Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Internet
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lots of morons have stuffed their camper vans full of food and bog roll and have crammed into holiday parks and campsites across the nation to sit out the crisis.

End result is large gatherings of people at the communal shower blocks and laundry rooms, the exact opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.

People really are thick.

All we're being asked to do is stay in our house and we can't ****ing do it :lol: literally nothing else is required from us (essential workers aside). Madness. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Yes mate I think I’ve turned ocd... I’ll back off a wee bit and see if it helps 

Try getting O'Keefe work hands cream mate.Its great will sting at first but I think being a bricky your hands are going to be ****ed washing and being outdoors a few uses with that O'Keefe stuff will sort them out.

download (3).jpeg

59 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Indeed, UK is 66. 4 million and Italy is 60.5 million. That's still a Scotland size difference though so the most recent day shows a slight gap rather than being exactly the same as the raw 233 number would.

The trends what matters though aye and we are going the same way, just thought it might be of interest to folk that haven't seen it as a rate. 

45 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely, just look at what happened the other day in Australia, hundreds/thousands decended upon Bondi Beach, but now it's being reported that several of them have tested postitive for coronavirus.

What I believe part of the problem is, that way too many people think they won't get it and even if they do it's only like a mild flu, that they won't pass it onto their parents or grandparents, no that sort thing happens to other people not them.

And I also agree that some people will think that the rules don't apply to them, rules are for other people not them, take the guy the other day who totally refused to self-isolate when he arrived on the Isle of Man, I wonder if he still thinks that the rules don't apply to him, on day 3 or 4 of being locked up for 14 days.

Welsh government has just said that they may introduce laws meaning that they can enforce social distancing, because people are not listening.

I've largely been inside the last week apart from a trip to my local post office for supplies (I live in a small village). Today I had to go and do a shop for the week ahead and was shocked at how people are just milling about without a care in the world.

Sainsbury's was quite quiet and reasonably well stocked but I went in, touched the basket, filled it, paid, put it into my own bag and then the car before going back in and thoroughly washed my hands in the toilets (in the sink obviously 😂😂) before then touching my steering wheel etc. Most people were keeping their distance and being careful but loads were coming right up next to me whilst getting something from a shelf and standing close to each other at the tills. Interestingly those not respecting personal space all belonged to a single demographic, I won't mention which as it was such a small sample size.

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

All we're being asked to do is stay in our house and we can't ****ing do it :lol: literally nothing else is required from us (essential workers aside). Madness. 

Its mental when you see how much some folk stay in binge watching tv or playing consoles that when as a nation we are asked to stay they don't want to.

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

"Could the entire nation stay at home, lie on the couch in their undies and watch box sets and play Xbox all day?"

"Nut. We wanty dae helfy stuff"

Jambo-Jimbo

Several shops shutting until further notice, John Lewis, Timpsons, Primark to name but three who have announced this in the last day or so.

Total shut down on it's way, Monday or Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest, I reckon.

Fire_At_The_Disco
5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Try getting O'Keefe work hands cream mate.Its great will sting at first but I think being a bricky your hands are going to be ****ed washing and being outdoors a few uses with that O'Keefe stuff will sort them out.

download (3).jpeg

Thanks bud I’ll look out for some. 👍

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lots of morons have stuffed their camper vans full of food and bog roll and have crammed into holiday parks and campsites across the nation to sit out the crisis.

End result is large gatherings of people at the communal shower blocks and laundry rooms, the exact opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.

People really are thick.

I got an email last week from a hotel up north (near Nairn), advertising itself as the perfect place to come and self-isolate. I know these places are going to be strapped for cash and looking for ways to bring in income but FFS, think of the bigger picture.

Fire_At_The_Disco
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Several shops shutting until further notice, John Lewis, Timpsons, Primark to name but three who have announced this in the last day or so.

Total shut down on it's way, Monday or Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest, I reckon.

Agreed I reckon midweek but the worry is it will be London only at 1st, just hope it’s uk wide. 

I was aware that people were readying campers and caravans but I sort of assumed they were planning for symptom isolation measures,    not becoming survivalists.      

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

from the quick look ive just had it looks like at east for the last 20 years he has been in an admin/leadership role rather than a direct scientific one

I certainly hope so. Lab skills or specific research work would be utterly valueless in his current role. 

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Add HMV to the list, although can still order online.

The Internet
4 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

"Could the entire nation stay at home, lie on the couch in their undies and watch box sets and play Xbox all day?"

"Nut. We wanty dae helfy stuff"

'sorry I appreciate what's happening but I am just not the type to sit in the house' 

British af. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Add HMV to the list, although can still order online.

Yeh, they'll still be open online, just the physical shops will close.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Getting my hair cut sharpish

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Agreed I reckon midweek but the worry is it will be London only at 1st, just hope it’s uk wide. 

They do that and half of London will empty overnight and move out to the sticks.

It needs to be the whole country at the same time.

With the big supermarkets taking on extra driving staff I wonder if we will get to a point where we might just get online orders and then the shops are open for a couple of hours just for the elderly.Would be much easier to restrict buying as well.

6 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Speaking London. I have a cousin who lives there and he's expecting the infection/fatality rates when they begin ramping up which is likely to be initially worse in London.

Even more disturbing was he mentioned they had been building "huge mortuaries" there. Now I haven't been able to question him on that yet so I don't know if he means this building began recently or had been a prior ongoing thing.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Speaking London. I have a cousin who lives there and he's expecting the infection/fatality rates when they begin ramping up which is likely to be initially worse in London.

Even more disturbing was he mentioned they had been building "huge mortuaries" there. Now I haven't been able to question him on that yet so I don't know if he means this building began recently or had been a prior ongoing thing.

I saw on the news last week them building extensions to the mortuaries.

Edited by graygo

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

There was a story in one of the online papers showing an enormous extension being built onto an existing mortuary. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There was a story in one of the online papers showing an enormous extension being built onto an existing mortuary. 

So the one preparation they have planned for is stockpiling the dead, lovely. You get the feeling they expect this to go Italian style pear shaped soon. And I suppose being realistic there is no reason for it not to.

I'm in the US so not fully up to speed on everything happening back home. But I have been getting the impression they didn't begin preparatory lock down procedures any earlier than the Italians did at the same phase so to speak. 

Lots of photos on Twitter of an absolutely packed street market in Hackney. It’s idiots like these that are going to be the people that mean the government have no choice but to impose total lockdown. The majority suffer due to the idiotic minority. 

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

So the one preparation they have planned for is stockpiling the dead, lovely. You get the feeling they expect this to go Italian style pear shaped soon. And I suppose being realistic there is no reason for it not to.

I'm in the US so not fully up to speed on everything happening back home. But I have been getting the impression they didn't begin preparatory lock down procedures any earlier than the Italians did at the same phase so to speak. 

I’m not 100 percent on how many cases or deaths the Italians had when they recommended, then later enforced, action. The Irish seemed to move very quickly to close schools and other gathering places though. So far they have nearly 800 cases and 3 deaths so be interested to see how faster action affects their peak 

where are you in the states and how are things there?

Edited by GinRummy

Francis Albert
43 minutes ago, Cade said:

People really are thick.

There are difficult decisions to be made but some are easy.WTF are these sites still open?

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not 100 percent on how many cases or deaths the Italians had when they recommended, then later enforced, action. The Irish seemed to move very quickly to close schools and other gathering places though. So far they have nearly 800 cases and 3 deaths so be interested to see how faster action affects their peak 

Horse racing in Ireland goes on though. Including lots of British jockeys.

1 hour ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Anybody else’s hands seriously drying out?

I'm now having to moisturise every time I wash my hands .... I’m a builder ffs it’s really sore 😭

Nutragena.

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

I saw on the news last week them building extensions to the mortuaries.

Sensible.

Francis Albert
29 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

With the big supermarkets taking on extra driving staff I wonder if we will get to a point where we might just get online orders and then the shops are open for a couple of hours just for the elderly.Would be much easier to restrict buying as well.

There is no way online orders will expand quickly enough. I think. Rationing more likely.

The First Minister on Sky now doing a press briefing I hope folks listen to the advice and follow it to the letter. 
Do it or we will lose more lives than we need too. It’s that simple. 

53 minutes ago, Cade said:

People really are thick.

Again around here, car parks  and road verges rammed full, people everywhere.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I'm in Oklahoma. Things been going downhill supplies wise for a week or so. Exactly the same thing you're seeing there. Supermarket shelves running empty and the very same bizarre bog roll obsession.

One difference is that in this nation which already had more guns than people they have decided his situation demands even more guns. The gun stores have been swamped with armouries being stockpiled and ammunition running low.

And that's something I have to be concerned about you wont need to. These people are wackos. Not all of them obviously but the country is littered with nuts who are desperate for a chance to pull out a gun and shoot somebody.

A nation where around 80 people die of gunshot every single day in normal times. To put that into perspective the British figure is around 40 a year. Every day as many die of gunshot than Britain will see in an average 2 years.

I don't expect this crisis to help that enormous gun death statistic any. A nation littered with guns, religious nuts, end times apocalypse nuts, and a President who is simply nuts. Not a good mixture in a crisis.

Kind of feels like this

" We will wait until the NHS can no longer cope then we enforce strict lockdowns "

Loud cheers and applause, one sensible voice voice peeps up.

" Why don't we go into lockdown quickly to give the NHS more time "

" No we will go with wait until it can't cope "

Loud cheers and applause.

Now I'm not  not saying that is how it is or how simple things can be dobe but it does feel like it sometimes.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Again around here, car parks  and road verges rammed full, people everywhere.

It's that kind of thing that'll ensure total lockdown. If people are sensible, folk will still be able to go for walks etc through this. But what's happening is people are taking the piss and ensuring the government will have to enact tougher measures. 

46 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've largely been inside the last week apart from a trip to my local post office for supplies (I live in a small village). Today I had to go and do a shop for the week ahead and was shocked at how people are just milling about without a care in the world.

Sainsbury's was quite quiet and reasonably well stocked but I went in, touched the basket, filled it, paid, put it into my own bag and then the car before going back in and thoroughly washed my hands in the toilets (in the sink obviously 😂😂) before then touching my steering wheel etc. Most people were keeping their distance and being careful but loads were coming right up next to me whilst getting something from a shelf and standing close to each other at the tills. Interestingly those not respecting personal space all belonged to a single demographic, I won't mention which as it was such a small sample size.

Just to make you and others aware and having worked in a major shop during my uni years.  It is not illegal to take your own bag in, fill your bag, then empty it once you get to the till.  It's only if you have concealed items when you step foot out of the exit door that it is considered shoplifting. You can actually stuff items into your pockets or jacket too.  But as above, as long as you empty everything out on the till or before you exit the store, you are ok. 

Me personally, I wouldn't touch any basket or trolley in the coming weeks.  Imo, trollies should be locked.  It would stop a lot of the panic buying if people were restricted to baskets.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm in Oklahoma. Things been going downhill supplies wise for a week or so. Exactly the same thing you're seeing there. Supermarket shelves running empty and the very same bizarre bog roll obsession.

One difference is that in this nation which already had more guns than people they have decided his situation demands even more guns. The gun stores have been swamped with armouries being stockpiled and ammunition running low.

And that's something I have to be concerned about you wont need to. These people are wackos. Not all of them obviously but the country is littered with nuts who are desperate for a chance to pull out a gun and shoot somebody.

A nation where around 80 people die of gunshot every single day in normal times. To put that into perspective the British figure is around 40 a year. Every day as many die of gunshot than Britain will see in an average 2 years.

I don't expect this crisis to help that enormous gun death statistic any. A nation littered with guns, religious nuts, end times apocalypse nuts, and a President who is simply nuts. Not a good mixture in a crisis.

Crikey! The last thing they need over there is more guns on the streets. Stay safe mate 👍

Tommy Brown

Daughter just sent a video of crowded Florida hotspots, hooping and hollering "no Corona here."

NY Governor didn't miss his young citizens.

Unintelligent and reckless.

I'm suspicious that the reason for not going to full scale lockdowns is that they have assessed it to be impossible to police,   or could risk widespead crime and disorder.    

1 minute ago, BlackJAC? said:

Just to make you and others aware and having worked in a major shop during my uni years.  It is not illegal to take your own bag in, fill your bag, then empty it once you get to the till.  It's only if you have concealed items when you step foot out of the exit door that it is considered shoplifting. You can actually stuff items into your pockets or jacket too.  But as above, as long as you empty everything out on the till or before you exit the store, you are ok. 

Me personally, I wouldn't touch any basket or trolley in the coming weeks.  Imo, trollies should be locked.  It would stop a lot of the panic buying if people were restricted to baskets.

One basket per person would let the shops recover.

wear gloves. I’m sure there are plastic gloves available when you are selecting fruit and breads etc or take alcohol gel and a wipe and clean the handles first. 

5 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

It's that kind of thing that'll ensure total lockdown. If people are sensible, folk will still be able to go for walks etc through this. But what's happening is people are taking the piss and ensuring the government will have to enact tougher measures. 

Just come passed Kirkby Lonsdale and the bikers at Devils Bridge are there in thier droves, all milling about looking at each others bikes as is nothing is going on, same at Caton yesterday.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

One basket per person would let the shops recover.

And how do you stop people simply going back around again?

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

wear gloves. I’m sure there are plastic gloves available when you are selecting fruit and breads etc or take alcohol gel and a wipe and clean the handles first. 

Not a lot of that alcohol gel going about

Just now, Cade said:

You can't, but lots of folk are naturally lazy. Give them a trolley, they are likely to fill it, make them have to go in 5 or 6 times with a basket, it's highly unlikely many people would.

Just now, Cade said:

Good point but I think most British folk once they got out to the car with the bag wouldn't be arsed about going back in again and would just go back in a couple of days.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

It would inject inconvenience and addition time spent for these cretins,   which would probably deter some bulk buying.    

You can't, but lots of folk are naturally lazy. Give them a trolley, they are likely to fill it, make them have to go in 5 or 6 times with a basket, it's highly unlikely many people would.

Same wavelength 👍

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic