Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It most definitely is. I think part of the issue is, for very good reason, we are seeing a lot of the testing happening in front of us. That’s normally done away from the public eye. 

It’s also incredibly easy to draw false conclusions from very small pieces of data/info. 

That's a major issue and is how stories grow arms & legs.

Fairly certain that the person who fell ill on the Oxford trial (not in Brazil) was on the placebo vaccine and therefore their illness had nothing whatsoever to do with a covid vaccine, but we all know how these things get twisted around especially on social media.

The other day I was reading about a woman in the USA who was on the Pfizer trial whose foot developed ulcers & sores and looked horrible.

Once social media got a hold of it, it was all the vaccine isn't safe, there're trying to poison us etc etc.

And once again she was in the placebo group and the problems with her foot had nothing whatsoever to do with the Pfizer vaccine, but of course Karen on fackbook knew better.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

For both it’s about £2,000 a month.

A hell of a lot of money.

It depends on the size of your pub how much you pay, the amount you said is around average.,

SectionDJambo
9 hours ago, sadj said:

Not sure people on either side are saying landlords have suffered. Well not on here at least. Think most have said it is pub staff , the staff at the breweries/suppliers and supplemental industries , security , cleaning etc that have suffered. 

Any independent pubs, and there's not too many left now, must have owners who will be taking a massive hit. How is a family owned business, of any description, supposed to survive on being closed down for 75% of their trading year? We hear that the self employed are getting grants, but we also hear that many have still not been able to source those grants.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Fairly certain that the person who fell ill on the Oxford trial (not in Brazil) was on the placebo vaccine and therefore their illness had nothing whatsoever to do with a covid vaccine, but we all know how these things get twisted around especially on social media.

The other day I was reading about a woman in the USA who was on the Pfizer trial whose foot developed ulcers & sores and looked horrible.

Once social media got a hold of it, it was all the vaccine isn't safe, there're trying to poison us etc etc.

And once again she was in the placebo group and the problems with her foot had nothing whatsoever to do with the Pfizer vaccine, but of course Karen on fackbook knew better.

I saw her on the news last night, she feels a bit silly 😆

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It depends on the size of your pub how much you pay, the amount you said is around average.,

Am I right in saying some are also tied in to certain brewery companies.?

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wee Charlie Flynn, the boxer, is really a woman called Karen on Facebook???????

(Reminds me to unfollow him)

Edited by DETTY29

39 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Correct.

What many fail to appreciate that businesses that cannot operate or are doing so at a loss due to restrictions are still losing money.

Landlords will collect on their rent because they have contracts, and business owners will have to pay for that out of their pockets or shut up shop.  Furlough only covers a percentage of wages of staff, which either the employer tops up or the staff take the hit on their wages.

Talking to my mate yesterday who has a tattoo parlour at Haymarket and he was saying his landlord has been brilliant. 50pc reduction in rent until end of March

39 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Any idea if landlords still have to pay Sky and BT their monthly subscriptions during lockdown?

Need to add in Amazon Prime too.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Landlords will find a way, or they will close.

Punters, especially the old retired blokes that frequent pubs in afternoons, miss out on the social aspect of their local being a place to congregate. Instead of having the bar staff and regulars to have a chat with and keep an eye on them, Auld Jimmy, 84, sits at home, alone. Extreme example, perhaps, and I'd agree that pubs are not the healthiest places to spend your time, but they still form part of the fabric of many people's lives. Extended restrictions on this have serious effects.

In general we have significantly opposing views on lockdown but I agree.  Some older blokes mainly can't just switch from the pub to say a cafe, which is likely even more busy.

I do think however, hospitality and entertainment should have been a time restricted, adult postcode ID booking service* with more spot checks and rule breaks being added to the licencee points system.

That said licencee rules are more local than central govt so maybe couldn't be implemented quickly enough.

*Booking Service didn't have to solely online and for older generation 'regulars' copy of free bus pass and household bill would do, retained by landlord, destroyed - refreshed every 28 days.

Edit, off topic.  I'm an advocate of national id cards.  Nothing to hide and would make certain lifestyle events simpler to access than is just now.

Edited by DETTY29

Carl Fredrickson

I am in Midlothian, level 3 and had booked tickets for Christmas at the Botanics on 18th. Was hoping that we would be moved to level 2 along with Edinburgh so that there was no travel restrictions. 

With the crappy year we have had this was the only festive activity that we would be going to and the kids would love it. 

My dilemma is what to do:

1) Cancel and get a refund

2) Use the offer to rebook for next year

3) Hang off making a decision until next week in case the levels change

4) Ignore the travel advice and go anyway

I have tried to adhere to all guidelines over the last 9 months but now feel that I am ready and prepared to break them,

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

In general we have significantly opposing views on lockdown but I agree.  Some older blokes mainly can't just switch from the pub to say a cafe, which is likely even more busy.

I do think however, hospitality and entertainment should have been a time restricted, adult postcode ID booking service* with more spot checks and rule breaks being added to the licencee points system.

That said licencee rules are more local than central govt so maybe couldn't be implemented quickly enough.

*Booking Service didn't have to solely online and for older generation 'regulars' copy of free bus pass and household bill would do, retained by landlord, destroyed - refreshed every 28 days.

Your first paragraph made me smile because that's where I am.

Coffee and cake.😭

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Am I right in saying some are also tied in to certain brewery companies.?

Most are, you either rent the premises off Heineken or you are tied to them for instance. Hearts are tied to Heineken, they provide the stock and are as unhappy as local landlords/licence holders that they charge so little for pints 😆. They undercut us by a £1 for Birra Morretti for example, fair enough as they’re trying to drum up trade but not great for profits. Different pubs will have different deals, we are allowed to get a certain amount stock from other sources as long as we buy a specific amount every year off Heineken. 
I’m sure this will need to be altered somehow because of the pandemic.  

The Real Maroonblood

Most are, you either rent the premises off Heineken or you are tied to them for instance. Hearts are tied to Heineken, they provide the stock and are as unhappy as local landlords/licence holders that they charge so little for pints 😆. They undercut us by a £1 for Birra Morretti for example, fair enough as they’re trying to drum up trade but not great for profits. Different pubs will have different deals, we are allowed to get a certain amount stock from other sources as long as we buy a specific amount every year off Heineken. 

Thanks for that.

1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I am in Midlothian, level 3 and had booked tickets for Christmas at the Botanics on 18th. Was hoping that we would be moved to level 2 along with Edinburgh so that there was no travel restrictions. 

With the crappy year we have had this was the only festive activity that we would be going to and the kids would love it. 

I have tried to adhere to all guidelines over the last 9 months but now feel that I am ready and prepared to break them,

Ignore and go enjoy yourself. 

I would say half the people that visit there at the moment aren’t from Edinburgh 

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Not sure how old your kids are but Dalkeith country park do a Xmas light show which you could do instead of the Botanics?

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I would probably go for 4. I’m not sure the travel ban was intended for this sort of thing, however, in theory your are breaking rules. 

if anything happen I would just act the daft lady and claim thought has had been booked prior ok etc and thought came under allowable travel

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

Ignore and go enjoy yourself. 

I would say half the people that visit there at the moment aren’t from Edinburgh 

Cheers. It is an outdoor event and no public transport will be used so I would be trying to minimalise the risk. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Not sure how old your kids are but Dalkeith country park do a Xmas light show which you could do instead of the Botanics?

I only found out about the DCP one after I had booked and the kids are looking forward to the Botanics - saw the TV adverts etc. 

DCP is a possibility if i cancel. 

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I have Birra Morretti on in the garden shed boozer at the moment. Absolutely delicious.

6 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. It is an outdoor event and no public transport will be used so I would be trying to minimalise the risk. 

I'd be tempted to just go anyway, mate. Like you said, contact with others will be absolutely minimal. 👍

Edited by Governor Tarkin

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Your first paragraph made me smile because that's where I am.

Coffee and cake.😭

That will be about the price of 3 pints then.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, DETTY29 said:

That will be about the price of 3 pints then.

Not quite but nearly. 

Still saving a fortune but I don't care.

I want a pint or two. 

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Be interesting to see what the responses to Carl would have been if he was a weegie 😷🤔

I have weegie blood in me......

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don't think 3 is an option as if they change next week it then takes another week to come into effect. We had the same issue with Glasgow Botanics event and we gave our tickets away to someone in Glasgow. 

They make the decision on Tuesday 15th and tiers change on 18th, like this week where Glasgow and others go down tomorrow. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have weegie blood in me......

Off course you do, that’s why you’re thinking of breaking the law 😱😜

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not quite but nearly. 

I want a pint or two. 

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Get yourself to the Diggers and get a carry out, £2:50 a pint 😱

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair enough, D. A booking service would not be out of the question in the short term. Good to hear from @Pasquale for King that some places are trying to at least keep in contact. The police coming to the wee event shows how ridiculous this whole situation has become. Imagine getting huckled for trying to be nice.

And if you think we have differing views on lockdown, don't get me started on ID cards ;) 

Most pubs were taking bookings, you could say regulars only for instance sp you know it’s locals etc. 
Im not for ID cards either. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Appreciate the info but not the same as being there.

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not quite but nearly. 

I want a pint or two. 

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Jump on 44 or 26 and get a pint in Musselburgh 😱😱😱

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pint of what though 🤔

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Most pubs were taking bookings, you could say regulars only for instance sp you know it’s locals etc. 
Im not for ID cards either. 

They were taking bookings up here but really didnt give a damn if people joined you. Soul certainly werent and that was after both the Aberdeen players disregarding rules and after the Draft Project made headlines. Every other pub I know of in Aberdeen has been exactly the same (my story yesterday about the Dundonians being a point in case) You need landlords and staff to be diligent and do as asked. They most certainly haven’t been up here. I know two or three pubs where staff have contracted covid and the owner has paid them to go home and tell no one and not done any further staff testing or cleaning 

Edited by sadj

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, sadj said:

They were taking bookings up here but really didnt give a damn if people joined you. Soul certainly werent and that was after both the Aberdeen players disregarding rules and after the Draft Project made headlines. Every other pub I know of in Aberdeen has been exactly the same (my story yesterday about the Dundonians being a point in case) You need landlords and staff to be diligent and do as asked. They most certainly haven’t been up here. I know two or three pubs where staff have contracted covid and the owner has paid them to go home and tell no one and not done any further staff testing or cleaning 

I can only speak for myself and our pub where we did everything we could, we still missed stuff. We can only ask if folk are exempt from wearing masks or how many households they’re from, we have to take it at face value. 
Ive heard a few horror stories and witnessed a few rule breaks. 
In my opinion the attitude of Aberdeen council towards the restrictions has not helped, they should be setting an example and would do if it was coming from the U.K. instead of the SG. 
Ive said all along that pubs are dangerous places as alcohol dulls the senses and folk forget to do the right things, not that closing them has been proven to make much of a difference compared to Universities bringing students back. 

933 cases 

50 deaths registered.

984 people are currently in hospitals across Scotland with the disease, 12 more than yesterday, and 52 of those are being treated in intensive care units.

Deaths pass 4000!

Edited by Boy Daniel

17 hours ago, sadj said:

Maybe they are right and it is indeed dolphinately time to scale back on the fish puns

Somehow missed this last night. Fantastic 😂

I can only speak for myself and our pub where we did everything we could, we still missed stuff. We can only ask if folk are exempt from wearing masks or how many households they’re from, we have to take it at face value. 
Ive heard a few horror stories and witnessed a few rule breaks. 
In my opinion the attitude of Aberdeen council towards the restrictions has not helped, they should be setting an example and would do if it was coming from the U.K. instead of the SG. 
Ive said all along that pubs are dangerous places as alcohol dulls the senses and folk forget to do the right things, not that closing them has been proven to make much of a difference compared to Universities bringing students back. 

Aberdeen council are notorious for bullshit. For instance the transaction that saw Chicago Rock and Jumping Jacks put in the old Capital was emmm lets say underhand. If its not that its personal scandals. Its very poor up here be it Tory , Labour , Lib or SNP. I doubt they would even if they were rules from UK gov as they are entirely a law unto themselves. Adele Sandi’s mum is on the licensing team and she takes no shit but the Council always manage to find in favour of the Pubs who break rules. Its always been like that.

Pasquale for King
Just now, sadj said:

Aberdeen council are notorious for bullshit. For instance the transaction that saw Chicago Rock and Jumping Jacks put in the old Capital was emmm lets say underhand. If its not that its personal scandals. Its very poor up here be it Tory , Labour , Lib or SNP. I doubt they would even if they were rules from UK gov as they are entirely a law unto themselves. Adele Sandi’s mum is on the licensing team and she takes no shit but the Council always manage to find in favour of the Pubs who break rules. Its always been like that.

It seems that way from afar, I think the latest thing is to ask the U.K. government for some sort of funding whilst bypassing the SG. 
The pub where the outbreak started and the celebrations after the Scotland game has been closed down eventually hasn’t it? 
Cases going up as well, or at least similar to Edinburgh. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Somehow missed this last night. Fantastic 😂

surely you mean fintastic , to be fair I was hoping to avoid turtle disaster while i waited on someone to mussel in on the subject , I think im the sole one left making them now unless anyone can do betta

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It seems that way from afar, I think the latest thing is to ask the U.K. government for some sort of funding whilst bypassing the SG. 
The pub where the outbreak started and the celebrations after the Scotland game has been closed down eventually hasn’t it? 
Cases going up as well, or at least similar to Edinburgh. 

Don’t be silly , Draft Project was simply told they arent allowed TVs for a couple of weeks. Draft Project is owned by the Clarksons , same ones that own Soul. 

They really are. I said Adele Sandi , I prob should have said Emeli. Either way the point stands. Her mum takes no shit in licensing and yet all these pubs survive with barely a note on their licenses. 

The city and shire most certainly should not be less than tier 3. Its sweeping through the villages and towns just now up here. Its just not being reported and a lot of people are just not declaring it. A head of department at a private hospital up this way lives locally to me her husband was asymptomatic but it wasnt broadcast aside from her doing a private test on him and sharing it with a couple of close friends. 

Edited by sadj

57 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Time is it open today at for the carry out ? Do they do carry out pints ? 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Don’t be silly , Draft Project was simply told they arent allowed TVs for a couple of weeks. Draft Project is owned by the Clarksons , same ones that own Soul. 

They really are. I said Adele Sandi , I prob should have said Emeli. Either way the point stands. Her mum takes no shit in licensing and yet all these pubs survive with barely a note on their licenses. 

Must’ve picked that up wrong 🙈
No doubt it could be the same way here. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Must’ve picked that up wrong 🙈
No doubt it could be the same way here. 

Draft Project’s occasional licence was due for renewal on Friday, but the decision was delayed until a public hearing could be held today.

It meant the venue was forced to stop serving alcohol over the weekend.

Councillors on the licensing board were tied 3-3 on whether to renew the permission, with convener Marie Boulton casting the deciding vote.

Environmental health and licensing officers did not object to the licence being approved, and neither did the police – although north-east commander Ch Supt George Macdonald did push for a ban on televised sport and the 10pm limit for service.

Licensing convener who decided the vote: ‘ Moment of madness could equally have turned into a level of sadness for an awful lot of people’

Ahead of the decision, Mrs Boulton said: “I’m not taking away from what happened – it was unacceptable but it was a very unique set of circumstances.

“We heard from Mr Scott that they staffed up for that evening but I don’t think it would have mattered if they had doubled, or even tripled, it – the problem was the event itself.

Barry Clarkson was all over it the morning after it happened contacting people he knows to remove the video from their social media. His ex head doorman told him where to go 🤣

Blaming the event as opposed to their managing of customers and tables and number of customers which would have been high for a non social distanced event

Edited by sadj

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Time is it open today at for the carry out ? Do they do carry out pints ? 

We open 4-6 tue-thu, 2-6 fri-sat and 3-5 Sunday. We have 4 pint cartons but also plastic pint glasses if you only want one. We are not allowed to have folk hanging around outside though, that’s why a few pubs have been reprimanded and don’t do it now. 

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Landlords will find a way, or they will close.

Punters, especially the old retired blokes that frequent pubs in afternoons, miss out on the social aspect of their local being a place to congregate. Instead of having the bar staff and regulars to have a chat with and keep an eye on them, Auld Jimmy, 84, sits at home, alone. Extreme example, perhaps, and I'd agree that pubs are not the healthiest places to spend your time, but they still form part of the fabric of many people's lives. Extended restrictions on this have serious effects.

I think point about fabric of peoples lives is important.  I get that when pubs first closed in October (I live in Glasgow) there was a view that just suck it up for the greater good.  But three months later with no end in sight it it really becoming a big deal especially given people can’t go to each other’s houses.  

Having a drink with friends might be seen as a nice to have but when you have been stuck in a house working all week with kids thrown into the mix and that has become the norm for months with shit weather to boot, actually being able to get away and have a drink and talk nonsense becomes more than just a nice to have it becomes a mechanism to release the tension and it’s not there.   To have not been legally allowed to have a drink with a mate for nearly three months is absolutely ridiculous and then they wonder why when restrictions are lifted people rip the arse out of it.  

Pasquale for King

Leonard just asked why other places with similar numbers were in different tiers, the FM didn’t answer that just the same stuff about keeping us all safe, moving places like Glasgow down to tier 3 flies in the face of that. 
A vicious circle, the more people who don’t believe in these restrictions the more they will break them, with Edinburgh suffering more than others. 

Sturgeon going against the advice her scientific advisers gave her. The advisers are still saying Edinburgh should be in level 2

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We open 4-6 tue-thu, 2-6 fri-sat and 3-5 Sunday. We have 4 pint cartons but also plastic pint glasses if you only want one. We are not allowed to have folk hanging around outside though, that’s why a few pubs have been reprimanded and don’t do it now. 

Oh might pop down and get a pint today or the morrow ! 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic