Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

No mass testing, but plenty are getting tested without symptoms as whole families are getting tested when one member had symptoms. PHS are now convinced that increased inter family social interactions put the numbers up when schools are closed. 

The data is showing that pupils and their families are not testing positive after in school contact and having to isolate. You would expect to see more positives in the isolated group and their close contacts if it was spreading in schools 

I just don't understand how it isn't spreading in schools when I see all the pupils from the one up the road hanging around in big groups with no distancing or masks, etc.

My niece is out with her school mates most nights and has been for months.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I should say there was a mass testing trial in Liverpool schools but I’ve not seen the results published anywhere, I’d be interested to see if it showed a significant amount of asymptotic cases, which may as you point out make me entirely wrong. 

It might be that this data was kept under wraps in case of a public backlash against schools remaining open.

It's an absolutely horrible juggling act for the various authorities.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It might be that this data was kept under wraps in case of a public backlash against schools remaining open.

It's an absolutely horrible juggling act for the various authorities.

I’d imagine the backlash would come if they closed the schools. It would take a brave person to make that decision. Probably why we’ll never see the data. 

37 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Well if you would stop carping on about it hopefully it will.

Thankfully it’s just a minnowrity of posters.

Edited by GinRummy

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Despite claims to contrary their doesn’t seem to be many outbreak in schools. Isolations are high because if someone tests positive in that setting it takes 30+ into isolation. 

I think there are probably a couple of different reasons for not spreading in schools. Kids are not impacted or effected like adults are. So for whatever reason the virus is just like meh to them and doesn’t spread in the same way as amongst adults. I also think social distancing is in play to a degree and limits things in school.

Its easy to look at some kids ducking about in the playground or waiting on buses but when in schools walls rules are strictly enforced or as can be. It’s far from a free for all. 

Outside is a pretty low risk environment. 

That isn't strictly true.  They are grouped together in large numbers with no social distancing or face masks out of school going into supermarkets, mcdonalds, or chippies at lunchtime.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Despite claims to contrary their doesn’t seem to be much of outbreak in schools. Isolations are high because if someone tests positive in that setting it takes 30+ into isolation. 

I think there are probably a couple of different reasons for not spreading in schools. Kids are not impacted or effected like adults are. So for whatever reason the virus is just like meh to them and doesn’t spread in the same way amongst adults. I also think social distancing is in play to a degree and limits things in school.

Its easy to look at some ducking about in the playground or waiting on buses but when in schools walls rules are strictly enforced or as can be. It’s far from a free for all. 

Outside is a pretty low risk environment. 

I guess that if the kids are asymptomatic then they're not coughing and sneezing all over each other. Maybe the viral load from surfaces isn't enough to infect them. **** knows.

I know that it can't be a free for all inside the school, but there's squads of them trotting up the road arm in arm on a daily basis.

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I guess that if the kids are asymptomatic then they're not coughing and sneezing all over each other. Maybe the viral load from surfaces isn't enough to infect them. **** knows.

I know that it can't be a free for all inside the school, but there's squads of them trotting up the road arm in arm on a daily basis.

I recall seeing studies where it found that the virus finds it difficult to attach itself to children’s lungs. It clearly has the biggest impact on the elderly and those with underlying health issues. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

So Nicola playing fast and loose with the truth today. When asked about why Edinburgh was not in Tier 3 she said “Lothian figures” were going the wrong way! Edinburgh figures today are 60 positive cases. That’s a decrease in my book. 

Midlothian and East Lothian are pretty much conurbination  with Edinburgh. Also Edinburgh commuter belt.   There numbers are going sky high if today is anything to go by.

10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The number of cases per day, 60 for today and the cases per week,  68 per 100k. as in the photo I posted. 
🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure how these differ from yours which are obviously lifted of the TT site. I’m sure yours are correct.

The simple answer would be that the two figures are using different bases for their calculation. The first one is a simple snapshot of the daily number of cases in the city. The second counts up all the cases in a week and then calculates a per-100k figure based on the population of Edinburgh.

Let's go back to the raw data though, as that might explain it better. The graph in question is compiled weekly on a Wednesday (yesterday) and says that it "uses the data from the ScotGov weekly level allocation review" (published on the Tuesday). A look at the review itself (link) shows that it used the data up to Friday 4 (I had no idea that it used data this far back, so that's news to me. The page says "data published up to 7th December" although the figures only go up to the 4th - perhaps they use the swab date?).

So, let's pull up the Edinburgh case numbers for the week from Saturday 28 November to Friday 4 December (all taken from the TT site): 53, 43, 26, 45, 46, 72, 67. The total of these, i.e. the number of cases over the 7-day period, is 352.

Taking 524,900 (which the TT site uses) as the population figure for Edinburgh City, that gives a 7-day per-100,000 case figure of 352 * 100,000 / 524,900, which works out at 67. That's close enough to the 68 which the review uses.

If it's something else that is causing the confusion, let me know. I must admit that it's pretty difficult to figure out the different bases of the statistics and how they're used, and I'm certainly no expert - I just use the stats that others produce.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

A couple had travelled through to Glasgow from Fife yesterday, went in to my Mrs coffee shop. They had a go at my wife because Glasgow is in lockdown and they couldn't sit in for a coffee or go shopping for clothes.

When she told them everywhere was closed for sit in and all clothes shops were shut, they replied 'thanks for your f******g help'. And stormed out the shop swearing at her.😐

If I even had to mention it, they had no masks on either. Always the same type - no mask, no social distancing & rude. 

She's dreading Saturday when the shop is open again for sit-ins. 

Sounds horrendous.  I've seen some shit myself.  It's been a bit of an eye opener despite me already being well aware of the capacity in some people to be pretty offensive.

I sympathise with the hassle your Mrs took.  It's quite depressing how readily this sort of thing occurs.  

Sturgeon was squirming today when questioned about Edinburgh not being moved to tier 2. 

She did her usual deflect and saying the same thing over and over again. “It’s about suppressing this highly contagious virus” blah blah blah bullshite. 

Anyways unless she is the most stubborn ***** that has ever lived then there is no way she can’t move Edinburgh down a tier next week. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

All needle and joking aside, you should have a right to feel safe in the workplace. Are you in a union? If your boss isn't supporting you, it sounds like you need a new job.

I sort of need to move on anyway at some point.  Regardless of CV.  The boss is a ****ing weirdo and a total enigma.  Decent most of the time but an utter bellend some of the time.  New job will have to wait until a future date.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The simple answer would be that the two figures are using different bases for their calculation. The first one is a simple snapshot of the daily number of cases in the city. The second counts up all the cases in a week and then calculates a per-100k figure based on the population of Edinburgh.

Let's go back to the raw data though, as that might explain it better. The graph in question is compiled weekly on a Wednesday (yesterday) and says that it "uses the data from the ScotGov weekly level allocation review" (published on the Tuesday). A look at the review itself (link) shows that it used the data up to Friday 4 (I had no idea that it used data this far back, so that's news to me. The page says "data published up to 7th December" although the figures only go up to the 4th - perhaps they use the swab date?).

So, let's pull up the Edinburgh case numbers for the week from Saturday 28 November to Friday 4 December (all taken from the TT site): 53, 43, 26, 45, 46, 72, 67. The total of these, i.e. the number of cases over the 7-day period, is 352.

Taking 524,900 (which the TT site uses) as the population figure for Edinburgh City, that gives a 7-day per-100,000 case figure of 352 * 100,000 / 524,900, which works out at 67. That's close enough to the 68 which the review uses.

If it's something else that is causing the confusion, let me know. I must admit that it's pretty difficult to figure out the different bases of the statistics and how they're used, and I'm certainly no expert - I just use the stats that others produce.

Thanks that makes a bit more sense. 

8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Would certainly point that way, anyway 🤞

I don’t think they have lied from what I understand. I believe it wasn’t a single study for the vaccine, it was a number of studies pulled together to get a single result.

That creates some issues, some of the studies had a 55 age cap but not all. So it does have testing on over 55’s not very much though, albeit it has proved more effective in under 55’s. 

The two reactions thing was widely reported as and when it occurred but from everything I have read, was not caused by the vaccine but other issue.

The general view seems to be it works and is safe. I think they have specific issues around what dosing regime and age. The most effective dose was administered by mistake. Whilst some queries around 55+ remain. 

I believe additional testing on dose and age is being undertaken, when due to be completed 🤷🏻‍♂️

They are also looking at combining the Pzifer and Oxford vaccine. I think the theory is they may get the best of both worlds. 

It’s likely that multiple vaccines will be used in the U.K. and this may well be based on your need ie. under 55’s not really impacted by this but can carry it might get Oxford, where over 55’s get the Pzifer as it reduced the impact better but might not prevent onward transmission. 

👍

Brighton Jambo

Could anyone please tell me when the tiers get updated next week?  I have a big birthday on Xmas Eve and am trying to work through all the options I may have for a night out with the wife.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, JyTees said:

No, she's responsible for Scotland's shitshow, which you and your ilk are unable, or refuse to comprehend, so you make stupid stuff up...like this.

Fecking Sturgeon. :yadayada:

Regarding Tuesday's decision to not move Edinburgh down to Tier 2, here's the data sheet that they used to make that decision:

Edinburgh.thumb.jpg.7718b7b5cce41532de59490ab8798de1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Thanks that makes a bit more sense. 

Only a bit? Keep on at me until it starts to make far more sense. I don't mind. :)

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I sort of need to move on anyway at some point.  Regardless of CV.  The boss is a ****ing weirdo and a total enigma.  Decent most of the time but an utter bellend some of the time.  New job will have to wait until a future date.

Open your own Emporium of Shite then you get to be the bellend. 

Win-win.

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Why ? I'm having a whale of a time.

Some posters getting a bit crabby about it. They clearly think it’s a load of pollocks. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Some posters getting a bit crabby about it. They clearly think it’s a load of pollocks. 

I certainly do. We're trying to keep up a serious thread but it's the salmon here every time I come on - more fishy puns!

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Open your own Emporium of Shite then you get to be the bellend. 

Win-win.

:D

Was thinking about becoming a business seller on ebay.  Still trying to formulate the right blend of product,  volume,  margins,  postage,  returns,  stock supply,  etc.

Small items of lowish value,  reasonable volume,  enough margin to be competitive and offer FOC postage,  something that wont break or go faulty to minimise returns.  Something to provide modest profits without 15 hour working days.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

:seething:

The next poster to use a fish pun is getting a haddocken.

ffs

:facepalm:

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Was thinking about becoming a business seller on ebay.  Still trying to formulate the right blend of product,  volume,  margins,  postage,  returns,  stock supply,  etc.

Small items of lowish value,  reasonable volume,  enough margin to be competitive and offer FOC postage,  something that wont break or go faulty to minimise returns.  Something to provide modest profits without 15 hour working days.

Hookers and 'research chemicals'?

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Grumpy *******s, life is what you mako of it. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Sounds like a plan!

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:seething:

The next poster to use a fish pun is getting a haddocken.

ffs

:facepalm:

😂 never mind, you’ll be away working soon enough. You must be looking forward to being squids in again. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

It's a shame when a traumatic period that could have resulted in greater social cohesion and understanding has turned into one when our eyes have been opened as to how many completely egoistic and antisocial wallopers there are out there. I had no idea personally that there were so many.

I'm sad to say, I'm not surprised in the least.

28 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sturgeon was squirming today when questioned about Edinburgh not being moved to tier 2. 

She did her usual deflect and saying the same thing over and over again. “It’s about suppressing this highly contagious virus” blah blah blah bullshite. 

Anyways unless she is the most stubborn ***** that has ever lived then there is no way she can’t move Edinburgh down a tier next week. 

She really is a horrible *****. But I think the pressure is mounting now and she has almost no choice to lower us to tier 2, you’d think. 

Just now, redjambo said:

Sounds like a plan!

You never know.  Just a matter of finding the right niche,  albeit pretty much everything is well covered by the huge volume sellers.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Sounds like you want to become a drop shipper. 

No.  I would operate more conventionally that drop shipping.  Just source and store stock and resell.

40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So social distancing rules aren’t being enforced in supermarkets, Mac Donald or chippies maybe these places should do something about it. 

Social distancing with school kids is non existent as is mask wearing.  Its no wonder that schools are riddled.

Konrad von Carstein
17 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sturgeon talks a good game but with very little , if any, substance.  In reality,  she has made exactly the same catastrophic mistakes and misjudgments that Boris has. She also runs a tyrannical operation, with a compliant media, and has a propensity for not minuting meetings, obfuscation and spending tax payers money, rUK taxpayers included,  on all sorts of pet projects for personal gain. Next time she whines about "respecting the will of the Scooaaatish parliament ", remember how she treats the same Parliament when votes go against her.

Behave!

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Social distancing with school kids is non existent as is mask wearing.  Its no wonder that schools are riddled.

I heard some of these wee feckers on the bus the other day.  Discussing coronavirus stuff.  One of them was proudly going on about not giving a **** about what he does as the only person he cares about is his mum... as he was huddled in a close group of about 12 with not a mask or brain cell in sight.

Edited by Victorian

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I heard some of these wee feckers on the bus the other day.  Discussing coronavirus stuff.  One of them was proudly going on about not giving a **** about wgat he does as the only person he cares about is his mum... as he was huddled in a close group of about 12 with not a mask or brain cell in sight.

It must be kraken you up. 😡

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Flounder has been used too much. 

The next person to use it deserves a kick in the tentacles......

I trout it, you don’t have the mussels. 

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I heard some of these wee feckers on the bus the other day.  Discussing coronavirus stuff.  One of them was proudly going on about not giving a **** about what he does as the only person he cares about is his mum... as he was huddled in a close group of about 12 with not a mask or brain cell in sight.

They’ve got a bit of a bass neck some of these kids. 

Outbreak at Borders General Hospital where ward 7 (surgical) has been shut because 8 patients & a small number of staff have caught covid-19.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-55244775

What the story dosen't tell you is that this was a disaster waiting to happen, because the policy at the BGH was not to test any new admissions, so it comes as no shock that there is now an outbreak of Covid-19 outwith the Covid wards, Stevie Wonder could see what was going to happen when you didn't test new admissions, it was only a matter of time before someone with covid was placed on an ordinary ward.

There are real concerns that the virus will spread to other wards within the hospital now.

Just now, Lord BJ said:

COVID testing to be introduced to hotspots in London at high schools. 

I wonder if some new data/study broke as this is hard on heels of Wales decision 

Talk of London going into tier 3 as there has been a big rise in cases over the last few days/week.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

COVID testing to be introduced to hotspots in London at high schools. 

I wonder if some new data/study broke as this is hard on heels of Wales decision 

The test positivity is now highest in 11-18 year olds, so they are introducing mass testing in high schools in 7 London boroughs 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic