Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
13 minutes ago, westbow said:

Aye, for a lot of businesses the first two, three months of the year are the slowest anyway. Might be better to get shit under control then reopen back of March.

:notsure:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Agree with this. 

The SG have always said they will apply some form of judgement. In this case the judgement applied looks the correct call; as disappointing as that is. 

Tier 4 after Christmas now seems more likely than tier 3. 

I felt last week that Edinburgh should have been placed in Tier 2. That was because although the data was marginal, I thought that Edinburgh should have been rewarded for having consistently kept the infection rate down. However, I can see how the SG was spooked by the rise in infections in the capital. In saying that, we've had plenty rises across the country like that before which turn out to be specific clusters and the rate drops again soon after, so I felt that we should just go for it.

The SG took a different approach. Remember also that they have far more data behind their decisions than we the public do (which is another matter altogether). They saw the slight rise but also, I suspect, considered that it was just the wrong time to put Edinburgh down a tier. In the lead up to Christmas there would no doubt have been an influx of folk from other areas coming into Tier 2 Edinburgh for a pint and some shopping. It could have been carnage.

So, they took the decision to delay a week and see what that case figure was going to do. The "political" decision would have been to put Edinburgh down into Tier 2. It would have been good for votes and support in the area. But they chose to make the hard decision and not do so, even knowing that it would create a backlash and cost them support in the capital. And they did it to protect the capital.

Now that's the sort of brave decision-making I like to see. It's just a shame that they didn't use the same decision-making when they didn't clamp down on Greater Glasgow sooner, when they didn't push Aberdeen (and probably Aberdeenshire at the time) back up to Tier 3, and when they gave the Tier 4's a 3-week shelf life come what may, etc...

1 hour ago, Robbofan99 said:

Never fails 

6971140B-5F40-41ED-9D1C-2E4198790713.jpeg

It's commonly known as an opinion.  I reckon there's no chance of tier 2.  It's not exactly doom and gloom to say so but crack on if it makes you happy.  Feel free to share an opinion that we will go to tier 2.  I either wont complain or wont give a ****.

47 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Getting my vaccine on Thursday . Doing my bit

Is that the vaccine about a month ago you said wasn't coming any time soon?  ;)

38 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Agree with this. 

The SG have always said they will apply some form of judgement. In this case the judgement applied looks the correct call; as disappointing as that is. 

Tier 4 after Christmas now seems more likely than tier 3. 

D&G and Borders e.g. had to wait a week or two if not more, just to make sure, before going to L1.

The data last week was indicating Edinburgh rising.  Going L3, L2,L3 in the space of a week, would have  been the real folly.

I still can't find however if legally the L4 councils had to go to L3 or some  could have stayed in L4.

Edited by DETTY29

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No not yet I’ll have to try this weekend I think there is something going on ? 

Yeah, someone said something. I’m sure it will be open early, maybe after too. 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Is that the vaccine about a month ago you said wasn't coming any time soon?  ;)

I still have my concerns , but I cannot push it onto others and not take it myself.

its all in the lap of the gods now

Just now, doctor jambo said:

I still have my concerns , but I cannot push it onto others and not take it myself.

its all in the lap of the gods now

Good lad.  

Just now, DETTY29 said:

I still can't find however if legally the L4 councils had to go to L3 or some  could have stayed in L4.

I don't think there was any legality connected to it. However the SG had said at the launch of the tier 4's that they would last only 3 weeks (I've still no idea why they would lock themselves in to a promise like that), and realised that if they went against that then there would be a backlash.

The original announcement: https://www.gov.scot/news/updates-to-covid-19-protection-levels/

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:notsure:

I'm just meaning that if shit is going to fall then maybe it is best to happen in traditionally the quietest 8-10 weeks of the year. Hope not but if it has to then best of a bad load of choices.

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

D&G and Borders e.g. had to wait a week or two if not more, just to make sure, before going to L1.

The Borders, yes. I think Dumfries and Galloway had shown consistently low data for long enough to have even been moved down a week before they were.

Borders was a cracker though. Looks good, gets moved down a tier, boom, almost immediate spike in cases. It just shows how difficult many of these decisions are.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps an attempt at achieving 'buy-in' from a disgruntled populace?

There's definitely merit in that interpretation, jonesy. I personally would have chucked in a "likely for only three weeks, although we will have to see how well each area is doing at the end of that period" or something like that. As you may have seen, however, I am no politician.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Edinburgh wont see tier 2 until well in to the new year, possible after Glasgow.

Maybe February at the earliest.😭

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Edinburgh wont see tier 2 until well in to the new year, possible after Glasgow.

I agree with the former bit, Governor, but Glasgow has had consistently high infection rates for so long now, I really can't see them dropping down below Edinburgh's for quite a considerable time.

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, westbow said:

Midlothian are going for it. They were going to be Tier 2 a couple of weeks back.

Similar case numbers to East Lothian, but with 20,000 less people living there.  It is a worrying increase though. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, westbow said:

Midlothian are going for it. They were going to be Tier 2 a couple of weeks back.

Double Post. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

There's a bloke on Radio Scotland just now promoting the covid jab, he said that he's had it, then proceeded to cough his face off. 

😂

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Just now, Lord BJ said:

West Lothian dropped below Edinburgh today. It wasn’t that long ago it was more than double. 

I think Glasgow and Edinburgh will come out at the same time, more due to the inter connectivity of the central belt and the two cities.

Possibly. West Lothian has a smaller population though and its per-capita figures are therefore more prone to the vagaries of infection clusters.

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I agree with the former bit, Governor, but Glasgow has had consistently high infection rates for so long now, I really can't see them dropping down below Edinburgh's for quite a considerable time.

They won't have to.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The Borders, yes. I think Dumfries and Galloway had shown consistently low data for long enough to have even been moved down a week before they were.

Borders was a cracker though. Looks good, gets moved down a tier, boom, almost immediate spike in cases. It just shows how difficult many of these decisions are.

The spike last week was largely down to management incompetence at the BGH, when their strategy of not testing new admissions went completely pear shaped.  The infections which then resulted within the hospital accounted for a good percentage of the regions spike.

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

One senses that the Nicola apologists don’t share your disappointment and are quietly rejoicing at the rise in Edinburgh cases.

Get a grip. That's a fecking appalling post. Everyone wants this to go away. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

One senses that the Nicola apologists don’t share your disappointment and are quietly rejoicing at the rise in Edinburgh cases.

Do you *seriously* believe that, that some folk are actually celebrating a rise in cases?!

If so, perhaps you need to step back a little and consider if your political views may be clouding your common sense and judgement, weehammy.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

That says an infinite amount more about your bitterness than it does about the so-called apologists.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The spike last week was largely down to management incompetence at the BGH, when their strategy of not testing new admissions went completely pear shaped.  The infections which then resulted within the hospital accounted for a good percentage of the regions spike.

Good to know. What sort of shite strategy was that though! :facepalm:

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, weehammy said:

What a lot of pish.

It looked as though your posts were improving.

Then you spoil it.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good to know. What sort of shite strategy was that though! :facepalm:

They were (management) repeatedly warned that not testing new admissions or at least to keep them apart from other patients on normal wards until it was clear they were free ov covid, was a disaster waiting to happen, because sooner or later someone who was asymptomatic was going to be placed on a ward and infect other patients, and that's pretty much what happened.

Ward 7 a surgical ward had to be closed when 8 patients and a number of staff fell ill and tested positive.

That number has now risen to 22 today and from various wards around the hospital, and it's got worse over the week-end.

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/health/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-rise-borders-general-hospital-3067473#gsc.tab=0

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They were (management) repeatedly warned that not testing new admissions or at least to keep them apart from other patients on normal wards until it was clear they were free ov covid, was a disaster waiting to happen, because sooner or later someone who was asymptomatic was going to be placed on a ward and infect other patients, and that's pretty much what happened.

Ward 7 a surgical ward had to be closed when 8 patients and a number of staff fell ill and tested positive.

That number has now risen to 22 today and from various wards around the hospital, and it's got worse over the week-end.

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/health/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-rise-borders-general-hospital-3067473#gsc.tab=0

FFS. I would have thought that such testing and temporary "quarantine" would have been de rigueur for hospitals in Scotland and I'm frankly surprised that it isn't. Hopefully any other hospitals who don't yet have such procedures in place will have taken note.

This is one of the major reasons why the "shielding the elderly and susceptible" method of herd immunity touted by some folk wouldn't work, imo. We can't even keep the virus out of hospitals and care homes now, after several months of living with the pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Except you, ya *****, you were hoping for second wave to teach people a lesson on JKB

You wished this on us :seething:

No chance. I just want us to all be safe. 

CavySlaveJambo

There are two Welsh Health Boards struggling right now due to Covid cases.  All non urgent treatment postponed.  Englands numbers rising, ours plateauing for now. 

CavySlaveJambo
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cancel this Christmas free for all. It's crazy. 

Should never have been done. People would do it anyway but if people are going out more because they need to buy stuff..... 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cancel this Christmas free for all. It's crazy. 

Cancel it all you want, folk will be getting together regardless.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cancel it all you want, folk will be getting together regardless.

Stupid is what stupid does. All these people who greet ever year about having to put up with family, now wanting said family in their house with covid. Aw well, don't go greeting if your(In general) old folks end up pan bread. 

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

FFS. I would have thought that such testing and temporary "quarantine" would have been de rigueur for hospitals in Scotland and I'm frankly surprised that it isn't. Hopefully any other hospitals who don't yet have such procedures in place will have taken note.

This is one of the major reasons why the "shielding the elderly and susceptible" method of herd immunity touted by some folk wouldn't work, imo. We can't even keep the virus out of hospitals and care homes now, after several months of living with the pandemic.

I can't speak for other hospitals but it appears that at the Borders General Hospital no lessons have been learnt.

That article in the link I provided, when the spokesperson said that all staff had been tested, what he meant was that all ward 7 staff have been tested, the rest of the staff haven't been.  Mrs JJ & most of her collegues have never been tested, not once since this thing started.  I hear people on here say that care-home staff are getting tested twice a week, and that's great, however it's twice a week more than the staff at the BGH are getting tested which is..........well they aren't getting tested.

It was always a terrible idea but the gvts were sort of bounced into it and probably realised people would mix anyway.  It was never any sort of manageable measure within what is an ongoing fine balancing act.

Ideally it should be scrapped but it wont be.  That ship has sailed.  People were told they could have it and just wont understand or accept a change.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I can't speak for other hospitals but it appears that at the Borders General Hospital no lessons have been learnt.

That article in the link I provided, when the spokesperson said that all staff had been tested, what he meant was that all ward 7 staff have been tested, the rest of the staff haven't been.  Mrs JJ & most of her collegues have never been tested, not once since this thing started.  I hear people on here say that care-home staff are getting tested twice a week, and that's great, however it's twice a week more than the staff at the BGH are getting tested which is..........well they aren't getting tested.

I would love to hear their reasoning behind that.

When reading the article you posted, I was wryly "amused" to see the hospital spokesman say "However it doesn’t just occur in healthcare settings; it can also start abruptly and spread quickly through communities." And your point is, caller?

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day per-100,000 case rates around the councils. Illustrates that the SG made a mistake in not putting Aberdeen into tier 3 well before now.

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday       12 Dec 11 Dec 10 Dec 9 Dec 8 Dec
Clackmannanshire 3 188 190 -2     173 167 181 198 206
North Ayrshire 3 181 180 +1     177 160 145 154 155
East Ayrshire 3 175 161 +14     152 160 149 148 150
Dundee City 3 165 132 +33     125 111 104 112 115
Midlothian 3 163 151 +12     133 123 93 84 99
Glasgow City 3 154 141 +13     145 135 142 146 157
Renfrewshire 3 145 145 0     142 138 128 128 149
Aberdeen City 2 144 124 +20     120 114 96 95 80
North Lanarkshire 3 144 134 +10     131 129 141 142 140
South Lanarkshire 3 141 128 +13     134 127 124 124 131
East Lothian 2 136 126 +10     122 122 114 99 84
Fife 3 133 135 -2     132 118 114 106 107
East Renfrewshire 3 130 137 -7     124 119 125 127 137
South Ayrshire 3 123 116 +7     121 111 101 99 101
Perth and Kinross 3 113 104 +9     97 75 83 94 96
West Lothian 3 110 117 -7     110 125 122 123 122
Edinburgh City 3 109 102 +7     95 93 86 89 82
East Dunbartonshire 3 100 106 -6     106 104 100 100 96
West Dunbartonshire 3 94 80 +14     75 74 63 67 71
Falkirk 2 91 98 -7     98 99 104 80 71
Scottish Borders 1 87 82 +5     73 56 52 48 41
Stirling 3 84 93 -9     97 91 90 83 89
Aberdeenshire 2 80 89 -9     83 85 86 90 87
Angus 2 60 69 -9     66 60 55 65 59
Inverclyde 2 51 57 -6     63 57 51 54 60
Argyll and Bute 2 33 51 -18     49 48 154 162 165
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 22 15 +7     15 15 15 4 4
Dumfries & Galloway 1 21 23 -2     25 25 27 26 26
Moray 1 21 25 -4     22 19 14 15 19
Highland 1 17 18 -1     16 13 13 11 9
Orkney Islands 1 0 0 0     0 0 0 0 0
Shetland Islands 1 0 0 0     0 0 0 4 4
Scotland   112 111 +1     108 102 102 103 104

I'm in these statistics. 

Fame!!!!

1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm in these statistics. 

Fame!!!!

:D It was the same when I had family members test positive earlier this year. I was hoping that they would be in fact the only infections in our local council area that day so that I could take a screenshot of the covid map for posterity and say "These were all down to you!". Sadly, there were a couple more cases that day.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I would love to hear their reasoning behind that.

When reading the article you posted, I was wryly "amused" to see the hospital spokesman say "However it doesn’t just occur in healthcare settings; it can also start abruptly and spread quickly through communities." And your point is, caller?

A reply that pretty much meant 'Move along, nothing to see here'

And that should tell you all you need to know about the attitude of senior management at the BGH.

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, westbow said:

Tbh, as much as I want it to be true, I cannot see the logic of the FM keeping us in tier 3 out of malice, prejudice or pacifying the great west coast unwashed. It must be the threat of yuletide boozing not to mention a certain game kicking off 2:15 on a Sunday before Christmas. Large groups of blokes nursing a scotch egg and singing, shouting and dancing about in celebration after every goal, etc. Pains me to say, but I think they called it right.

I was furious when they kept us at 3 based on the numbers announced. I think though it's turned out to be the right call. Whether that's been just been fortunate on their part though is another issue  

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s the only info I have seen 🤷🏻‍♂️We will find out tomorrow, when the other data is issued. Im not aware of it being available in advance of the tier decisions, though it might be. 

Unfortunately, when cases rise the others metrics tend to rise slightly in a delayed fashion. I don’t know that’s what has happened but I suspect that’s what the data will point to. 

The tone is getting more ‘cautious’ from the SG and I believe that’s due to concerns over wave 3. 

I struggle to see much grounds for Edinburgh moving to tier 2. You might have more insight on the data to me that points to a different picture. 

I’m not holding out any hope for positive news tomorrow. Would be delighted to be wrong and be moved to tier 2 🤞

No more insight just finding it a little bit sneaky from her to use positive cases as the yard stick when it suits. Agree with your last sentence any hope of moving to tier 2 disappeared completely today. 

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Stupid is what stupid does. All these people who greet ever year about having to put up with family, now wanting said family in their house with covid. Aw well, don't go greeting if your(In general) old folks end up pan bread. 

If it goes tits up they'll blame the governmen for allowing the relaxation of rules.

Just been watching ITV news.  Mary Nightingale was asking a reporter whether " people should be worried about the new variants in the virus"..?  She looked gob smacked when he said " No".... Not what she wanted really ?  The ITV news and STV are the main fear mongering media outlets i feel.  Channel 4 used to be more measured but they have went radge as well now.  However ITV news is a bit contradictory .  There is now an item about a guy who died of cancer but wasnt given treatment / appointment in enough time due to Covid.   Shocking. 

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If it goes tits up they'll blame the governmen for allowing the relaxation of rules.

Well obviously it will be the Govt fault surely as they have given the go  ahead for the restrictions to be lifted? 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just been watching ITV news.  Mary Nightingale was asking a reporter whether " people should be worried about the new variants in the virus"..?  She looked gob smacked when he said " No".... Not what she wanted really ?  The ITV news and STV are the main fear mongering media outlets i feel.  Channel 4 used to be more measured but they have went radge as well now.  However ITV news is a bit contradictory .  There is now an item about a guy who died of cancer but wasnt given treatment / appointment in enough time due to Covid.   Shocking. 

Oh Sky News is the same, you can often see the sheer disappointment when their guest doesn't start shouting.

image.jpeg.834bcc825bb1a01586792d04ee55f11c.jpeg

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The reporters now seem to be on a mission to badger the government to change their minds on Christmas.

Fecking reptiles, the lot of them

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh Sky News is the same, you can often see the sheer disappointment when their guest doesn't start shouting.

image.jpeg.834bcc825bb1a01586792d04ee55f11c.jpeg

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-the-new-variant-of-sars-cov-2/ 

“The emergence of different coronavirus strains a year after SARS-CoV-2 first jumped to humans is neither cause for panic nor unexpected. Mutations will accumulate and lead to new virus variants, pushed by our own immune system to change or perish.

Edited by Candy

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

The reporters now seem to be on a mission to badger the government to change their minds on Christmas.

Fecking reptiles, the lot of them

Yep Nucky this now seems to be the new narrative .  Its a waste of time anyway is people wont give a toss and still visiting their relatives or family on Xmas day.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic