Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Brighton Jambo
24 minutes ago, XB52 said:

??? I give up, it's like pulling teeth trying to get a unionist to admit that the SG were correct in being more restrictive in who could enter the country. 

They were correct to try and be more restrictive; I have no problem with admitting that.  But for it to be successful they needed to persuade England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to do the same.

They either failed to persuade them or knew they would never be persuaded and so went ahead anyway for political point scoring reasons.  Doing it alone with the approach of the four other nations being different was just a complete waste of time.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

For those of you disagreeing about the numbers see this link.  

They most important number is excess deaths as that takes into account Covid but also potentially any impacts from lockdown on health.  Currently the number is 117,000 so that is really the true impact of the pandemic.  

Francis Albert
59 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The 127k figure is very misleading. The median age of Covid deaths is higher than UK life expectancy. The majority of those who died woukd probably have succumbed or did succumb to whatever was circulating or indeed to other co-morbidities.  It could be argued that every decision made by those in power "cost lives" to a minimal degree. Equally,  building new roads also "costs lives". 

Some decisions saved lives and will go on saving lives.

51 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Come on now frankie boy, don't be cute. 

You know exactly what happened and who made those decisions. 

I'll give you a clue.....sleaze, lying to parliament, mistresses, shite taste in home decor. 

We did not leave the EU until this year so I did not understand who as you said took control of our borders by January last year and failed to take advantage of that.

The idea that we could or should have closed our borders two months before Covid appeared here is fanciful. The idea that the fact we didn't is the direct  cause of 127000 deaths is silly. That you throw in wallpaper and mistresses tells me where you are coming from.

The Mighty Thor
41 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You were implying that ministerial decisions cost the lives of 127k. That's not true.

There are 600k deaths every year in the UK and I am pointing out that every decision "costs lives".  Locking down "cost" the lives of people who missed treatment or diagnosis of a serious illness due to the NHS effectively becoming a Covid only service. Where do you draw the line?

You shut the borders straight away and you've not lost the 127,000 and the other poor feckers with illnesses that can't be treated due to covid. 

It was so obvious and so simple and yet so far beyond Johnson and his chums. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Big test will be tomorrow when the Sevco jamboree takes place. If NS thinks Glasgow staying in L3 will deter people, she’s in cuckoo land.

Yep 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Perversely it casts up the possibility that Glasgow businesses stand to be better off than those elsewhere.  They're not being allowed to open up until next week or whenever the decision is made.  Other regions are opening but could face being told to close again if cases rise,  by which time Glasgow will open up.  Opening and then having to shut again is worse.  

Hopefully more knowledge will be known by the time that comes around and it's decided that areas can remain in level 2.  

I’m sure they won’t really appreciate that perspective on their situation ( Glasgow businesses ) 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

300 Hibs fans disappointed also, hard to criticise that 😆😂

Only positive lol esp if they voted for NS 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The 127k figure is very misleading. The median age of Covid deaths is higher than UK life expectancy. The majority of those who died woukd probably have succumbed or did succumb to whatever was circulating or indeed to other co-morbidities.  It could be argued that every decision made by those in power "cost lives" to a minimal degree. Equally,  building new roads also "costs lives". 

👍👍

56 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Please keep away. You are not wanted. Business not shafted by SNP, and I am no fan if them, they have been shafted because of their own Glaswegian citizens who it seems are incapable of following hygiene guidelines, no surprise to anyone who has ever seen them visiting Tynecastle, incapable of following social distancing guidelines, see yesterdays attempt to stop lawful deportation, and incapable of the realisation if what they have done and are doing to their city. 

42 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You were implying that ministerial decisions cost the lives of 127k. That's not true.

There are 600k deaths every year in the UK and I am pointing out that every decision "costs lives".  Locking down "cost" the lives of people who missed treatment or diagnosis of a serious illness due to the NHS effectively becoming a Covid only service. Where do you draw the line?

Well said 

42 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Hero is of course not the appropriate term here but @OmiyaHearts did a good thing, the right thing, and should be commended. Good for him. :thumb:

Wow 

jambos are go!
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just don't mention the Jews, they can stay. In fact, they van be hired to remove Muslims. They're expert at it. 👍

Anyway, the van will arrive for unionist traitors quite soon. It won't be going to any airport. Just the nearest big vat enclosure. :cheese:

Mods . How is this kind of hate filled nonsense allowed on this forum?

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Sow Easy said:

The seethe in here about the protest makes the outcome all the better. GIRFU the knuckledraggers.

You won’t be saying that when not off we go back to level 3 in a few weeks ! 

The Hogfather
22 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

It's all he has. He perfectly embodies the hate filled nature of your average Nationalist.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

It's all he has. He perfectly embodies the hate filled nature of your average Nationalist.

:rofl:

The Hogfather
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

That post.

Absolute pish.

Ah, so instead of actually coming back with a reasonable counter, you decided just to post a smiley? I don't think you're the right person to decide what constitutes "absolute pish" posting mate.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

British or Scottish?

The Hogfather
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

British or Scottish?

Both. British Nationalism is every bit as contemptible as any other. Flag waving nut jobs.

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You shut the borders straight away and you've not lost the 127,000 and the other poor feckers with illnesses that can't be treated due to covid. 

Still is, hence the Indian variant. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Nunya Business said:

Both. British Nationalism is every bit as contemptible as any other. Flag waving nut jobs.

Agreed. 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

:D Hero is of course not the appropriate term here but @OmiyaHearts did a good thing, the right thing, and should be commended. Good for him. :thumb:

I'm really interested to know how this was the right thing to do in any circumstances, nevermind now. It looked like mob rule to me. The decision to carry this out during Eid was a bloody stupid idea though.

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, weehammy said:

So should Muslims just get a free pass for Eid?
What about Jews for Passover?
Irish people for St Paddy’s Day?
Elvis fans on each anniversary of his passing?
etc.

Yip I hear you. I just think it inflamed an already difficult situation and was easily avoided. There have been lots of examples recently of police adopting a more softly softly approach whether that be BLM protests, vigils or even title winning celebrations. I know it was the IO that dealt with this - the point I'm making is that the authorities have and should take into account a number of different factors before taking action. They have done before.

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Without knowing the full background to the two men's story, I'm not sure why anyone would protest. It comes across as a clear case of the at times overused phrase, 'virtue signalling'. I notice one of the chaps' names is Singh, and he's from India. He may well be Muslim, but the name primarily suggests Sikh, or possibly Hindu. If that is the case, then I hope all those decrying the operation as being cold-heartedly anti-Muslim during Eid reflect on their rush to proclaim evil-doing on the part of the immigration enforcement operation.

Yip I agree with you. We don't know the whole story but you have to assume that the IO had done their homework first before launching a costly operation. It looked like a rentamob operation to me

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Without knowing the full background to the two men's story, I'm not sure why anyone would protest. It comes across as a clear case of the at times overused phrase, 'virtue signalling'. I notice one of the chaps' names is Singh, and he's from India. He may well be Muslim, but the name primarily suggests Sikh, or possibly Hindu. If that is the case, then I hope all those decrying the operation as being cold-heartedly anti-Muslim during Eid reflect on their rush to proclaim evil-doing on the part of the immigration enforcement operation.

Both were not Muslims 

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Covid was probably circulating in Europe at the end of 2019. It was then seeded all over the country when Feb holidaymakers returned from skiing hols. At that point even the scientists were advocating herd immunity as the best approach.  Johnson himself was hospitalised and out of action for weeks, leaving a power vacuum at a critical time. Lots of the 127k deaths would have occurred anyway, whether Covid was there or not. Blaming Johnson for the deaths is nonsensical. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Covid was probably circulating in Europe at the end of 2019. It was then seeded all over the country when Feb holidaymakers returned from skiing hols. At that point even the scientists were advocating herd immunity as the best approach.  Johnson himself was hospitalised and out of action for weeks, leaving a power vacuum at a critical time. Lots of the 127k deaths would have occurred anyway, whether Covid was there or not. Blaming Johnson for the deaths is nonsensical. 

It really is not nonsensical to blame Johnson. The majority of the 127,000 deaths came after Christmas. The Christmas Johnson refused to cancel in the face of another variant which was running amok which he knew about and did nothing until it was too late. 

You seeing the pattern here yet?

Wuhan variant - Kent variant - Indian variant?

Dither - delay - deaths. 

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It really is not nonsensical to blame Johnson. The majority of the 127,000 deaths came after Christmas. The Christmas Johnson refused to cancel in the face of another variant which was running amok which he knew about and did nothing until it was too late. 

You seeing the pattern here yet?

Wuhan variant - Kent variant - Indian variant?

Dither - delay - deaths. 

I certainly see the pattern with the appearances of "variants" at convenient times. I stopped bothering about the  scaremongering that accompanies each one which always seems to be more transmissible than the previous one. In a few weeks, the Indian one will be replaced by some other obscure one. As I say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

JudyJudyJudy

I certainly see the pattern with the appearances of "variants" at convenient times. I stopped bothering about the  scaremongering that accompanies each one which always seems to be more transmissible than the previous one. In a few weeks, the Indian one will be replaced by some other obscure one. As I say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Well said . Never given it a single thought about the so called variants either , which you rightly say conveniently arrive at critical times in lifting of proposed lifting of restrictions ( Dec and now ) let’s see what happens at the weekend In Glasgow and the of next week ? Got a feeling she will put Glasgow to tier 2 due to the furious back lash . She’s at it yet again .  

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said . Never given it a single thought about the so called variants either , which you rightly say conveniently arrive at critical times in lifting of proposed lifting of restrictions ( Dec and now ) let’s see what happens at the weekend In Glasgow and the of next week ? Got a feeling she will put Glasgow to tier 2 due to the furious back lash . She’s at it yet again .  

Yes, completely agree. She relishes any chance to exert control. How did we ever get to the stage where the state tells you when you go for a pint or a meal and when you can hug your family?? All because of a feckin virus. Madness.

JudyJudyJudy

Yes, completely agree. She relishes any chance to exert control. How did we ever get to the stage where the state tells you when you go for a pint or a meal and when you can hug your family?? All because of a feckin virus. Madness.

I predicted this Before she got re elected . She will be power mad and even more out of control but her fab buys and girls lapping it all up . Today’s decision has evidenced she has not a shred of empathy for business’s and people . Let’s just hope Sunak doesn’t extend furlough again 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Humza Yousaf: The blame for what we saw lies squarely on the shoulders of a Home Office that took completely reckless action, which went into the heart of Scotland's Muslim community on the day of Eid.

What a chancer.

This guy ? 

5ED7C009-0ACE-4522-9E50-5D247C4D6039.jpeg

Can't moan about her giving Glasgow preferential treatment so instead moan about her being on a power trip. Utterly predictable.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Humza Yousaf: The blame for what we saw lies squarely on the shoulders of a Home Office that took completely reckless action, which went into the heart of Scotland's Muslim community on the day of Eid.

What a chancer.

I’m surprised this plonked hadn’t had a visit from police Scotland either 

9F3399FF-CCC5-4F82-9F7A-2CEC85A726DA.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Am I allowed to hate folk who drive while uninsured?

Only if they are white , middle / upper class , privileged straight men . That’s fine 

Enzo Chiefo
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m surprised this plonked hadn’t had a visit from police Scotland either 

9F3399FF-CCC5-4F82-9F7A-2CEC85A726DA.jpeg

I bet Sellick loving Sweeney is the first to complain when Rangers fans exercise their right to celebrate the title presentation tomorrow. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Almost hated myself for a moment there (wonder if you can bring proceedings against yourself in this brave new world of 'hate speech'?), but then realised I always remember to renew my policy...

I think self hate is out too as it’s well self hate ! You would be the victim and the offender . Probably do couple years in the new Scotlandia  when we get Independence in 2224 

JudyJudyJudy

I bet Sellick loving Sweeney is the first to complain when Rangers fans exercise their right to celebrate the title presentation tomorrow. 

But ofcourse ! 

Dagger Is Back
54 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I’d beg to differ. Boris was hospitalised shortly after visiting Covid patients in hospital and proudly proclaiming that he’d been shaking hands with them. 

He’s been the captain of a ship that’s careered into one blunder after another.

I have no problem holding him accountable for the mismanagement of this pandemic and the subsequent death toll. 

Captain Slog

Can i ask why, if the two blokes were illegal immigrants, and were suspected of breaking other laws, there was any reason for protest at all?  I presume it was for the heavy handedness of bundling them in to a van, but i honestly cant see the seethe for deporting someone here illegally.

And what has Eid got to do with it?  Total snowflakery bringing that into it.  Every single day is a Christian saints day, but that doesn't give me remit to commit a crime and not be arrested in case it hurts my feelings as its religiously significant.

I am a little angry about this.  My partner has been unable to travel to Scotland to start a new life here.  We've scrupulously observed the restrictions imposed due to covid, and havent seen each other this year because we follow the rules, and she didn't arrive illegally.  We are both double jagged, and won't introduce any Indian variant to the community, then cause a protest to spread it.  There's only two of us, so even when she does arrive we cant afford the 62 and a half k for a permanent visa, so have to spend and exorbitant amount between her first visa, sending her back, then getting a work visa, then naturalisation - with no sub continent community sticking that amount in a bank account and pretending its ours, then setting up a new bank account for the next family member.

Enzo Chiefo
15 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I’d beg to differ. Boris was hospitalised shortly after visiting Covid patients in hospital and proudly proclaiming that he’d been shaking hands with them. 

He’s been the captain of a ship that’s careered into one blunder after another.

I have no problem holding him accountable for the mismanagement of this pandemic and the subsequent death toll. 

Well we know that you don't catch Covid from shaking hands.  I will certainly be returning to shaking hands when I head back to the boozer to catch up with mates next week. 

He was taking part in meetings where, it is thought, Hancock and Whitty also caught the virus. Probably brought back from Brussels by the guy Frost.

Mistakes were made, absolutely,  by Sturgeon and SAGE every bit as much as Johnson, but that's what happens.  Everyone was learning on the hoof.

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Can i ask why, if the two blokes were illegal immigrants, and were suspected of breaking other laws, there was any reason for protest at all?  I presume it was for the heavy handedness of bundling them in to a van, but i honestly cant see the seethe for deporting someone here illegally.

And what has Eid got to do with it?  Total snowflakery bringing that into it.  Every single day is a Christian saints day, but that doesn't give me remit to commit a crime and not be arrested in case it hurts my feelings as its religiously significant.

I am a little angry about this.  My partner has been unable to travel to Scotland to start a new life here.  We've scrupulously observed the restrictions imposed due to covid, and havent seen each other this year because we follow the rules, and she didn't arrive illegally.  We are both double jagged, and won't introduce any Indian variant to the community, then cause a protest to spread it.  There's only two of us, so even when she does arrive we cant afford the 62 and a half k for a permanent visa, so have to spend and exorbitant amount between her first visa, sending her back, then getting a work visa, then naturalisation - with no sub continent community sticking that amount in a bank account and pretending its ours, then setting up a new bank account for the next family member.

I think you’ve answered some of it there, how hard they make it for folk. The dawn raids and throwing folk in disgusting detention centres for weeks and months before they deport them. This area is the heart of the Muslim community apparently and is seen to be disrespectful on the first day of Eid, they created this situation and folk rallied round in an area where Covid is a big problem. I can’t see anywhere it confirmed they were illegal immigrants and if they were that was their crime. 
Good luck getting your partner to come and live here, we’re all Jock Tamsons bairns after all. 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/13/glasgow-residents-surround-and-block-immigration-van-from-leaving-street

Captain Slog

I know.  I don't mean to be disrespectful of the gentlemen, sometimes news headlines just paints false strokes.  If they are entitled to be here, i feel for them, that was just a big seethe on my part, but I know I and my partner will overcome, my heart goes out to others that face an even harder struggle to settle here.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I know.  I don't mean to be disrespectful of the gentlemen, sometimes news headlines just paints false strokes.  If they are entitled to be here, i feel for them, that was just a big seethe on my part, but I know I and my partner will overcome, my heart goes out to others that face an even harder struggle to settle here.

It said suspected immigration offences, maybe overstayed their visa who knows. 
It sounds like you have more than enough reasons to be annoyed and looking to vent your frustrations with the system. 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well we know that you don't catch Covid from shaking hands.  I will certainly be returning to shaking hands when I head back to the boozer to catch up with mates next week. 

He was taking part in meetings where, it is thought, Hancock and Whitty also caught the virus. Probably brought back from Brussels by the guy Frost.

Mistakes were made, absolutely,  by Sturgeon and SAGE every bit as much as Johnson, but that's what happens.  Everyone was learning on the hoof.

Is that really true about handshakes? That’s not my understanding. He must have been pretty close to have shaken hands with patients in a hospital because of Covid? 

Learning on the hoof is one thing. Making mistake after mistake when in possession of information that would redirect you from a course of action is negligent and criminal.

They’re not mistakes they are decisions taken, often inexplicably delayed, often despite evidence suggesting they were wrong and others which seem to many to have been taken for reasons other than the well being of the population. 

He needs held to account as do the SG with the nursing home disaster amongst others.

It’s healthy to debate but I suspect we won’t agree

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Is that really true about handshakes? That’s not my understanding. He must have been pretty close to have shaken hands with patients in a hospital because of Covid? 

Learning on the hoof is one thing. Making mistake after mistake when in possession of information that would redirect you from a course of action is negligent and criminal.

They’re not mistakes they are decisions taken, often inexplicably delayed, often despite evidence suggesting they were wrong and others which seem to many to have been taken for reasons other than the well being of the population. 

He needs held to account as do the SG with the nursing home disaster amongst others.

It’s healthy to debate but I suspect we won’t agree

Since the disease spreads via respiratory droplets, neither a handshake or fist bump would be a primary way to pass along the virus. An infected person would have to sneeze or cough into his hand, touch someone else’s hand, and that second person would then have to place that hand in close contact with their nose, mouth or even eyes to get infected with any virus that might still be on the hand’s surface. So there’s no real reason that fist bumps are any safer than shaking hands when it comes to COVID-19. And no reason to avoid shaking hands for that matter either.

Can you get COVID-19 by touching infected doorknobs, doorhandles or objects?

As with handshakes, touching infected surfaces isn’t a major source of transmission, since the SARS-CoV-2 virus is most efficiently spread by respiratory droplets. Still, if the virus lands on a surface after an infected person coughs or sneezes, and another person touches that surface soon afterward and then touches their nose, mouth or eyes, there is a small possibility the virus could be transmitted. Experts aren’t sure yet how long the virus can survive on such objects, but for viruses in general, it’s not very long.

https://time.com/5786005/fistbumps-handshakes-covid-19/

You then have this list where it’s a moderate to high risk. 
https://midstatemedical.org/about/news-press/news-detail?articleId=26936&publicid=463

Edited by Pasquale for King

23 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Not my understanding either, DiB, nor that of the WHO.

hand_shaking.thumb.png.ab1079c1dd5d6b9bdab0cb50d5beb059.png

Francis Albert

You get the impression from many posts on here that the UK (and Scotland) are outliers as far as the impact of Covid is concerned. In fact in terms of deaths per 1m population the UK is currently tenth in the European League and with other countries notably France and Spain currently suffering death rates very much higher (5 times In Spain and 10 times in France) than the UK, the UK is likely to soon slip down the table. Of course the UK has made mistakes but so have most countries. Easy with hindsight to say what should have been done when but of course the outcome with different decisions is unknown.

Edited by Francis Albert

Dagger Is Back
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Since the disease spreads via respiratory droplets, neither a handshake or fist bump would be a primary way to pass along the virus. An infected person would have to sneeze or cough into his hand, touch someone else’s hand, and that second person would then have to place that hand in close contact with their nose, mouth or even eyes to get infected with any virus that might still be on the hand’s surface. So there’s no real reason that fist bumps are any safer than shaking hands when it comes to COVID-19. And no reason to avoid shaking hands for that matter either.

Can you get COVID-19 by touching infected doorknobs, doorhandles or objects?

As with handshakes, touching infected surfaces isn’t a major source of transmission, since the SARS-CoV-2 virus is most efficiently spread by respiratory droplets. Still, if the virus lands on a surface after an infected person coughs or sneezes, and another person touches that surface soon afterward and then touches their nose, mouth or eyes, there is a small possibility the virus could be transmitted. Experts aren’t sure yet how long the virus can survive on such objects, but for viruses in general, it’s not very long.

https://time.com/5786005/fistbumps-handshakes-covid-19/

You then have this list where it’s a moderate to high risk. 
https://midstatemedical.org/about/news-press/news-detail?articleId=26936&publicid=463

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not my understanding either, DiB, nor that of the WHO.

hand_shaking.thumb.png.ab1079c1dd5d6b9bdab0cb50d5beb059.png

Thanks folks. It’s little wonder that we’re all confused from time to time.

The differing views of so called experts and the media coverage of same has been an issue throughout.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

You get the impression from many posts on here that the UK (and Scotland) are outliers as far as the impact of Covid is concerned. In fact in terms of deaths per 1m population the UK is vurrently tenth in the European League and with other countries notably France and Spain currently suffering death rates very much higher (5 times In Spain and 10 times in France) than the UK the UK is likely to soon slip down the table. Of course the UK has made mistakes but so have most countries. Easy with hindsight to say what should have been done when but of course the outcome with different decisions is unknown.

Given the lower absolute rate of deaths in all three countries compared to beforehand, slipping further down the table may take longer than you might think. You do us a disservice by the way, FA, since https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries has us (ignoring the microstates) 13th in Europe as regards per-capita deaths.

It's a bit disingenuous though. Where would have been without our excellent and timely vaccination programme? It has saved our bacon, and our statistics, especially compared to those countries well behind us in the vaccine roll-out procedure.

I don't think there is any position for crowing or lambasting here. We just have to analyse what happened, what we did right and wrong, and ensure that our reaction is top notch the next time something like this happens. Hindsight is perfectly fine if you actually learn from it.

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Thanks folks. It’s little wonder that we’re all confused from time to time.

The differing views of so called experts and the media coverage of same has been an issue throughout.

:D Spot on. Inconsistent information has been one of the biggest issues we've faced during the pandemic, often because no-one actually knows. How long does the virus remain on a metal doorknob, for example? What is needed is proper research into these issues, and that takes time, so much of what we get without the actual research is informed guessing, rather than the reality of "We don't have a scooby, but perhaps to be on the safe side...".

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Given the lower absolute rate of deaths in all three countries compared to beforehand, slipping further down the table may take longer than you might think. You do us a disservice by the way, FA, since https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries has us (ignoring the microstates) 13th in Europe as regards per-capita deaths.

It's a bit disingenuous though. Where would have been without our excellent and timely vaccination programme? It has saved our bacon, and our statistics, especially compared to those countries well behind us in the vaccine roll-out procedure.

I don't think there is any position for crowing or lambasting here. We just have to analyse what happened, what we did right and wrong, and ensure that our reaction is top notch the next time something like this happens. Hindsight is perfectly fine if you actually learn from it.

I wasn't crowing or lambasting just trying to put the UK outcome in perspective. All assessments are ptrliminary anyway. 

The vaccination programme has perhaps "saved our bacon" but it has been based on decisions taken by the UK which others did not take. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic