Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Internet

What will a full lockdown actually look like here? Only a certain amount of people allowed in supermarkets at a time etc? 

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s funny I was watching and thinking the opposite.  The range of government and civil service activities this impacts is just unbelievable.  The level of cross party Cooperation I was seeing was genuinely reassuring.

i don’t think you are being ultra critical maybe just underestimating the scale of the activity That has to be undertaken.

for example it was only yesterday that Italy banned people from going out to exercise.  Despite everything.  Spain and Belgium are struggling hugely to implement social distancing and isolation and the numbers reflect that.  Every country is struggling with this.

im not saying more should not be being done and of course there are elements of inactivity that should be criticised but not one country in Europe has got this completely right.  

We've had plenty of time to organise but we've dithered due to the poor judgement of following herd immunity IMO

Eg of dithering, Hancock on TV pleading for manufacturing to help with ventilators is just one. This should have been done on the Qt weeks ago, they knew their numbers. 

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The suicide toll is not accelerating. 

Health care services have capacity to cope with the normal level of deaths by suicide.

Pay some attention at the back, will you?

The healthcare system capacity will be affected if we end up in the dark green profile as healthcare workers are more likely to fall ill. Therefore, the dotted line would take a dip.

If you and I (and everyone else) called it the Chinese virus from the get-go, it wouldn't be racist. 

But it's widely known as COVID-19 or Coronavirus. 

Trump's chosen to call it Chinese virus (a) because he's a massive child and wants to point the blame anywhere but at his own shortcomings and (b ) because he's a massive racist and (c) he doesn't care about upsetting others and the knock on effect that his words may have.

People choosing to follow suit and use Trump's words fall into one or more of these three categories. 

Arguing it's not racist is like folk arguing that calling Pakistani people by the abbreviated form of "Pakistani" is not racist because it's simply that: an abbreviation, just like we are Scots. It's a pedantic workaround to justify their lazy racism. There are other widely accepted terms to use - why not just use one?

Thats a poor comparison to make. A fairer one would be if people were calling it the Ch*nky Virus. Which would be racist. But they are not.

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

i8 appears on a thread and takes the most controversial view possible.

I'm utterly stunned :lol:

Hardly making claims of life on other planets, God does not exist or Jesus was a kangaroo. I am just saying that the disease in itself does not justify the panic. That is not me saying this is all a lot of nothing but right now it is everything and I find that ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, sadj said:

My mate is a nurse at ARI and directly involved with the corona testing and ward/s? there. She was in an awful mood the other night and her words were “i dont give a **** about free cake and coffee , I just want adequate ****ing PPE”

Must be frightening enough, never mind going in without the right gear. These people are absolute heros

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Explains the last minute COBRA meeting then. 

:biglaugh:

They'll have had a Deliveroo with steak bakes and vegan sausage rolls.

I saw a queue stretching out of a McDonald's in central London this afternoon. About 2pm, so not a lunchtime rush. I suspect it was folk desperate to get their last fix of a Big Mac for who knows how long.

Nicholas Brody
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

What will a full lockdown actually look like here? Only a certain amount of people allowed in supermarkets at a time etc? 

Quite a few places I saw today were limiting it to three people at a time.

Nicholas Brody
Just now, I P Knightley said:

:biglaugh:

They'll have had a Deliveroo with steak bakes and vegan sausage rolls.

I saw a queue stretching out of a McDonald's in central London this afternoon. About 2pm, so not a lunchtime rush. I suspect it was folk desperate to get their last fix of a Big Mac for who knows how long.

That's quite a sad existence.

Spoiler

I very nearly ordered a McDonald's breakfast this morning :levein2:

Boston Jambo

Massachusetts just issued a stay at home order. 

All non essential businesses close as of tomorrow.

The  following are deemed essential

Grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, healthcare facilities, virus testing labs, gas stations, liquor stores, public transit, restaurants that offer takeout and delivery, police departments, and other essential operations will remain open while the advisory is in effect.

I've been at home for nearly two weeks now and it's starting to get old already.

2 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

Grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, healthcare facilities, virus testing labs, gas stations, liquor stores, public transit, restaurants that offer takeout and delivery, police departments, and other essential operations will remain open while the advisory is in effect.

I've been at home for nearly two weeks now and it's starting to get old already.

Says far too much about humans...We've really not moved on much from when Roman Emperors used to regard bread and circuses as key to keeping the mob from rioting...

5 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

Liquor stores?

Essential?  :vrface:

AlphonseCapone
25 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Thanks for this. Remind me what your prediction is working off if you don't mind?

It simply looks at the average change in rates per pop in Italy and UK over 4 day period and applies the average of that to the UK population to calculate a number of deaths. 

Brighton Jambo
12 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

We've had plenty of time to organise but we've dithered due to the poor judgement of following herd immunity IMO

Eg of dithering, Hancock on TV pleading for manufacturing to help with ventilators is just one. This should have been done on the Qt weeks ago, they knew their numbers. 

No I don’t believe thats true, no country ‘knew the numbers’ they all hoped they could contain it so it didn’t reach this stage.  Then when they couldn’t it has escalated faster than any of them could have anticipated.  We are only two weeks behind Italy, not two months.

we will just have to agree to look at this differently,, due to government intervention we are now seeing potential ventilator production ramping up to over 1000 a day, they have secured thousands more from existing suppliers and the private sector.  Will it be enough or quick enough who knows but they have made huge strides in a week.  Some people will criticise this government for everything whereas I want to take a more balanced view.  Some things wrong and some things right. 

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Thats a poor comparison to make. A fairer one would be if people were calling it the Ch*nky Virus. Which would be racist. But they are not.

I think you missed the point, Hughesie. It doesn't matter whether the word itself is in our canon of racist terms; it's about how we justify saying something that is unnecessary and deemed by many to be racially motivated.

I was saying that Trump has coined the phrase specifically to annoy the Chinese - he said so: it's retaliation for them saying something about a US military person. He is using the term to upset people of another race. People linked to that race (Americans of Chinese descent) are getting set upon. 

It's easy to not say and by deciding not to use COVID or coronavirus, people are making a point. So what's that point if it's not racist?

7 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

That's quite a sad existence.

Hide contents

I very nearly ordered a McDonald's breakfast this morning :levein2:

Can't remember how to hide text but I'll admit to the same. Going past the same McDonald's that had queues later, I thought it could be my last Sausage & Egg McMuffin for some time. But given that I'd cycled into town and I may not get such exercise for weeks to come, I thought better of it. 

23 minutes ago, sadj said:

My mate is a nurse at ARI and directly involved with the corona testing and ward/s? there. She was in an awful mood the other night and her words were “i dont give a **** about free cake and coffee , I just want adequate ****ing PPE”

My Mrs was the same. We apparently sold quite a lot to Taiwan recently hence the shortage - gain I don't know how true this is, just my NHS working partner was told this

If you assume the desired result is ***** not going around + non essential places closing + they will eventually act... why not just ****ing act and eliminate the ****ing around?

We were mobbed again today.   2-3 times a normal Monday in March.    Most of it non essential shite.   The boss is seeing £££ coming in but knows a closure is coming.   I'm dealing with 50 people a day,   most of which have no clue or inclination to keep their distance.     They've been told not to go around unless essential but don't care,  or don't think it applies to them.

The governments are treating people as sensible,  responsible people.    Intelligent.     They're giving people more credit for intelligence than they ever do in election campaigns.

Edited by Victorian

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

No I don’t believe thats true, no country ‘knew the numbers’ they all hoped they could contain it so it didn’t reach this stage.  Then when they couldn’t it has escalated faster than any of them could have anticipated.  We are only two weeks behind Italy, not two months.

we will just have to agree to look at this differently,, due to government intervention we are now seeing potential ventilator production ramping up to over 1000 a day, they have secured thousands more from existing suppliers and the private sector.  Will it be enough or quick enough who knows but they have made huge strides in a week.  Some people will criticise this government for everything whereas I want to take a more balanced view.  Some things wrong and some things right. 

Only 2 weeks?!

That's loads of time, relative. 

Anyway we'll agree to disagree mate.

Not looking or wanting to get into a prolonged discussion.

I hope you are right and we haven't missed the boat..

Have to go and collect my wife..

Hope you and nearest and dearest are all well.

What's happened in Italy really shook me.. Such a horrendous loss of life..

Take care mate 👍

scottishguy
55 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Won't be so happy when they get to the pub...

What pub? They are all closed and they aren't old enough to get in anyway lol.

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

The lights all went out in Massachusetts?

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

If you assume the desire result is ***** not going around + non essential places closing + they will eventually act... why not just ****ing act and eliminate the ****ing around?

We were mobbed again today.   2-3 times a normal Monday in March.    Most of it non essential shite.   The boss is seeing £££ coming in but knows a closure is coming.   I'm dealing with 50 people a day,   most of which have no clue or inclination to keep their distance.     They've been told not to go around unless essential but don't care,  or don't think it applies to them.

The governments are treating people as sensible,  responsible people.    Intelligent.     They're giving people more credit for intelligence than they ever do in election campaigns.

What line are you in Victorian? 

I saw a customer approaching a member of staff at the bank earlier who had no idea of 2 metres. The poor staff member was backing away politely and she kept nudging forward. I said what he was too polite to say, telling her to back off. I trust you have a bit more strength of character to tell folk that you can hear them from 3 paces away. 

1 minute ago, scottishguy said:

What pub? They are all closed and they aren't old enough to get in anyway lol.

And that was his point.  

Just now, I P Knightley said:

The lights all went out in Massachusetts?

What line are you in Victorian? 

I saw a customer approaching a member of staff at the bank earlier who had no idea of 2 metres. The poor staff member was backing away politely and she kept nudging forward. I said what he was too polite to say, telling her to back off. I trust you have a bit more strength of character to tell folk that you can hear them from 3 paces away. 

Trade supplies + retail.  Non essential business,  yet mobbed out again with morons.    The boss is keeping well out of the way of the customers... and the phones for that matter.    *****.

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Slight chance that the situation in Italy has peaked and on the way down? 

That's what I'm hoping for.  They introduced the lock down of Northern Italy on 9 March then extended it to the whole country on 13 March. 

We are now 14 and 10 days from those events, so if the lock down was successful in reducing contagion, then now is the point when we should be starting to see the upward trend in new cases reducing, and starting to flatten the curve.

The death rate may continue at a fairly high rate because of all the new cases in the system over the last fortnight, but there may be a chink of light that the tide is turning.

It's only two days in the right direction, but let's hope that there is a third and a fourth.

I believe one of the main reasons they are reluctant to go to full lockdown is that they are well aware they don’t have the police numbers to implement it.

Police numbers have been run down over the past 10 years, and there are also a significant number off sick with the virus.

So, is Boris brave enough to put the army on the streets ?

Because that will be required.

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

See italian numbers are down again.

Still 601 deaths though, but yes, maybe just maybe beginning to start to come down.

It was on day 12 that the figures started to decline in China.

I think in Italy it's day 14, 15 or 16.

Hopefully they have turned the corner, so to speak.

Should the queen maybe be addressing the nation? She is the head of state after all. If the message isn’t getting through to some people, especially older folk, and especially in England might listen to her over the PM.

Just now, Sirudi said:

I believe one of the main reasons they are reluctant to go to full lockdown is that they are well aware they don’t have the police numbers to implement it.

Police numbers have been run down over the past 10 years, and there are also a significant number off sick with the virus.

Yes that was my theory all along and yes,   I think the army will be needed.    

Still think this could be regional in it's first instance.    Maybe they think a limited lockdown will get the message to others elsewhere.   But it will not.

Nicholas Brody
4 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

They will definitely need the armed forces help. 

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

602 deaths in Italy again. Jeez 

As I pointed out yesterday. Their critical list was at 3000 and rising.

Not seen today's figure yet.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I can barely even accept the 'beginning'.  It is all hyped up to me.  Due to the demands of the public and global social media we have had fear instilled into us and are on lockdown.  300,000 people die everyday, this is a granular in comparison.  As previously said, there are more people live in my street than the entire recorded cases in Scotland alone.  We live in a world of group think and are being outlived and taken over by snowflake generations.

You have a point. You often do despite the kneejerk reaction to your username.

If the news of deaths today was being reported as "Of the 1700 people dying in the UK today 55 were victims of Coronavirus"  it would be less scary and more sober and arguably a better representation of the facts. Even more so might be replacing "victims of Coronavirus" with "as a result of complications to existing illnesses as a result of Coronavirus".

But the whole point is to alarm people into changing their behaviour. And isn't there some inconsistency in your deriding the "Snowflakes" when in fact they seem in this case to have been pretty resistant to being scared into changing their behaviour.

I P Knightley
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hancock.   Stop or we'll have to take more measures.

Well... just put the measures in.    

Or, at the very least, say what those measures would be. Paint the picture so that the harder of thinking get the kick up the bahookie they need. 

Mrs Knightley just back from walking the dog in the park where she saw a classmate of Knightley Minor walking shoulder-to-shoulder with another kid. She's fuming about the irresponsibility of the parents; the mother being in one of the higher risk categories if she were to get it. Selfish, stupid and lazy. 

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

As I pointed out yesterday. Their critical list was at 3000 and rising.

Not seen today's figure yet.

3204 now.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Should the queen maybe be addressing the nation? She is the head of state after all. If the message isn’t getting through to some people, especially older folk, and especially in England might listen to her over the PM.

I thought she did just the other day.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic