Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

10 hours ago, Taffin said:

I don't mind her and quite like that she's sharing her opinion and beliefs rather than just facts. She's also clearly a very intelligent and competent professional.

I just wish she wouldn't make statements of hyperbolic opinion based as fact as it's makes me doubt what parts are grounded in the data and what parts are just her opinion.

It's her opinion that the restrictions play no role in killing the economy, and her opinion that if we lift restrictions in March that we'll be back in lockdown in April. She's no doubt got very good reason for thinking both of those things but just be up front about them being opinion rather than making definitive statements.

Hit the nail on the head with her mixture if real knowledge ( science ) getting mixed up with economics etc , 

7 hours ago, Costanza said:

I see the usual suspects are out with their Devi bashing.

At least she can point to other countries who adopted a zero covid approach early and are living their lives more freely now than ours, whereas the naysayers can point to...pretty much hee haw. 

Yes Australia and New Zealand doing well presently as they no incoming tourism which can only last so Long . 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I got mine ten days ago 👍

It was Mrs LD that had the appointment for the drive through. 

They started putting more appointments on the system so she got the venue changed for the same day next week. 

Let's hope there are no more computer glitches though it must have been awful for those folk in Fife the other day. 

Good to hear.

57 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thank **** for that. I've got zero bacon in the fridge so that should be just enough for a bacon and egg doubler if I should ever fancy one. 

That's the spirit.

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hit the nail on the head with her mixture if real knowledge ( science ) getting mixed up with economics etc , 

Yes Australia and New Zealand doing well presently as they no incoming tourism which can only last so Long . 

They can go to the pub though.

I repeat, they can go to the pub.

I miss the pub.

Slagging off Hearts to my daughter with a can in my hand after a game at home just isn't the same.

Probably bad parenting as well.

Good luck on the quarantine hotels!! They may not be as safe and Sturgeon and Johnstone think.

Nebulizer That Vaporized Virus Starts New Australia Outbreak

For a fresh perspective on the stories that matter for Australian business and politics, sign up for our weekly newsletter.

A cluster of the virulent U.K. strain of coronavirus in Australia rose to 11 on Thursday, with authorities saying it started in a Melbourne quarantine hotel by a person who used a nebulizer to treat a health condition.

The medical device, which vaporizes medication or liquid, also worked to spread the virus through mist “suspended in the air with very, very fine aerosolized particles,” said Victoria state Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton.

This was how the virus was carried out of the hotel room into the corridor, where staff walking the halls were exposed, he said.

Masks, Covid and What Kind of Mask – What Experts Say: QuickTake

The outbreak is yet another example of the insidious ways that SARS-CoV-2 can spread, stymieing even countries with the strictest travel and containment regimes in the world.

The outbreak is raising concern that Australia’s quarantine system, in which many overseas arrivals must stay in designated hotels in major cities for 14 days, must be reinforced or redesigned as more virulent strains of the virus spread worldwide.

Infectious particles expelled from an infected person’s nose and mouth are thought to be the main source of Covid-19 infection. Although larger respiratory droplets from coughs and sneezes are the main source of transmission, a growing body of evidence is implicating smaller aerosol particles that can float in the air further and longer.

In light of that, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began recommending this week that Americans wear either a cloth mask with multiple layers of fabric or a surgical mask beneath a cloth one to improve protection against the coronavirus.

In Melbourne, authorities believe the virus spread from the nebulizer used by a person in a family of three quarantined in the hotel, to at least six workers. Two of the three new cases identified on Thursday were spouses of infected staff.

While testing for the virus has been ramped up in Australia’s second-largest city and investigators seek to track and isolate all contacts of the hotel workers, other regions are wary of contagion: South Australia state has announced it’s blocking arrivals from Melbourne.

How Do People Catch Covid-19? Here’s What Experts Say: QuickTake

Melbourne, which is currently hosting the Australian Open Grand Slam tennis tournament, last year endured one of the world’s strictest and longest lockdowns, which confined the city’s 5 million residents to their homes for more than three months.

Australia, which has recorded fewer than 29,000 cases of Covid-19 since the pandemic began, has come close to eliminating community transmission of the virus through strict controls on travel, vigilant contact tracing methods, and testing.

“This new, more infectious U.K. strain has blown open cracks in our hotel quarantine system, putting the nation at risk,” Omar Khorshid, president of the Australian Medical Association, said in a statement. “Alternatives must be found now that will allow some travel in and out of Australia whilst protecting all Australians from this virus.”

32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Her subject is public health and in how as much as possible to improve (globally admittedly rather than just locally and a me, me, me, me attitude) that before the medical folk kick in, with a realisation medical support will always be required.

And a goosed economy impacts public health so her research looks into that too as it is an end to end process and from there draws on conclusions.

She is warning us again, as she has from last January of the impact of the root cause, the virus and that some play offs will be required to get to a sense of normality.  There are 4 or 5 key components to that, and certainly not some of the stuff that around 2 weeks ago the last time she was discussed on here you accused her of back then.  Indeed she believes in the opposite.

Us doing an Australia or New Zealand would have been very difficult due to proximity of other countries, so we would have needed some creative thinking.  Surely it would have been better after an awful short sharp shock to have a local economy heading back on track, with some scope to better support the more international ones, than be where we are outside of a few, everything is goosed, having greater downstream longer term economic and health impacts.

Edited by DETTY29

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If you posted a meme about it then it must be true. :(

Shouldn't affect you though. When the real jobs are gone there will still be skips to rake through and gutters to wallow in - although your bankrupt seperatist utopia may yield a bit more by way of competition for the scraps.

Aaaaaaww, I made you cry. 😀

12 minutes ago, Costanza said:

They can go to the pub though.

I repeat, they can go to the pub.

I miss the pub.

Slagging off Hearts to my daughter with a can in my hand after a game at home just isn't the same.

Probably bad parenting as well.

True 

7 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

An island, at almost the end of the earth is not similar to the northern part of a bigger island, with many more ins and outs. 

Realistic comparisons are welcome, obvious massive different comparisons will not be usefully helpful.

I am not aware of the mentions of Devi Sridar on this thread, I rarely look at it. I know Devi Sridar said Scotland could be Covid free last summer, then it totally wasn't, and is still in her job, and we still have to listen to her opinions, whilst maintaining that the Scottish Govt has retained trust whilst the British one hasn't. 

We are where we are because of the politicians, primarily at WM level but at Scottish level too in not banging the drum hard enough as to how off course the UK (and the west) was heading.

Edited by DETTY29

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

We are where we are because of the politicians, primarily at WM level but at Scottish level too in not banging the drum hard enough as to how off course the UK (and the west) was heading.

Fair comment.

7 hours ago, Costanza said:

It's not about endless lockdown but about preventing them, which is why I find some of the comments about Devi Sridhar on here completely disingenuous.

She's an actual, real-life expert. The alternative-facts experts on here don't like that.

7 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

An island, at almost the end of the earth is not similar to the northern part of a bigger island, with many more ins and outs. 

Realistic comparisons are welcome, obvious massive different comparisons will not be usefully helpful.

I am not aware of the mentions of Devi Sridar on this thread, I rarely look at it. I know Devi Sridar said Scotland could be Covid free last summer, then it totally wasn't, and is still in her job, and we still have to listen to her opinions, whilst maintaining that the Scottish Govt has retained trust whilst the British one hasn't. 

When you fail to comprehend the difference between "could" and "definitely will regardless of what anyone does from this point on" then you're always going to struggle.

Edited by Ray Gin

Dennis Reynolds

Vaccination centre at the Gyle was meant to open on Monday but has now been delayed a couple weeks. Not sure about the other ones and not sure the reasons why. Bit of a bump in the road but numbers are still looking good so hopefully it is just that! 

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

She's an actual, real-life expert. The alternative-facts experts on here don't like that.

Indeed.  One of the experts routinely denigrated because she tends to say stuff that doesn't reinforce pre-determined belief systems.  Other experts sometimes say stuff that does support pre-determined notions so they're the good guys.  Until they say something unhelpful.

I believe that some of the people on here describe this as "critical thinking".

:tlj:

jack D and coke
On 09/02/2021 at 19:10, sadj said:

You talk some shite 🤣🤣🤣 love it

It’s absolutely ****ing incredible. Honest to **** man. 

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

I see the usual suspects are out with their Devi bashing.

At least she can point to other countries who adopted a zero covid approach early and are living their lives more freely now than ours, whereas the naysayers can point to...pretty much hee haw. 

When will australia allow their citizens to travel home?

Jeffros Furios

What on earth has Bill Gates done to receive the wrath of the tinfoil wearing QAnon Infowars nutters ?

1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

What on earth has Bill Gates done to receive the wrath of the tinfoil wearing QAnon Infowars nutters ?

Windows Vista.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Aaaaaaww, I made you cry. 😀

Your posts make everyone's eyes water tbf.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That reminds of.

What's the longest hair in your body?

Weakened Offender
40 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need more eye-watering posts imo. 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

We need more eye-watering posts imo. 

Knock yourself out. 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Morning 😂😂😂 where u been the last few days ? I missed you 👀

Knackered. The weather makes work more difficult, bud. So I can't really be fecked with chieftains of the clan Bell on this thread. 

11 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Restrictions are impacting the economy.

But the restrictions are there because of the virus.

Back to what is the root cause?

The virus.

Not understanding the root cause and a year on still comparing with the flu is why we are still here.

We need to get the virus to a manageable level so restrictions can be lifted.

The virus didn't die out in the summer as folk thought, we damn well near broke the chain but didn't have the measures in place to surpress properly.

And still don't.

And never will have. Life, travel, business, everything is global nowadays. Politicians thinking they can eradicate it are indulging in game playing. Our borders need to be open. So we have to manage the virus within the country , as we already do with colds, flus and many other diseases. The vaccination programme allows us to protect the most vulnerable from serious illness, regardless of mutations, and restrictions should be lifted as the programme progresses.

As a nation, we have to accept the virus will be endemic and that people may suffer the "sniffles" from time to time. Some may suffer worse symptoms as is the case with other conditions. There will be plenty of people out there who have been denied treatment for more serious illnesses over the last year and our focus needs to shift towards clearing that backlog and to repairing the social, economic, educational and cultural damage that has been done over the last year.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And never will have. Life, travel, business, everything is global nowadays. Politicians thinking they can eradicate it are indulging in game playing. Our borders need to be open. So we have to manage the virus within the country , as we already do with colds, flus and many other diseases. The vaccination programme allows us to protect the most vulnerable from serious illness, regardless of mutations, and restrictions should be lifted as the programme progresses.

As a nation, we have to accept the virus will be endemic and that people may suffer the "sniffles" from time to time. Some may suffer worse symptoms as is the case with other conditions. There will be plenty of people out there who have been denied treatment for more serious illnesses over the last year and our focus needs to shift towards clearing that backlog and to repairing the social, economic, educational and cultural damage that has been done over the last year.

We don't have these in place to manage just now and one year down the line, still don't.  Or we have, but the govt aren't pushing.

We are waiting on vaccine to be the utopia or medical science to catch up.

Edited by DETTY29

Malinga the Swinga
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Astra zeneca posts profits of £2.3b for the year 2020.

So what. Private company makes profit isn't newsworthy, its day to day business. 

Would you rather they went bust. 

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Astra zeneca posts profits of £2.3b for the year 2020.

No problem with that although didn't some say they wouldn't profit from the pandemic?

Even if they have, they just need to come good on putting those profits directly back in to the public purse, community in some measurable way.

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

What, human DNA?

Take your pick , Human DNA , incomer DNA , IQ 😉

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think we should euthanise the population for their own safety...

Id prefer a hunger games style solution 😈

1 hour ago, Gards said:

Windows Vista.

Brilliant🤣

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

No problem with that although didn't some say they wouldn't profit from the pandemic?

Even if they have, they just need to come good on putting those profits directly back in to the public purse, community in some measurable way.

I’m sure someone on here had a go at me about the size of profits of these companies or said its only a tiny percentage of profit (0.1%) for their outlay. Could be well off i have semi- permanent brain freeze after being outside today

9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Neither do I, but why give it the old 'at no profit' bollox. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Neither do I, but why give it the old 'at no profit' bollox. 

How much of that profit is derived from other products?

17 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So what. Private company makes profit isn't newsworthy, its day to day business. 

Would you rather they went bust. 

No. But there was people talking shite that they weren't in it for the money. They can make as much as they can, Mal. Just save us the bollox. 

63000 vaccinated yesterday. Pretty good. 

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nothing. It's all UK tax payers money. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Astra Zeneca are doing the vaccine at cost. 

The profits are nothing to do with COVID vaccine and excludes anything to do with the vaccine. 

Would you like to buy a pack of left handed screwdrivers. 👍

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

100% I think.

Sure they split out the revenue from the vaccine in their results but I might be wrong.

Edit: not sure if it's 100% from other products, they maybe offer services etc too. But fairly sure it doesn't include anything from the CV19 vaccine

Edited by Taffin

17 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Edit - vaccine element of their business from the pandemic......

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Astra Zeneca are doing the vaccine at cost. 

The profits are nothing to do with COVID vaccine and excludes anything to do with the vaccine. 

Is that accurate BJ? Maybe that is what someones comment to me about their profits was about 

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Which is the lowest since 2014 for them.....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266544/astrazeneca-operating-profit-since-2006/

Exactly.  A very quick google search would have revealed as such but some posters just cant wait to jump on here and imply wrongdoing or dodgy practices by a company who have offered to provide the vaccine at cost.

Very revealing into the motives and intelligence of some of the posters on this thread. 

40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There is no policy of eradication.  It's the latest bogus misrepresentation from The Institute of Critical Thought.

There is a policy of elimination. I haven’t heard either Sturgeon or Devi mention, on their respective TV shows, accept that the virus will be endemic and we have to deal with that. I'm sure their views will filter through to the Institute of Group Think.

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Which is the lowest since 2014 for them.....

Really... Why is it saying they have doubled their profits from 2019 then. Cancer drugs the big moneymaker for them

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There profit specifically exclude the coronavirus jab,

A pharmaceutical company posting huge profits during a national emergency is not surprising. There products are demand but they are not profiting out of the vaccine. 100% on that.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/astrazeneca-profits-double-vaccine-maker-19814792

Cheers 🤘🏻 I would imagine there are some unscrupulous ones about who have put prices or costs up to make something off it. Thats just business. Are all companies doing the vaccine work and sales at cost? Im sure I read somewhere 1 dose of pfizer was £12

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266544/astrazeneca-operating-profit-since-2006/

Exactly.  A very quick google search would have revealed as such but some posters just cant wait to jump on here and imply wrongdoing or dodgy practices by a company who have offered to provide the vaccine at cost.

Very revealing into the motives and intelligence of some of the posters on this thread. 

You're full of utter pish. No motivation, just wish people would just be honest. Their vaccine is brilliant. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Aye I’ll trade you some tartan paint, be perfect for you 

someone posted on jkb the other day saying that the lamposts in some place were painted tartan as it was more Scottish than anywhere in Scotland? 🤣 underrated post imo

manaliveits105

Oh she might let us  holiday in our own country later in summer but really cant say at the moment - still its hope Nicola its hope and we cant ask more of you-  your hopyness.

Im going to email her and say Ive wont have my jab for sometime but thanks for that little glint of hope .

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic