Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3fingersreid
25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep

No way will it be changed.  Try to be positive. 

12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Considering how many council areas are under L3 restrictions measurements, but we are still going to be L3 for at least 3 weeks from 26 April, I think we'll still go ahead.

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can understand you being a bit pessimistic. One of my mates is the eternal pessimist.

He probably won't meet me socially until a least the middle of May.

I’m not so much pessimistic as more cautious. I’ve had both my jags and I’m ready to dip my toe back in the big pond of work but I just have a wee voice in my empty head saying just hold on . 
That’s simply due to seeing the arseholes going OTT and gathering in large numbers .

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

@redjambo I feel like you should be rewarded for all your effort in collating stats for us on JKB. 

I’m think your own stat monkey would be a fitting reward🙈

Possible designs.....

2745508F-243F-42FF-872E-4A1EFB354B89.thumb.jpeg.464034737621e5017952931845fd23a5.jpeg

or 

95F07281-4C51-4F92-9C62-8A1D3E1C2DF1.jpeg.347e2969310943c70cfd0e510321d801.jpeg

Give me your size and I will get you a stat monkey T-shirt. 👍

Anyone has a better design feel free to suggest......

Maybe a FoH like strip with all the names of the posters who have made this thread what it is, good or bad

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, 3fingersreid said:

I’m not so much pessimistic as more cautious. I’ve had both my jags and I’m ready to dip my toe back in the big pond of work but I just have a wee voice in my empty head saying just hold on . 
That’s simply due to seeing the arseholes going OTT and gathering in large numbers .

Totally understandable. 

3fingersreid
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What rise in cases "down south"?? There were 1880 today, the lowest they've been since September. The new Indian variant, hasn't even been classified as "of concern " yet. Hospitalisations are plummeting too. Media and scientific fear being ratcheted up, I suspect.

I’m trying and failing to find the report I read , can only apologise for that , I’ll keep on trying to find it .

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I PM'd him instead. You're welcome to tag along.

It's early days.

Too much scope for cheap inuendo...

😣

Woo hoo  im Excited 

D65ED8B9-34B1-45EA-AAC1-0B051559EFD6.png

14 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What rise in cases "down south"?? There were 1880 today, the lowest they've been since September. The new Indian variant, hasn't even been classified as "of concern " yet. Hospitalisations are plummeting too. Media and scientific fear being ratcheted up, I suspect.

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m trying and failing to find the report I read , can only apologise for that , I’ll keep on trying to find it .

1,882 is the UK figure for today. England alone is 1,495, higher than the 1,338 last Sunday.

manaliveits105

Anas let slip on tv there’s good news coming from the fish this week on hospitality - opening soon till 10pm maybe outside  - didn’t hear it all

there must be an election soon 

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, hunts said:

Was going to say that there’s more cases per head of population in Scotland than in England from what I can see from the daily figures.

It's been like that for the last six weeks.

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can understand you being a bit pessimistic. One of my mates is the eternal pessimist.

He probably won't meet me socially until a least the middle of May.

Dearie me . I really feel

sorry for these people but hate when they project it on to others 

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I PM'd him instead. You're welcome to tag along.

It's early days.

Too much scope for cheap inuendo...

😣

I’m a master at it !! Innuendo 

23 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I'm quite confident the beer gardens will open on the 26th April 2021.

🍺

Same here actually think we are going out that day to one 

15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes reading too much media pish Enzo 

11 minutes ago, kila said:

Maybe a FoH like strip with all the names of the posters who have made this thread what it is, good or bad

Yeee haa hope I’m at the front of the strip and not the back 😂

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

@redjambo I feel like you should be rewarded for all your effort in collating stats for us on JKB. 

Possible designs.....

2745508F-243F-42FF-872E-4A1EFB354B89.thumb.jpeg.464034737621e5017952931845fd23a5.jpeg

or 

Has technology progressed to putting gifs on t-sirts?

jWZTYLMg0y9shDx6JU3q7H9PfhmSfywl9P2MvJb2

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Has technology progressed to putting gifs on t-sirts?

jWZTYLMg0y9shDx6JU3q7H9PfhmSfywl9P2MvJb2

:D Exactly how I feel when I encounter the latest SG "data issue".

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

:D Exactly how I feel when I encounter the latest SG "data issue".

You don't even get paid peanuts for doing it.

34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Possible designs.....

or 

:D The second one is probably more apt.

16 minutes ago, dtgj said:

1,882 is the UK figure for today. England alone is 1,495, higher than the 1,338 last Sunday.

To add to this there has been a small rise over the last week but nothing to worry about IMO. Especially with the mass testing happening in several London boroughs early in the week. 

Nucky Thompson
36 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Correct Enzo. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths are all still dropping in the whole of the UK.

God knows where some folk get their information from

There will be a rise in infections.  It's already well accepted within the strategies of both governments.  As has been stated,  the vaccination of the top 9 priority groups has drastically altered the consequences of infection.  The link between the epidemiology and serious illness has been broken.  It was always designed to be a temporary situation in any case because vaccinations will continue down through the age groups.

Newer variants.  Two things arise out of the variants that have come along since the design of the current vaccines.  1.  Will vaccine efficacy be affected by exposure to newer variants?  Probably.  But it's being suggested that vaccinated people should still retain good protection against serious illness.  2.  Competition between variants.  Any variant that comes along needs to be the most infectious around in order to become dominant.  If a new variant does become dominant then it may well evade the sterilising performance of the vaccines,  spread widely,  but not necessarily cause much of an effect of serious illness.  But it increases the probability of further variants arising out of high levels of residual virus in the community.  Eventually one of which could begin to evade the protective performance of vaccines.

Updated vaccines are already well underway.  It seems to me that the UK is probably well ahead in the race to remain protected + begin updated immunisation before the newer variants threaten the gains made.  Hopefully we'll stay ahead with a bit to spare.

12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You don't even get paid peanuts for doing it.

No, but I get your thumbs-up each day which is much more rewarding. :thumb:

Now if everyone could turn their attention back to James, as is normally the case, then that would be great. ;)

That FOH-type strip idea is splendid by the way. Where would the cut-off point be though, and would we be allowed a small quote of our choosing next to our name? There might be a few on here, for example, who could choose "Tiers don't work!", "It's just all media scaremongering!", or "Nicola just loves the control!".

My one would be, I suppose, "Here are today's per-100,000 7-day council case stats". Steve Interesting Davis has met his match.

Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No, but I get your thumbs-up each day which is much more rewarding. :thumb:

Now if everyone could turn their attention back to James, as is normally the case, then that would be great. ;)

That FOH-type strip idea is splendid by the way. Where would the cut-off point be though, and would we be allowed a small quote of our choosing next to our name? There might be a few on here, for example, who could choose "Tiers don't work!", "It's just all media scaremongering!", or "Nicola just loves the control!".

My one would be, I suppose, "Here are today's per-100,000 7-day council case stats". Steve Interesting Davis has met his match.

👍👍

A wee bonus.😏

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No, but I get your thumbs-up each day which is much more rewarding. :D

Moi ???? Never im a shy and retiring type really honest ! I don’t like any attention or draw attention to myself 😂 

07FB4C10-1910-4CE0-B48F-F1482270025E.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Correct Enzo. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths are all still dropping in the whole of the UK.

👍

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍👍

A wee bonus.😏

My week is complete. :)

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

👍

Just checked the UK government Covid dashboard.

Cases down 2.8% over 7 days

People in hospital down 12.8%

Deaths down 27.1%

Testing up by 18.9%

Every stat is positive

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Just checked the UK government Covid dashboard.

Cases down 2.8% over 7 days

People in hospital down 12.8%

Deaths down 27.1%

Testing up by 18.9%

Every stat is positive

Great ! 

Enzo Chiefo
55 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Ok, they vary daily but weekly figures have gone down again this week. Scotland's are, proportionately, higher. They're getting to the stage where the importance of reporting cases is in question .

Enzo Chiefo
37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There will be a rise in infections.  It's already well accepted within the strategies of both governments.  As has been stated,  the vaccination of the top 9 priority groups has drastically altered the consequences of infection.  The link between the epidemiology and serious illness has been broken.  It was always designed to be a temporary situation in any case because vaccinations will continue down through the age groups.

Newer variants.  Two things arise out of the variants that have come along since the design of the current vaccines.  1.  Will vaccine efficacy be affected by exposure to newer variants?  Probably.  But it's being suggested that vaccinated people should still retain good protection against serious illness.  2.  Competition between variants.  Any variant that comes along needs to be the most infectious around in order to become dominant.  If a new variant does become dominant then it may well evade the sterilising performance of the vaccines,  spread widely,  but not necessarily cause much of an effect of serious illness.  But it increases the probability of further variants arising out of high levels of residual virus in the community.  Eventually one of which could begin to evade the protective performance of vaccines.

Updated vaccines are already well underway.  It seems to me that the UK is probably well ahead in the race to remain protected + begin updated immunisation before the newer variants threaten the gains made.  Hopefully we'll stay ahead with a bit to spare.

Good post. Let's hope so.👍

Enzo Chiefo
39 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Thanks for confirming,  NT.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ok, they vary daily but weekly figures have gone down again this week. Scotland's are, proportionately, higher. They're getting to the stage where the importance of reporting cases is in question .

Over the last week, Scotland's and England's per-capita case figures are fairly neck-and-neck according to Travelling Tabby:

1668513441_Screenshotat2021-04-1820-08-40.png.597cb0469c127f076ab8d2b57e021a08.png

Also, regarding the debate about the recent case figures in the UK, the 7-day average case figure for the UK was up marginally today from 2,533 to 2,555, but that's nothing really. At the moment we're essentially on a plateau regarding cases in the UK.

Sorry, I should have included the following graph from Travelling Tabby to show that case plateau:

88903107_Screenshotat2021-04-1820-19-46.png.b57c6699f746aadeabd117dff7825bf3.png

Enzo Chiefo
23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Over the last week, Scotland's and England's per-capita case figures are fairly neck-and-neck according to Travelling Tabby:

1668513441_Screenshotat2021-04-1820-08-40.png.597cb0469c127f076ab8d2b57e021a08.png

Also, regarding the debate about the recent case figures in the UK, the 7-day average case figure for the UK was up marginally today from 2,533 to 2,555, but that's nothing really. At the moment we're essentially on a plateau regarding cases in the UK.

Thanks Red👍. Hospitalisations, I suppose, are the main barometer of where we are and, thankfully, they seem to be on a continued downward trajectory.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Thanks Red👍. Hospitalisations, I suppose, are the main barometer of where we are and, thankfully, they seem to be on a continued downward trajectory.

Yes it’s the hospitalisations which overwhelmed the NHS so it’s good to see they are nearly under the 100 mark now in the whole of Scotland 

manaliveits105

Nicola Sturgeon warns that international travel restrictions will last longer

weeks/ months she says for Scots 

as we opened up too soon last year 

( eh we didn’t have a vaccine)

she wants to persuade rest of UK to quarantine from all countries even the green and amber

absolute control freak 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, it has been great seeing those hospitalisation figures come down so quickly, Enzo. :thumb:

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

she wants to persuade rest of UK to quarantine from all countries even the green and amber

absolute control freak 

As you say we didn’t have a vaccine . It’s an entirely different ball game this year . 

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

As you say we didn’t have a vaccine . It’s an entirely different ball game this year . 

Is it? Let's see if the vaccine actually works, James, before you tell us how it's a game changer. Especially if people don't take it. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Is it? Let's see if the vaccine actually works, James, before you tell us how it's a game changer. Especially if people don't take it. 

If it works ? 😂

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

absolute control freak 

:pleasing:

manaliveits105
28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:pleasing:

On the bright side thanks to last minute SG restriction alterations to hospitality every household must be 1 metre away from each other when seated at tables inside or out - many pubs and restaurants saying won’t be worth opening - they don’t have big enough tables or space

:mw_tease:

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

On the bright side thanks to last minute SG restriction alterations to hospitality every household must be 1 metre away from each other when seated at tables inside or out - many pubs and restaurants saying won’t be worth opening - they don’t have big enough tables or space

:mw_tease:

As long as my local beer garden is open next week what’s not to like.

🍺👍

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As long as my local beer garden is open next week what’s not to like.

🍺👍

It will probably only have space for about 5 people under Sturgeon's rules.  She should put them out of their misery and just close hospitality permanently as its what she wants.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It will probably only have space for about 5 people under Sturgeon's rules.  She should put them out of their misery and just close hospitality permanently as its what she wants.

What's key the differences between her's, Johnson's, Drakeford's and Foster's once we are all initially open?

Edited by DETTY29

Governor Tarkin
Just now, DETTY29 said:

What's key the differences between her's, Johnson's, Drakeford's and Foster's once we are all open?

Fun will be restricted to one person from every four households, or one person from every six patrons - whichever is lower.  This will also be time limited to no more than 15 minutes of joy per visit to any hospitality venue. 

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Fun will be restricted to one person from every four households, or one person from every six patrons - whichever is lower.  This will also be time limited to no more than 15 minutes of joy per visit to any hospitality venue. 

Balanced.

Dagger Is Back
11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

absolute control freak 

I don’t see it that way.

I think she’s more on the money than the approach being taken down south by that buffoon Johnson.

There may be a price to pay for opening up too soon and we’ll find out soon enough.

Travel corridors are a nonsense and only essential travel should be allowed. It was very noticeable in town how many English visitors had headed North.

Control freak or understandably cautious given the cluster@@@@ we’ve made of things being relaxed too soon?

I’ll go with the latter.

41 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

What's key the differences between her's, Johnson's, Drakeford's and Foster's once we are all initially open?

For starters, beer gardens reopened a couple of weeks ago in England while our numbers were far lower.

You can't keep people and businesses locked down forever, despite her prohibition stance.

27 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I don’t see it that way.

I think she’s more on the money than the approach being taken down south by that buffoon Johnson.

There may be a price to pay for opening up too soon and we’ll find out soon enough.

Travel corridors are a nonsense and only essential travel should be allowed. It was very noticeable in town how many English visitors had headed North.

Control freak or understandably cautious given the cluster@@@@ we’ve made of things being relaxed too soon?

I’ll go with the latter.

I do agree with Sturgeon on this - the international travel corridors are a joke and only exist to placate the tory donors from the airlines and holiday firms.

We need to get the UK out of lockdown safely and back to a normality where businesses can safely reopen and stay open, so its time to tell the halwits who expect their two weeks in the Costa Del Sol it ain't happening unless you stump up for a quarantine hotel stay on return.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

For starters, beer gardens reopened a couple of weeks ago in England while our numbers were far lower.

You can't keep people and businesses locked down forever, despite her prohibition stance.

Our numbers have been higher fir a few weeks now haven't they?

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Our numbers have been higher fir a few weeks now haven't they?

On a per-capita cases basis, yes (graphic from Travelling Tabby):

1298145167_Screenshotat2021-04-1909-39-35.png.04d8ff5c6e0604de3c88059df49ca189.png

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Due to the new variants, India should probably be on the Red list but that would put the kibosh on the Buffoon's trade deal trip to India.

Meanwhile flights land in the UK from the subcontinent with frequent regularity. 

Let's hope the new variant isn't one of concern......

India rate of infection now 3 times that of Pakistan, one on red list, one not.

I suppose you could argue on level of honesty and other political reasoning about being careful on travelling between the countries, but for pandemic reasons, yep India should be, and now.

Edited by DETTY29

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic