Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

We are on exact same path as Italy. 

233 Deaths at same stage. 

Screenshot_20200321-174221_Twitter.thumb.jpg.585c933690d98b81142cd4afa70deca4.jpg

From what I can work out, we've reacted quicker than they did with businesses being closed, by about 3 days. Dunno how much that will affect our numbers 2 weeks from now. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, Kila 👍

You may remember the exchange we had the other night, regarding my nephew?  Turns out, as he was considered to be in the ‘at risk’ category, Sainsbury’s have given him 12 weeks off, on full pay.  So, nothing dodgy as we had originally feared.

Great to hear that Morgan, makes me happy I've been a longterm shopper there. I notice Sainsbury's down at Gorgie (hate calling it the Murrayfield branch!) does a lot with disabled/learning difficulties folk in the community and they have had big posters of them on the wall by the entrance. Much to their glee any time I've walked by the entrance the same time as any of them. I don't know anyone who works there but glad to hear the company treats their staff with the same respect they seemingly show the community.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not all old people who catch it die. Almost all who do have underlying conditions so the fact that few of great age survive isn't really surprising. 

Yes FA, we know you are a half glass empty kind of guy. I can picture you popping children's balloons while telling them all good things must come to an end.

The point in these stories is something positive instead of negativity.

Edited by kila

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

From what I can work out, we've reacted quicker than they did with businesses being closed, by about 3 days. Dunno how much that will affect our numbers 2 weeks from now. 

but we haven’t locked down totally.. still too much interaction

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Stay safe and well whoever you are.

Spain and France are on total lockdown and you can't even leave the house without documentation.

You and a few others on this thread try and post as much sensationalist pish as you can. I'm sure it's to deliberately try and scare people.

Anyone looking for a scrap of good news or positivity are shot down in flames

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's not just teenagers though mate, there's been families walking around Hawes and Ingleton near me today like **** all is going on, it's been absolutely rammed. How the **** can adults think a day out in the country walking about tourist spot and villages think thats ok? 

I know mate the parks round here were full of kids and adults chatting away like nothing is happening in the world. Although I did manage to get milk today so maybe the panic buying is calming down.. fingers crossed.

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

My daughter just told me her friends older brother and his pals hired a big apartment in town to have a weekend party now the pubs have shut. She’s been told she won’t be going near that friend for at least 14 days. I’m not sure whether the pals parents know what the brother is doing but I feel obligated to tell them, and if they do know then they’re as ****ing stupid as he is!

There was a report in the Guardian earlier in the week that this sort of thing has been alarming the authorities in many places around the world from New York and other parts of the States to New Zealand and including some of the European hot spots. Well done for alerting the parents of those involved … though whether people as stupid as this will listen to their parents (or as you say whether their parents are any less stupid) is another matter.

I'd have hoped schools and colleges had been hammering home the message about social isolation and the reasons for it in the run up to school closures but from what I have seen, if so few have taken a blind bit of notice. 

On a lightly different point given the number of cases here and elsewhere I'd have thought by now there would be some data and evidence on the common circumstances in which the virus passes on. For example is it large gatherings as such or extended contact with others at close range for example. 

Edited by Francis Albert

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that's just the official figure of those who have died in hospital.

Were saying on Sky News that that figure doesn't include all of the deaths at home or in care homes, which if you added them into the equation the total deaths would be much much higher, the reporter also said that many people didn't go to hospital.

Italy is an absolute disaster zone right now.

A country which I absolutely love and have been to many times, it's heartbreaking what's happening over there now.

When we find out what happened it will be even more heartbreaking.

I'll wager the source of Italy will be people from China and / or Iran who travelled before their countries took this seriously. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, kila said:

Yes FA, we know you are a half glass empty kind of guy. I can picture you popping children's balloons while telling them all good things must come to an end.

The point in these stories is something positive instead of negativity.

I wasn't being negative. Quite the opposite I thought. Positive or negative I think what I posted was correct, glass half empty or half full,.

13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spain and France are on total lockdown and you can't even leave the house without documentation.

You and a few others on this thread try and post as much sensationalist pish as you can. I'm sure it's to deliberately try and scare people.

What a ****ed up brain you've got. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

We don't yet in Scotland and definitely not in a day or so. 

Greater London will be first to lockdown but it will take a lot for a Conservative government to do that.

If Corbyn was in charge we would have been confined to our houses 2 weeks ago with troops on the streets

The last figures I saw were a few days ago but there is in fact a large discrepancy between the inner London boroughs, where the big spikes are, and the outer London boroughs' Maybe higher population density or far more tourists, I don't know. The next step may be a strict lock down in the inner boroughs which might be easier to manage and enforce than doing Greater London in one step.

On your political point it would also affect Labour boroughs more than Tory ones!

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, kila said:

BBC had a bit covering that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

--

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Of course, this will never truly be known until the pandemic is over, which is why modelling is very difficult and needs caveats.

But given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

Interesting point.

And sort of positive!

Edited by Francis Albert

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

When we find out what happened it will be even more heartbreaking.

I'll wager the source of Italy will be people from China and / or Iran who travelled before their countries took this seriously. 

Could be.

I still think part of the reason why Italy has been hit so bad, is because they took too long to even realise the virus was in the country.

It's a month today since the first confirmed death of coronavirus was discovered in Italy, so it's reasonable to assume that it was present at least 2 or 3 weeks prior to that date, goodness knows how many people were infected in that time before they even knew the virus was in the country.

By the time they locked down those wee villages right at the start, it was already too late because community transmission was already widespread, just the authorities didn't know it at that time.

24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Lunatic.

The UK is not under complete lockdown.

It's a half hearted thing only done grudgingly because nobody was taking a blind bit of notice to the government advice.

People are still moving about and meeting in large numbers.

All it is doing is making the whole outbreak last much longer than it could have done if we'd just had the balls to do a proper lockdown.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

The UK is not under complete lockdown.

It's a half hearted thing only done grudgingly because nobody was taking a blind bit of notice to the government advice.

People are still moving about and meeting in large numbers.

All it is doing is making the whole outbreak last much longer than it could have done if we'd just had the balls to do a proper lockdown.

It'll come

More ignorance then.    Scaring people,   aye?     Just have a look at the mortality numbers graph comparing China and Italy since their respective first death.    Also look at the strikingly similar growth in mortality number in Italy and the UK.    Keep looking at Italy and the fact that their health system began at greater strength than the UK and the fact that they've employed stricter controls than the UK.    Look at Spain and France and remember they have stricter controls than the UK.     

We can't even get near to protecting our own hospital staff.    We've implored people to participate in imperative delay practices... it's been ignored by a large section of the public.

Finally return to that graph of Italy's deaths just to remind yourself how quickly the dribble turns into a torrent.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The sooner the better.

Correct. Will probably see it on Monday as the government will keep an eye on things over the weekend

JudyJudyJudy

Just been to local shop to get “ essentials “ tenants  lager bleach and ciggies ! Old guy was in shop chatting yo the assistant and started to laugh ! Paranoid now ! I wasn’t too close to him but it can be spread by this ! That’s me def self isolating now 😂

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye Ok then :wtfvlad:

Could be wrong but I think he described you as a lunatic due to your statement that people are out to deliberately scare people with sensationalist comment.

I think he was not far off.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

More ignorance then.    Scaring people,   aye?     

Is that another dig at me Vic?

No ignorance here. 

So people aren't posting fake pictures of army on the streets and other fake news trying to scare people?

It's already been all over the media telling people not to listen to fake news.

I'm not saying your comparisons with Italy aren't true though

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Is that another dig at me Vic?

No ignorance here. 

So people aren't posting fake pictures of army on the streets and other fake news trying to scare people?

It's already been all over the media telling people not to listen to fake news.

I'm not saying your comparisons with Italy aren't true though

Well there's zero fakery on here.    Everyone is doing their utmost to provide genuine info and opinion.    Social media is what it is and is completely irrelevant.     It should be ignored and avoided.     I would have thought anyone with a genuine grasp of how serious the situation is would not concern themselves with the fetid swamp of social media.

Edited by Victorian

Салатные палочки

Went to get diesel earlier on the drive back the town centre was weirdly quiet apart from three or four big groups of teenagers (8-10 of them at a time) hanging around. I really hope they're not visiting any elderly relatives any time soon. 

:muggy:

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There are definitely scare stories going about that are obviously pish. 

There are, but they shouldn't come from the BBC and Chris Packham.

Guess we all get involved one way or another, went to the local pharmacist to get shaving cream, only because if I go I don't want to look scruffy. Had to wait about fifteen minutes only one person at a time allowed in. I can see where trouble may occur as we are all obeying the six ft separation rule, but the line up is totally disorganised. My son called, he worked in a hotel but has been laid of for three months. We told him to come here, but he is concerned his apartment would probably be broken into. Our granddaughter phoned to see how we are getting on and she helped with my problems with my first time Apple computer. She was so good, but when she hung up I cried like a baby because it was like talking to her Mum whom we lost exactly seven years ago, I guess I should be ashamed, but I really miss my daughter.

It is all such a radical change of life style, everything not essential closed, store shelves empty, constant news items with negative content, hospitals full, so even if you need help its not there. Its hard to follow old Tommy Trinders look on the bright side of life when there just does not seem to be one.  As I have said before death has lost its sting for me, but this shit is driving me daft. 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Went to get diesel earlier on the drive back the town centre was weirdly quiet apart from three or four big groups of teenagers (8-10 of them at a time) hanging around. I really hope they're not visiting any elderly relatives any time soon. 

:muggy:

It will be up to the parents to keep them away from their grandparents. Most of my costumers are elderly and they seem to be listening to the self isolating and social distancing. The good thing for me is I don't have to interact with them as payment goes into my bank

I'm a little bit more hopeful of a lockdown than I was but it probably will be to target hotspots first (London).     Most things seem to point towards it happening.     They're probably trying to plan out how to roll it out in order to avoid an even worse spate of panic buying,    the ability to crush any civil disobedience and quite possibly a run on the banks.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

What did he say?

On the radio saying that food will be in short supply because farmers can't self isolate and work in the fields, ****ing ignorat lying *****, hes got as much idea what goes on in the countryside as ive got about quantum physics. 

I live and work in the countyside and alongside the farming communities, work is carrying as per usual, stock going to markets, seed drilling being done today ect. The BBC should hang thier heads in shame putting out his vegan propaganda the complete and utter *****.

7 minutes ago, Dummy Dikes said:

Guess we all get involved one way or another, went to the local pharmacist to get shaving cream, only because if I go I don't want to look scruffy. Had to wait about fifteen minutes only one person at a time allowed in. I can see where trouble may occur as we are all obeying the six ft separation rule, but the line up is totally disorganised. My son called, he worked in a hotel but has been laid of for three months. We told him to come here, but he is concerned his apartment would probably be broken into. Our granddaughter phoned to see how we are getting on and she helped with my problems with my first time Apple computer. She was so good, but when she hung up I cried like a baby because it was like talking to her Mum whom we lost exactly seven years ago, I guess I should be ashamed, but I really miss my daughter.

It is all such a radical change of life style, everything not essential closed, store shelves empty, constant news items with negative content, hospitals full, so even if you need help its not there. Its hard to follow old Tommy Trinders look on the bright side of life when there just does not seem to be one.  As I have said before death has lost its sting for me, but this shit is driving me daft. 

Absolutely not, nothing shameful about your reaction whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Has anyone on here actually got this yet? I'm starting to think it's all made up 🤣

Is your name Trump?

Greedy Jambo
Just now, JackLadd said:

Is your name Trump?

Between you and me, it's king rump supper. 

I ken it's a pandemic but do you know anyone with it?

13 minutes ago, Dummy Dikes said:

Just think the world's best minds are unified in finding a remedy and ultimately a vaccine. Unfortunately we all have to weather this storm for the time being but research developments are progressing daily and we can't be far away from something positive. A big boost would be a drug which allows the critical to recover at home freeing up ICU units and ventilators.

20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm a little bit more hopeful of a lockdown than I was but it probably will be to target hotspots first (London).     Most things seem to point towards it happening.     They're probably trying to plan out how to roll it out in order to avoid an even worse spate of panic buying,    the ability to crush any civil disobedience and quite possibly a run on the banks.

Government been doing things in stages.

Not much where we are to go to complete lockdown.

As with the other rulings a lot of people are doing it already. Barely anyone in town or city centres. Shops are closing. 

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well there's zero fakery on here.    Everyone is doing their utmost to provide genuine info and opinion.    Social media is what it is and is completely irrelevant.     It should be ignored and avoided.     I would have thought anyone with a genuine grasp of how serious the situation is would not concern themselves with the fetid swamp of social media.

Zero fakery ? 😂😂😂😂

This thread is littered with warped political views and opinions We are in horrendous unknown modern circumstances yet so many people are politically motivated in their posts. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Space Pirate said:

Yep. Just found out this afternoon that an acquaintance of mine, aged mid 50's, was taken to hospital last Sunday with ful blown Coronavirus and taken to intensive care. Was receiving 100% oxygen but now down to 35% and while still in ICU, appears to be recovering.

Now he was a big lad, but wasn't suffering from anything (as far as I knew).

Just have to hope he recovers.

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Not yet, hopefully I won't.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Not many if any on here will know someone with it. 373 cases out of a population of 5.6 million

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yep. Just found out this afternoon that an acquaintance of mine, aged mid 50's, was taken to hospital last Sunday with ful blown Coronavirus and taken to intensive care. Was receiving 100% oxygen but now down to 35% and while still in ICU, appears to be recovering.

Now he was a big lad, but wasn't suffering from anything (as far as I knew).

Just have to hope he recovers.

Glad he's pulling thru, worrying what will happen if ventilators are not available down the line tho. 

N Lincs Jambo

Haven’t read this thread since January. Thought I would take a wee trip back to pages 1 and 2 and compare with the reality of now.

I’m not making this post to have a pop at anyone or any posts made but if anyone had said in January that this is where we would be today they would have been ridiculed. 

I’m sure we are all suffering somehow (my wife works as a chef in a pub/restaurant) and we’re now hoping that she will at least keep 80% of her pay. Things have moved so quickly and it’s now hard to see how/when it will be over.

Usually these boards would be full of the semi v Hibs and the other shite that’s affecting us but most people can’t be arsed. It’s like the semi will not actually happen. Just so weird....... 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not many if any on here will know someone with it. 373 cases out of a population of 5.6 million

Given the lack of testing the figures are meaningless.

Fire_At_The_Disco
12 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Has anyone on here actually got this yet? I'm starting to think it's all made up 🤣

Yes my daughter and her boyfriend have it, they stay in Essex though. They are over a week into isolation and feeling great doing diy etc. She is a  scientist in last year of phd at Kings College. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Interesting point.

And sort of positive!

Saw a similar post last week'

620,000 died last year

1698 average a day

assuming the coronavirus is killing those most likely to be in that number this year and the next 2 years means over a 3 year period if the UK did the herd immunity plan less than 5000 would pass away more than would have. But the 280,000 number(worse case scenario) looked so politically bad the Government crapped out. 

This means unless the actual lockdown works, which people seem to be avoiding this virus is open ended until a cure is found(18months to 2years) which means NHS under 18months pressure letting other operations go on hold and actually increasing the 3 year total of dead.

8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Zero fakery ? 😂😂😂😂

This thread is littered with warped political views and opinions We are in horrendous unknown modern circumstances yet so many people are politically motivated in their posts. 

I don't think there's much political bias at all to be totally honest.    It's just your perception,   which is wrong.

People are criticising the government.    But there's only one government.   If people want to criticise any decisions,   they can't really avoid it being the government.

Edited by Victorian

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Was receiving 100% oxygen but now down to 35% and while still in ICU, appears to be recovering.

That's good, I hope he pulls through

Greedy Jambo

I'm taking it seriously but i must admit, i don't know anyone with it. 

Apparently it's going to get worse though and will peek in may/june

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic