Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Because this country now sadly contains loads of wee whiners who are unable to put the common good over personal comfort.

1AE4F5AD-A0A3-4411-9103-7C22E8D49721.gif

Me and my comfort blanket and my black pot are just going to try to return to discussing the topic.  No more getting sucked in by latent vendettas.

👍

25 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You need Alexa for that ? Taffin already covered this buddy. 👍

Beni makes a fair point.

The shop assistant schtick is poor and undermines your place on the high ground and my comment the pot calling the kettle black can apply to that just as readily as anyone else's posts.

I'm all for a bun fight but mocking someone for their job (or not their job in this case) is poor patter.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Beni makes a fair point.

The shop assistant schtick is poor and undermines your place on the high ground and my comment the pot calling the kettle black can apply to that just as readily as anyone else's posts.

I'm all for a bun fight but mocking someone for their job (or not their job in this case) is poor patter.

Aye that’s fair enough but I wasn’t mocking his job. Maybe poorly but it was bun fight humour suggesting he was closer to be being a shop assistant rather than the virologist or scientist he tries to comes across as. Not that I’m going to lose much sleep over it but I wasn’t intentionally mocking shop assistants. Maybe I’m splitting hairs there but anyway apologies to all shop workers offended by my posts. 😊

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Mr Anti-snide continuing to be snide as ****, I see. 

Morning Ray, you just up ? Took you longer than normal to join in. 

Just now, Dazo said:

Morning Ray, you just up ? Took you longer than normal to join in. 

First time looking in for a while. Shouldn't have bothered. Don't worry, I'll leave you all to it again.

I don't try to come across as a virologist or any other scientist.  I'm trying,  unsuccessfully,  to discuss this topic,  just like many others on this thread.  That's all.  Honestly do not understand this type of hostility about discussing opinions.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

First time looking in for a while. Shouldn't have bothered. Don't worry, I'll leave you all to it again.

Suppose, posting 3 days out of the 4 so far this week is a while. Guess you must have meant hours rather than days  👍

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't try to come across as a virologist or any other scientist.  I'm trying,  unsuccessfully,  to discuss this topic,  just like many others on this thread.  That's all.  Honestly do not understand this type of hostility about discussing opinions.

So if I had made a good point you should have discussed that rather than open the can of worms ? 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

So if I had made a good point you should have discussed that rather than open the can of worms ? 

You were having a pop Dazo.  The comfort blanket jibe,  etc.  Your point that I agreed with was secondary.  You opened the can of worms by having a go without provocation.  Now you're having a go about me trying to be a virologist,  etc.

I've tried to leave it be at that.  Maybe put the vendetta away and join in?

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

You were having a pop Dazo.  The comfort blanket jibe,  etc.  Your point that I agreed with was secondary.  You opened the can of worms by having a go without provocation.  Now you're having a go about me trying to be a virologist,  etc.

I've tried to leave it be at that.  Maybe put the vendetta away and join in?

People do need that comfort blanket though. On here and in the real world. You chose to take that as a pop. Why does the public need the daily stats ? Do people make their minds up each day on what they are doing that day depending on these figures ? I’m trying to get across and so should the media that we are now living with this. That’s means the stats should be kept for those that genuinely need them and unless things start to get completely out of control we need to move be on. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

People do need that comfort blanket though. On here and in the real world. You chose to take that as a pop. Why does the public need the daily stats ? Do people make their minds up each day on what they are doing that day depending on these figures ? I’m trying to get across and so should the media that we are now living with this. That’s means the stats should be kept for those that genuinely need them and unless things start to get completely out of control we need to move be on. 

You're perfectly free to pay no attention to the stats.  People should be free to continue discussing it.  Another poster recently said something similar re the stats.  He said they should no longer be published.  I don't see it tbh.  People can choose to either keep an eye on them or ignore them.  Nobody is forcing anyone else to conform either way.  

We are all moving on.  With or without stats.  The way things are going,  it may well be that the stats become increasingly redundant.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're perfectly free to pay no attention to the stats.  People should be free to continue discussing it.  Another poster recently said something similar re the stats.  He said they should no longer be published.  I don't see it tbh.  People can choose to either keep an eye on them or ignore them.  Nobody is forcing anyone else to conform either way.  

We are all moving on.  With or without stats.  The way things are going,  it may well be that the stats become increasingly redundant.

That's all it is.

14 minutes ago, Dazo said:

👍

While masks, arguably, had a place while Covid was a major concern, nowadays the idea of mask wearing is wrong, on so many levels.

It's not just the inconvenience,  the respiratory or skin issues, it's the principle that a state can mandate this type of control measure as and when they wish.

The fact that, for example,  Susan Michie, a SAGE member who harbours dangerous,  totalitarian views, wants them to be worn permanently, illustrates the point

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Of course they are free to discuss them. Although I’ve genuinely no idea what’s left to discuss.  Some people aren’t moving on though and need help to. Daily bulletins and warnings in the media don’t help those people. No one has forgot about covid so we don’t need the constant reminders. You don’t agree and that’s fine but what are we actually gaining from it ? The stats will still be available if someone wishes to find them for whatever reason. 

23 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

While masks, arguably, had a place while Covid was a major concern, nowadays the idea of mask wearing is wrong, on so many levels.

It's not just the inconvenience,  the respiratory or skin issues, it's the principle that a state can mandate this type of control measure as and when they wish.

The fact that, for example,  Susan Michie, a SAGE member who harbours dangerous,  totalitarian views, wants them to be worn permanently, illustrates the point

Fair enough. Die a bit more.

Just now, Dazo said:

Of course they are free to discuss them. Although I’ve genuinely no idea what’s left to discuss.  Some people aren’t moving on though and need help to. Daily bulletins and warnings in the media don’t help those people. No one has forgot about covid so we don’t need the constant reminders. You don’t agree and that’s fine but what are we actually gaining from it ? The stats will still be available if someone wishes to find them for whatever reason. 

Not sure what your point is then.  It entirely personal choice.  If people choose to continue making opinions about them on this or some other thread then that's their right.  

In a way,  it might even continue to be of interest if the stats remain largely unchanging.  That's the point I made yesterday that it may prove to be a residual level of case numbers that wont change much.  That would be informative in it's own way.  Will people still be discussing unchanging case numbers for many months or years to come?  Not likely.  If people choose to believe these stats are already now in a settled state then that's their absolute right.  

If an individual sees little point in viewing the stats or reading people discussing them then why can't they exercise their right to opt out?

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not sure what your point is then.  It entirely personal choice.  If people choose to continue making opinions about them on this or some other thread then that's their right.  

In a way,  it might even continue to be of interest if the stats remain largely unchanging.  That's the point I made yesterday that it may prove to be a residual level of case numbers that wont change much.  That would be informative in it's own way.  Will people still be discussing unchanging case numbers for many months or years to come?  Not likely.  If people choose to believe these stats are already now in a settled state then that's their absolute right.  

If an individual sees little point in viewing the stats or reading people discussing them then why can't they exercise their right to opt out?

Says you sitting in your Hazmat suit.

16 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think that the lack of traffic on the thread in the last month evidences that people are just getting on with life  and living . There isn’t much to discuss anymore on this as we have went from A to Z and Back again numerous times. If people still want to interpret the daily stats and get excited / worried / concerned thats fine too I suppose . The thread was helpful to many for information sharing and difference of opinions at the beginning and I feel was supportive too . But it’s fading now . As most threads do I suppose . 

He will do / say anything to try win another slam ! 😂 Surely The fairer option if players don’t want To take the vaccine is they quarantine for 2 weeks before the open ? The sponsors will agree to this as it’s not only Novak but other top players too who are not taking the vaccine . Tstispas being one. Actually not heard much from the women’s game with this issue ? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10087563/Andy-Murray-backs-calls-mandatory-vaccination-enter-Australian-Open.html?fbclid=IwAR1m857M1QVPOGWghTGN7LsWo21pA_fjDemAC8QbgJA9nwrFEfVwwGzHdso

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Because this country now sadly contains loads of wee whiners who are unable to put the common good over personal comfort.

I didn't get the memo, where it says I can pick and choose which laws I would wish to follow or not . Where does it stop. Do racists and bigots get to decide if they are gonnae abuse blacks and gays or even worse murderers killing cause they want to. I know it's a bit ott, but...

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How do you opt out ? Turn the tv, radio and social media off ? Obviously on here it’s easy but that’s a single source. 

You haven’t really said what’s to be gained by the continuing daily stats so in that respect, what’s the point ? I accept I’m coming from a view point that doesn’t see the point of it and even an ignorance but other than travel updates which has its own thread I’ve not really seen a single worthy discussion point on this thread since it was clear the uk governments aren’t turning back. 

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I didn't get the memo, where it says I can pick and choose which laws I would wish to follow or not . Where does it stop. Do racists and bigots get to decide if they are gonnae abuse blacks and gays or even worse murderers killing cause they want to. I know it's a bit ott, but...

Racists and bigots still abuse and murder “blacks “ and “ gays “ despite laws being in place . It’s a false equivalence really . Your right your , examples as ott 

Edited by JamesM48

13 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Masks have had their day tbh. It's more of a ridiculous ritual now, full of contradictions with too many exemptions.  The vast majority are vaccinated and, as a nation, we need to get match fit again, in terms of boosting our immune systems again.  No chance they'll be mandated in England again imo. 

Thankfully,  they've removed the powers to lockdown so that certainly won't be an option. 

There's a very good argument to at least get through the season of colds and sniffles before relaxing this rule though. Will also allow a lot of booster jabs as well.

We don't want to get close and then chuck all the good work away like last time.

10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

How do you opt out ? Turn the tv, radio and social media off ? Obviously on here it’s easy but that’s a single source. 

You haven’t really said what’s to be gained by the continuing daily stats so in that respect, what’s the point ? I accept I’m coming from a view point that doesn’t see the point of it and even an ignorance but other than travel updates which has its own thread I’ve not really seen a single worthy discussion point on this thread since it was clear the uk governments aren’t turning back. 

How opt out?  When the stats are given on the news programme it's not exactly necessary to make a desperate grab for the remote control or anything.  One need only pay no attention to it.  Surely people can exist in a world where some stats of no intetest to them can briefly appear and be briefly heard without it all becoming too much for them to take.

I don't know how long there's anything to gain from ongoing interest in the stats.  Nobody can answer that on behalf of another person.

Live and let live.  People can decide for themselves.

Edited by Victorian

I Think that we have now all got used to the daily death stats and got used to a certain level of deaths . Whilst it’s sad that even one person has died of covid we have to move on and recognise we are in a much better place than we were last year when daily deaths were sometimes in the 100s . Its about being realistic now and balancing our quality of lives , the economy etc and with living with the virus . I think we have the right balance and thankfully the Govt don’t haven’t went into form of panic mode and and started making rash decisions just to be seen to be doing “ something “  when

nothing needs done ( bar the fiasco of vaccine passports ) 

15 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

There's a very good argument to at least get through the season of colds and sniffles before relaxing this rule though. Will also allow a lot of booster jabs as well.

We don't want to get close and then chuck all the good work away like last time.

We have got through many winters of colds and flues pre Covid 

37 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You won't have any issues with the laws Westminster pass effecting you then, will you Ri?

🤔

21 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Yes, very good point, Kaiser.  I agree, while the boosters are being rolled out, it will prob continue. 

I don't think mandating it makes any difference though. It's mandated at Tynie and we see the level of compliance there.

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Back in your day men were men and sheep were nervous. 

Back in my day, I used to be able to run faster than the sheep, now believe me, that made them really nervous. :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You won't have any issues with the laws Westminster pass effecting you then, will you Ri?

🤔

👍

28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

We have got through many winters of colds and flues pre Covid 

I know.

But this is still a covid winter. And potentially could be our last. Keep the masks, get the booster jabs fired out, vaccines for 12-15 year olds rolled out fully as well and by spring next year could be a real fresh start for everyone.

The pessimistic me is still talking louder than the optimistic me though with this potential outcome.

Just now, Der Kaiser said:

I know.

But this is still a covid winter. And potentially could be our last. Keep the masks, get the booster jabs fired out, vaccines for 12-15 year olds rolled out fully as well and by spring next year could be a real fresh start for everyone.

The pessimistic me is still talking louder than the optimistic me though with this potential outcome.

I don’t dispute that. Buses in particular are filled with germs 🦠 yuck . Masked People coughing away ( but forgetting to put their hand over mouth drives me nuts 🌰 then there are the hand rails, the button you press to get off . It’s an obstacle course basically 😂 the good bit about it as I can that flu / colds will greatly reduce this winter due to more precautions on buses ? Yes I will

wear my mask on a bus but only if it’s busy ( personal responsibility and risk assessment ) 

Avert your eyes all those who are offended by or likely to get upset at the existence of data and statistics, or annoyed that other people create and look at them. ;)

Scottish numbers: 14 October 2021

Summary

• 2,639 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+58; down from 2,691 a week ago]
  • 40,239 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+4,511]
    • 7.0% of these were positive [-0.7%]
  • 29 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-1]
  • 50 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-1]
  • 908 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-10]
  • 4,275,208 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,871,406 have received their second dose [+5,082; +2,750]

The latest trend stats. Nice drop in the 7-day deaths rate.

7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area WHO   Today Yesterday     12 Oct 11 Oct 10 Oct 9 Oct 8 Oct ... 1 Oct
Scotland 4   308 309 -1   318 320 310 305 306 ... 345

Stirling 4   479 471 +8   478 495 458 413 398 ... 366
West Lothian 4   433 441 -8   465 480 456 425 455 ... 504
Dundee City 4   408 427 -19   437 435 440 429 417 ... 427
Fife 4   392 396 -4   408 406 382 373 361 ... 407
East Renfrewshire 4   380 376 +4   375 373 355 344 330 ... 354
Aberdeenshire 4   377 378 -1   403 404 380 378 379 ... 339
East Ayrshire 4   368 377 -9   394 405 414 403 411 ... 440
Falkirk 4   362 366 -4   379 394 398 400 416 ... 421
North Lanarkshire 4   351 342 +9   371 378 367 373 373 ... 442
North Ayrshire 4   346 358 -12   342 341 340 327 335 ... 441
Renfrewshire 4   332 309 +23   304 307 298 283 270 ... 371
Clackmannanshire 4   322 298 +24   263 263 253 222 226 ... 328
South Lanarkshire 4   321 313 +8   319 333 320 314 324 ... 382
Moray 4   319 324 -5   355 357 379 374 383 ... 231
Angus 4   308 304 +4   301 293 269 267 243 ... 234
Scottish Borders 4   305 322 -17   335 336 317 307 308 ... 188
East Lothian 4 214 301 294 +7   258 246 221 219 209 ... 265
East Dunbartonshire 4   295 294 +1   297 312 318 314 333 ... 382
West Dunbartonshire 4   292 299 -7   310 314 307 298 317 ... 437
Dumfries & Galloway 4   266 271 -5   289 308 300 301 305 ... 361
Midlothian 4   264 246 +18   246 248 251 252 263 ... 327
Aberdeen City 4   253 248 +5   262 272 267 266 259 ... 292
Perth & Kinross 4   253 288 -35   295 294 265 282 276 ... 304
Glasgow City 4   251 254 -3   262 273 275 279 287 ... 328
Argyll & Bute 4   250 240 +10   241 239 222 224 235 ... 304
Edinburgh City 4   240 244 -4   246 231 219 204 204 ... 238
Inverclyde 4   239 257 -18   258 257 260 249 231 ... 365
South Ayrshire 4   234 237 -3   255 245 235 223 235 ... 541
Highland 4 211 220 211 +9   217 207 199 193 193 ... 168
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4   151 125 +26   136 132 140 174 226 ... 234
Shetland Islands 3   87 109 -22   127 127 144 166 166 ... 70
Orkney Islands 3   71 98 -27   71 76 85 80 67 ... 85

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     12 Oct 11 Oct 10 Oct 9 Oct 8 Oct ... 1 Oct
Tests     30548 30827 -279   32422 32702 32521 32414 33156 ... 35457
Cases     2405 2412 -7   2480 2501 2424 2378 2392 ... 2694
Positivity rate %     8.4 8.4 0.0   8.2 8.2 8.0 7.8 7.7 ... 8.2
Deaths     17 19 -2   19 18 18 18 18 ... 19

All Vaccinations     8099 8220 -121   8393 8676 8848 9031 9138 ... 6572
1st Dose     5733 5850 -117   6005 6169 6460 6625 6682 ... 3705
2nd Dose     2366 2370 -4   2388 2507 2388 2406 2456 ... 2867

All in hospital     932 943 -11   953 962 972 976 979 ... 1009
Non-ICU     877 885 -8   893 900 908 910 912 ... 935
ICU     55 58 -3   60 62 64 66 67 ... 74

More of the same again.  Maybe one day closer to an as yet undesignated date in future when making any comment whatsoever will result in an immediate incarceration in the laughing academy.  :)

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

More of the same again.

Spot on. Difficult to tell whether we're in the eye of a hurricane, out the other end, or something else. I don't think we've reached the residual infection level, well I hope not anyway as we still have a markedly high case rate compared to most other countries around the world, but we're definitely on a plateau case-wise with no indications as to where we're headed next. That increasing positivity rate, which remained stable today, continues to be an unusual statistic as it doesn't seem to be manifesting in increased cases. Meanwhile, hospitalisations and ICU numbers are gradually but steadily dropping, and will continue to do so up to a point if infection levels stay where they are. It really is a case at the moment, for me anyway, of "don't know what's going to happen next".

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I think that the lack of traffic on the thread in the last month evidences that people are just getting on with life  and living . There isn’t much to discuss anymore on this as we have went from A to Z and Back again numerous times. If people still want to interpret the daily stats and get excited / worried / concerned thats fine too I suppose . The thread was helpful to many for information sharing and difference of opinions at the beginning and I feel was supportive too . But it’s fading now . As most threads do I suppose . 

I've stopped reading it so much when people stopped talking about the stats, which is the bit I find interesting and informative. They don't worry me at all, but I am interested in the progress of the pandemic and governments' differing approaches to dealing with it. I say this as someone who has been involved in emergency planning in the past. it's a subject which interests me, hence i like to read about it and discuss it and the stats are important factual evidence i that respect

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not a shop assistant,  but you knew that.  Snidey remarks about shop assistants only denigrates shop assistants,  who are just people doing a fine job.  But hey,  that's just you doing your thing.

5 hours ago, Dazo said:

That may be your view of shop assistants don’t try and make it mine ta. 👍 

You got a problem with shop assistants 😂. Jesus. The same people who worked through the lockdowns when most were quaking under their duvets. I employ five shop assistants that have had to put up with some right wasters  between the lockdowns, and after, that insist they have “the asthma” or had a”full heart attack” who are generally of a type that I’d follow for being suspiciously shoplifteresque. You can tell them from the genuinely exempt a mile off. I’m presuming you work in a profession which looks down on hard working people- something embittering.

Horatio Caine
11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Stirling at the 'top' of the league. I wonder what's been going on there.

🤷‍♂️

Same as what's been going on in West Lothian for the past wee while. Presumably.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You've just came back from Spain where mask adoption is huge. No arguments, no wee daisy lanyards, just folks cracking on with it, with a mask on indoors & on transport etc.

What's Spain's new daily case rate like?

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You've just came back from Spain where mask adoption is huge. No arguments, no wee daisy lanyards, just folks cracking on with it, with a mask on indoors & on transport etc.

What's Spain's new daily case rate like?

I can answer that with a graph from Travelling Tabby. Scotland is in the centre on the 300 line, just above the red of Turkey, Spain is in light blue on the 20 line. And remember, this graph is logarithmic. Why is it that the UK is doing so badly case-wise compared to the vast majority of other countries? I think that this is a question that definitely needs to be asked and researched.

856205621_Screenshotat2021-10-1414-54-10.png.ce5bd0e3216b2960e33387ed038f5fb2.png

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Spot on. Difficult to tell whether we're in the eye of a hurricane, out the other end, or something else. I don't think we've reached the residual infection level, well I hope not anyway as we still have a markedly high case rate compared to most other countries around the world, but we're definitely on a plateau case-wise with no indications as to where we're headed next. That increasing positivity rate, which remained stable today, continues to be an unusual statistic as it doesn't seem to be manifesting in increased cases. Meanwhile, hospitalisations and ICU numbers are gradually but steadily dropping, and will continue to do so up to a point if infection levels stay where they are. It really is a case at the moment, for me anyway, of "don't know what's going to happen next".

I agree.  It's not clear (yet) if this is a long term state,  further decline in numbers is possible or further increases are likely.  It's difficult to compare against other countries' rates as well.  Maybe differences in the number of tests or who's being tested might throw up disparity?

My current guess is that,  due to the length of time this plateau has been going on,  that this is our default plateau.  Maybe there's other reasons why it's not comparing to elsewhere.

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Btw I reckon only folk who got furlough should be taxed more, I had to work y*******s!

definitely sitting on their backsides doing feck all only joking folks i have been back in the office for over a year what a feckin relief to get away from her indoors 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic