Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And their health system's already creaking, they won't have the survival rate we and others did. It looks pretty grim.

Now spread to Nepal which is seeing an alarming increase of cases in just the last few days.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yep.  Worst parts of the bible stuff if the modelling is near correct and their R0 is still around 2.0.  There is inevitably a tipping point where so many people are getting it and a percentage are ill that even dealing with the dead becomes a challenge.  Hope it turns out better than the theoretical possibilities. 

That's already happening, the crematoriums can't cope as it is, with the car parks acting as makeshift funeral pyres.

Sky News showed footage of at least 100 new pyer enclosures being built in Delhi at just one site, they also reported that in some areas there is now a shortage of wood to burn the bodies.

This video from the Independent give an idea of the situation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/india-delhi-pyres-public-parks-b1838649.html

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

JudyJudyJudy

News item on STV the now about the devastation caused to nightclubs and how they are gonna be out of business fairly soon. Poor businesses really as even in " level zero" they wont be opened.  The business people who own these clubs are thinking of taking the SG to court.  On another note I didn't realize that snooker halls wont be opened either.  I cant really understand that as they can be very spacious?  Whats that all about?

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

You'd have to sanitize the balls constantly. That's one bloody annoying thing.

Surely only after every table hire ? 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Surely only after every table hire ? 

Thats what i was thinking. It would only be then.  We hire tables for a few hours so its not a big deal really 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm being a tad facetious, sorry.

I thought so but didn't want to bite :) 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Barack said:

You'd have to sanitize the balls constantly. That's one bloody annoying thing.

What about the snooker balls?

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's already happening, the crematoriums can't cope as it is, with the car parks acting as makeshift funeral pyres.

Sky News showed footage of at least 100 new pyer enclosures being built in Delhi at just one site, they also reported that in some areas there is now a shortage of wood to burn the bodies.

This video from the Independent give an idea of the situation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/india-delhi-pyres-public-parks-b1838649.html

Yeah it's evil.  People are privately hiring refrigeration for dead family members while they wait for a funeral.  Meanwhile the Indian government is more or less hiding.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Always sanitize your balls after potting brown, mate. 👍🏻

Going back to the snooker thing. Is it because it's classed in the grey area inbetween? As a social club rather than a sports related thing? Honestly didn't think on it until now really.🤷‍♂️

I dont know. I dont understand their reasoning about it ? I go to Locarno and its never that busy really and tables are well spaced out etc. Its ludicrous really. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Yeah it's evil.  People are privately hiring refrigeration for dead family members while they wait for a funeral.  Meanwhile the Indian government is more or less hiding.

It's the speed that India has went from just a few cases and deaths 3 or 4 weeks ago, to the current catastrophe that's really scary.

13 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Good news and further supports view that vaccines reduce transmission significantly. 

I see the Spanish are saying U.K. tourist will be permitted into Spain from June. Unsurprisingly, a large number of countries are desperate for economic boost from tourism. 

I’m still far from convinced we see foreign travel this year. 

Spain can permit what they like but this all depends on the outward travel restrictions being lifted. No ones going there if they have to pay £160 for a Covid test in both directions and/or isolate at home or in a hotel when they come back

Shanks said no
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Spain can permit what they like but this all depends on the outward travel restrictions being lifted. No ones going there if they have to pay £160 for a Covid test in both directions and/or isolate at home or in a hotel when they come back

Appears that progress is further along than that. Using the NHS England app will show you have had your 2 jags, this will be enough to enter Spain. I agree the return hasn't yet been clarified but likelihood seems to be the £80 test at worse. Sometime in July likely start date.

Scotland may of course be different.

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Appears that progress is further along than that. Using the NHS England app will show you have had your 2 jags, this will be enough to enter Spain. I agree the return hasn't yet been clarified but likelihood seems to be the £80 test at worse. Sometime in July likely start date.

Scotland probably needs to exactly match what England are doing in that regard or folk will just cross the border to fly

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If it's July then all restrictions will be lifted on social contact so I'm not sure enforced isolation will be a thing by then.

Then again, the government have done so many u-turns during this I've lost track on which direction they're pointing.

Toxteth O'Grady
6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Some turnaround in the past month for Clackmannanshire.

Plummeted in the school holidays

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

When I looked at the guidelines when they were released I did wonder about the 10pm thing.

What the council could do, if it hasn't already is maybe look at the 9pm 'street' curfew and extend a little too, even till 10pm.

Screenshot_20210428-214252_Drive.jpg

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

If it's July then all restrictions will be lifted on social contact so I'm not sure enforced isolation will be a thing by then.

Then again, the government have done so many u-turns during this I've lost track on which direction they're pointing.

Neither government has given any commitment on the time frame to lift restrictions on foreign travel. It will be the last thing to be lifted and only when other countries get their vaccination numbers up and their cases down. I reckon September before any great number of holiday destinations get the okay to travel to and from unrestricted.

Shanks said no

The UK Government has yet to confirm the destinations that will be categorised as "green" under its "traffic light" system for travel, but airlines and tour operators are already making plans to resume or boost operations.

May 17 is the earliest date for the resumption of overseas leisure travel for people in England, under Boris Johnson's road map for easing restrictions. No dates have been set by the devolved administrations.

Assessments will be based on a range of factors, including the proportion of a country’s population that has been vaccinated, rates of infection, emerging new variants, and the country’s access to reliable scientific data and genomic sequencing.

A number of popular destinations have expressed their desire for the return of UK holidaymakers this summer. Portugal hopes tourists will be back in May, while Spain is planning to reopen for international visitors in June.

- Portugal confirms curbs on UK holidaymakers will be relaxed by 'middle of May'

- Spain to welcome UK tourists after just one Covid jab under new passport plan

Destinations are also likely to require holidaymakers to show evidence they have received a coronavirus vaccine or taken a recent negative test.

Transport secretary Grant Shapps confirmed on Wednesday that people in England will be able to display their status using the NHS app.

source walesonline

Shanks said no

The UK Government has yet to confirm the destinations that will be categorised as "green" under its "traffic light" system for travel, but airlines and tour operators are already making plans to resume or boost operations.

May 17 is the earliest date for the resumption of overseas leisure travel for people in England, under Boris Johnson's road map for easing restrictions. No dates have been set by the devolved administrations.

Assessments will be based on a range of factors, including the proportion of a country’s population that has been vaccinated, rates of infection, emerging new variants, and the country’s access to reliable scientific data and genomic sequencing.

A number of popular destinations have expressed their desire for the return of UK holidaymakers this summer. Portugal hopes tourists will be back in May, while Spain is planning to reopen for international visitors in June.

- Portugal confirms curbs on UK holidaymakers will be relaxed by 'middle of May'

- Spain to welcome UK tourists after just one Covid jab under new passport plan

Destinations are also likely to require holidaymakers to show evidence they have received a coronavirus vaccine or taken a recent negative test.

Transport secretary Grant Shapps confirmed on Wednesday that people in England will be able to display their status using the NHS app.

source walesonline

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Yes they can bolt ! It seems like it’s going to be a massive money making racket more than anything really 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Scotland probably needs to exactly match what England are doing in that regard or folk will just cross the border to fly

Yep 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

True 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

When I looked at the guidelines when they were released I did wonder about the 10pm thing.

What the council could do, if it hasn't already is maybe look at the 9pm 'street' curfew and extend a little too, even till 10pm.

Screenshot_20210428-214252_Drive.jpg

What street “ curfew “ at 9 ? Never heard of that ? 

The Virus That Shook the World: Part One (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

Filmed in 21 countries, the panoramic story of the coronavirus pandemic’s first year as seen through the eyes of people all across the world. Part one of a two-part series.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

The Virus That Shook the World: Part One (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

Filmed in 21 countries, the panoramic story of the coronavirus pandemic’s first year as seen through the eyes of people all across the world. Part one of a two-part series.

Not available.

46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes they can bolt ! It seems like it’s going to be a massive money making racket more than anything really 

Yep 

True 

What street “ curfew “ at 9 ? Never heard of that ? 

Places like Rose Street, Grassmarket need to take their outside tables in by 9pm.

Or they at least used to.

Edited by DETTY29

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, DETTY29 said:

Places like Rose Street, Grassmarket need to take their outside tables in by 9pm.

Or they at least used to.

Oh yes that’s right . I think it’s more about actual beer gardens ? 

12 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Neither government has given any commitment on the time frame to lift restrictions on foreign travel. It will be the last thing to be lifted and only when other countries get their vaccination numbers up and their cases down. I reckon September before any great number of holiday destinations get the okay to travel to and from unrestricted.

Sorry I meant in terms of isolating on return. If you're allowed to go then being made to isolate on return isn't the removal of all social contact legal restrictions...which is the aim from 21st June in England.

Interesting article published in The Lancet which compares the countries which went for an elimination strategy versus those that went for a control strategy.

Those that went for elimination have far lower cases/deaths, their economy is recovering quicker and actually results in less liberties being taken away from it's citizens over the same period of time.

Those that went for a control strategy....well...not so good.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9520825/Coronavirus-Covid-elimination-policies-best-says-Oxford-article.html

Obviously will be challenged but personally i think there was a missed opportunity in the UK who could have controlled the borders better and acted quicker.

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Gards said:

Interesting article published in The Lancet which compares the countries which went for an elimination strategy versus those that went for a control strategy.

Those that went for elimination have far lower cases/deaths, their economy is recovering quicker and actually results in less liberties being taken away from it's citizens over the same period of time.

Those that went for a control strategy....well...not so good.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9520825/Coronavirus-Covid-elimination-policies-best-says-Oxford-article.html

Obviously will be challenged but personally i think there was a missed opportunity in the UK who could have controlled the borders better and acted quicker.

4 of the 5 counties which had an elimination strategy are islands ! 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Which begs the question...

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Indeed.....and UK is?

Could have created a travel bubble between British Isles and Ireland on the proviso both islands secured their borders.

As I say, personally i think a big opportunity was missed.  78,000 at MCG last week at the ANZAC Aussie Rules game....

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t think the UK is technically a island by virtue of Northern Ireland being part of another island. Not 100% sure maybe should stick on the something you always wondered but never found out thread.

The U.K. is not an island . The British isles are classed as islands hence the term isles 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Gards said:

Indeed.....and UK is?

You mean Great Britain ? ? Yes we had deal opportunity to close birders etc but we are kinda very near other counties unlike those other islands and had open borders most of the time so it was fairly futile to attempt it . Plus money talks and there was probably a lot of pressure from various areas to keep borders / travel open 

Mars plastic

Folk who wear masks in cars and folk who pull them up as they walk towards you. Utterly fascinating characters.

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

The U.K. is not an island . The British isles are classed as islands hence the term isles 

In addition the channel tunnel and constant movement of goods (and people) means we are less able to isolate. South Korea is probably more an “Island “

Just now, Mars plastic said:

Folk who wear masks in cars and folk who pull them up as they walk towards you. Utterly fascinating characters.

There is a rule that if you are in a car will some out with your bubble then you have to wear a mask. If you are on your own or with someone from tour home/bubble then you need to wear one. 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You mean Great Britain ? ? Yes we had deal opportunity to close birders etc but we are kinda very near other counties unlike those other islands and had open borders most of the time so it was fairly futile to attempt it . Plus money talks and there was probably a lot of pressure from various areas to keep borders / travel open 

Agreed money talked.....with a cost of tens of thousands of lives.

Mars plastic
1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

There is a rule that if you are in a car will some out with your bubble then you have to wear a mask. If you are on your own or with someone from tour home/bubble then you need to wear one. 

Fascinating.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Gards said:

Agreed money talked.....with a cost of tens of thousands of lives.

Yes unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Futile - not at all, as our recent moves to more seriously address the issue have proved.

Agreed with the "money talks" comment though, James. The decision not to tighten up our borders when we should have done was almost entirely commercial, imo. Hopefully we won't make the same mistake again.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Odd ! I just can’t get my head around people wearing them outside really ! I wear mine as little as possibly possible to be honest . I’m sure I will now hear reasons why people should still wear them outside though 1.2,3....,,,

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, redjambo said:

Futile - not at all, as our recent moves to more seriously address the issue have proved.

Agreed with the "money talks" comment though, James. The decision not to tighten up our borders when we should have done was almost entirely commercial, imo. Hopefully we won't make the same mistake again.

Hopefully not . I can understand people wanting a holiday abroad but surprisingly for me I think we need to tread carefully there 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Hopefully not . I can understand people wanting a holiday abroad but surprisingly for me I think we need to tread carefully there 

Bookmarked. ;)

Mars plastic
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Odd ! I just can’t get my head around people wearing them outside really ! I wear mine as little as possibly possible to be honest . I’m sure I will now hear reasons why people should still wear them outside though 1.2,3....,,,

I only wear mine when I'm at the supermarket. Some folks masks look like they've been on since last year and not been washed. Honkin.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic