Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Item  on STV news. She was very snippy today at the daily briefing . Even apologizing for being " grumpy". She really is a bundle of fun.. :)  The item was quite scathing about Edinburgh not being placed into level 2.  Some businesses taking the SG to court.  Thats what should be happening. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Item  on STV news. She was very snippy today at the daily briefing . Even apologizing for being " grumpy". She really is a bundle of fun.. :)  The item was quite scathing about Edinburgh not being placed into level 2.  Some businesses taking the SG to court.  Thats what should be happening. 

Not driven by peoples wellbeing then? What businesses are taking them to court? That would be interesting to know. As I said to PfK people can’t behave. You drop the tier people will pile in to Edinburgh especially at this time of year. Its lose lose 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not driven by peoples wellbeing then? What businesses are taking them to court? That would be interesting to know. As I said to PfK people can’t behave. You drop the tier people will pile in to Edinburgh especially at this time of year. Its lose lose 🤷🏻‍♂️

Business survival is very much to do with people’s well being as well. It is lose, lose I agree but if the tier system can’t be administered even handedly then it shouldn’t exist. Like many, it looks to me like she is favouring Glasgow  over Edinburgh. That perception will just encourage people to break the rules whether it’s the truth or not. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Business survival is very much to do with people’s well being as well. It is lose, lose I agree but if the tier system can’t be administered even handedly then it shouldn’t exist. Like many, it looks to me like she is favouring Glasgow  over Edinburgh. That perception will just encourage people to break the rules whether it’s the truth or not. 

I can barely discuss it with the Mrs now because it winds me up.😫

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Think yourself lucky. Mine is a conspiracy theorist and (maybe unsurprisingly) a Tim. Safest just to chat about the weather. 😀

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Think yourself lucky. Mine is a conspiracy theorist and (maybe unsurprisingly) a Tim. Safest just to chat about the weather. 😀

Sounds a good idea.

44 minutes ago, sadj said:

Its not helped when they have experts on tv and they get asked

Will this work for everyone - most it should but there will be exceptions (common knowledge)

How long will it make us resistant to the virus - dont know

Will it stop the spread of the virus - dont know

🤯🤣

I know, does my head in, the media does sometimes, asking the same question of everybody who comes on.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I have to admit that I thought it was stupid that folk were allowed to travel abroad for non-essential purposes during the pandemic, and it still is. Effective measures at home depend on a closed system, not regular reinfection from outside. And advising folk to self-isolate at home isn't going to cut the mustard either since there is very little monitoring that this is actually being done, if that is indeed even possible with the number of folk coming back from abroad.

They could’ve done what Singapore are doing. You travel out the country, you spend £2k for a fortnight in a hotel which is staffed and you’re fully monitored. No ****ing danger are folk from the UK self-isolating. 

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

They could’ve done what Singapore are doing. You travel out the country, you spend £2k for a fortnight in a hotel which is staffed and you’re fully monitored. No ****ing danger are folk from the UK self-isolating. 

Correct approach.

Too much lobbying from the airlines going on I suspect to bypass correct action.  As others point out we are an island and we should be able to lock our ports.

This traffic light system by both the UK and devolved governments was nothing but a completely ineffective fudge.

Edited by frankblack

28 minutes ago, sadj said:

Well dont have a tier system if she isnt going to use it correctly. Simple as that. 

20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Indeed but its just a different level of 5g causes coronavirus. One thing is said someone perceives it a way they want and it becomes the truth. 

I know thats a poor example but it is also accurate. Both of the media and social media. The appropriate questions will not be asked. Our attitude or Edinburgh favouring people will always be they are clearly favouring Glasgow. Look at the lack of reporting on Celtic fans rioting or Rangers having a full house against Leverkusen in March. Both highly irresponsible. If that happened in Edinburgh the media would seize on it. 

Far better taking your own mind and reading seeing what you want positive or negative whatever angle you look at it from at least its your own opinion so valid. Personally I see it as keeping things closed is more sensible but I disagree on any aspect of Glasgow being brought down tiers or lightened up. 

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

LOL. Same here with my partner and others. I might burst a blood vessel or 3...I tend to avoid watching  the daily briefings now. That has helped. 

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Australia and New Zealand do this as well, as far as I am aware. No surprise that all three countries have been far more successful in suppressing the virus than we have.

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well dont have a tier system if she isnt going to use it correctly. Simple as that. 

Used correctly in your opinion though. Thats a valid position to take and you and most on here have a thought process behind their opinion as opposed to a political view on things which is fine.

As I said id rather things were kept a lid on as people can’t be trusted and tbf in Glasgow if they all infect each other and Glasgow slips into the Clyde it isnt a bad thing 😉 I dont agree with bringing Glasgow down a tier and I don’t agree with Aberdeen not being put up. As I said our local supermarket had a case - did a deep clean in 3hours and re-opened. After that told their staff to go get tested but didnt say they want a negative result or you can’t come back. It amounted to do you get tested. Yeah ok then come back. I know three staff who didnt bother their arse to get tested who said yes. Thats a national company not giving a **** about anything except money. How do you police that to then say you are tier should be x , y or z?

Edited by sadj

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Used correctly in your opinion though. Thats a valid position to take and you and most on here have a thought process behind their opinion as opposed to a political view on things which is fine.

As I said id rather things were kept a lid on as people can’t be trusted and tbf in Glasgow if they all infect each other and Glasgow slips into the Clyde it isnt a bad thing 😉 I dont agree with bringing Glasgow down a tier and I don’t agree with Aberdeen not being put up. As I said our local supermarket had a case - did a deep clean in 3hours and re-opened. After that told their staff to go get tested but didnt say they want a negative result or you can’t come back. It amounted to do you get tested. Yeah ok then come back. I know three staff who didnt bother their arse to get tested who said yes. Thats a national company not giving a **** about anything except money. How do you police that to then say your tier should be x , y or z?

A relative of mine works for a supermarket in Aberdeen. A number of the staff tested positive. He only found out when he heard it on the news. You would have thought that the least they could have done was to contact all staff to let them know.

Just now, redjambo said:

A relative of mine works for a supermarket in Aberdeen. A number of the staff tested positive. He only found out when he heard it on the news. You would have thought that the least they could have done was to contact all staff to let them know.

Shocking isn’t it. Is that in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire? This one is Shire. 

The local one here as I said earlier threatened staff with disciplinary procedures if they told anyone. They were telling people it was just a maintenance problem then re-opened three hours later. I know the individual who tested positive her brother is a friend of mine. Hes at Uni in Glasgow so iv been dropping stuff to them in isolation. There is no doubt these things happen all over the country and policing it is not possible imo. 

Indeed but its just a different level of 5g causes coronavirus. One thing is said someone perceives it a way they want and it becomes the truth. 

I know thats a poor example but it is also accurate. Both of the media and social media. The appropriate questions will not be asked. Our attitude or Edinburgh favouring people will always be they are clearly favouring Glasgow. Look at the lack of reporting on Celtic fans rioting or Rangers having a full house against Leverkusen in March. Both highly irresponsible. If that happened in Edinburgh the media would seize on it. 

Far better taking your own mind and reading seeing what you want positive or negative whatever angle you look at it from at least its your own opinion so valid. Personally I see it as keeping things closed is more sensible but I disagree on any aspect of Glasgow being brought down tiers or lightened up. 

Good post. The obvious issue being that politicians play to a large audience and perception is pretty much all that matters to them. Generally It stopped being a public health issue for Uk politicians a while ago and decisions made are now almost all political imo. Very suspect that Edinburgh hasn’t been moved to level 2 and I share the view of others that if infection rates in Glasgow were swapped with Edinburgh. Glasgow would be in level 2. No way of proving that obviously but it is my genuine belief. 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

So as to prevent Dazo from losing the plot altogether, perhaps we should lay off the fishy puns, Jonno. ;)

There is a time and a plaice for me losing the plot Red, this thread isn’t it. 🙂

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thank goodness neither of you are being haddock about it.

I’d halibut forgotten about the risk of Dazo losing the plot on the thread

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, sadj said:

No but by opening it back up you will have more coming to the area. How do you police that? 

How are they going to stop folk from coming into Glasgow from surrounding areas this weekend, or the borders next time the OF play. Its been said that when you try to get on a bus or train they’re asking you where you’re going. We were trusted to not go to the airport, our cases are down. As ira been said if you can’t trust folk not to go, I know they won’t, then the tier system isn’t working. Why should we suffer because they can’t behave themselves?

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thank goodness neither of you are being haddock about it.

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

I’d halibut forgotten about the risk of Dazo losing the plot on the thread

You two are running out of decent fish puns now. Starting to flounder.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, weehammy said:

👍 Nice one. My compliments!

Just a picture off the internet, far too green for my liking.

A poor attempt at self deprecating humour you could say. 

Weakened Offender
8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:muggy:

Tbf I didn't go.

Apart from a couple of pints in Peebles on my birthday and a drink with our meals on wee family break outside Crieff I've been nowhere.

Even when the pubs were temporarily opened in Edinburgh it wasn't the same without the spontaneity.

Yup. I have a wee snide local that was a bit more relaxed 😜 and that was grand. The others were rank. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How are they going to stop folk from coming into Glasgow from surrounding areas this weekend, or the borders next time the OF play. Its been said that when you try to get on a bus or train they’re asking you where you’re going. We were trusted to not go to the airport, our cases are down. As ira been said if you can’t trust folk not to go, I know they won’t, then the tier system isn’t working. Why should we suffer because they can’t behave themselves?

I totally get where you are coming from. As I said I dont agree with Glasgow being lowered. Bollocks they are asking where people are going. As i said earlier my mate has tested positive after meeting two guys who came up from dundee on the train for a piss up. 

Two wrongs don’t make a right though. Lowering Edinburgh won’t help people either. It is all just a mess and has been since it became a political issue in April/May and peoples health became the secondary concern and things became devolved instead of a proper countrywide programme. The mere fact you can travel to different areas and have different rules is stupid. As I said London , you wouldnt even know there was an issue.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I should take this opportunaty to say keep on topic, but I won’t 😜

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Do people think if it wasn’t Christmas, they would have moved Edinburgh down a tier?

Not a chance... Christmas just an excuse  

First it was pubs, then the students, then the schools, then it was Blackpool, now today it was foreign holidays according to leitch

They are going to run out of excuses before long... they tell us anything and we fall for it, none of them have a clue 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You deserve to walk the plankton for that outrageous comment

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I should take this opportunaty to say keep on topic, but I won’t 😜

Maybe they are right and it is indeed dolphinately time to scale back on the fish puns

You deserve to walk the plankton for that outrageous comment

More derailing the thread with your shellfish attitude. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, sadj said:

I totally get where you are coming from. As I said I dont agree with Glasgow being lowered. Bollocks they are asking where people are going. As i said earlier my mate has tested positive after meeting two guys who came up from dundee on the train for a piss up. 

Two wrongs don’t make a right though. Lowering Edinburgh won’t help people either. It is all just a mess and has been since it became a political issue in April/May and peoples health became the secondary concern and things became devolved instead of a proper countrywide programme. The mere fact you can travel to different areas and have different rules is stupid. As I said London , you wouldnt even know there was an issue.

Good points, as was the earlier post. Yesterday dredged up a lot of barely suppressed anger against Glasgow and it’s inhabitants, having had to put up with the OF all these years, their attitude mirroring that of those that got themselves into tier 4 and are keeping us in tier 3. They think they’re above the law and the police do practically nothing about it. As I said earlier it’s not about my work in particular as it doesn’t change anything. It would great if there was a number we could get to and get into a lower tier, but seeing as Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire are around the same they can’t use that either. Just seems we could get to hardly any cases and still be kept in a higher tier because of others. 

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

From the horses mouth why Edinburgh was kept in tier 3

She said: “After Great Glasgow and Clyde, the part of the country with the highest number of daily cases at the moment is Lothian, and within that, Edinburgh, in recent days has seen a bit of an increase in cases.”

The First Minister added: “These are really tough decisions and they are decisions that we take very, very carefully and I hope we will see Edinburgh move down a level in the weeks to come, we will review it again next week but we have to be careful about this or in a few weeks time you will be asking me why we’ve done something that has sent Edinburgh’s case skyrocketing again “ 

You  just cannae win with her . She’s tone death . Didn’t Falkirk not have a similar rise but went down ? 

Why not just accept she is doing what she thinks is best. 

There is no ulterior motive. 

We might not agree with it but it's not us who have to carry the responsibility. 

It's impossible to please everyone. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good points, as was the earlier post. Yesterday dredged up a lot of barely suppressed anger against Glasgow and it’s inhabitants, having had to put up with the OF all these years, their attitude mirroring that of those that got themselves into tier 4 and are keeping us in tier 3. They think they’re above the law and the police do practically nothing about it. As I said earlier it’s not about my work in particular as it doesn’t change anything. It would great if there was a number we could get to and get into a lower tier, but seeing as Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire are around the same they can’t use that either. Just seems we could get to hardly any cases and still be kept in a higher tier because of others. 

That's the thing about viruses, they spread. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

That's the thing about viruses, they spread. 

Wow that’s a great point, apparently you take every precaution to stop it, we haven’t. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Zico said:

My brother lives and works in Singapore and this is exactly what they've done. Their Government have taken strong and decisive action and the authorities don't tolerate folks who don't follow the rules. We had a chance early doors to make this whole thing much less difficult to deal with but we faffed around and the chance was gone  

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My brother lives and works in Singapore and this is exactly what they've done. Their Government have taken strong and decisive action and the authorities don't tolerate folks who don't follow the rules. We had a chance early doors to make this whole thing much less difficult to deal with but we faffed around and the chance was gone  

Sounds like a plan. If only we lived on an island as they do, oh wait 🙈

59 minutes ago, sadj said:

Shocking isn’t it. Is that in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire? This one is Shire. 

The local one here as I said earlier threatened staff with disciplinary procedures if they told anyone. They were telling people it was just a maintenance problem then re-opened three hours later. I know the individual who tested positive her brother is a friend of mine. Hes at Uni in Glasgow so iv been dropping stuff to them in isolation. There is no doubt these things happen all over the country and policing it is not possible imo. 

In the city. Yes indeed, irresponsible placing of profits before people.

23 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We might not agree with it but it's not us who have to carry the responsibility. 

Nonsense.  She is bypassing the science and making things up to suit her political agenda.

Please explain why there are tier 2 areas with higher numbers of cases, and why Glasgow dropped from 4 to 3 with 3 times Edinburgh's cases?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

LOL. Same here with my partner and others. I might burst a blood vessel or 3...I tend to avoid watching  the daily briefings now. That has helped. 

Yesterday and today was the first time for a while. Next one will be next Tuesday.

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We’re just suffering the consequences of something that’s not our fault? 

7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Here is Edinburgh’s problem as I said earlier “students!”  We the general public are carrying the can for their failure to follow the rules. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-covid-latest-pollock-halls-19426110

And who is fiddling their tiers to facilitate this shambles? 🤔

It seems that businesses, public mental health and the economy is just collateral damage to these clowns. 🤡🤡🤡

The decision to keep Edinburgh in Level Three could cost pubs up to £3.2 million in revenue in lost turnover, reports The Scottish Beer & Pub Association (SBPA). 

The Scottish Beer & Pub Association (SBPA) has today said that the decision to keep the City of Edinburgh in Level 3, despite the indicators showing continued improvement, has meant that 185 pubs have had to remain shut. 

Currently, SBPA analysis suggests that only 92 pubs in the city are open in Level 3, if moved to Level 2 that would increase to 277 (60% of Edinburgh’s pubs and bars).

SBPA CEO Emma McClarkin said: “The decision yesterday to keep Edinburgh in Level 3 was absolutely heartbreaking for the 185 pubs and bars that would otherwise have been able to open and start rebuilding their trade.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

And who is fiddling their tiers to facilitate this shambles? 🤔

It seems that businesses, public mental health and the economy is just collateral damage to these clowns. 🤡🤡🤡

Poor students.

The world owes them.

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Exactly , faffing at the start , leaving borders open and appearing to care rather than actually prioritising peoples health over their mates pockets

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It would seem so.

Tbf a lot of students probably can’t spell collateral these days so we can’t blame them for not knowing the damage they are doing to us....😏

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic