Coronavirus pandemic

CJGJ

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The long and short of it is people just don't have willpower. We all know it's sensible to eat better, exercise more, drink less and smoke less. People just don't do it.

I'm also against banning things and rules and regulations. I'd just add a tax onto NHS treatment for people are over a certain body fat percentage 😂😂

That would be a sizist tax 

• Replies 68.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesM48

• Victorian

• The Real Maroonblood

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

If this pandemic has shown us anything, it’s the stark difference in general health of the U.K. population when compared to our European neighbours. 

It absolutely MUST be a part of the post-pandemic rebuild that we focus heavily on educating people on healthy living. That means incentivising exercise and heavy push on education around healthy food.

Yes, let's start eating our harvested fish foods, win-win, UK population & our fishermen...:2thumbsup:

The size of our fish displays in our major supermarkets compared to the continent displaying Scottish produce is an eye-opener.

Edited by OBE
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Excess vaccines at the end of each day going in the bin.

managed to phone my wife(nurse but not patient facing role), to come to the vaccination site to get her 1st jag.

pure luck.

needs to be better organised.

Delete - seen you answered my q's eksewhere.

Edited by DETTY29
18 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

Most certainly not, I'm not a fascist, it would be a composition tax 😂😂

3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Are these the Pfeizer ones taken out of freezer that day but not used?

Is that because an area has planned so many jags that day, but people didn't turn up; or so many must come out freezer due to an expiry date, but not enough vaccinations planned?

I'd be worried if the public looked at Scotland who has 500k supplies this week, vaccinating 16k a day and thinking 350k-ish were being chucked in the bin. 

Or worse, that was the case although wastage is built into plan.

I really hope it's nowhere near those numbers and instead just a handful a day from people who due to unforeseen circumstances couldn't make it in. 

Really wouldn't be a good look given parts of the world are absolutely crying out for access to the vaccine.

Victorian
47 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve gone early, so deleted post. Ignore post but in answer to your question I believe so but I don’t know for sure. 

Premature vaccination?

Just now, Taffin said:

I really hope it's nowhere near those numbers and instead just a handful a day from people who due to unforeseen circumstances couldn't make it in. 

Really wouldn't be a good look given parts of the world are absolutely crying out for access to the vaccine.

@Jambof3tornadoresponded it's pfeizer so figures a lot less.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

There will also be doses of the Pfizer vaccine disposed of due to how sensitive it is to handle. Shaking the vaccine can cause it to stop it being suspended in the liquid and rendering it being unusable.

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

There will also be doses of the Pfizer vaccine disposed of due to how sensitive it is to handle. Shaking the vaccine can cause it to stop it being suspended in the liquid and rendering it being unusable.

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It will be pfeizer primarily just now.

Screenshot_20210114-095620_Drive.jpg

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Valneva is based in Livingston.  Don't know if they manufacture there.

They do

the general
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Has the UK ordered any of it?

I'm sure it said yes on the Beeb earlier but I didn't catch how many and when

manaliveits105
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

They do

but will it be known as the Livingston Valneva or will the cult ban using the place name like Oxford Astrazeneca ?  

frankblack
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

but will it be known as the Livingston Valneva or will the cult ban using the place name like Oxford Astrazeneca ?  

My brother told me that my Mum's GPs still haven't received any vaccine as of a couple of days ago.  The GPs actually had a sign up saying they had not received any!

She is in her Mid 80s, and there are a lot of older people in the Cramond, Barnton, and Silverknowes area.

frankblack

I see Andy Murray has tested positive ahead of the Aussie Open.

Seemingly an outbreak in the training camp.

14 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The name Livingston has long been associated with pioneering, would be harsh to deny them.

Edited by OBE
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

The long and short of it is people just don't have willpower. We all know it's sensible to eat better, exercise more, drink less and smoke less. People just don't do it.

I'm also against banning things and rules and regulations. I'd just add a tax onto NHS treatment for people are over a certain body fat percentage 😂😂

1 hour ago, Ma Roon said:

Simple answer would be to disband the NHS, massively reduce taxes and take healthcare out fo the government's wasteful hands.

Let the fatties and couch potatoes see what their lifestyles are really costing them when they have to decide between a widescreen TV or their medication.

frankblack
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Simple answer would be to disband the NHS, massively reduce taxes and take healthcare out fo the government's wasteful hands.

Let the fatties and couch potatoes see what their lifestyles are really costing them when they have to decide between a widescreen TV or their medication.

That is working out well in the U.S. of course.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

If you have little to live for, abandoned by a selfish society, TV and Netflix is maybe all you have to look forward too.

26 minutes ago, OBE said:

The name Livingston has long been associated with pioneering, would be harsh to deny them.

Or they could just be known as they always have been.*

Got shareholders, branding, future funding to think about.

*Of course they may have been bought over, merged, renamed, rebranded during their history.

Edited by DETTY29
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Spot on although you can be unlucky in health issues outwith one's control 

I suppose maybe a higher tax on self inflicted criteria may be a detterent or maybe cheaper deals for those in good shape would be an incentive 

10 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Or they could just be known as they always have been.*

Got shareholders, branding, future funding to think about.

Of course they may have been bought over, merged, renamed, rebranded during their history.

Sorry, should've made reference to just the vaccine name only "Livingston Valneva" or "Valneva Livingston"...

3 hours ago, sadj said:

Saw on Sky News it said 83% immunity for the 5months but in that time you can still catch it and can also transmit it (may have picked this bit up wrong it wasn’t very clear) We discussed this couple days ago with James and others calling bullshit when Carl said three people he knows who are doctors have had it twice (this is not a dig at those posters before they reply). Then it was batted about between us all if it was rare or very rare to catch it twice.

I think that what was said this morning just says again we still don’t have a great understanding of the virus or its mutations. 

Yes still early days about re transmission but we are now nearly a year and still very rare cases of re transmission . Only time will tell I think. 

12 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sorry, should've made reference to just the vaccine name only "Livingston Valneva" or "Valneva Livingston"...

Oxford has been taken off the AstraZeneca viles for a reason and something the Oxford scientists don't give a monkeys about, but no doubt AstraZeneca do.

All imo.

Of course could be 101 other reasons, but it won't be anything to do with an anti British recognition of the Oxford scientists success in conjunction with AZ.

Edited by DETTY29
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

If this pandemic has shown us anything, it’s the stark difference in general health of the U.K. population when compared to our European neighbours. 

It absolutely MUST be a part of the post-pandemic rebuild that we focus heavily on educating people on healthy living. That means incentivising exercise and heavy push on education around healthy food.

Yes it’s no coincidence our death rate is so high compared to other European counties . Our “ health “ stats are awful compared to other counties . In particular obesity . 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

That’s going down a dangerous route I feel . Deciding who gets treatment or not . I watch “ My 600lb life “ a lot on tv and this very morbidity obese people on that have usually had some serious traumas in their lives and their way of coping / comfort has been to eat . Psychological imput for them seems to help as well as guidance about diet etc . Processed foods etc have so much sugar and salt in them too . Imformation on healthy food would help . But many lack the motivation to change etc . This is an issue for most addicts whether it’s food or drugs . 

26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

If you have little to live for, abandoned by a selfish society, TV and Netflix is maybe all you have to look forward too.

Exactly . 

Weakened Offender
38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'm not sure the answer you are suggesting is as simple as a) you think it as and b) the person who posted it. 

[insert Obua pic] 

45 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

TV and Netflix don't make you fat. I do that for hours every evening. I just don't accompany it with sackfuls of cakes at the same time and make sure I exercise before it 👍👍

Edited by Taffin
manaliveits105
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

My brother told me that my Mum's GPs still haven't received any vaccine as of a couple of days ago.  The GPs actually had a sign up saying they had not received any!

She is in her Mid 80s, and there are a lot of older people in the Cramond, Barnton, and Silverknowes area.

In my neighbouhood Im aware of late 80s people getting appointments next week but early 80s not contacted yet 

despite the daily figures it does seem slow 

The Future's Maroon

Hey kickbackers!

can someone or a few folk please tell me roughly how much work are secondary schools sending kids to work on at home, e.g is a couple of hours a days worth or more.

My reason for asking is my step kids seem to be trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying they haven’t had that much and to be frank I think they are at it, unfortunately their mother believes them and due to her having a stroke at the beginning of the week (recovering well), I am not want to cause arguments.

The last lockdown they did take the piss by pretending they were doing stuff only for us to find out they had done bugger all....the then got phones/remotes removed and forced to do all they had missed - I don’t really want that situation arising again so if anyone can give a rough idea it would be appreciated, yes I am aware I can get them to log into their online stuff and get them to show me, I want to trust what they are telling us before going down that road.

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

TV and Netflix don't make you fat. I do that for hours every evening. I just don't accompany it with sackfuls of cakes at the same time and make sure I exercise before it 👍👍

Was too late to edit but wanted to add 

Edit: I should add I completely agree with the point you and James are making though, there are some people who need help with it...and they should absolutely get it. I'm talking about you're average UK person: 67% of UK males are overweight, that has a major impact on their health and the NHS. Of course, I don't like overweight defined by BMI as it's just stupid but people over c.25% body fat are severely impacting their well-being and risk of serious other illnesses. I'm not talking your 600lb man or whatever, it's evident they need help and support for whatever isolation or trauma they're suffering

Edited by Taffin
3 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Hey kickbackers!

can someone or a few folk please tell me roughly how much work are secondary schools sending kids to work on at home, e.g is a couple of hours a days worth or more.

My reason for asking is my step kids seem to be trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying they haven’t had that much and to be frank I think they are at it, unfortunately their mother believes them and due to her having a stroke at the beginning of the week (recovering well), I am not want to cause arguments.

The last lockdown they did take the piss by pretending they were doing stuff only for us to find out they had done bugger all....the then got phones/remotes removed and forced to do all they had missed - I don’t really want that situation arising again so if anyone can give a rough idea it would be appreciated, yes I am aware I can get them to log into their online stuff and get them to show me, I want to trust what they are telling us before going down that road.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope she gets well soon.

Can't help with the kids thing though, sorry.

21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I do the intermittent fasting diet now . Only eat in a 8 hour frame . Tend to stop eating at 9 in evening then don’t eat into 2 next day . It’s a good diet 

ArcticJambo

Fortunately, my S2 kid is getting about 4/5 one-hour sessions online with classmtes a day this time.  Previously it appeared to be 'Try to do some of this weekly/monthly grid but if you're not up to it don't worry yourself', needless to say mine isn't really the "Oh, I can't wait t get started, Dad" type so I wouldn't consider it a great success last time.

My P7 picks up a couple of worksheets from school on Mondays at 9am as is expected to complete most of it during the week.  They also have a lot more to get stuck into, from the school website/Teams.  School stated that they would be in touch with us parents and then kid 2/3 times a week to see how everything is going.  To date haven't yet had a call.

Anyway, for us it's certainly better than the lst time, especially for the secondary school kid. 👍

TFM, I do hope you get some tangible results as it's certainly no fun stressing over getting them to realise the necessity of the work they've been tasked.

10 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Hey kickbackers!

I have a kid in p7 and one in s2. They both go to the same independent school, so it may not be representative of other schools. 

My son has a call every morning and he is given a variety of works to compete during that day. My son is generally relatively diligent and he above average intelligence. He generally gets battered out by late morning/lunch time and then getting stuff from his mum or me for a couple hours. He has a little bit of time for other calls ie. Spanish. 

Many of the little projects they get can be as big or as little as they want as well. 

My daughter has a variety of calls during the day, similar to the periods at school. Though they are generally given a short guide to the teaching and aids ie. slides, videos, interactive web lessons etc. 

My daughter is bang average at best and lacks a shit ton of direction. However, at the moment I would say she is more or less doing a full school day. With classes, interactive session and home leaning. Albeit, she needs a lot more assistance than her brother. 

The school in general a lot better at the home leaning thus time round and myself and the wife are able devote the required time and resources to help them. It can be ****ing frustrating at times. I don’t feel their education is suffering the same way it did last time.

The Future's Maroon

Thanks for replies, anymore would be appreciated, ours are in s3 and s5.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Pretty sure the Glaxo and Janssen ones are a long way off.

They are, Glaxo vaccine wasn't going to be ready until at least the end of this year.

18 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

My eldest daughter, s3, had enough work to last her Monday and Tuesday. 

She won’t get anymore until Monday.

A bit of a joke, tbh.

tokyowalnut
19 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Not sure if helpful and don't want to come across like McCabe or Lee Wallace! My partner is a high school teacher and is on live lessons 3-4 times per day and has set quite a bit of work for pupils, especially the S5/S6 so they have plenty of course work evidence in the absence of exams. I think there is quite a push to make sure National Certificate and Higher pupils take a bit of ownership of their work so there isn't the grading fiasco of last year.

Maybe I do listen to her after all!

Adam Murray
22 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I have daughters in S4 and S6, both are getting plenty to see them through the day.

Last time it seemed like just homework, this time round it seems as though its comparable to a normal school day, with the subjects of that days timetable being sent through daily, via google classroom 

The Future's Maroon

Perfect, thanks all for the replies....tells me either their school is murder and not doing enough or they are at it t so they can sit on phones/Netflix/PlayStation’s....they will be ordered down later to log in on laptops and show us what the crack is.

Again, thanks much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I'd have thought in those years they should pretty much be following their timetable of classes and getting the usual amount of coursework and homework.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Adam Murray said:

I have daughters in S4 and S6, both are getting plenty to see them through the day.

Last time it seemed like just homework, this time round it seems as though its comparable to a normal school day, with the subjects of that days timetable being sent through daily, via google classroom 

Heard similar in the past few days, lots of schools now doing online lessons. Good to see the schools adapting quickly. 

I wonder what the commercial sensitivities are leading to UK Gov asking for high level Scottish vaccination plan being taken down from public view?