Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

I'm not here trying to take a swipe at anybody who says they have trouble staying indoors for however long this takes. I mean what can we say but boohoo. It's unpalatable to me as well but this is a catastrophe unparalleled in our lifetimes. My preferences likes/dislikes are irrelevant. 

A situation which demands isolation for the sake of millions of lives. Anyone defying this instruction simply because it's uncomfortable for them is being a real dick.

And we're likely to see factors a lot worse than simply having to stay indoors come into play before this thing is over.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Italy have now closed down all non essential industries, and banned any sort of exercise outdoors. 

There's a doctor on TV just now saying the UK rates of high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity in comparison to China means deaths will also be higher. It's not all bad news though because immediate changes in diet, nutrition and lifestyle can improve your chances of survival if you get the virus. In short cut out junk/processed food, lose excess fat and get plenty of sleep.

Tommy Brown
On 09/03/2020 at 18:12, maroonlegions said:
Image may contain: possible text that says 'Coronavirus is spreading... China Closes schools, deep cleans whole towns, sets up emergency hospitals. Italy Quarantines infected areas, suspends public transport, cancels large events. England + Buys all the toilet paper...'

On 09/03/2020 at 22:29, Notts1874 said:

Maybe we should be learning from Japan.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ESshSpfWAAECPLR.png

5 hours ago, BlackJAC? said:

Batten down dem hatches folks. 😬

We have known for 11 days, we were on the same trajectory, we really shouldn't be surprised.

our death figures to add  20/3/20 - 177,  21/3/20 - 233

We needed tougher restrictions quicker. 

I dare say, the feeling was to work it in to Joe Public, too quick may have bad reaction.

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I dare say, the feeling was to work it in to Joe Public, too quick may have bad reaction.

And maybe they were correct about that? Even here we're seeing people saying they can't stay inside despite the fact potentially millions of lives are at stake. Even after we know this is turning into a catastrophe.

I have seen other on other forums state they simply wont do it. Presumably they don't give a toss that this is a catastrophe with lives at stake.

Edited by JFK-1

36 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

If you judge mental robustness on being able to sit about doing nothing then no I don't. 

If you judge it on passing P Company, having the mental drive to jump out of an aircraft with best part of 100kg strapped to you, completing the 3 UK peaks in 24 hours whilst pretty much driving the whole thing in between, tabbing 27miles carrying about 45kg which took 14 hours then I have plenty. 

I'm just not the type of person that usually sits about, so I'm just saying it would affect me mentally. Reading and stuff isn't really my thing.

You don't have to sit around. DIY stores are doing a roaring trade, get yourself what you need to complete all the little or even big jobs that need done in the house.

It seems like you're used to being active and like a challenge, start designing an indoor fitness regime that will keep you occupied during the shutdown, and get hold of any equipment you might need.

The lockdown is coming, do what you can to prepare now. 

40 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

If you judge mental robustness on being able to sit about doing nothing then no I don't. 

If you judge it on passing P Company, having the mental drive to jump out of an aircraft with best part of 100kg strapped to you, completing the 3 UK peaks in 24 hours whilst pretty much driving the whole thing in between, tabbing 27miles carrying about 45kg which took 14 hours then I have plenty. 

I'm just not the type of person that usually sits about, so I'm just saying it would affect me mentally. Reading and stuff isn't really my thing.

I called it wrong last night and I'm sorry for that. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it but do appreciate people find different things hard that others find easy. 

Салатные палочки

Typical that the weather has improved now. Can't even get out a walk today. 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I called it wrong last night and I'm sorry for that. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it but do appreciate people find different things hard that others find easy. 

Its cool mate. Likewise for me. I guess its a chance to learn a second language (or at least try to start) or do some other stuff i've wanted to learn about but never seem to have a chance to.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think most of us are going to find it tedious at a bare minimum. What get's me is i'm seeing people here and there who are actively intending to flout it. Like they're entitled to put countless lives at risk because they don't like being indoors.

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

I'm going out for a walk with my wife.

We'll take a walk down to Crammond

We won't be mixing with anyone.

Can't see what's wrong with that. 

We're not putting anyone at risk doing that, as long as we follow the guidelines

None of us have any symptoms

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Nothing wrong with going out a walk or run. 

Take advantage while you can as full lockdown is coming soon.

As I said as long as you follow the guidelines

Today will probably be a record for people walking around their local fields, woods ect 

As was said before it’s much easier to stay indoors during dark winter months when weather is bad but now it’s lighter mornings and night lots more people out 

Comparing being stuck in doors to the sacrifice our war heroes made is a pointless exercise. Just because they are worlds apart doesn't mean people can't justifiably be concerned about how they will cope.

You could be spending 2 months confined to a spacious house with a private garden and all of the channels in the world at your disposal with your high speed Internet and your family alongside you.

You could also be spending that 2 months in a tiny box flat on your own with nothing but a grotty window to look out off and perhaps some free view TV, a tiny fridge that needs replenished regularly and not a soul to communicate with other than the checkout lady.

This will be a huge issue mentally for 1000s.

That's not even taking into account that you or your loved ones could also get seriously ill.

Edited by hughesie27

55 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

I'm going out for a walk with my wife.

We'll take a walk down to Crammond

We won't be mixing with anyone.

Can't see what's wrong with thaencout. 

We're not putting anyone at risk doing that, as long as we follow the guidelines

None of us have any symptoms

You are allowed to and for now encouraged to keep healthy but you must keep your distance and follow hygiene guidance.

Must stress for now but wouldn't be surprised if this changes.

Edit with weather improving and clocks due to turn soon I'll probably do as early as possible in morning when fewer folk about.

Edited by DETTY29

Tommy Brown
47 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Go for it, mate

Way your hands

Be aware of what you touch, keep your hands away from your face.

Keep a social distance.

Each you hands on return

When we go full lockdown. You’ll still have to get to your work and to buy food. 
When Italy went lockdown they did the above plus people were allowed out to exercise (walk/run)

And folk say 'don't bring politics in to this as we need to stick together'

Yes, but the politicians need to be held to account too.

54 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Its cool mate. Likewise for me. I guess its a chance to learn a second language (or at least try to start) or do some other stuff i've wanted to learn about but never seem to have a chance to.

Another language is a great shout. I've set my isolation aims a little low (airfix models and play Xbox 😂). Might give learning guitar another go.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Another language is a great shout. I've set my isolation aims a little low (airfix models and play Xbox 😂). Might give learning guitar another go.

I'll end up just sitting around playing Cod :lol:

Was planning on getting the kids back out on their bikes and going for nice bike rides as one of the Doctors advised but obviously if it is a total lockdown then that will probably be replaced by fortnite fortnite fortnite :lol:

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Prison time

Tommy Brown
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

You taking this home isolated drinking a bit too seriously...?

:lol:

Phone typing is a bitch

:facepalm:

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I take it you both vote Tory, Brexit and love Boris.

Yes - Yes and I don't love him.

👍👍👍

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Yes - Yes and I don't love him.

👍👍👍

:D That's up to you. But the :devil-smiley-029: will collect.

I was gonnae make a wee joke Dawnie but others would probably go all offended, bud.

👍

10 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Isn't he right though? You can't self-isolate AND work the fields?

Of course you can, the likelyhood of meeting someone within 2 meters are eaily avoided, particularly in large fields, families can nomonate quads and tractors to individuals, it's easily managed. It's the start of Laming time, does he think farmers are going to abandon ewes and lambs in fields and sheds, if its Ok for people to walk a dog, go for a run, go to the shops is it to much to ask that farmers can go to work, it's got to be a "crital occupation" now? The idea that farmers are not or should carry on is ludicrous. 

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was gonnae make a wee joke Dawnie but others would probably go all offended, bud.

👍

👍I understand your predicament, so many people looking to be offended.

23 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

but obviously if it is a total lockdown then that will probably be replaced by fortnite fortnite fortnite :lol:

Think it will be longer than that.

Day 8 of being in quarantine here. I’m amazed the UK hasn’t gone into lockdown yet considering you’ve been watching what has happened over the last couple of weeks in Italy and here in Spain. 

Hundreds upon hundreds queueing to get into my local Tescos.

The message about panic buying simply isn’t being listened to.

1 minute ago, The Roller said:

Hundreds upon hundreds queueing to get into my local Tescos.

The message about panic buying simply isn’t being listened to.

Because people are morons. 

They talked about Cummings on the Marr show.    He was fully behind an all-out herd immunity policy based on a model of 100,000 UK deaths.    There was a momentous meeting with the various experts when the updated forecasts from models predicted 250,000 to 500,000 deaths.    He is said to have fully flip-flopped to being for lockdown instead.

It's just not acceptable for an essentially lay-adviser to have the level of influence that he does.     A lot of emphasis has been placed on other advisers of specific expertise and that must be the case but Cummings should not be making enormous decisions in this crisis.    This goes beyond,   way beyond,   his sphere of expertise.    Like him or loathe him he does have skills to have a major say in the way a government operates in normal times.    He has no place in making critical decisions in a global public health emergency.

Dagger Is Back

No idea where this ‘it’s not acceptable to go out for a walk’ etc this is coming from.

At the moment I’d be filling my boots before they inevitable happens

Get out on your bike and go for a cycle, go for a run, jump in the car, park up and go for a walk

Just stay your distance and wash your paws.

Some woman was slated on social media for suggesting that a local group meet up in a park for some yoga

Keeping fit and active for physical and mental well being will be so important 

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm not here trying to take a swipe at anybody who says they have trouble staying indoors for however long this takes. I mean what can we say but boohoo. It's unpalatable to me as well but this is a catastrophe unparalleled in our lifetimes. My preferences likes/dislikes are irrelevant. 

A situation which demands isolation for the sake of millions of lives. Anyone defying this instruction simply because it's uncomfortable for them is being a real dick.

Out of interest, how do you work out that this is a catastrophe unparalleled in our lifetimes? 

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They talked about Cummings on the Marr show.    He was fully behind an all-out herd immunity policy based on a model of 100,000 UK deaths.    There was a momentous meeting with the various experts when the updated forecasts from models predicted 250,000 to 500,000 deaths.    He is said to have fully flip-flopped to being for lockdown instead.

It's just not acceptable for an essentially lay-adviser to have the level of influence that he does.     A lot of emphasis has been placed on other advisers of specific expertise and that must be the case but Cummings should not be making enormous decisions in this crisis.    This goes beyond,   way beyond,   his sphere of expertise.    Like him or loathe him he does have skills to have a major say in the way a government operates in normal times.    He has no place in making critical decisions in a global public health emergency.

He shouldn’t be making any decisions, he’s an adviser

Can I ask, what skills does he have?

Салатные палочки

Asked her if she wanted to go a walk down the harbour. Answer was no, she doesn't want to risk it. Fair enough I suppose. 

I've taken the car to the car wash, and I'll go out and vacuum it later for a bit of fresh air. 

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

When you bring in these people to win elections, they want paying.

4 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Well he is running the UK government, so persuasion and possibly blackmail? Pay the Piper!

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Spectator says we should give Cummings a break.

His wife is a commissioning editor for The er, Spectator.

I can fully understand people finding it difficult.  I re bought a ps4 because TV is shit, only so much Netflix you can watch, every non shite channel on tv is information overload.  The only escape from it all has been the console.

45 year old and I'll have a gaming addiction after this 😂

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

He is said to be very skilled in terms of strategy and analytics.   Supposedly very gifted in certain fields.    Fair enough.    Don't like him but willing to accept he has a skill set.

He should not be above the CMO and CSA in the chain of command.    Even those men are not autonomous to make the calls.    They are government appointees obliged to do the government's bidding.        'The science' is not in charge of this.    'The science' has a big input but it is can be cherry picked and over-ruled.

AlphonseCapone
8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Please stop arguing with each other. 

About our situation, the one all alive human beings face, we are all going to have to do it.

Please, please, scale back arguing. 

5 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

You Scottish Nationalists can't even see it coming, can you.

Well done, 3 hours. 

A cracking thread seems to have detoriated since the political geniuses and Francis "my opinion is the opposite of yours on every subject" Albert appeared. 

51 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

The current government won't last long when the deaths are in 3 figures a day and if this is correct and comes out.

Certainly Johnson and Cummings though they perhaps have a ready made replacement in Rishi Sunak. 

The Internet
5 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

I can fully understand people finding it difficult.  I re bought a ps4 because TV is shit, only so much Netflix you can watch, every non shite channel on tv is information overload.  The only escape from it all has been the console.

45 year old and I'll have a gaming addiction after this 😂

And it's only been 1 full day since part-lockdown was announced :lol:

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Well done, 3 hours. 

A cracking thread seems to have detoriated since the political geniuses and Francis "my opinion is the opposite of yours on every subject" Albert appeared. 

I apologise to everyone, I just bit to a post I shouldn't have. Won't happen again. :thumb:

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What a load of shite. And for political bias see the post with thumbs above.

I take it you both vote Tory, Brexit and love Boris.

Here, have another 👎

It’s a load of shite because you don’t agree ?

Self employed or otherwise you should have something in place if the worst happens and you can’t earn. It’s your responsibility to look after yourself and your family, not the governments. It’s that expectation that is wrong in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Self employed or otherwise you should have something in place if the worst happens and you can’t earn. It’s your responsibility to look after yourself and your family, not the governments. It’s that expectation that is wrong in my opinion. 

I expect nothing from no one. I never have. But I disagree when people who have everything, want more and more for free, then moan when they have to pass it on.

Richard Branson for example and rich Tory front benchers collecting expenses for things they can afford.

Anyway, I'll be working and if I have to, fighting.

Edited by ri Alban

26 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Out of interest, how do you work out that this is a catastrophe unparalleled in our lifetimes? 

Out of interest how can you even say that?

You perhaps have memories I don't. When was the last time we had this level of societal  and economic disruption on a global scale?

With the possibility of many thousands and perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe even millions of deaths resulting.

I can remember absolutely nothing like this in my lifetime and i'm 59. This is a historic event. Well to most it is but apparently not you?

Edited by JFK-1

Minister saying that millions of antibody tests coming in "in the coming weeks".

The coming 2-3 weeks?     The coming 27 weeks?    Unfortunately Marr did not attempt to get a narrowed down answer.

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’ve honestly never ever read so much shite in my life. There’s no point even in a serious reply because you’re just so much out of touch with many people’s everyday reality.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic