Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, ri Alban said:

Can I hold you to it? 

Banned from taking us all to cleaners on the 'Where is it/this' thread. Deal?

:rofl:You drive a very hard bargain, ri.

Let's just see how it pans out. You're going for 18 months (October next year then?), I'm going for late October this year. Closest gets a virtual toilet roll.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Boris's latest batshit, contradictory pish:

"please stay at home, but feel free to go down the park"

Exactly. "Of course I want you all to be able to go out and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. But just not all of you at the same time. And only if you all walk 2 meters apart.

Just now, Cade said:

"please stay at home, but feel free to go down the park"

Listen Cade, you know how I feel about Boris and Tories. But FFS, give the man a chance. He's dammed if he does and doesn't by many. 

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

"please stay at home, but feel free to go down the park, just not in large numbers, and we'll monitor the situation and close the parks if we need to"

Ignoring all the pictures of public spaces being absolutely feckin rammed.

It's obvious what his intentions are but he needs to word it better. Everyone should get out for a walk but need to have a think about it and use a bit of common sense

The Internet
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

281 today so behind them by a lot but its a silly comparison. 

It is. But if we're setting Italy as worse case scenario then it's worth keeping an eye on.

Boris saying they are bringing in measures at the right time relating to the spread of the virus.

But not sure how they can know when there is so little testing. 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:rofl:You drive a very hard bargain, ri.

Let's just see how it pans out. You're going for 18 months (October next year then?), I'm going for late October this year. Closest gets a virtual toilet roll.

Donate mine to the arse wiping society, as I'll be dead from cider poisoning. :thumb:

Oh and I just noticed, No deal :rofl:Brilliant!

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They are already testing people on them mate. 

Yup, they're developing this vaccine in record time so far, but human trials necessarily take a long time so that we're sure that there will be no unwelcome medium-  or long-term side-effects. Everything is risk-reward though so that will eventually determine when the vaccine is released.

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

"please stay at home, but feel free to go down the park, just not in large numbers, and we'll monitor the situation and close the parks if we need to"

We need the country to realise for themselves rather than force things. This could last a long while and will be difficult to manage and maintain. Its taking longer to sink in with some people.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Donate mine to the arse wiping society, as I'll be dead from cider poisoning. :thumb:

:toasting:

The incubation period + the fairly slow deterioration of symptoms + predicted rate of asymptomatic cases has a huge bearing on why this is so difficult to manage.     But virtually zero time is given to get that out to people.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

PM: Further measures could include those seen elsewhere

Asked what the "further measures" relating to social distancing are and when they might be implemented, Mr Johnson says people "do not need to use their imagination to see where the government may have to go".

He mentions the kind of measures seen elsewhere. In Europe, governments have implemented lockdowns and restrictions on movement.

"I don't want to do that, I have tried to explain the public health benefits [from] the sense that you can go out," Mr Johnson says. He says the ability to go out can only be preserved if people act responsibly.

"If we can't do that I am afraid we are going to need to bring forward tougher measures."

that does sound like follow the guidance or an enforced lockdown will happen

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yup, they're developing this vaccine in record time so far, but human trials necessarily take a long time so that we're sure that there will be no unwelcome medium-  or long-term side-effects. Everything is risk-reward though so that will eventually determine when the vaccine is released.

Haven't heard anyone credible saying less than 18 months for a vaccine to be ready.

kingantti1874

Sorry of the now 13,900 new case in the USA so far reported today .

12,500 are in New York .. that is a huge problem..

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It is. But if we're setting Italy as worse case scenario then it's worth keeping an eye on.

So many social differences its hard to compare countries. Look at germany who seem to have much fewer deaths for unknown reasons to date.

Just not sure people should get to bothered where we compare to other countries.

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

new york reckon they will run out of supplies within a week

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Is that not a known risk of being self-employed, that you don't really have much of a safety net? One of the guys on my project at work is self employed and gets about twice as much per day as I do but of course doesn't have the pension, sick pay and security etc.

I've often considered it but when I speak to those doing it they've generally advised against it for those reasons.

Totally agree though that society needs to change in that respect, I think any job that has self employed people should be forced to have the option for them to become an employee after, say, 6 months.

Some people don't want to be employed. I'm a self-employed consultant. I prefer not to have someone telling me what to do and when to work. I don't need sick pay as I seldom get sick and don't believe it is a great benefit to me. Every holiday I go on feels as if it costs 3 times as much as for an employee because of the opportunity cost - I live with that.  The Govt introduced IR35 because they don't understand that some people just do not want the protections of employment law...They want companies to do all the tax-collecting on their behalf via PAYE. They don't appreciate that do my Corporation Tax calc and pay the tax 9 months before I need to (Partly because interest rates are so low admittedly)

I've lost 2/3 clients in the last month. The last has said he will continue to use me 1-2 weeks per month, but I've have no work for 2 weeks. I'm not complaining though as I've always been a good saver and my mortgage finishes in 2 months, 12 1/2 years early...My pension is screwed though! Haha

I don't know what the Govt may or may not do for me, but I know that there are people in a worse situation than I am. I could've taken a job in a supermarket but I decided to leave those for the people from the hospitality and tourism industry...I'd vounteer for the NHS but I have had a slight but persistent cough for about 6 months so I doubt they'd want me. My wife is a nurse, so Covid is coming my way anyway.

For the moment I just go for walks in the Pentlands and act as the personal shopper for my elderly parents. 

Just now, redjambo said:

:toasting:

:olly:

I must say, JKB is full of good people, a bit mental, but I'd go on a pub crawl with most. If King Antti promises not to chastise us all night. :D

Just now, Barack said:

By the end of the week is my guess. Folk are too ****ing selfish and thick.

i think earlier, wednesday would be my guess

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Haven't heard anyone credible saying less than 18 months for a vaccine to be ready.

How about one of the people who are heading the efforts to produce the vaccine? Is she credible enough for you?

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/scots-scientist-says-one-million-coronavirus-vaccines-will-be-available-end-year-2498508

Trapper John McIntyre
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Hard Left Scottish nat complaining because a 'far right' Tory government is not being far right/authoritarian enough.

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Annoys me more than anything that what little there is left to do..i.e going out for a run, a walk in the park ect might be shut down because arseholes can't listen to what they are ****ing told. People told "don't panick buy" but they raid the shelves instead. 

This has proven to me that society...in general are full of complete and utter helmets who deserve to get Ill. 

If folk would just ****ing listen we wouldn't be locked up for so long. 

This in a nutshell, complete and utter arseholes around, we've got Darwinism to hope for.

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

New York is such a massive metropolitan population that must be worrying for the US. I was thinking last night of the chaos of it gets a hold in on of the massive cities in Africa or India where shantytowns and poor sanitation are an issue. 

The messaging is as weak as pish.

Don't go out for unnecessary reasons.

Ignored.

You really need to heed the previous advice.

Ignored.

We could force you to do it but we don't want to.

(Guess what)

Just now, Barack said:

Thats the problem there’s an I’m alright jack so **** everyone else mentality. The fact pubs have stayed open and folk are going to them says it all. 

What an opportunity this is for folk to get fit and healthy simply by going outside but staying 2 metres away from others... I mean how difficult is that to understand!

2 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Hard Left Scottish nat complaining because a 'far right' Tory government is not being far right/authoritarian enough.

Ignore this please.  Just ignore and move on.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Similar sort of situation to London. 

Do people think the make up of Scotland will help or hinder against the fight against this thing. London, NY etc... Highly populated by square mile, compared to our low population per square mile.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Out of interest how can you even say that?

You perhaps have memories I don't. When was the last time we had this level of societal  and economic disruption on a global scale?

With the possibility of many thousands and perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe even millions of deaths resulting.

I can remember absolutely nothing like this in my lifetime and i'm 59. This is a historic event. Well to most it is but apparently not you?

There have been bigger global health scares than this in the past. To call this an unparalleled catastrophe is pretty laughable. 

Where are you getting the figures of millions dead? This is what social media has become, people plucking figures out the air and trying to whip the less intelligent into a frenzy. 

It depends what you mean by a historic event. I would agree the level of panic is fairly historic but the actual event itself not so much. 

manaliveits105

If you go out follow isolation rules - if necessary further restrictions will be imposed - seems straightforward

impressive from Boris and the team again 

Trapper John McIntyre
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Ignore this please.  Just ignore and move on.

Where did you get your doctorate in virology?

Mac_fae_Gillie
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Human trails can be speeded up. Italy for example is on a bad road using a 1000people(volunteers) most at risk over the next month doesn't really hurt. Just be clutching at straws in reality for many but the results could save 100k down the line.

4 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

It does seem that Boris wants to avoid that.

We'll find out later how many died from not stopping everything. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How about one of the people who are heading the efforts to produce the vaccine? Is she credible enough for you?

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/scots-scientist-says-one-million-coronavirus-vaccines-will-be-available-end-year-2498508

For how many, is more my thinking. How do we vaccinate Billions?

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The incubation period + the fairly slow deterioration of symptoms + predicted rate of asymptomatic cases has a huge bearing on why this is so difficult to manage.     But virtually zero time is given to get that out to people.

Correct. 

We need to much much firmer with the restrictions, this wishey washey pleading is ballocks just enforce it and enforce hard. Do we really want a massive death toll? Rhetorical question.

Lockdown and lockdown now. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The messaging is as weak as pish.

Don't go out for unnecessary reasons.

Ignored.

You really need to heed the previous advice.

Ignored.

We could force you to do it but we don't want to.

(Guess what)

Overall it does seem they want to introduce it all gradually. To help people get used to it. To bring people along. 

They think that's the best approach.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How many lives is a vaccine in December going to save before its available?

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Overall it does seem they want to introduce it all gradually. To help people get used to it. To bring people along. 

They think that's the best approach.

I said earlier that there's a reasonable reason to explain why they aren't going for full lockdown.    That they know they can't police it.    If you assume this is true,   the evidence towards it fits right in.

joondalupjambo
13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Might be sooner depending on how things go after Boris's plea in the last few minutes.  I am thinking like you, the end of the week but would not be surprised if it was Wednesday.

Oh and you can leave out the selfish bit, do not think you need it because the last bit is the bottom line, thick as thick can be.

Edited by joondalupjambo

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

We need to much much firmer with the restrictions, this wishey washey pleading is ballocks just enforce it and enforce hard. Do we really want a massive death toll? Rhetorical question.

Lockdown and lockdown now. 

How long do we quarantine for, and as soon as we re-emerge, does the Coronavirus say, 'Well hello'

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

281 today so behind them by a lot but its a silly comparison. 

So why have so many been making the comparison? I think it is a useful comparison. Whatever direction it shows.

For how many, is more my thinking. How do we vaccinate Billions?

You can guarantee that as soon as a working vaccine is developed, the "recipe" for that vaccine won't remain with the lab that developed it (although the lab will no doubt gain a handsome profit from it). It will be produced by every lab worldwide and resources will be diverted to ensure that is so. Vaccination will also be prioritized for those at risk - it doesn't all need to be done at once.

Just now, ri Alban said:

How long do we quarantine for, and as soon as we re-emerge, does the Coronavirus say, 'Well hello'

You lockdown to inject delay.   Go read the contain-delay-research-mitigate playbook.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

How do we vaccinate Billions?

Very quickly. That’s not a flippant answer by the but a very serious one. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

You can guarantee that as soon as a working vaccine is developed, the "recipe" for that vaccine won't remain with the lab that developed it (although the lab will no doubt gain a handsome profit from it). It will be produced by every lab worldwide and resources will be diverted to ensure that is so. Vaccination will also be prioritized for those at risk - it doesn't all need to be done at once.

Depends on who develops it first. The Taliban might tell us all to :bolt:

Edited by ri Alban

highlandjambo3
7 hours ago, Homme said:

Tesco Bathgate? 

My partner thought we would go for the NHS hour so we went down with her I'd but the queue was round the car park and out the main entrance. Immediate about turn. 

Managed to pick up what we need elsewhere and get our grandparents provisions too. 

Are you sure this was not the vulture queue?

I said to my wife (who works for the NHS) as she was going to go to Morrison’s this morning that she should be aware there is likely to be a vulture queue waiting to go in and strip the shelves as soon as the NHS hour was done and, she should ignore that queue and walk up to the main entrance....... not saying you are wrong but, I would not imagine there were dozens of NHS staff waiting in a queue (unless they were buying their own ppe 😀)

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Very quickly. That’s not a flippant answer by the but a very serious one. 

:thumbsup: Hopefully, Danny, hopefully.

multi billion pound question.
My answer is when the infection rate drops off and there is a credible cure and a vaccine. The Spanish have just extended their lockdown by another 14 days and are very ruthless enforcing it. It can be done. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic