media and internet the next day.

36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

"Glasgow and Moray will remain in Level 3 from Monday 17 May and travel to and from these areas will be prohibited other than for permitted purposes, due to a high rate of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/

Good let’s hope it’s policed and we don’t have train loads of the tramps heading through here. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

may, could, might ... the most used words by experts during the pandemic or reported by the media when referring to experts' opinions. No trained scientist would or at any rate should throw around these words without some attempt at quantifying the probability or uncertainty  and explaining the assumptions. Especially when they know such comments will be all over the media and internet the next day.

Well said 

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Because there is something like 20 to 25 million adults without any protection from a vaccine.  A higher transmitting virus + very little suppression is a new phase in the process.  The theory is that we could see a virtually free running infection over a short period of time that presents the hospitals with a much higher flow rate of demand.  

This is the theory being proposed.  All based on the initial belief that it has the higher transmissibility.  It might be worst case scenario.  It might never transpire.  The model inputs might be wrong.  The theorising might be wrong.  

They say they will know more in a few weeks.  

Captain Sausage
Just now, Victorian said:

Because there is something like 20 to 25 million adults without any protection from a vaccine.  A higher transmitting virus + very little suppression is a new phase in the process.  The theory is that we could see a virtually free running infection over a short period of time that presents the hospitals with a much higher flow rate of demand.  

This is the theory being proposed.  All based on the initial belief that it has the higher transmissibility.  It might be worst case scenario.  It might never transpire.  The model inputs might be wrong.  The theorising might be wrong.  

So they don’t know. Why on earth has this ‘information’ been put into the public domain? They’ve called it wrong all year, yet we’re still expected to deem the advice credible?

It appears they have a very limited dataset so making public estimates of 20k hospitalisations based on negligible data is just nonsensical. What’s the purpose?

No doubt some well connected individuals will have sold a few shares yesterday and will pick them up on Monday after everything drops 5%. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe a wee bit premature to release the scary numbers then?

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Maybe a wee bit premature to release the scary numbers then?

Not really. They need people to be cautious now as a precaution while we learn more, as in a few weeks it may be too late to halt it without locking down again.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic