Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Alot being hidden from the general public about this disease IMO so to stop wide spread panick and fear. Probably sensible tbh

Something will eventually wipe out a huge chunk of humanity. Neither nature correcting itself  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I like to imagine you wanted to write, bitten, definitely makes it sound more zombie apocalypse like haha. 

But without the specifics I would agree it wasn't the wisest move to let them leave. There are plenty of other contamination points in that particular sitation besides the Italian folk. 

The main problem is people having the virus and transferring it before they are diagnosed. 

How it could spread throughout the world. So its right this is careless. 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Alot being hidden from the general public about this disease IMO so to stop wide spread panick and fear. Probably sensible tbh

Something will eventually wipe out a huge chunk of humanity. Neither nature correcting itself  

I'll be honest I'm not sure it's working. 

6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'll be honest I'm not sure it's working. 

It's not working. If anything, I think people are overreacting to the situation because of social media and the ridiculous terms the news agencies are using.

I reckon it'll be just about done with come the end of March and everything will be back to normal.

AlphonseCapone
13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Can't blame. The sheer panic and lack of basic scientific understanding currently has opened my eyes. See when something global does eventually happen, disease wise or something else, it'll be the ridiculous response of humans that will lead to the worst effects. 

16 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Can't blame. The sheer panic and lack of basic scientific understanding currently has opened my eyes. See when something global does eventually happen, disease wise or something else, it'll be the ridiculous response of humans that will lead to the worst effects. 

The only thing to fear is fear itself, as FDR said, and that's what will lead to the public panic.

22 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

It's not working. If anything, I think people are overreacting to the situation because of social media and the ridiculous terms the news agencies are using.

I reckon it'll be just about done with come the end of March and everything will be back to normal.

24 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

No way this will be over by then it's just starting to take effect now in Europe.

35 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

When you see the response and sheer panic by some people when there is a wee flurry of snow, the clearing of supermarket shelves etc, then is it any wonder that the authorities keep a lot from the general public, mostly for the good of the general public it has to be said.

See these folk with the big masks on and stuff do they have a big drum outside there house that they burn the clothes in before entering cause the droplets can be sneezzed onto them 😂

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

No way this will be over by then it's just starting to take effect now in Europe.

Absolutely, this thing is only just getting started, there are many many months of this to continue.

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m not sure people are over reacting due to social media. The issue to me is more about the reaction of governments etc to the virus. 

I’m struggling to think of a time where cities have been locked down, people have been put into widespread quarantine and being advised not to travel to areas of Europe for reasons other than conflict 

It’s unique times and that understandably makes people ‘nervous’. I don’t think there is all that much panic from joe public, just concern about the unknown. Social media just reflects that is a massively hyperbolic way. 

I’m more concerned to the consequences of this than actually getting the actual virus. The markets have gone mental, there will be a huge economic impact. Potential travel restrictions that we have never known, restrictions on large gatherings, closure of schools and office seem possible and we are already seeing this on a small scale already, 

I hope this comes to a end as quickly and painlessly as possible but it does feel a bit like the start of a movie right now, 

The reaction from our governments does seem much bigger than those previously experienced for bird flu, zieka etc albeit that may be my perception.

That probably reflects lessons learned from previous outbreaks and the speed at which this virus seems to be transmitting compared to the others. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as deadly as SARS or MERS. 

I understand why the Government's have taken the action they have, quarantines and restricting travel and public gatherings are good moves in the immediate outbreak. But there is a trade off once it spreads so far and other factors such as the economy will undoubtedly be considered. There is still the possibility to contain the spread so that's why the measures will remain in place, but I think that window is becoming very small indeed. 

What really needs to happen is better education of the public outside of an actual event. Inform people what a virus is, how it spreads, how they differ from each other, what you can do to be safe, how to keep yourself healthy on a daily basis, not just during a crisis because that's what will lower the chances of outbreaks in the first place. Unfortunately, you're more likely to get people's attention after an emergency starts than beforehand. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

:lol: I’d bet mate. Thinking about it too much doesn’t do you much good. 
I’ve worked in a few restaurants, mostly Chinese and you wouldn’t eat another one if you seen them tbh. 

I read that as if you weren't going to eat another Chinese person again :lol: 

17 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's been going for over 2 months in Asia and most countries there are reporting under 50 total infections. Total deaths outside China still less than 100.

I just don't see it having as big an impact as people have seen initially in China.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

3 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

How can they tell if somebody has this virus other than just the common flu/any other similar viruses?

Don't think you can, symptoms seem to be the same.

1 minute ago, OmiyaHearts said:

It's been going for over 2 months in Asia and most countries there are reporting under 50 total infections. Total deaths outside China still less than 100.

I just don't see it having as big an impact as people have seen initially in China.

Well it is slowing down in China.I think the next few weeks will tell just how much this will have spread from the outbreak in Italy.

AlphonseCapone
11 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

How can they tell if somebody has this virus other than just the common flu/any other similar viruses?

Can't without testing. 

Though just to add, apparently it may impact more on your breathing more than colds/flus and lead to a shortness of breath due to the fact this virus appears to take hold in the lung tissue. But only testing could confirm. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Or manflu?

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I like to imagine you wanted to write, bitten, definitely makes it sound more zombie apocalypse like haha. 

But without the specifics I would agree it wasn't the wisest move to let them leave. There are plenty of other contamination points in that particular sitation besides the Italian folk. 

LOL. No just showing my age, I meant smitten. Not sure I'd be able to tell the difference with some folks re the highlighted bit of your post

Seems a strange decision to me to let them go

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

No doubt lessons have been learned from previous times and containment in the hope to ‘manage’ it out the population makes sense. Albeit I think the cat is out the bag now and suspect it’s something we will need to live with. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think people are asking about with no clues they have it, it’s hit Africa and Middle East etc and I think we’re getting to the economic tipping point,

The info idea is interesting and if we get this under control you might find more traction than you think. Suggest it to your bosses might get a promotion 😀

The outbreak has changed some of my behaviours I now carry hand sanitiser everywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where do you stop though. 

Everytime you touch something in the supermarket ? 

Open a door ? 

You won't be able to move without cleaning your hands hundreds of times a day. 

People go from one extreme to the other

though I was washing my hands in the pub toilet when this bloke finishes his piss and wanders over to the sink and proceeds to comb his hair and admires himself in the mirror and walks out without washing his hands. 

I think there will be people who will behave like that in some kind of act of defiance. 

The clarty ****er should be jailed imo. 😒

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

A British guy has died from it now so expect the media to ramp up the panic over the weekend. 

Yeh, he was a passenger on the Diamond Princess, that cruise ship in Japan, I think he's now the sixth person from that ship to die now.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, he was a passenger on the Diamond Princess, that cruise ship in Japan, I think he's now the sixth person from that ship to die now.

I take it he wasn't the one that was interviewed on the news last week 

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m not sure people are over reacting due to social media. The issue to me is more about the reaction of governments etc to the virus. 

I’m struggling to think of a time where cities have been locked down, people have been put into widespread quarantine and being advised not to travel to areas of Europe for reasons other than conflict 

It’s unique times and that understandably makes people ‘nervous’. I don’t think there is all that much panic from joe public, just concern about the unknown. Social media just reflects that is a massively hyperbolic way. 

I’m more concerned to the consequences of this than actually getting the actual virus. The markets have gone mental, there will be a huge economic impact. Potential travel restrictions that we have never known, restrictions on large gatherings, closure of schools and office seem possible and we are already seeing this on a small scale already, 

I hope this comes to a end as quickly and painlessly as possible but it does feel a bit like the start of a movie right now, 

The reaction from our governments does seem much bigger than those previously experienced for bird flu, zieka etc albeit that may be my perception.

I've not actually seen that over reaction either. In fact, quite the opposite.

I'm finding people discussing and debating it but  very little panic. I know my brother in law has been stockpiling groceries etc for weeks and weeks but that's more because his immune system is pretty much goosed. Other than that, folks seem to be carrying on as normal up here.

The bit in bold I totally agree with. The ramifications of this for all of us are potentially massive.

Time to strap ourselves in, it may get quite bumpy

Dagger Is Back

This just doesn't make sense 

Northern Ireland also confirmed its first case on Thursday. Authorities said they have contacted passengers who sat near the woman on a flight from northern Italy to Dublin.

What's near or close contact? Presumably she didn't manage to board a plane without potentially 'contaminating' many parts that others will have come into contact with. They'll have details of all passengers on that flight, should they not all be contacted?

A pal and his party of 10 came back in the middle of the week having been in Rome for the Scotland Rugby game followed by a few days in a deserted ghost city in Northern Italy (not one in lockdown but close enough and deserted nevertheless) My pal had a cold before he went out which never went fully away. One or two others in the group had sniffles by the time the trip finished and they all flew back to Edinburgh. No checks at check in. No masks. No checks coming through arrivals. A plane load of folk just allowed to go merrily on their way.

So now some of the group have been in touch with their GP's and the upshot is they've been sent for testing by blokes in Hazchem suits somewhere in central Scotland. No ones tested positive as yet and no-one from the party is ill, but everyone who has been has been told to self-isolate for 14 days...........but bugger me, a whole plane load allowed to come in from an high risk area and scatter themselves across the country.

Edited by JimmyCant

15 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Northern Ireland also confirmed its first case on Thursday. Authorities said they have contacted passengers who sat near the woman on a flight from northern Italy to Dublin.

What's near or close contact? Presumably she didn't manage to board a plane without potentially 'contaminating' many parts that others will have come into contact with. They'll have details of all passengers on that flight, should they not all be contacted?

I would think being on a plane everybody would need tested that  was on it.

16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A pal and his party of 10 came back in the middle of the week having been in Rome for the Scotland Rugby game followed by a few days in a deserted ghost city in Northern Italy (not one in lockdown but close enough and deserted nevertheless) My pal had a cold before he went out which never went fully away. One or two others in the group had sniffles by the time the trip finished and they all flew back to Edinburgh. No checks at check in. No masks. No checks coming through arrivals. A plane load of folk just allowed to go merrily on their way.

So now some of the group have been in touch with their GP's and the upshot is they've been sent for testing by blokes in Hazchem suits somewhere in central Scotland. No ones tested positive as yet and no-one from the party is ill, but everyone who has been has been told to self-isolate for 14 days...........but bugger me, a whole plane load allowed to come in from an high risk area and scatter themselves across the country.

I think everybody coming home should have been told to self isolate.Dont know about being tested then as does it not have a period of 14 days that it's undectable ?

Dagger Is Back
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I would think being on a plane everybody would need tested that  was on it.

Appreciate we’re not experts and don’t have all the info to hand, but you’d think so wouldn’t you?

AlphonseCapone
14 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

1 to 2 metres is the distance for the droplets from someone coughing or sneezing that might transfer directly to another person so I'd presume that'll be their radius. However, though lower risk, there is likely still the chance of passing it on if she touches surfaces and others also touch it then touch their own face. In a plane that chance is likely heightened due close proximity of everything. 

I'm not sure why as a precaution they wouldn't contact everyone on the flight but that might be a resources thing. I'm sure anyone on the flight will be aware of the news and on high alert. 

Chances she'll have infected a large number of people on the flight are small to be honest. 

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

1 to 2 metres is the distance for the droplets from someone coughing or sneezing that might transfer directly to another person so I'd presume that'll be their radius. However, though lower risk, there is likely still the chance of passing it on if she touches surfaces and others also touch it then touch their own face. In a plane that chance is likely heightened due close proximity of everything. 

I'm not sure why as a precaution they wouldn't contact everyone on the flight but that might be a resources thing. I'm sure anyone on the flight will be aware of the news and on high alert. 

Chances she'll have infected a large number of people on the flight are small to be honest. 

I'm not sure either matey. Lack of resources - surely not? With the amount of info you have to supply these days in order to travel, it's just a question of sending texts/emails or making phone calls. Question is do people know what flight she was on? It only mentions the route from what I can see

Re your last point - she only has to infect a small number of people though right? 

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This pic says pretty much what you have. 

82A4E922-65BF-45D0-84FB-B43C096F9A54.jpeg

23 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

the proximity thing surely would also be different due to the recirculation of air in a plane. also add what happens if that infected person went to the toilet

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the proximity thing surely would also be different due to the recirculation of air in a plane. also add what happens if that infected person went to the toilet

Nah the risk from the recirculated air is really low. Modern aircraft have filter systems that prevent bacteria, viruses etc being recirculated. Intensive care units have similar systems. 

If she went to the toilet it only increases the risk of passing on a small amount, more risk if she coughs or sneezes on route without covering. But from touch contact you need to consider the times between her and someone else touching the same surface, whether that person touches their face, washes their hands soon after etc. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely, this thing is only just getting started, there are many many months of this to continue.

A couple of weeks and it’ll be history.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yeah a couple of the lads have too and say it's brilliant. I'm into my history so looking forward to soaking that up. Sure we'll find time for a few beers too mind 

I'd recommend a night tour of the Reichstag.

33 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Nah the risk from the recirculated air is really low. Modern aircraft have filter systems that prevent bacteria, viruses etc being recirculated. Intensive care units have similar systems. 

If she went to the toilet it only increases the risk of passing on a small amount, more risk if she coughs or sneezes on route without covering. But from touch contact you need to consider the times between her and someone else touching the same surface, whether that person touches their face, washes their hands soon after etc. 

cheers for that, interesting to know that. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I take it he wasn't the one that was interviewed on the news last week 

No it wasn't David Abel, he is the guy who was being interviewed everyday whilst he was onboard, not him, someone else.

Brighton Jambo
38 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A couple of weeks and it’ll be history.

No chance, this is just getting started.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Virologist on tv saying the death rate is 10x that of flu.  Think I’m going to trust him over anyone else! 

It is it's just more die of the flu because well millions more folk get the flu every year.This is new and they have no idea how it's going to go.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No it wasn't David Abel, he is the guy who was being interviewed everyday whilst he was onboard, not him, someone else.

Thanks

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It is it's just more die of the flu because well millions more folk get the flu every year.This is new and they have no idea how it's going to go.

Exactly if millions catch this then the death toll is going to be huge 

Dagger Is Back
31 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I'd recommend a night tour of the Reichstag.

Magic. Another thing added to the list

Danke

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Magic. Another thing added to the list

Danke

remember your passport as you need to show id before getting in

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic