Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Is that not a known risk of being self-employed, that you don't really have much of a safety net? One of the guys on my project at work is self employed and gets about twice as much per day as I do but of course doesn't have the pension, sick pay and security etc.

I've often considered it but when I speak to those doing it they've generally advised against it for those reasons.

Totally agree though that society needs to change in that respect, I think any job that has self employed people should be forced to have the option for them to become an employee after, say, 6 months.

I'm in the same position as your colleague. Thankfully, I can do my job remotely so everyone in my office got setup to work from home last week.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bindy Badgy
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gargling-eliminate-coronavirus/

In-laws have been spreading these shite claims on facebook, I'm not even on it and it's worked its way to me. They're about to be told to stop. 

I'll never understand how anyone falls for this shit. If it was that simple it would have been on every news bulletin by now.

The Internet

5 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I'll never understand how anyone falls for this shit. If it was that simple it would have been on every news bulletin by now.

Gullible people who believe everything they read online and are looking for any kind of comfort. A sad and dangerous mix. 

Bindy Badgy
33 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Johnson I suppose could turn this round and he has been getting better recently.

He needs as a minimum to sacrifice Cummings and according to my scientist sister in law, Vallance isn't really up to the job of Chief Scientific Officer either as he is an academic, capitalist rather than a scientist although to me his wiki CV anyway looks scientific to me.

Of course Cummings and Vallance are allies, friends.

America on the other hand, short of a coup are goosed.

The lack of a PhD in his education history is the first thing I noticed after looking at his Wiki page. A PhD is a prerequisite for a research role at a university.

His employment history looks pretty solid though.

heartandsoul
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

She was rightly slated. No grouping up is really not hard to comprehend. Yes they could space out etc...or they could just go and fekkin exercise alone rather than organising a group thing that we've been told not to.

Social distancing is easy generally, the shop thing is going to require better organising because standing in a big fekkin queue is just asking to be infected.

48 hours of amulance shifts for me in the next 5 days, and I'm shit scared of ending up in ICU with my head in a fukkin plastic bubble helmet whilst struggling to breathe!!

Yet some ***** are struggling to sit on their arses in the house!!!

Stay safe and what a fantastic job you do.

AlphonseCapone

I know there are various versions kicking around but I mocked up a quick deaths per million population in UK and Italy since the first death in Italy. It plots the UK 14 days behind Italy. The trends are of course the same but it adds slightly more context in terms of population. 

Screenshot_20200322_124512.jpg

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gargling-eliminate-coronavirus/

In-laws have been spreading these shite claims on facebook, I'm not even on it and it's worked its way to me. They're about to be told to stop. 

If the gargle is also laced with arsenic it will do the trick … certainly Coronavirus will not be a worry for you anymore!

5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I know there are various versions kicking around but I mocked up a quick deaths per million population in UK and Italy since the first death in Italy. It plots the UK 14 days behind Italy. The trends are of course the same but it adds slightly more context in terms of population. 

Screenshot_20200322_124512.jpg

We have very similar population circa 60 million each. So with the death rates tied up the cases per million would be too.

We can expect another 300 deaths in UK today to follow Italys trend at this stage 2 weeks ago.

Edited by hughesie27

Just now, hughesie27 said:

We have very similar population circa 60 million each. So with the death rates tied up the cases per million would be too.

Would the average age of the Italian population compared to the UK come into this?

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Would the average age of the Italian population compared to the UK come into this?

Yes it would but that doesn't suit the narrative.

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

We can expect another 300 deaths in UK today to follow Italys trend at this stage 2 weeks ago.

Indeed, UK is 66. 4 million and Italy is 60.5 million. That's still a Scotland size difference though so the most recent day shows a slight gap rather than being exactly the same as the raw 233 number would.

The trends what matters though aye and we are going the same way, just thought it might be of interest to folk that haven't seen it as a rate. 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Prison time

If this is true (the Govt have denied it but Shipman is well connected) then it's a mea culpa for me as I perhaps naively assumed the Government would not contemplate a policy that would knowingly kill thousands of people, particularly a group that are a key demographic of the Tory vote.

Also, Government policy was supposedly aligned with non Government appointees like the CMO, CSO and we were told that the devolved Governments and National Clinical Directors were all in broad consensus with the science and Government approach. 

There has to be an investigation here into how the Governments approach was arrived at; why the NHS was not properly prepared for the upcoming impact on hospital beds and ICU's, why health professionals have not been given the proper protective equipment to safeguard their own health and why the information given to the public has been so inadequate to ensure they are following the necessary guidelines to safeguard their own and others health.

The mother of all scandals is brewing here.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Absolutely. The detail is key here. Unfortunately I can't find that anywhere or I'd be happy to play around with it. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Yes it would but that doesn't suit the narrative.

What/who's narrative?

People refer to Italy's large Chinese leather industry population and their much older average age... yet there is still a remarkable similarity in the rate of climb as every day passes.    So I would suggest that a large Chinese population and an older average age should not be viewed as a source of comfort,    rather they might instead indicate a source of concern.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

People refer to Italy's large Chinese leather industry population and their much older average age... yet there is still a remarkable similarity in the rate of climb as every day passes.    So I would suggest that a large Chinese population and an older average age should not be viewed as a source of comfort,    rather they might instead indicate a source of concern.

I don't think we will get to the Italy levels mate  Might be wishful thinking though

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Plus factor in their much better health system as well..

Surely that has an impact on numbers? 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

I don't think we will get to the Italy levels mate  Might be wishful thinking though

I dearly hope what you hope.   But is there a reason to believe the lines on that graph will deviate at some point in the next 14 days?    I can't think of one.

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Absolutely. The detail is key here. Unfortunately I can't find that anywhere or I'd be happy to play around with it. 

According to wiki the average age of Italy is 45.5. 40.5 for the UK.

Now, that could mean that there are simply more older people there than here. 

But why? 

Perhaps they have a better health care system and in general a healthier population, that wouldn't be good news for the UK.

Edit. I see these points have already been made.

Edited by hughesie27

1 minute ago, robbo1874 said:

Plus factor in their much better health system as well..

Surely that has an impact on numbers? 

Yep.   Our NHS people are unfathomably brave and determined but the awful reality is that graph.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I dearly hope what you hope.   But is there a reason to believe the lines on that graph will deviate at some point in the next 14 days?    I can't think of one.

Unless we go into full lockdown as they did 2 weeks ago then they will just get worse.

Hopefully their figures start to go down over the next few days which will show that the Lockdown is working.

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

What/who's narrative?

Sorry it's the opposite of what I made it sound like 

We have a younger population than Italy yet are tracking similar number of deaths which is a worry.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

According to wiki the average age of Italy is 45.5. 40.5 for the UK.

In theory that could mean that there are some more older people there that here. 

But why? 

Perhaps they have a better health care system and in general a healthier population, that wouldn't be good news for the UK.

They consistently bang on about a Mediterranean diet being good for you, while ours is, er, not quite so good. Considering those with heart disease appear to have the highest mortality rate, that doesn't bode well for Scotland as a whole and, I believe, Glasgow specifically. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Yep.   Our NHS people are unfathomably brave and determined but the awful reality is that graph.

Let's hope the Italians have made some glaring errors that we've thought of that might mitigate these factors.

I'm really feeling quite anxious about my parents. They're right in that firing line..🤞☹️

Jambo-Jimbo
50 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

They still won't listen.They need it taken away and then some will still try and flaunt it 

Absolutely, just look at what happened the other day in Australia, hundreds/thousands decended upon Bondi Beach, but now it's being reported that several of them have tested postitive for coronavirus.

What I believe part of the problem is, that way too many people think they won't get it and even if they do it's only like a mild flu, that they won't pass it onto their parents or grandparents, no that sort thing happens to other people not them.

And I also agree that some people will think that the rules don't apply to them, rules are for other people not them, take the guy the other day who totally refused to self-isolate when he arrived on the Isle of Man, I wonder if he still thinks that the rules don't apply to him, on day 3 or 4 of being locked up for 14 days.

Welsh government has just said that they may introduce laws meaning that they can enforce social distancing, because people are not listening.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Unless we go into full lockdown as they did 2 weeks ago then they will just get worse.

Hopefully their figures start to go down over the next few days which will show that the Lockdown is working.

So that's yet another reason to add concern.    On the same track despite all the qualifying comparisons which do not appear to be in our favour.   I can think of others as well.

I don't want to just become fatalistic but what is there in our favour?    

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

So that's yet another reason to add concern.    On the same track despite all the qualifying comparisons which do not appear to be in our favour.   I can think of others as well.

I don't want to just become fatalistic but what is there in our favour?    

The only thing that I can think off, that I'm clutching on to, and I'm not even sure if it makes a difference, is they had one massive cluster in a smaller region that was allowed to spread unchecked for ages. Ours appears to be smaller pockets, more distanced apart. I'm hoping as long as people follow social distancing, ours won't spread as much. 

Fire_At_The_Disco

Anybody else’s hands seriously drying out?

I'm now having to moisturise every time I wash my hands .... I’m a builder ffs it’s really sore 😭

Just now, Normthebarman said:

The only thing that I can think off, that I'm clutching on to, and I'm not even sure if it makes a difference, is they had one massive cluster in a smaller region that was allowed to spread unchecked for ages. Ours appears to be smaller pockets, more distanced apart. I'm hoping as long as people follow social distancing, ours won't spread as much. 

Possibly.   That could explain the initial divergence before the exponential acceleration kicked in.    

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely, just look at what happened the other day in Australia, hundreds/thousands decended upon Bondi Beach, but now it's being reported that several of them have tested postitive for coronavirus.

What I believe part of the problem is, that way too many people think they won't get it and even if they do it's only like a mild flu, that they won't pass it onto their parents or grandparents, no that sort thing happens to other people not them.

And I also agree that some people will think that the rules don't apply to them, rules are for other people not them, take the guy the other day who totally refused to self-isolate when he arrived on the Isle of Man, I wonder if he still thinks that the rules don't apply to him, on day 3 or 4 of being locked up for 14 days.

Welsh government has just said that they may introduce laws meaning that they can enforce social distancing, because people are not listening.

I think they need to emphasise more that just cause you are young doesn't mean you will get a mild response to the virus.From what I'm led to believe moderate is pretty fecking shit and after that you don't what to be thinking about how that is cause it horrendous.The message needs to be stronger but then they are probably worried about the workforce freaking out.

Government is trying to push through emergency legislation to give itself sweeping powers to deal with the crisis.

This is a good thing.

BUT

They're trying to put a 2 year time duration on it, so either they're expecting this to drag on for two years or they're hoping it's only going to last a few months then keep these powers for doing whatever they want.

Cross-party amendments are being put forward, with parliament as a whole demanding that these powers are forced to be continued with a commons vote every 3 months, which is the sensible way to do this.

7 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I'm now having to moisturise every time I wash my hands .... I’m a builder ffs it’s really sore 😭

You can find non-alcoholic hand sanitizer.

It's the alcohol drying your skin.

Just now, Cade said:

Government is trying to push through emergency legislation to give itself sweeping powers to deal with the crisis.

This is a good thing.

BUT

They're trying to put a 2 year time duration on it, so either they're expecting this to drag on for two years or they're hoping it's only going to last a few months then keep these powers for doing whatever they want.

Cross-party amendments are being put forward, with parliament as a whole demanding that these powers are forced to be continued with a commons vote every 3 months, which is the sensible way to do this.

Definitely,is it not called a sunset clause? 

10 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Yeah

Bindy Badgy
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Have a look at what Iran's leader said.   Ffs.

And that is how you kill thousands of your own countrymen

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/22/coronavirus-iran-conspiracy-theory-141188

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Iran’s supreme leader refused U.S. assistance Sunday to fight the new coronavirus, citing an unfounded conspiracy theory that the virus could be man-made by America.

Bindy Badgy
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

The most effective way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is by frequently cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water.

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

It has to be 60% alcohol based though or it's no good.

You could read in that a 2 year timetable could be based on the expected time to produce a fully tested vaccine and to roll it out.    But that doesn't exclude the possibility that the overall situation could be much better once experimental treatments come online,    capacity is increased in the hospitals and,   as a byproduct,   herd immunity results from an unavoidable wholescale exposure.

No sanitizer for most people. 

The stuff isn't available anywhere. Soap is absolutely fine. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

This is a good thing.

BUT

Unless parliament has to close?

The idea that they are conspiring to give themselves the power to do whatever they want after Coronavirus is dealt with sounds a wee bit paranoid to me.

Edited by Francis Albert

14 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Yeah I was getting a bit OCD about it then I seen on the news last night you have not to become OCD about it.Wash them but don't be mental about it is the advice.Jist try not to touch your face until you have washed them.

Folk thinking they are on holiday car parks full down the east coast.Alandas chip van down there selling food and no doubt be ice cream vans 😒

I've not touched any alcohol handwash. Not because I'm being edgy as ****, but because there simply isn't any.  I've just been washing my hands thoroughly if and when I'm coming in from being at any shop or handling door knobs outside of our home.  Making sure i never put my hands next to my face.  The taps get periodically sprayed with anti bac.  That alcohol soap seriously does damage to your skin. I have known people to leave blood donor centres and other medical jobs simply because the soap destroys their skin to such an extent that the pain and dermatitis vastly out weighs the benefits.

Edited by BlackJAC?

Been in the house all day apart from handing my mum her presents in. (She isn't in the vulnerable group before anyone starts)

Heads already bursting with boardom. 

Lots of morons have stuffed their camper vans full of food and bog roll and have crammed into holiday parks and campsites across the nation to sit out the crisis.

End result is large gatherings of people at the communal shower blocks and laundry rooms, the exact opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.

People really are thick.

Fire_At_The_Disco
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Been in the house all day apart from handing my mum her presents in. (She isn't in the vulnerable group before anyone starts)

Heads already bursting with boardom. 

We bought a dartboard yesterday, I’m no darts player but it takes care of a few hours

Fire_At_The_Disco
13 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Yeah I was getting a bit OCD about it then I seen on the news last night you have not to become OCD about it.Wash them but don't be mental about it is the advice.Jist try not to touch your face until you have washed them.

Yes mate I think I’ve turned ocd... I’ll back off a wee bit and see if it helps 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic