Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

16 minutes ago, escobri said:

Have I pumped your Mrs or done you some other wrong?, you seem to get agitated at some of my posts, I can't understand why 🤷‍♂️ 

You mistake "laughing at" for "agitation". :laugh:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Extra tax people such as yourself who cannot extrapolate meaning from data sets, only fair that you refund the money wasted by the tax payers on your education. ;) 

:illogical:

7 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

You mistake "laughing at" for "agitation". :laugh:

I posted a link to an article with a little joke attached, yet you have to make a claim that I have done something that I never and have a personal dig at me. We can take this chat to the pm's if you want 😉

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Extra tax people such as yourself who cannot extrapolate meaning from data sets, only fair that you refund the money wasted by the tax payers on your education. ;) 

Very good 😀🤣🤣🤣

Hard to keep up with everything but the narrative seems to be swinging to everything calming down and living with it now. Fingers crossed!

48 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Hard to keep up with everything but the narrative seems to be swinging to everything calming down and living with it now. Fingers crossed!

I don't think there is much choice, I was talking about this earlier looking back on photos from 2020 and how seriously everyone (that I knew anyway) took it and followed the rules. Now I think many would simply ignore the guidance if it got back to those levels, at least to an extent that would make policing it extremely difficult.

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

One man's view.  Some of it is a bit rich,  considering his profession.

One bit I agree with,  when safe to do so... maybe soon or very soon,  is to end the daily stats.  Ending the publicity of the daily stats will be an essential part of the therapy of people paying less attention to risk.  People are going to need the spontaneity of life to truly heal the psychological harm of the pandemic.

SuperstarSteve
On 29/12/2021 at 17:50, redjambo said:

No, the Covid PCR tests for SARS-CoV-2. Saying otherwise is like having a test that tests for footballers by checking to see if they are wearing a football strip, and then claiming that this means that a Hearts player must be the same as a Hibs player. They're both footballers (coronaviruses), granted, but we all know there is a world of difference between them.

Your absolutely correct btw. Bit of a late reply bit still, 100% my mistake for assuming when told PCR’s test for Coronavirus it meant the common cold.

i assumed of my own logic that possibly some pcr’s would pick up cells of the cold at times because of the high threshold. I wasn’t told that it tests for common cold just coronavirus, I made the assumption but clearly I was way off the mark. 

8 hours ago, indianajones said:

:yas:

2 parties at DS the night before The Queen buried her Man. 30 people only at funeral. I know the Queen has no real authority, but I'd like her to summon the PM at kick him in the baws, live on telly.

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Klopp said it was PCR tests they'd used. 

Apparently Liverpool used a local company to test their players whereas most of the premier league use a company called Prenetics. When Liverpool did confirmatory PCR’s (after their match was postponed), everyone came back negative and were free to play again.

The odds of getting a false positive LFT are apparently around 1 in 10,000 and PCR’s are meant to be more accurate.  So at best, the local company Liverpool used were extremely incompetent…… you can use your imagination for the alternative. 

Edited by Disco Dave

Oh well just made 6 sparkies very happy men 😎😎😂.  They were meant to be doing “ major works “ in the communal stair today until I told them I’ve still got the virus !( they had to also work in individual houses 🏡 ) I told them it’s an early weekend for them ! They didn’t seem too unhappy ! 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

2 parties at DS the night before The Queen buried her Man. 30 people only at funeral. I know the Queen has no real authority, but I'd like her to summon the PM at kick him in the baws, live on telly.

That would be a ratings winner 😂 prime time Saturday night 

18 hours ago, escobri said:

You realise that nearly 100% of the elderly have had 2 jabs and the unvaccinated make up only 10% of the population, right?

Ex member of the SaS
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The media and the BBC in particular played a big part in the fear factor. This is what I was getting at with the conspiracy thing, people understood early on this was what was happening but were shouted down and put down as clowns. There will still be those who want the restrictions to continue and I can only assume they are happy to have the Government tell them what to do or they are happy to live like sheep.

It's clear from the growing number of reports claiming this and the softening of statements from Government we will have to live with it and should have been at this stage earlier in the Omicron phase. 

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

One man's view.  Some of it is a bit rich,  considering his profession.

One bit I agree with,  when safe to do so... maybe soon or very soon,  is to end the daily stats.  Ending the publicity of the daily stats will be an essential part of the therapy of people paying less attention to risk.  People are going to need the spontaneity of life to truly heal the psychological harm of the pandemic.

But but but think about poor Devi, Deepti and all the other scaremongers whom will have to actually have to go back to the lab now and do some real work, instead of spaffing their doom & gloom on the telly.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

But but but think about poor Devi, Deepti and all the other scaremongers whom will have to actually have to go back to the lab now and do some real work, instead of spaffing their doom & gloom on the telly.

They have had their 15 mins well years of fame but here’s hoping they are back in their boxes soon . Odious bunch of scaremongers and doom merchants . They took their Shilling 

dobmisterdobster
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I have never ever been asked for a Vaccine pass in England. I'm happy to show it if needed.

Ive been asked one. Never been asked at the football. Its the principle though. Glad they are seeing sense down south 

Ex member of the SaS
20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Ive been asked one. Never been asked at the football. Its the principle though. Glad they are seeing sense down south 

Shame Nippy won't, It would be another climb down and one she won't want to make so soon. The fact that they are talking of increasing passports for pubs should make people stand up and take notice. Shops and transport next if the SG have their way.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Shame Nippy won't, It would be another climb down and one she won't want to make so soon. The fact that they are talking of increasing passports for pubs should make people stand up and take notice. Shops and transport next if the SG have their way.

Yep dont hold your breathe with any changes to it. Bad news for us really when England does this as she obviously will do the opposite. Sooner health is removed from  the devolved powers the better. Its been used as a political football. She can only justify that and other restrictions for so long. 

Footballfirst

Some mixed news in todays PHS figures. 

The good news is that hospital bed occupancy (1544 / -16) fell for the first time in 3 weeks and ICU bed use (50 / -8) for the first time in 2 weeks. The bad news is that there were 41 deaths reported.

There may be further ups and downs, but I hope that this is the peak for hospitals and that we will also see a fall in the number of deaths as that peaks in the coming days.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

:phface:

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It now appears Starmer was also attending an indoor drink even during lockdown. How can anyone trust any politician?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/13/keir-starmer-branded-absolute-hypocrite-drinking-staff-lockdown/

7 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Yep every political party has been at it 

Old news, first published on 1 May 2021. Explained as a campaign meeting at a Labour Party office in the run up to the May elections.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14826418/keir-starmer-beer-indoor-gathering/

While it is reasonable to claim that all parties are "at it", the above explanation does at least appear to be credible.

The Torygraph has  however indulged in a bit of whitabootery and false equivalence though.

Nucky Thompson

UK positive cases drop below 100k for the 1st time since 21st December.

People in hospital have dropped for 4 days running and there are 91 less people in ICU than a week ago

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

People in hospital have dropped for 4 days running and there are 91 less people in ICU than a week ago

Impossible! England have had large events like football and darts, whilst keeping nightclubs open and welcoming Scots and Welsh over for a Hogmanay party. The JKB experts told us they would pay for this carefree attitude…but they were, whisper it, wrong 😱

23 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Impossible! England have had large events like football and darts, whilst keeping nightclubs open and welcoming Scots and Welsh over for a Hogmanay party. The JKB experts told us they would pay for this carefree attitude…but they were, whisper it, wrong 😱

England's death rate has been almost double Scotland's for the last couple of weeks. 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

England's death rate has been almost double Scotland's for the last couple of weeks. 

Look at date of death instead of date reported and it's been much the same. 

The deaths for the UK as a whole, Scotland included, peaked at 231 on 6th January. Scotland had 41 on its own today and restrictions haven't been lifted yet.

Just admit that the Scottish government fecked it up with restrictions and were made to look silly :rofl:

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's going in the right direction. Really pleasing that Omicron hasn't been as bad as first feared. 

4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

That's not strictly true - we're on the right path though. Looking at the hospital figures tells a tale.... 

In England on the 1st of Dec there were 5829 in hospital, today it's 19721. 

ICU numbers are 773 vs 662 for the same period.

Multiple hospitals have declared critical alerts in England because they are overwhelmed. Despite the really superb situation where ICU numbers are not going up, case numbers are making hospitals creak.

Rather than suggest one view point was wrong, it's much more complex than that. 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

It's going in the right direction. Really pleasing that Omicron hasn't been as bad as first feared. 

That's not strictly true - we're on the right path though. Looking at the hospital figures tells a tale.... 

Multiple hospitals have declared critical alerts in England because they are overwhelmed. Despite the really superb situation where ICU numbers are not going up, case numbers are making hospitals creak.

The bottom line is that Scotland would have gotten through it much the same without the need for more restrictions

Adam_the_legend
6 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Surely the bit in bold is the key thing. Cases going up but ICU going down. Hospitals declaring was more to do with staff absence than too many patients with covid. 

39 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The deaths for the UK as a whole, Scotland included, peaked at 231 on 6th January. Scotland had 41 on its own today and restrictions haven't been lifted yet.

Just admit that the Scottish government fecked it up with restrictions and were made to look silly :rofl:

Facts are facts and more people have died in England than in Scotland pro-rata in the last few weeks. In fact in the last 2 years but been more pronounced the difference lately. I do think Scotland were overly cautious with the latest restrictions but they did have an impact

56 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They wont. It made a slight impact but not in any meaningful way but what it did do was completely deck up businsess and hospitality yet again and cause misery to those who work in it and also deprive supporters of attending football which all helps with mental health etc.  ( if we  win :) ) 

Cases 7000  down from last Friday. . What was that the dentist said a few weeks ago ?  Omicron would go on until February ?  

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

But but but .....  that 41 isn't your preferred "date of death" measure. 

BTW, have you looked back at the last couple of weeks "date of death" figures for the UK, since you highlighted that the death figure had only exceed 200 once in recent months. There are now 6 days in excess of 200 since 4 January and that number is likely to increase once more recent deaths have been registered.

If you look at the ONS infection surveys since the devolved nations implemented their "fecked up restrictions" on boxing day, you will find that all three devolved nations have actually had a lower infection rate than England. (Mark Drakeford confirmed that earlier today). 

While, I doubt that the difference is due to the different restrictions and agree that limited restrictions have only a marginal impact, the point that I would make is that it is all too easy to pull out a single day's stat that suits your argument, rather than look at trends or averages over a longer period which are much more meaningful.  

Edited by Footballfirst

20 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Surely the bit in bold is the key thing. Cases going up but ICU going down. Hospitals declaring was more to do with staff absence than too many patients with covid. 

Yeah but you are sort of missing the point. You said people wouldn’t pay for the care free attitude but a fair number of hospitals in England were in trouble and declared critical alerts causing services to be stopped.

ICU stats going the right direction are brilliant but with Omicron it’s always been about how big case numbers create knock on effects to other parts of society whether it’s Cops/Fire brigade/paramedics/doctors/nurses etc. 

More cases = More absences = More impact on business/public services etc.

I’m am more of a viewpoint that we could have handled things better up here but I’m not as sure that it’s as rosey as people think it is South of the border.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

p

oint that I would make is that it is all too easy to pull out a single day's stat that suits your argument, rather than look at trends or averages over a longer period which are much more meaningful.  

That's why he used that particular single day's stat.

He's good at that. 😊

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

That's why he used that particular single day's stat.

He's good at that. 😊

I picked the day that had the highest deaths on the data that was available at that time. 

The deaths peaked in the UK on the 6th January. More deaths might get added at a later date

I use the 'date of death' data because 'date reported' could add deaths from months ago 

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I picked the day that had the highest deaths on the data that was available at that time. 

The deaths peaked in the UK on the 6th January. More deaths might get added at a later date

I use the 'date of death' data because 'date reported' could add deaths from months ago 

😂😂😂😂 I'm sure there's loads of bodies lying in folks spare rooms for months just so they can muck up England's stats a few months later. 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I doubt it very much.  You only get 8 days to register a death in Scotland.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )