Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

magic roundabout
21 minutes ago, Barack said:

My Dad was saying, in their area, (Lochearnhead) people are getting phone invites not letters. That a thing, is it?

My Dad who is 90 (central edinburgh) was getting called on the mobile. However, didn't answer because he didn't recognise the number . Eventually, he got an email... Think a letter is best for older folk. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Hardly selfish when they were forced to defend our way of life. 

My Dad fought in Burma and although he survived he was physically and emotionally ruined  when he came back. 

If you are nearly sixty your parents would have suffered from wartime as well. 

Think before you post. 

I didn't advocate euthanasia, just wait a couple of months with oldest being sheltered. 

If my parents were alive, they would have agreed with me. Quite a few older people I know, in laws, neighbours and other retirees agree. 

As for older people being selfish, the sizeable majority of them didn't serve in conflict, didn't live through conflict so it wasn't personal against your dad. 

2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Sweden 12k deaths Scotland 6.5k

Sweden living almost normally. Scotland house arrest for 6 months. 

Massive economic damage. Massive impact on other health issues and mental health. 

Why people find this acceptable is beyond me .

Sweden have also had massive economic damage, many more deaths than their neighbours and are not living almost normally at all. 

It's acceptable because the measures are temporary and people dying is permanent.

54 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My surgery (Edinburgh) over 75’s getting a phone call.

Yeah my mum (under 75 but shielding) got a phone call from her doctor and went into the surgery the following day. 

Edited by Ray Gin

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sweden have also had massive economic damage, many more deaths than their neighbours and are not living almost normally at all. 

It's acceptable because the measures are temporary and people dying is permanent.

No masks and no lockdown is a lot more normal than us. 

People are dying because of lockdown. Do they not count?

12 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You know, I've just literally read that article and was going to post it. Truly horrifying and does certainly lend credence to those of us who feel the govt and scientists are using fear and panic as part of a population control experiment.  As Baker says, we must never trade our freedom for the idea of being "kept safe" by the powers that be. 

The fact that a British Army brigade has been charged with countering "misinformation " is also a chilling revelation.  

The public mood will certainly change, belatedly it has to be said, over the next few weeks.

I think the elections will play a much bigger role in how quickly restrictions are eased as mad as that sounds. I have 2 weeks booked in the Norfolk broads mid may that I would have lost hope on was it not for the elections. They are that desperate for them to go ahead they will have to have eased measures significantly by then with a road map of how other things will come back quickly.  Ultimately they will then just blame the public in June if it's all gone breast skywards and more lockdown are needed.

29 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

No masks and no lockdown is a lot more normal than us. 

People are dying because of lockdown. Do they not count?

All deaths matter. How many in comparison to covid and are these people highly contagious?

Sweden have told people to wear masks, and they are in a form of lockdown, just not the same as ours. They've locked their borders to anyone who doesn't pass a Covid-19 test.

6 minutes ago, connlach said:

I think the elections will play a much bigger role in how quickly restrictions are eased as mad as that sounds. I have 2 weeks booked in the Norfolk broads mid may that I would have lost hope on was it not for the elections. They are that desperate for them to go ahead they will have to have eased measures significantly by then with a road map of how other things will come back quickly.  Ultimately they will then just blame the public in June if it's all gone breast skywards and more lockdown are needed.

Serious question connlach; why would we need another lockdown if "cases" go breast skywards?? To protect whom?

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

My grandmother in Edinburgh was called by her GP surgery and did not receive a letter. Vaccinated last week.

My mate is a plumber who has a few contracts in care homes. He got the vaccine last week as he was on a job and they had a few spare doses at the end of the day that needed used. He's mid 60's. 

5 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Now you will know better than me as you still have the data, but we are looking at very much like being in Tier 3 and below territory, those numbers are pretty good for most areas compared to historic positions. Clacks and Falkirk both have been very up and down with outbreaks so can be ignored to an extent. 

When I started this table way back in November at the start of Tiering the numbers were all much higher. So once the deaths get back down we can expect some significant changes to restrictions in my view.

No idea, Brian, because there are a number of other indicators to be taken into account. There's significant disparity among the councils as regards how well they've recovered from pre-festive season and their historic highs. When tier 4's were introduced, the effective cut-off point was around 150, which would leave some of the councils still there according to the latest figures.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

All deaths matter. How many in comparison to covid and are these people highly contagious?

Sweden have told people to wear masks, and they are in a form of lockdown, just not the same as ours. They've locked their borders to anyone who doesn't pass a Covid-19 test.

They have recommended they wear them in the rush hour on public transport.

The true figures will become apparent in the next few years. I'm sure the government would have done some sort of risk assessment  before recklessly pursuing the lockdown policy though.....

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

They have recommended they wear them in the rush hour on public transport.

The true figures will become apparent in the next few years. I'm sure the government would have done some sort of risk assessment  before recklessly pursuing the lockdown policy though.....

There's no arguing with you, is there.

You stick to your guns regardless of the facts and the science. 

S Korea, NZ & Oz have had lockdowns , some localized , over a long period time. You know that. You know how effective it was. But you post this nonsense. 

You talk about people dying because of lockdown : they are also dying cause  hospitals are even more busy this time than first time with Covid patients meaning staff are diverted to ICU units , away from things like cancer treatment. People like me (heart condition) have been/were waiting 6 months just to get an ECG with a further 4 month wait for scans. That's before any treatment even begins. That's because hospitals are using scanners etc for long covid patients  , even using private hospitals due to demand, also in part because they cannot get the number of people required into their old cramped rooms due to covid restrictions. 

But yeah, recklessly pursuing the lockdown .

2 hours ago, Barack said:

South African variant is far more exotic. It's the one I'd choose.

Immature and all that but imagine the Saf Africa variant left you sounding like Gary Player

20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

S Korea, NZ & Oz have had lockdowns , some localized , over a long period time. You know that. You know how effective it was. But you post this nonsense. 

You talk about people dying because of lockdown : they are also dying cause  hospitals are even more busy this time than first time with Covid patients meaning staff are diverted to ICU units , away from things like cancer treatment. People like me (heart condition) have been/were waiting 6 months just to get an ECG with a further 4 month wait for scans. That's before any treatment even begins. That's because hospitals are using scanners etc for long covid patients  , even using private hospitals due to demand, also in part because they cannot get the number of people required into their old cramped rooms due to covid restrictions. 

How odd that your passively accepting a delaying of your treatment ? In particular heart treatment ,? Doesn’t it bother you ? 

18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So are you suggesting we attempt for zero covid? 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

No surprise. Rarely has there been a British government that wasn't riddled with inhumane scum. 

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

How odd that your passively accepting a delaying of your treatment ? In particular heart treatment ,? Doesn’t it bother you ? 

And wtf are "long covid" patients doing getting priority over patients with heart conditions,  requiring an ECG?? The mono-mania formulating our approach to this virus is staggering 

10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

No surprise. Rarely has there been a British government that wasn't riddled with inhumane scum. 

It's the scientists you should be worrying about...

11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

So are you suggesting we attempt for zero covid? 

We were nearly on that path in the late summer months of last year....but instead we kept borders open and encouraged everyone to go on holiday and many other foolish decisions which had the result of completely overwhelming a poorly run test and trace system thereby making it ineffective.

Get the numbers down to as low as we possibly can....then have a first class test and trace capacity which can manage isolated cases.  

I still think we should have closed the borders like AU/NZ/Others albeit I accept the France/UK traffic would have made that problematic.

Footballfirst

I think the league table of deaths due to Covid will need revised.

From Boomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-08/russia-says-covid-19-accounted-for-half-of-excess-deaths-in-2020

Russia’s death toll from Covid-19 in 2020 was nearly three times the level previously reported by the government, and the disease accounted for half of all excess deaths last year, according to official data.

The Federal Statistics Service reported 44,435 deaths linked to Covid-19 in December in a statement Monday, lifting the full-year total to 162,429. That’s almost triple the 57,555 Covid-19 deaths in 2020 reported by the government’s virus response center.

In total, 2,124,479 Russians died in 2020, nearly 324,000 more than the previous year, according to the statistics service. Deaths in December were 63% higher than in the same month in 2019.

The data demonstrate that the fallout from the novel coronavirus has been far worse than officials initially reported, even as President Vladimir Putin resisted locking down the country during the second, more severe wave of infections that started in the fall. Only the U.S., Brazil and Mexico have reported higher epidemic death totals so far.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think the league table of deaths due to Covid will need revised.

From Boomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-08/russia-says-covid-19-accounted-for-half-of-excess-deaths-in-2020

Russia’s death toll from Covid-19 in 2020 was nearly three times the level previously reported by the government, and the disease accounted for half of all excess deaths last year, according to official data.

The Federal Statistics Service reported 44,435 deaths linked to Covid-19 in December in a statement Monday, lifting the full-year total to 162,429. That’s almost triple the 57,555 Covid-19 deaths in 2020 reported by the government’s virus response center.

In total, 2,124,479 Russians died in 2020, nearly 324,000 more than the previous year, according to the statistics service. Deaths in December were 63% higher than in the same month in 2019.

The data demonstrate that the fallout from the novel coronavirus has been far worse than officials initially reported, even as President Vladimir Putin resisted locking down the country during the second, more severe wave of infections that started in the fall. Only the U.S., Brazil and Mexico have reported higher epidemic death totals so far.

When this is all over, or all over bar the shouting at least, statisticians are going to be pouring over the excess deaths stats for countries worldwide. These are, imo, going to be the most pertinent indicator of how many people died because of Covid (and its effects), not the officially released deaths stats.

25 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And wtf are "long covid" patients doing getting priority over patients with heart conditions,  requiring an ECG?? The mono-mania formulating our approach to this virus is staggering 

Very true ! Glad I kicked up feck to get my treatment in mid December . More people should be doing the same . The amount of ill people accepting this current policy is staggering 

8 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

how can Sweden’s death rate be lower than the uk that doesn’t seem feasible 

Sweden is more sparsely populated, population the size of London in a country 2½ times bigger than the UK. The high numbers are in the big cities, there hasn't been a lockdown like the UK, there are the usual precautions, social distancing, max mixed households etc, staff and even hired security at shops control how many people are allowed in at any given time, lots of folks work from home (the broadband infrastructure is outstanding, which helps).

CavySlaveJambo
3 minutes ago, jim747 said:

Sweden is more sparsely populated, population the size of London in a country 2½ times bigger than the UK. The high numbers are in the big cities, there hasn't been a lockdown like the UK, there are the usual precautions, social distancing, max mixed households etc, staff and even hired security at shops control how many people are allowed in at any given time, lots of folks work from home (the broadband infrastructure is outstanding, which helps).

They have a similar case rate as we do.  Just not the same fatality rate. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Brian Dundas said:

It will be interesting to see (purely from a friendly rivalry point of view, NOT political point scoring) if Scotland can catch up with England in the % vaccinated numbers. It will probably take a bit longer than a week but we are now catching them rather than falling further behind. We are something like 135,000 behind where we need to be as of yesterday's figures.

As someone who criticised speed of vaccination rollout, let's not just catch up with them, let's be ambitious and overtake them. 

Mind, with today's snow, might be a bit harder as transport won't be easy. 

jack D and coke
On 05/02/2021 at 09:59, Mikey1874 said:

Just in your head.

It is true people don't like being told what to do. You just confirm that. 

I don’t read this thread much but Jesus he posts some shite. 

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

It's also a myth that Sweden went down total herd immunity, lives as normal, no restriction route at the start.

They didnt enshrine in law, they highly recommended wfh, takes kids out of school, don't meet folk over 70 but have a high compliance rate with what is asked.  It's a 'social contract' society they have between their populous and politicians.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Their case rate is higher than Scotland. 

Not sure if they have the deadlier strain that we have over here, but Sweden is generally considered a far more healthy country than Scotland (51% of the population overweight compared to 65% in Scotland, for example). Scotland also has more heavy drinkers and smokers.

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t read this thread much but Jesus he posts some shite. 

Sadly a few have been brainwashed with the shite he posts.

jack D and coke
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Absolutely relentless man. I get puffed oot reading this thread it really alters my mood. I’m outta here :lol: 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Absolutely relentless man. I get puffed oot reading this thread it really alters my mood. I’m outta here :lol: 

It’s brutal stuff.

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

"If ye ain't got the Covid, you're not getting in."

"But, but, it's long Covid."

[Looks around, then lowers voice and opens door] "In ye get."

bouncer-white.gif

Just had a look at the long Covid symptoms. Quite a varied list. 

Most of them seem to correlate to the symptoms of depression and anxiety too.

I reckon I've got long-lockdown19 as I've certainly been suffering a few of the things on the list of symptoms for long-covid 

Weakened Offender
22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I'd argue with the term 'brain'washed but I know what you mean. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'd argue with the term 'brain'washed but I know what you mean. 

😄👍

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

It will be interesting to see (purely from a friendly rivalry point of view, NOT political point scoring) if Scotland can catch up with England in the % vaccinated numbers. It will probably take a bit longer than a week but we are now catching them rather than falling further behind. We are something like 135,000 behind where we need to be as of yesterday's figures.

Gap at populous level reduced 1% in last week, or 25% as the starting gap was virtually 4 points.

Edited by DETTY29

Footballfirst

Some good news on the vaccination front from Israel.  It has announced that more than 97% of Covid related deaths over the last 30 days were of people who had not been vaccinated.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As opposed to being brainwashed by the govt and "the science". 🤣 Fair enough, if critical thinking isn't your thng but don't drag the rest of us along with you. Don't worry , your next governmental instruction will be along shortly😁

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

"If ye ain't got the Covid, you're not getting in."

"But, but, it's long Covid."

[Looks around, then lowers voice and opens door] "In ye get."

bouncer-white.gif

"Well, ah feel a bit tired likesay..."  aaahhh that must be long covid, in ye come😄

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Some good news on the vaccination front from Israel.  It has announced that more than 97% of Covid related deaths over the last 30 days were of people who had not been vaccinated.

That is indeed good news.

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

over 60k vaccinated yesterday

Looks like Nicola has won the gurning competition for 2020 ! To be fair to her that “ question “ was never ending . But should try be professional at all time. ESP when the camera is on you 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Just had a look at the long Covid symptoms. Quite a varied list. 

Most of them seem to correlate to the symptoms of depression and anxiety too.

I reckon I've got long-lockdown19 as I've certainly been suffering a few of the things on the list of symptoms for long-covid 

It’s very similar to a 2 days hangover I think 😂

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Looks like Nicola has won the gurning competition for 2020 ! To be fair to her that “ question “ was never ending . But should try be professional at all time. ESP when the camera is on you 

Also the facial reactions of people reading your posts since you stopped washing your messages (apart from your entourage)

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As opposed to being brainwashed by the govt and "the science". 🤣 Fair enough, if critical thinking isn't your thng but don't drag the rest of us along with you. Don't worry , your next governmental instruction will be along shortly😁

You probably believe it's a communist conspiracy because as you pointed out Freeman was a member once of the communist party.:laugh2:

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

giphy.gif

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic