Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It would be nice if that was getting reported by the SG in order to make sense of their meaningless statistics.

The SG only report things that suit them 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

But hospitality has been shut for 3 months and numbers are still increasing, so what is causing the rise?  Do we close all these businesses now and make the staff redundant if she has no intention of lowering the tier?

I asked him that too

25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

probably

"probably" isnt exactly evidence

Edited by JamesM48

20 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Outbreaks in halls, then mass testing at Universities over the last 2 weeks has caused the rise

Apparently the students aren’t getting the pcr? Tests so the test numbers aren’t included wether or not to positive cases are I don’t know 

Howdy Doody Jambo
29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There is talk of the North east of England dropping down to England's tier2 tomorrow.

Pubs in Berwick open all day if they can sell you a scotch egg with your pint :whistling:

There's a new premier inn just opened. 

£29 a night rooms. Might be tempted for Sunday

It will soon be £290 a night next week, sounds a bargain for A pint and freedom 

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Regards drug policy it wasn’t Westminster who have cut around 40 million in last few years from the drug budget and that was Scottish government so nothing to do with Westminster. 

The rules scotland cant change apply to the rest of the uk and their numbers are much much lower than ours. Scotland has developed powers that should be able to deal with this but they haven’t done a very good job at all 

2.Drugs policy is an issue on which the UK and Scottish Governments take divergent approaches. The UK Government treats problem drug use primarily as a criminal justice matter, whereas the Scottish Government believes it should be addressed as a health issue.3 This difference in approach has caused disagreements between the two governments, most notably with the Home Office blocking an application for a safe consumption facility in Glasgow, as criminal justice sanctions for drugs is a policy area currently reserved to Westminster. This led to calls from some for drugs laws to be devolved to Holyrood, to enable the Scottish Government to take all measures it deems necessary to address Scotland’s drug crisis. Others argued that, as health and justice are devolved matters, the Scottish Government already has the main powers necessary to address problem drug use.

but independence though ay !

CavySlaveJambo
5 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Apparently the students aren’t getting the pcr? Tests so the test numbers aren’t included wether or not to positive cases are I don’t know 

Students are getting PCR tests if the lateral flow tests where positive

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

36 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There is talk of the North east of England dropping down to England's tier2 tomorrow.

Pubs in Berwick open all day if they can sell you a scotch egg with your pint :whistling:

There's a new premier inn just opened. 

£29 a night rooms. Might be tempted for Sunday

Just checked their site coming in at £23.50 double room.  Bargain really.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

Students are getting PCR tests if the lateral flow tests where positive

So might targeted PCR tests go a way to explaining the increasing number of positive cases as a percentage of those tested?

:interehjrling:

21 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

2.Drugs policy is an issue on which the UK and Scottish Governments take divergent approaches. The UK Government treats problem drug use primarily as a criminal justice matter, whereas the Scottish Government believes it should be addressed as a health issue.3 This difference in approach has caused disagreements between the two governments, most notably with the Home Office blocking an application for a safe consumption facility in Glasgow, as criminal justice sanctions for drugs is a policy area currently reserved to Westminster. This led to calls from some for drugs laws to be devolved to Holyrood, to enable the Scottish Government to take all measures it deems necessary to address Scotland’s drug crisis. Others argued that, as health and justice are devolved matters, the Scottish Government already has the main powers necessary to address problem drug use.

but independence though ay !

Scotland at the top of the league whereas Portugal who decriminalized drug use in 2001 at the bottom. 

EpRusnYXcAQc3Qm.jpeg

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Scotland at the top of the league whereas Portugal who decriminalized drug use in 2001 at the bottom. 

EpRusnYXcAQc3Qm.jpeg

The data is from 2018 though 

10 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

What’s all this with people wearing masks but not covering their nose? 

Easily 5-10 people in Tesco hardengreen at lunchtime today. 

Twits😂

I had this discussion with someone yesterday who insisted that her nose didn't need to be covered because the virus can only be exhaled through the mouth.

Mouth breather. ;)

57 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Outbreaks in halls, then mass testing at Universities over the last 2 weeks has caused the rise

What outbreaks in the last 2 weeks? Source? 

35 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Interesting that you see a health emergency as a competition among posters.:vrface:

I see it as a constant fight against misinformation and bullshit. 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

so we should be banning shopping then if its the " likely" culprit

I'm sure non essential shopping would be banned if the cases went high enough. 

Just now, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure non essential shopping would be banned if the cases went high enough. 

No you said " shopping " so that means any shopping obviously

Just now, JamesM48 said:

No you said " shopping " so that means any shopping obviously

This is an obscure line of argument you are trying to go down. 

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

9D52D06F-5EA6-4BEC-96B6-654D5826BDEB.jpeg

About time lower league clubs and non league clubs were allowed fans in

Bonnyrigg v Edinburgh Uni tonight- be nice to get to a football match were social distancing won't be an issue

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Our cases are doing better than the rest of the UK and drug policy is held by Westminster. 

If drug policy is held by Westminster, why are we doing worse than England, Wales and Northern Ireland who presumably are operating under the same policy?

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Great to see the usual melts with egg on their faces, yet again, deflecting by trying to have digs at me. 

You do only seem to comment on this to defend any Nicola Sturgeon decisions. Just my opinion 

Maroon Sailor

Places of worship remain open but cinemas are closed and watching lower tier football outside is not allowed either.

Yeah that makes sense

3 minutes ago, pablo said:

If drug policy is held by Westminster, why are we doing worse than England, Wales and Northern Ireland who presumably are operating under the same policy?

Playing devils advocate but maybe the different approaches from Scotland and the rest of UK may have an impact. Scotland views drug misuse as a social issue whereas the rest of the UK view it as a criminal matter so responses are different. However its clear that the Scottish approach inst working at all.  I dont know what the answer is as its a complex area as all addictions are. 

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

cheers mate, I’ve been using that site quite a lot so I’ll need to dig about a bit more probably focusing too much on the Edinburgh figures 

No problem. I didn't have much time for my last reply, but the 7-day per-100,000 case data is in the "Breakdown by Council area" section with the Detailed switch on, in the column just before "Days Since Last Infection".

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

My son is a student there. He got tested last Tuesday

Student where? There's nothing in the news about any major outbreak at any of the Edinburgh Universities that I can see.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How long does a thread ban last for, any idea?

Dunno.

I had an early morning visit from the KB plod myself today.

:muggy:

12 minutes ago, pablo said:

I don't have an answer for that, but we are, and we are powerless to do anything about it.

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Places of worship remain open but cinemas are closed and watching lower tier football outside is not allowed either.

Yeah that makes sense

Places of worship should be shut down for good. Lie factories.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I don't have an answer for that, but we are, and we are powerless to do anything about it.

Ah I see, accept no responsibility for anything and blame Westminster. And repeat............

Anyway Covid and a some true Scottish ingenuity. 4 weeks in the jails seems a tad harsh.

Radge on a Jet Ski

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

She never gave it for Edinburgh, all she said was that test positivity was also rising, but She gave Aberdeen as going from 3.2% to 6.8%.

Says it all for me

She really is a first class charlatan. Full of rhetoric at the podium but falls short on action and outcomes every time. Redacting reports to remove paragraphs that don't fit her agenda. Has she apologised yet for her downright lie yesterday about Scotland being the first of the UK nations to introduce care home vaccinations?? Repeated another whopper today, claiming "we know the virus spreads in pubs and restaurants ". Do we? Has she any evidence to prove that? It's a lot safer in a well run and sanitised hospitality venue than in one of her NHS hospitals, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes i think most gyms are being responsible from what i have read. Im not advocating closures. Its good for the physical as well as mental. Mine have plummeted due to not going to the gym i feel.  Btw what is " flanter" ? :) 

Do you need a wee home workout to do? Ill easy pm you some calisthenics stuff if itll help your mental wellbeing James

46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

so we should be banning shopping then if its the " likely" culprit

Shopping has to be a culprit. Supermarkets have 💯 been hiding it when staff contract it. Was discussed on here last week. Thats only two peoples knowledge of cases where supermarkets have ignored it.

15 minutes ago, pablo said:

Ah I see, accept no responsibility for anything and blame Westminster. And repeat............

Anyway Covid and a some true Scottish ingenuity. 4 weeks in the jails seems a tad harsh.

Radge on a Jet Ski

Some heid on that lad 😒

Nucky Thompson
28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Student where? There's nothing in the news about any major outbreak at any of the Edinburgh Universities that I can see.

Sorry, Heriot Watt. 

The outbreak was about 2 weeks ago, but it seems to be under control the last couple of days.

They had a mobile testing unit and tested everyone, staff and students

Edited by Nucky Thompson

So there has been a lot of queries about aberdeenshire moving to tier 3. But no such demands for falkirk or the borders despite the cases being higher. Just shows you what a shambles the whole thing is.

10 minutes ago, sadj said:

Do you need a wee home workout to do? Ill easy pm you some calisthenics stuff if itll help your mental wellbeing James

Sure. Thanks 

Nucky Thompson

The devolved nations meet again tomorrow to discuss Christmas.

Robert Peston reckons England, Wales and NI will not change their plans

14 minutes ago, sadj said:

Ooo I missed the sheep joke , do repeat it 😉

Surely being from Aberdeen, you should know them all, no? ;)

Toxteth O'Grady
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The devolved nations meet again tomorrow to discuss Christmas.

Robert Peston reckons England, Wales and NI will not change their plans

Damned if they do and damned if they don’t 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic