Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Dagger Is Back
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I do agree with Sturgeon on this - the international travel corridors are a joke and only exist to placate the tory donors from the airlines and holiday firms.

We need to get the UK out of lockdown safely and back to a normality where businesses can safely reopen and stay open, so its time to tell the halwits who expect their two weeks in the Costa Del Sol it ain't happening unless you stump up for a quarantine hotel stay on return.

Agree with all of that Frank. As soon as the holiday companies started advertising again it was WTF?

We’ve still got flights to/from India and you’d wonder if we’ve learned anything at all? 

Getting our own house in order, getting businesses and activities back open and people returning to normality is the priority.

Going on a 2 week holiday in my mind is a luxury that can wait.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

If it works ? 😂

The crux is how it will work on the variants that have sprung up and those which are yet to spring up. As long as we can stay ahead of the game, vaccine development-wise, we should be ok. We also need to have as much coverage as possible with the vaccine so that we don't have a significant pool of unvaccinated folk in which new variants will spread and/or arise.

So far, we appear to have equalised against the virus, but it's only half-time and they could well have some nifty players on their bench ready to try and turn things around in the second half. However, so hopefully do we.

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Due to the new variants, India should probably be on the Red list but that would put the kibosh on the Buffoon's trade deal trip to India.

Meanwhile flights land in the UK from the subcontinent with frequent regularity. 

Let's hope the new variant isn't one of concern......

I read yesterday that folk arriving from India are being asked to isolate at home. We know how well that works...

18 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Our numbers have been higher fir a few weeks now haven't they?

Does this coincide with Scotland reopening Schools and some higher education again. 🤔

Are they still allowing students to stay in Halls of Residences?

Never mind, it must be the hospitality sector's fault again since they have been shut since October.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Does this coincide with Scotland reopening Schools and some higher education again. 🤔

Never mind, it must be the hospitality sector's fault again since they have been shut since October.

I think that Detty was only questioning your "while our numbers were far lower" comment.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

BoJo has now cancelled his trip to India.

Good. Hopefully followed closely after by India being placed on the red list.

I'm sure that Boris can find somewhere safer to do all that hand-shaking.

manaliveits105
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

BoJo has now cancelled his trip to India.

that will upset our resident comrades

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The crux is how it will work on the variants that have sprung up and those which are yet to spring up. As long as we can stay ahead of the game, vaccine development-wise, we should be ok. We also need to have as much coverage as possible with the vaccine so that we don't have a significant pool of unvaccinated folk in which new variants will spread and/or arise.

So far, we appear to have equalised against the virus, but it's only half-time and they could well have some nifty players on their bench ready to try and turn things around in the second half. However, so hopefully do we.

Completely agree with your first paragraph. I think where we do disagree is on is moving forward the future outlook. We can’t live in fear of what might happen or future variants. Vaccines will be tweaked and imo we will stay ahead of this. Yes people will get ill and some will die but at the risk of sounding heartless that’s life. People die every single day, especially old or ill/vulnerable people. We can’t sacrifice the well being and financial state of the masses. 

Back to the original point, at the moment the vaccine works. That isn’t up for debate. 

Edited by Dazo

Francis Albert

Been to a couple of beer gardens this week here in Englandshire. Good social distancing, table service to seated customers only allowed to move to visit toilet one at a time. Felt much safer than any supermarket or shop I have visited in the last year. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Been to a couple of beer gardens this week here in Englandshire. Good social distancing, table service to seated customers only allowed to move to visit toilet one at a time. Felt much safer than any supermarket or shop I have visited in the last year. 

Good to hear that.

🍺👍

18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It's 2 weeks.

Getting schools in is more important, infection rates among kids are lower.

Hospitality has been given a kicking by practically every country that has taken the pandemic 'seriously'

It's not Scotland specific.

I had this with a mate giving Sturgeon all sorts because the pub was closing last October.

At that time iirc Wales and NI had closed hospitality, France metropolitan areas, all of Belgium, England about to.

'I don't care what other countries do, SHE is stopping me doing what I want to'

Just left it. Sometimes you need to give up. 

Edited by DETTY29

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

something that could easily be replicated indoors especially in restaurants. 

6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It's 2 weeks.

Hospitality has been given a kicking by practically every country that has taken the pandemic 'seriously'

I had this with a mate giving Sturgeon all sorts because the pub was closing last October.

At that time iirc Wales and NI had closed hospitality, France metropolitan areas, all of Belgium, England about to.

Not sure you can blame someone for being concerned about how restrictions in their own country impacts his/her life.

Regardless in Edinburgh we have been treated far worse that other parts of the uk with worse numbers. For that alone she can gtf. 

Just now, Dazo said:

Completely agree with your first paragraph. I think where we do disagree is on is moving forward the future outlook. We can’t live in fear of what might happen or future variants. Vaccines will be tweaked and imo we will stay ahead of this. Yes people will get ill and some will die but at the risk of sounding heartless that’s life. People die every single day, especially old or ill/vulnerable people. We can’t sacrifice the well being and financial state of the masses. 

I agree about fear - we should never be living under it. However, I do favour a more cautious approach than you do obviously, not so much from the angle of preventing folk from dying (now that we've entered the vaccine phase and the vaccines have shown themselves to be particularly effective in doing this), but from the need to keep cases and transmission low so that we can keep the virus itself in check while this plays out. You never know, with all that knowledge that we have now, we may even be able to develop a sterilising vaccine that will do the trick. However, I do of course appreciate your approach. It has always been, and will continue to be, a difficult balancing act.

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It's 2 weeks.

I don't get the link between schools and hospitality as school kids shouldn't be in bars.  My issue is that she and her advisers never backed up closing hospitality and keeping Edinburgh in Tier 3 when numbers justified dropping.

The measures put in place in hospitality were far stricter than in your supermarkets - hand sanitiser on entry, logging details of customers, social distancing between tables, masks on when not at table, table service only....

What we got were embarassing scenes after closing hospitality of crowds of students outside bars with no social distancing consuming "take away pints".

Just now, redjambo said:

I agree about fear - we should never be living under it. However, I do favour a more cautious approach than you do obviously, not so much from the angle of preventing folk from dying (now that we've entered the vaccine phase and the vaccines have shown themselves to be particularly effective in doing this), but from the need to keep cases and transmission low so that we can keep the virus itself in check while this plays out. You never know, with all that knowledge that we have now, we may even be able to develop a sterilising vaccine that will do the trick. However, I do of course appreciate your approach. It has always been, and will continue to be, a difficult balancing act.

Yep it is tricky and no doubt my approach is biased a little as a couple of friends have seen their business decimated and the mental health impact on people close to me. I think the whole country will benefit from getting everyone back to work based on how well the vaccination roll out has went. 

highlandjambo3

That f**n pant wetter on “this morning” is on just now.....the goon with the pony tail and, guess what......he’s wetting himself again......does my heed in.

Don’t people realise that his actual negativity will be effecting lots of people who are struggling.....yes I get he is entitled to his opinion but, it’s the same negative pi** every time.

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Yep it is tricky and no doubt my approach is biased a little as a couple of friends have seen their business decimated and the mental health impact on people close to me. I think the whole country will benefit from getting everyone back to work based on how well the vaccination roll out has went. 

I think that I may have mentioned this before, but assuming that the various health boards have their track and trace mechanisms working well and are ready to react if things go a wee bit awry, we should be undergoing a constant "open up everything a bit e.g. one sector"->"wait to see the effect"->"if all is good, go back and open up another bit", probably leaving non-essential international travel to be one of the last things to open up. Opening up everything at once is, imo, introducing too many variables into the equation in one go - we probably won't have good data on what is causing any issues. But, importantly, the above iterative process should be constant as folk need to see that things are opening up again while at the same time also needing to be aware that we must pause before the next opening up to see if the previous one has worked well.

There's no shame in having some bias, especially where loved ones and friends are involved. I'm full of the stuff. It certainly must be tough for you seeing folk close to you suffering not from the virus itself but from the measures employed to beat it. There are have been very few non-losers from all of this, sadly.

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You can, from today, fly between Australia and New Zealand without any quarantine requirements. 

Achieved by hard closing of borders, with any sporadic outbreaks being dealt with efficiently and quickly. 

They must be delighted to be tucked away on the other side of the planet......

My favoured approach too. More difficult in a very internationally-connected country as the UK, naturally, but both Australia and NZ have shown that this approach works and allows everything to function much more quickly closer to the old "normal", thus minimising damage all round.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/simon-harris-sorry-for-awful-boo-boo-about-18-viruses-before-covid-19-1.4235478

Minister for Health Simon Harris has apologised for making what he called an “awful boo-boo” by incorrectly saying during a radio interview that there were 18 other coronaviruses before Covid-19.

Mr Harris made the error when explaining during an interview on RTÉ 2FM’s breakfast show on Wednesday why a vaccine may not be found for the current coronavirus for some time.

“Remember this is coronavirus Covid-19 - that means there have been 18 other coronaviruses and I don’t think they have actually successfully found a vaccine for any,” he said in the interview.

:D :(

Edited by redjambo

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/simon-harris-sorry-for-awful-boo-boo-about-18-viruses-before-covid-19-1.4235478

Minister for Health Simon Harris has apologised for making what he called an “awful boo-boo” by incorrectly saying during a radio interview that there were 18 other coronaviruses before Covid-19.

Mr Harris made the error when explaining during an interview on RTÉ 2FM’s breakfast show on Wednesday why a vaccine may not be found for the current coronavirus for some time.

“Remember this is coronavirus Covid-19 - that means there have been 18 other coronaviruses and I don’t think they have actually successfully found a vaccine for any,” he said in the interview.

**** me ragged

29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Is it? Let's see if the vaccine actually works, James, before you tell us how it's a game changer. Especially if people don't take it. 

Well theres a high probability that it does work due to the massive drops in deaths etc however the word " seasonal" also comes to mind and also " lockdown" too. A combination of all 3 

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Fun will be restricted to one person from every four households, or one person from every six patrons - whichever is lower.  This will also be time limited to no more than 15 minutes of joy per visit to any hospitality venue. 

The brave new world post covid. Give me a gun.. I have just remembered what the pubs were like last year with the " safety" measures. Had to sit at the same seats. couldnt " mingle" and no music on.  Prob best to just stay at home really. 

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

For starters, beer gardens reopened a couple of weeks ago in England while our numbers were far lower.

You can't keep people and businesses locked down forever, despite her prohibition stance.

Oh some would like that sadly. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Back to the original point, at the moment the vaccine works. That isn’t up for debate. 

Yes we cant go backwards now. I honestly think that people would just crack up if there was anything near another full lock down again. We made a quid pro quo bargain with the Govt.. take a vaccine which has been rushed through all its usual stringent tests so we can open up and be back to " normal" . Thats the deal and the Govt cannot renege on that. 

39 minutes ago, redjambo said:

OH i thought there were 18 before too.  :) 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

My issue is that she and her advisers never backed up closing hospitality and keeping Edinburgh in Tier 3 when numbers justified dropping.

Had Edinburgh gone down to Level 2 when numbers justified it in early December, then it would have been back in Level 3 within a week.  If you think complaints from Hospitality and Christmas shoppers were loud at that time, just consider how businesses and people would have reacted if they had reopened then been forced to close again so soon thereafter.

The SG had the figures, saw the direction of travel, didn't give in to the clamour and were proved to have made the right decision by what followed.

7 day case averages were in the 60s during the first week of December, over 100 by the middle of December, over 200 by the end of December, peaking at over 240 just after New Year.

manaliveits105

Scotland (only) just remember and sit one alsation away from anybody not in your household in or outside the pubs when they open 

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Had Edinburgh gone down to Level 2 when numbers justified it in early December, then it would have been back in Level 3 within a week.  If you think complaints from Hospitality and Christmas shoppers were loud at that time, just consider how businesses and people would have reacted if they had reopened then been forced to close again so soon thereafter.

The SG had the figures, saw the direction of travel, didn't give in to the clamour and were proved to have made the right decision by what followed.

7 day case averages were in the 60s during the first week of December, over 100 by the middle of December, over 200 by the end of December, peaking at over 240 just after New Year.

The SG allowed the second wave to kick-off with sending students back to Halls and seeing numerous outbreaks there, followed by schools.

The linking of rates to hospitality is what they have never justified in their data, nor explained why hospitality is inherently more dangerous than say supermarkets, schools or workplaces, and why when their screw ups e.g. halls of residence, failing to act on west coast areas earlier, etc made things worse.

If as you say Edinburgh would have gone back to level 3 then that would have been as a result of mismanagement of the situation and acting too late, which is why we have been locked down since boxing day.  I also don't buy that they realised just before their Christmas relaxation of the rules that the virus was out of control.

Edited by frankblack

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I thought Irish jokes were sort of illegal these days.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The SG allowed the second wave to kick-off with sending students back to Halls and seeing numerous outbreaks there, followed by schools.

The linking of rates to hospitality is what they have never justified in their data, nor explained why hospitality is inherently more dangerous than say supermarkets, schools or workplaces, and why when their screw ups e.g. halls of residence, failing to act on west coast areas earlier, etc made things worse.

If as you say Edinburgh would have gone back to level 3 then that would have been as a result of mismanagement of the situation and acting too late, which is why we have been locked down since boxing day.

You are correct in stating that there is never been much of a link to increased cases from hospitality.  Its a fact. I think the link has been established at about 4%  of infections. Therefore it begs the question why have all the Govt been so punitive regarding hospitality ?  Makes me  wonder. 

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If as you say Edinburgh would have gone back to level 3 then that would have been as a result of mismanagement of the situation and acting too late, which is why we have been locked down since boxing day.

You got the order of things wrong. Numbers started picking up in late summer when people retuned from their holidays abroad and rUK to Spain, Italy, Blackpool and elsewhere.  The return of schools added to it before a significant number of the student population applied their own personal risk assessment (by ignoring it!). 

Just when it looked as if the second wave was being brought under control as a result of Glasgow and other locations being in Level 4, we were hit by the Kent variant. 

You say it would have been mismanagement if Edinburgh had reopened, then closed again, by acting too late. I don't know how you can justify that claim. How could the SG have acted too late by opening then closing Edinburgh? I thought you believed that Edinburgh should have been reopened anyway.  The SG decided to keep Level 3 in place. That wasn't acting too late. It was a decision based on the data they had at the time. 

Edited by Footballfirst

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

significant number of the student population applied their own personal risk assessment (by ignoring it!). 

Your very good at the blame game.. Remember it was greedy Unis which ensured students had to come back to their rented Uni accom so it guaranteed the Uni their income regardless of the risk which were inherent in that.  Stop stigmatizing groups of people  to back up your argument. 

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

On the bright side thanks to last minute SG restriction alterations to hospitality every household must be 1 metre away from each other when seated at tables inside or out - many pubs and restaurants saying won’t be worth opening - they don’t have big enough tables or space

:mw_tease:

It is utter madness. This obsession with "mitigating risk" is completely disproportionate to reality. We are in a far better position than last summer, due to the vaccine and the protection it offers. Scot Gov need to drop the OCD approach to Covid and realise that the majority are vaccinated,  we will soon have herd immunity and the rights of humans to socialise, interact and live, trumps anything else. Life is all about risks and we need to return to living without fear.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It is utter madness. This obsession with "mitigating risk" is completely disproportionate to reality. We are in a far better position than last summer, due to the vaccine and the protection it offers. Scot Gov need to drop the OCD approach to Covid and realise that the majority are vaccinated,  we will soon have herd immunity and the rights of humans to socialise, interact and live, trumps anything else. Life is all about risks and we need to return to living without fear.

The SG really have a vendetta against hospitality. Absolute madness. 

Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Your very good at the blame game.. Remember it was greedy Unis which ensured students had to come back to their rented Uni accom so it guaranteed the Uni their income regardless of the risk which were inherent in that.  Stop stigmatizing groups of people  to back up your argument. 

So its OK to blame governments and their advisors and not individuals or groups of individuals.

You have been one of the proponents of people exercising personal responsibility, but seem willing to blame accommodation providers for the conduct of their tenants while in that accommodation.

For the record, I do think that it was wrong for Universities to open up the halls when they were primarily only delivering online learning.

Edited by Footballfirst

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, JamesM48 said:

The SG really have a vendetta against hospitality. Absolute madness. 

Yes. Covid is being used as a trojan horse by councils and govts to further their own ideological agendas. The destruction of our roads with cycle lanes, the attempt to decimate aviation travel and the complete scapegoating of the hospitality industry. All designed  to control the population and effect behavioural change. Thankfully,  widespread resistance will see them off though.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

So its OK to blame governments and their advisors and not individuals or groups of individuals.

You have been one of the proponents of people exercising personal responsibility, but seem willing to blame accommodation providers for the conduct of their tenants while in that accommodation.

For the record, I do think that it was wrong for Universities to open up the halls when they were primarily only delivering online learning.

It was the motivation of Unis greed for money over the health which angered me.  If they hadn't provided the accommodation there might not have been so many students in them obviously. Anyway students were basically imprisoned in them so were a minor threat to outsiders. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes. Covid is being used as a trojan horse by councils and govts to further their own ideological agendas. The destruction of our roads with cycle lanes, the attempt to decimate aviation travel and the complete scapegoating of the hospitality industry. All designed  to control the population and effect behavioural change. Thankfully,  widespread resistance will see them off though.

YEP 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It was the motivation of Unis greed for money over the health which angered me.  If they hadn't provided the accommodation there might not have been so many students in them obviously. Anyway students were basically imprisoned in them so were a minor threat to outsiders. 

My mate's laddie caught covid from some wee student lassie he was pumping at a party in halls. He's not a student himself but seemed to get in nae bother. He only found out he had it when the contact tracers got a hold of him.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Is the Bute House rat still on the tv at lunchtime?

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well if the population wants to show widespread resistance to the SG there is an election coming up. Then we'll see if you are correct

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My mate's laddie caught covid from some wee student lassie he was pumping at a party in halls. He's not a student himself but seemed to get in nae bother. He only found out he had it when the contact tracers got a hold of him.

He would probably do it all again ! Dirty bugger 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

You got the order of things wrong. Numbers started picking up in late summer when people retuned from their holidays abroad and rUK to Spain, Italy, Blackpool and elsewhere.  The return of schools added to it before a significant number of the student population applied their own personal risk assessment (by ignoring it!). 

Allowing overseas travel was another mistake and one we don't seem to be learning from at the UK level.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Just when it looked as if the second wave was being brought under control as a result of Glasgow and other locations being in Level 4, we were hit by the Kent variant. 

You say it would have been mismanagement if Edinburgh had reopened, then closed again, by acting too late. I don't know how you can justify that claim. How could the SG have acted too late by opening then closing Edinburgh? I thought you believed that Edinburgh should have been reopened anyway.  The SG decided to keep Level 3 in place. That wasn't acting too late. It was a decision based on the data they had at the time. 

Glasgow and some other areas in the West and central region should have been in Tier 4 long before, and then they were brought out of Tier 4 before Christmas for some inexplicable reason.

The biggest problem for the SG was lack of enforcement against those not complying with the rules while punishing everyone else for the consequences.  The tiers system was complete nonsense - it was a political control mechanism when it should be data driven to either full lockdown in a region or open up (with social distancing etc).

JudyJudyJudy

Allowing overseas travel was another mistake and one we don't seem to be learning from at the UK level.

Glasgow and some other areas in the West and central region should have been in Tier 4 long before, and then they were brought out of Tier 4 before Christmas for some inexplicable reason.

The biggest problem for the SG was lack of enforcement against those not complying with the rules while punishing everyone else for the consequences.  The tiers system was complete nonsense - it was a political control mechanism when it should be data driven to either full lockdown in a region or open up (with social distancing etc).

Eh ? The tiers system was data driven ? Albeit  rather silly as Scotland is small anyway so kinda waste of time . We never hear if Track and trace now either . 

coconut doug
39 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You've been promising widespread resistence since day one. Where is it?  I presume Trump didn't and Bolsonaro isn't building cycle lanes and their councils don't have any ideological agendas. I mean what possible practical reasons could there be for decimating the aviation industry and replacing it with cycle lanes, if not ideological.

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Eh ? The tiers system was data driven ? Albeit  rather silly as Scotland is small anyway so kinda waste of time . We never hear if Track and trace now either . 

It was data driven but with discretion for the politicians to overrule.

JudyJudyJudy

It was data driven but with discretion for the politicians to overrule.

yes with a crystal ball as their appendage 

Fxxx the SPFL

Scottish numbers: 19 April 2021

Summary

• 232 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 10,649 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 2.5% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends)
  • 14 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 104 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 2,747,694 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 757,115 have received their second dose

Thought i would sneak in a wee quickie update lol

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I've recently returned to the UK from a red list country and the journey home via France and the Netherlands was a bit of an eye opener.

I basically showed my negative covid test certificate to the lassie on the check-in desk in Luanda and waltzed on through. Nobody in Paris wanted to see anything other than our passports and boarding cards, and getting into the Netherlands we only had to show our PCR test cert's once on landing. We had been pre warned that it would be strict passing through these countries, but nobody even asked for any of the multitude of locator forms, declarations, and other bumff that we'd filled in before travelling. All the business class lounges were open too.

The only place that was tough to get into was the UK. There is a special 'processing' unit set up before you can even get to the gates for all UK flights in Schiphol, and they went through everything. Arrival in Edinburgh was pretty tight too, and we were promptly carted off to quarantine jail.

I know the horse has already bolted, but compared to the other countries we passed through we at least seem to be doing it right now. There was chat with some of the border guys that the SG are in negotiations with airports and authorities down south to scoop up Scottish residents attempting to sneak back in through England to avoid the stricter measures up here. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic