Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Brighton Jambo
26 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

There is no requirement for a National lockdown in Scotland. The Highlands and Islands do not deserve or merit these restrictions. Neither do places in Borders, North Berwick and other areas where infections are miniscule. 

It is a sad day when governments are taking easiest cop out action if they use one size solution.

This is where the SG government strategy has got it wrong.  

They went down the very cautious route and have either eased restrictions more slowly or introduced them more quickly than most of the UK.  The reality is despite that we are not materially better off for it and yet the level of frustration and fatigue within the Scottish population is really high.  The language from Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t help, she almost never gives any hope to people and it’s relentlessly negative as this reinforces the justification of her overall strategy.

To be fair I don’t think many countries have got it right so I recognise it’s a difficult task but the SG strategy has been overly punitive without the tangible results to justify it.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

June for me.  It's based on a rate of a million vaccinations per week which wont happen.  That's a rough per capita rate of 1,000 being done in Edinburgh every day.  Can't see it.

Edited by Victorian

After 96 hours, the flu jab I received last Sunday has decided to pick-a-fight (I hope it's that). Adverse reactions if any, were meant to show in the first 48. I'm now experiencing mild flu like symptoms, not getting any worse since yesterday morning.

Sorry, off topic slightly but has anyone else gone through this?

Edited by OBE

Q'uell surprise Nicola is skivving today  from the briefing . It wouldn't have anything to do with the drugs scandal from yesterday Or maybe im just too cynical 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

After 96 hours, the flu jab I received last Sunday has decided to pick-a-fight (I hope it's that). Adverse reactions if any, were meant to show in the first 48. I'm now experiencing mild flu like symptoms, not getting any worse since yesterday morning.

Sorry, off topic slightly but has anyone else gone through this?

If it's 4 days after your jab, I doubt it's anything to do with that.

There seems to be loads of colds kicking about just now, just about everyone I know has had one

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Q'uell surprise Nicola is skivving today  from the briefing . It wouldn't have anything to do with the drugs scandal from yesterday Or maybe im just too cynical 

Where the feck did they pull that Jeane Freeman from, Stratties :lol:

51 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The language from Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t help, she almost never gives any hope to people and it’s relentlessly negative as this reinforces the justification of her overall strategy.

I totally agree with this. This has been my main criticism. Its never ending doom and gloom. Even when she has good news to give , there is always the kick in the baws at the end of it.  Even though I cant stand BJ he is an eternal optimist. buffoon. Not thats its a competition. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Normally only does Monday and Wednesday briefings, there isn’t any on Tuesday or Thursday due to being in Holyrood

Oh well i hardly watch them now so wouldn't know that. Thanks anyway.  

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

LOL ive said that loads of times about her she looks like a wee heavy drinker from " Dickens" or " stratties" she really does. :) 

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If it's 4 days after your jab, I doubt it's anything to do with that.

There seems to be loads of colds kicking about just now, just about everyone I know has had one

The common cold will not be outdone eh!

Nucky Thompson

Scotland seem to be bucking the trend of the rest of the UK.

4.2% positivity, it seems to have dropped down again over the last few days. Funnily enough, just after their last tier review :whistling:

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Between her and the drugs guy yesterday we are all in safe hands 🙈

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh well i hardly watch them now so wouldn't know that. Thanks anyway.  

Oh well! Really? You have a baseless attack on someone, then dismiss your attack with being pig ignorant. Then go on to join in on another attack on someone else because you think she's an alky. Is it women in general you hate or is it the bleach fumes that have melted your brain. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, the general said:

Thats why I used these 2 as examples ....folk packed together at rails touching everything and a fair few not wearing masks.

Agree small indie shops deserve custom

👍

Primark was a health hazard before covid, look at someone the wrong way in that place and your picking up your teeth.

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Oh well! Really? You have a baseless attack on someone, then dismiss your attack with being pig ignorant. Then go on to join in on another attack on someone else because you think she's an alky. Is it women in general you hate or is it the bleach fumes that have melted your brain. 

No it wasnt a baseless attack it was a question wondering were wee Nicky was today as she more than often takes certain stage at these briefings which is generally acknowledged. I dont hate women. Some people i know are women amazingly.  I   Anyway direct your anger to Nucky he started it first...booo hoooo...are u man enough though ?  There are no longer bleach fumes in my house apart from in the bog 

Edited by JamesM48

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Adolfa does ra breefin' every day boooo.  Afolfa avoiding ra breefin' boooo.

Pathetic. :( Shes at it. 

CavySlaveJambo
49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

California doctor calls lockdowns ‘failure of imagination,’ as state becomes epicenter of outbreak | Fox News

Easy to dismiss given the source, but fair points made regarding the antiquated nature of lockdowns.

Ah yes that will be the same California Stay-at-Home order that allows parts of Disney’s California Adventure and Downtown Disney remain open.  

Also California needs that stay-at-home order because ICU’s are at capacity in several counties.  (https://covidactnow.org/us/california-ca?s=1453413 - scroll down to the counties) 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Ah yes that will be the same California Stay-at-Home order that allows parts of Disney’s California Adventure and Downtown Disney remain open.  

Also California needs that stay-at-home order because ICU’s are at capacity in several counties.  (https://covidactnow.org/us/california-ca?s=1453413 - scroll down to the counties) 

Good to see you know where California is

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Pathetic. :( Shes at it. 

The criticism of Sturgeon really gets to him.

You can tell with the endless, lame, attempts at sarcasm 

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know red rag to a bull and some others too.  Talk about being blind sided.  

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Is there any way of donating 'your' vaccine to countries who don't have enough to vaccinate the vulnerable?

Have the companies not said they’re giving it to them for nothing, so there should be enough for everyone.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I know red rag to a bull and some others too.  Talk about being blind sided.  

I’ve done it myself but in general we need to move on from personalised attacks, on people’s appearance especially. There is enough things to criticise folk about without calling them names, legitimate concerns can be lost in amongst it all.  I’ve seen it from every side and as I say I’ve done it many times. 

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Have the companies not said they’re giving it to them for nothing, so there should be enough for everyone.

I don't think so, no. Oxford are offering it at cost price I think, but the others aren't.

It's not just cost though, it's quantity. The developed nations have bought up far more than they need and as such even allowing for it being free there isn't likely to be any for many of the poorer countries until at least 2022.

3 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Mid March for me, which is around about a week or two later then I'd been expecting it anyway, so it might be accurate ish for some folks.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This is where the SG government strategy has got it wrong.  

They went down the very cautious route and have either eased restrictions more slowly or introduced them more quickly than most of the UK.  The reality is despite that we are not materially better off for it and yet the level of frustration and fatigue within the Scottish population is really high.  The language from Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t help, she almost never gives any hope to people and it’s relentlessly negative as this reinforces the justification of her overall strategy.

To be fair I don’t think many countries have got it right so I recognise it’s a difficult task but the SG strategy has been overly punitive without the tangible results to justify it.  

To be fair, there is no way having far fewer deaths per capita than the rest of Britain can be anything other than an endorsement of SG policies.

The sudden easing of restrictions in Wales has resulted in an explosion of new cases. In pandemics caution is good.

The language from NS helps a great deal as she and the government continue to enjoy widespread support for the current strategy. People are frustrated but not with the gov. The polls show this. The language and level of explanation offered to the Scottish people helps in difficult times as does knowledge that the policies employed will primarily be focused on health. 

Policy and implementation are such that there is no meaningful attempt by the opposition to oppose the government on this.

To say that we are not materially better off is to ignore the value of the lives saved by the SG approach.

Scottish numbers: 18 December 2020

Summary

• 744 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-114]
  • 36 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+6]
  • 50 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 1,032 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+20]
  • 20,702 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 4.2% of these were positive [-1.750; -0.2%]

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The language from NS helps a great deal as she and the government continue to enjoy widespread support for the current strategy. People are frustrated but not with the gov. The polls show this. The language and level of explanation offered to the Scottish people helps in difficult times as does knowledge that the policies employed will primarily be focused on health. 

Pretty much everyone I know is frustrated with the Scottish government.

53 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Oh the pain is strong in that one if you dare to stray from the party line. Incandescent rage that the repeated Hitler gags just can’t hide. 

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Pretty much everyone I know is frustrated with the Covid. 

Frustrated ? What laid back circles you must live in Brian. Frustrated doesn’t touch the sides how people feel about Covid. 

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

But, but, what about the polls Guv

Feck knows what questions they are asking, or to whom.

They must be conducting the polls in Glasgow south 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Pretty much everyone I know is frustrated with the Covid. 

The two are not mutually exclusive, so what's your point?

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

But, but, what about the polls Guv

Feck knows what questions they are asking, or to whom.

They must be conducting the polls in Glasgow south 

Or in Doug's case, Moscow.

Per-100,000 case rates round the boards:

Scotland 14 [-2].

Tayside 21 [+13], Borders 19 [+9], Lothian 17 [+1], Grampian 16 [-2], Greater Glasgow 15 [-4], Ayrshire 14 [-3], Fife 11 [-8], Lanarkshire 10 [-9].

All the others: less than 10.

15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's what they tell you. It's just to keep you happy and shut you up. The polls show different.

And he’s not praying!
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Adolfa does ra breefin' every day boooo.  Afolfa avoiding ra breefin' boooo.

Power hungry, skiving bitch, imo.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Is there any way of donating 'your' vaccine to countries who don't have enough to vaccinate the vulnerable?

I thought there was a scheme to ensure these countries got their supply?

This is a global problem which needs a global solution.

Footballfirst

Edinburgh is continuing to go in the wrong direction with a 7 day/100k rate up to 117.5 (week to 15/12).

Edinburgh's number of positive tests with a specimen date of 15/12 was 125, which is the highest since the student led spike in early October.

The worst affected neighburhoods are Broomhouse and Niddrie with rates of 470 and 442 respectively.

Edited by Footballfirst

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54973255  It seems you are operating in a small bubble of badly informed malcontents. Who knew?

So SNP, relying on polls. Out of date ones at that

Did the polls not say that Scotland would vote for independence in 2014?

How did that turn out again :lol:

Watching the BBC lunchtime news was really starting to send me into a rage.

They were absolutely salivating over the prospects of a full national lockdown.

They kept referring to January as a bad flu month while completing disregarding the fact 90% of people in offices are working from home and considerably less people will be using public transport.

16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I thought there was a scheme to ensure these countries got their supply?

This is a global problem which needs a global solution.

There is, the Covax scheme but currently they are concerned about access to vaccinations and concerns around it not happening until as late as 2024.

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Edinburgh is continuing to go in the wrong direction with a 7 day/100k rate up to 117.5 (week to 15/12).

Edinburgh's number of positive tests with a specimen date of 15/12 was 125, which is the highest since the student led spike in early October.

The worst affected neighburhoods are Broomhouse and Niddrie with rates of 470 and 442 respectively.

These numbers are still not helpful in understanding the cause of the problem.

Without understanding the cause you can't implement a solution.

Its the mushroom syndrome.  We are being deliberately kept in the dark while the government shovels shit over us.

Nucky Thompson
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

More testing, finding more positive cases will push the rate up.

Positivity percentage of tests carried out is only slightly higher 

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

These numbers are still not helpful in understanding the cause of the problem.

Without understanding the cause you can't implement a solution.

Its the mushroom syndrome.  We are being deliberately kept in the dark while the government shovels shit over us.

Does that mean the governments of the rest of the UK, Germany Netherlands, Italy, Czech Rep etc., are doing likewise.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic