Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Hesh said:

Geographical locations on deaths wouldn’t support that 

Im sure the stats can be doctored about locations now and then....:) 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's not like Cade to go for a tenuous 'UK media bad' angle tbf. 🤷‍♂️

I know, completely out of character, lockdown must be getting to him.

Footballfirst

Scotland deaths in 2019

Drug abuse - 1,284

Alcohol abuse - 1,020

Suicides - 833

Road accidents - 165

Workplace accidents - 10

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I finally have an appointment next week too. To be honest Im not sure if ill go for it.  Not due to any blood clots risks  etc as they are minimal but the constant need for boosters etc with it every 6 months or so...aye right 

You take medication everyday to make you feel better/treat a condition, so what's the difference, apart from the time scale, if you have to have a booster jab every 6 to 12 months, does it really matter if it's every 6 months or so or everyday, you're still taking regular meds.

At least that's the way I look at it.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You take medication everyday to make you feel better/treat a condition, so what's the difference, apart from the time scale, if you have to have a booster jab every 6 to 12 months, does it really matter if it's every 6 months or so or everyday, you're still taking regular meds.

There’s now talk of a vaccine pill. 
To date they have no idea how long these Covid vaccines will give cover. I’m sure in a year or so they will know. Boosters are not unusual especially if the virus regularly changes. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Those medicines have been tried and tested for over 9 years ( i checked) before i took them, therefore their safety has been far more scrutinized and assured than the current vaccines.   Oh and i dont  i take medicines every day.  I am perfectly aware any medication has side effects as well but again after years of rigorous testing. Sorry to bring some reality back to the thread. 

The real test for any vaccine will be in places like Brazil where it’s mutating due to the high number of infections. If, The president permits it, they would need to rapidly deploy vaccines to combat the virus and its many mutations. 

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

End in sight yet? Any clarity if your having to hotel quarantine or back to fam?

All going well we should be getting a run ashore by the end of the weekend. :sadrobbo:

Five days in Angola while they sort out PCR tests and travel stuff. :muggy:

11 nights in the Hampton at Edinburgh airport. :sob:

A week up north with the fam in early May. :pleasing:

Comparing it to RTA, lightning strikes, drug abuse and suicides...it genuinely is like going back 12 months 😂😂

Dennis Reynolds

Data starting to roll in that immunity from the vaccines lasting likely into 'years'. Also effective against the new Manaus strain. Boosters probably unlikely unless drastic changes in variants or immunity trials fall off a cliff. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Those medicines have been tried and tested for over 9 years ( i checked) before i took them, therefore their safety has been far more scrutinized and assured than the current vaccines.   Oh and i dont  i take medicines every day.  I am perfectly aware any medication has side effects as well but again after years of rigorous testing. Sorry to bring some reality back to the thread. 

No need to apologize, and yes most drugs are tested over many years, however in this case time to wait was a luxury the World didn't have.

Years of tests to test if a vaccine works & is safe, would have quite probably also meant years in lockdowns as well.

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Interesting graphic,

Yes I seen that graph and it was referred to in the briefing today. 
Being 68 the odds are in my favour. 

Malinga the Swinga
33 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You have winged about lockdown for almost year and a bit. We have way out, but you're still winging. Don't take vaccine, it's a free decision but if you catch it, don't blame anyone else. Also, don't expect to be allowed into shops, restaurants, pubs, football stadiums or anywhere else that people gather. 

Live in your little cocoon of ignorance,and rely on others to keep you safe. 

There's no pleasing some people. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You have winged about lockdown for almost year and a bit. We have way out, but you're still winging. Don't take vaccine, it's a free decision but if you catch it, don't blame anyone else. Also, don't expect to be allowed into shops, restaurants, pubs, football stadiums or anywhere else that people gather. 

Its " whingeing"  and yes you are right I have a choice just like you do. Sad you are happy with an apartheid state of vaccine against the vaccinated.  Oh and I assume you are getting the vaccine to " keep others safe" and nowt to do with your own safety?  How virtuous of you.  

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I thought we were to blame Boris, the young and the covidiots if we catch it and absolve ourselves of all responsibility?

And I thought relying on others to keep us safe was the basis of the year past and excluding  people from places was very frowned upon?

Seems like you're advocating personal responsibility and dealing with the consequences personally faced...which has been roundly shot down all year.

This place has inverted itself.

3fingersreid

Just been told by my cousin that Ontario will be into a full 28 lockdown as of midnight tonight , seems the Canadian govt isn’t doing to well 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, kila said:

Is James anti-vax now? Not tuned in for an episode for a while

No i am not.  :) 

.im only just back after  i  went into self exile  for nearly a week.  I haven't missed anything it seems. 

Tune in next week folks 

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

That did cross my mind, as well.I can’t wait for the arguments of comparing Oxford AZ and the pill😂

The recent developments are unfortunate, albeit the need to change strategy is telling. The risk of the under 30’s dieing of COVID must be viewed as similar of less that dieing of blood clots for the policy to change. That probably says more about the risk of COVID to that group than anything else tbh.

Fortunately, we have other vaccines to turn to for that age group. 

I really don’t think there is too much harm in taking a pause for that group just to make sure its the best strategy. Boomers far too desperate to kill the unders 30’s due to fear of ‘variants’

Made me laugh that quote. 

Considering Millennials and Gen Z’s have just given up a year of their youth to try keep Boomer’s safe/alive you would think they might have a bit of gratitude. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I thought we were to blame Boris, the young and the covidiots if we catch it and absolve ourselves of all responsibility?

And I thought relying on others to keep us safe was the basis of the year past and excluding  people from places was very frowned upon?

Seems like you're advocating personal responsibility and dealing with the consequences personally faced...which has been roundly shot down all year.

This place has inverted itself.

Spot on ! 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Its " whingeing"  and yes you are right I have a choice just like you do. Sad you are happy with an apartheid state of vaccine against the vaccinated.  Oh and I assume you are getting the vaccine to " keep others safe" and nowt to do with your own safety?  How virtuous of you.  

Of course it's for my reasons I took it. Never said it wasn't. I took vaccine because 1) it protects my family , 2) it protects me, 3) it protects my friends, 4) protects my work colleagues, 5) it just possibly will allow us all to resume some firm of normality. 

It's not altruistic, it's common sense. 

It's not an apartheid system, it's a small percentage who want to find some way of feeling as if they are fighting 'the man'. Instead of everyone being together and trying to resolve our way out of this, you want to act as though you know better and you won't be forced into anything. 

Nobody forcing you to take vaccine, but if shops refuse to admit you or bars won't allow you in, that is their right not to put their staff in danger from those who willfully will take risks, put their head in sand, and just hope for best. 

We both didn't like lockdown, we both didn't like way government handled tier system, but you won't do anything about it apart from grump and complain about how unfair it is. 

Well, you have way out, its called vaccination. What do you want government to do, lock downs continually till you are happy with vaccine or just open up anyway and to hell with consequences? 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Of course it's for my reasons I took it. Never said it wasn't. I took vaccine because 1) it protects my family , 2) it protects me, 3) it protects my friends, 4) protects my work colleagues, 5) it just possibly will allow us all to resume some firm of normality. 

It's not altruistic, it's common sense. 

It's not an apartheid system, it's a small percentage who want to find some way of feeling as if they are fighting 'the man'. Instead of everyone being together and trying to resolve our way out of this, you want to act as though you know better and you won't be forced into anything. 

Nobody forcing you to take vaccine, but if shops refuse to admit you or bars won't allow you in, that is their right not to put their staff in danger from those who willfully will take risks, put their head in sand, and just hope for best. 

We both didn't like lockdown, we both didn't like way government handled tier system, but you won't do anything about it apart from grump and complain about how unfair it is. 

Well, you have way out, its called vaccination. What do you want government to do, lock downs continually till you are happy with vaccine or just open up anyway and to hell with consequences? 

But if you have had the vaccine what’s the problem with those who don’t ? You are at far less risk apparently of becoming seriously ill if vaccinated so what’s the issue ? Like I’ve said till blue in the face those who were most at risk are now less at risk of serous illness or death so the crisis is over . Mass vaccination of the healthy is not needed no matter what the epidemiologists  on this often argue , in their usual condescending pontificating manner . The Govt agree and are opening up in the next few weeks . So unsure what your argument is really . You just seem angry that some people may decline a vaccination which  they have every right to do so . Money talks and always does so I’m guessing that any covid passports for pubs , hospitality will hit the skids did to these places thinkin of money . And again it wouldn’t matter if there were un vaccinated in those said places as you’ll be fairly safe .. so chill  

Footballfirst

Looking at the weekly vaccine supply figures as at 5 April, the forecast supply problem during April is becoming apparent

• The allocated supplies went up from 3,744,260 last week to 3,814,460 this week, a rise of just 70,200.
  • The delivered supplies however went up from 3,257,390 to 3,528,790 a rise of 271,400.
  • The "reserves" (the gap between allocated and delivered) dropped from 488,870 to 285,670, a fall of 201,200.

Those reserves won't last long unless the allocated supplies pick up from last week's numbers.  It's not a totally bleak situation though as there remain supplies which have been delivered but not administered, as yet.  That figure was 507,136 (less any wastage to date). 

There should be enough to get to the mid-April 1st dose targets (circa 220k-240k doses, depending on take up rates), but it looks like people will be getting their 2nd jabs a bit closer to the 12 week mark than the 10 weeks that has been typically achieved to date.

Edited by Footballfirst

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I finally have an appointment next week too. To be honest Im not sure if ill go for it.  Not due to any blood clots risks  etc as they are minimal but the constant need for boosters etc with it every 6 months or so...aye right 

4 hours ago, LMc said:

Data starting to roll in that immunity from the vaccines lasting likely into 'years'. Also effective against the new Manaus strain. Boosters probably unlikely unless drastic changes in variants or immunity trials fall off a cliff. 

That's very encouraging, been reading a few articles that have early data suggesting efficacy against the dominant strains doesn't fall off a cliff-face and should still be good enough. The Manaus strain shares similarities with the UK strain, so perhaps any favourable mutations that are available to the virus aren't likely to allow it to escape our vaccines. 

14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Just been watching some JVCI bod talking about Oxford AZ and the risks. He was explaining the death by blood clots are extremely low risk 1 in about 200.000, that risk is similar to under 30’s deing of COVID.  

No one has suffered blood clots from a second dose. 

Also some real good data coming via PHE about vaccine breaking trans motions and breaking the link to COVID and hospitals. 

Matt Hancock is now on TV he’s an arsehole. About 8.5M, under 30’s remaining to be vaccinated and plenty of doses of non Oxford AZ vaccines to jab them up. Urging younger people to get jabbed up to protect their loved ones and unconvincly wittering on about long Covid. 

The U.K. govt have done very well at dishing the vaccine out. They will need to get better, and much quicker, about explaining the benefits and rational of vaccinating younger people. Getting people like Hancock, who is a walking car crash, to try and make the argument is a mistake. 

I'd prefer they were just honest about it and conceded there isn't much personal benefit and that they'd please like younger people to do it for the greater benefit. I'd accept that quite happily.

It's the pretending it's for my own good and the coercion (well you can't go to football etc) that makes me push back against it all.

I'm not patriotic but I could even probably get behind 'do it for your country' more than some ramble about how not getting it maybe might potentially increase the likelihood of a mutation that possibly conceivably may then be a risk to younger people.

Edited by Taffin

9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

But if you have had the vaccine what’s the problem with those who don’t ? You are at far less risk apparently of becoming seriously ill if vaccinated so what’s the issue ? Like I’ve said till blue in the face those who were most at risk are now less at risk of serous illness or death so the crisis is over . Mass vaccination of the healthy is not needed no matter what the epidemiologists  on this often argue , in their usual condescending pontificating manner . The Govt agree and are opening up in the next few weeks . So unsure what your argument is really . You just seem angry that some people may decline a vaccination which  they have every right to do so . Money talks and always does so I’m guessing that any covid passports for pubs , hospitality will hit the skids did to these places thinkin of money . And again it wouldn’t matter if there were un vaccinated in those said places as you’ll be fairly safe .. so chill  

James - the risk is mutation of the virus.  We know this virus mutates - that's a proven fact.

The more people who are not vaccinated means the virus has a bigger pool to spread around and mutate in.  And one of those mutations will not be affected by the current vaccinations and we have to start this all over again.

45 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Just been watching some JVCI bod talking about Oxford AZ and the risks. He was explaining the death by blood clots are extremely low risk 1 in about 200.000, that risk is similar to under 30’s deing of COVID.  

No one has suffered blood clots from a second dose. 

Also some real good data coming via PHE about vaccine breaking trans motions and breaking the link to COVID and hospitals. 

Matt Hancock is now on TV he’s an arsehole. About 8.5M, under 30’s remaining to be vaccinated and plenty of doses of non Oxford AZ vaccines to jab them up. Urging younger people to get jabbed up to protect their loved ones and unconvincly wittering on about long Covid. 

The U.K. govt have done very well at dishing the vaccine out. They will need to get better, and much quicker, about explaining the benefits and rational of vaccinating younger people. Getting people like Hancock, who is a walking car crash, to try and make the argument is a mistake. 

After more than a year of this people need the benefits of vaccination explained to them ? 😂

32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'd prefer they were just honest about it and conceded there isn't much personal benefit and that they'd please like younger people to do it for the greater benefit. I'd accept that quite happily.

It's the pretending it's for my own good and the coercion (well you can't go to football etc) that makes me push back against it all.

I'm not patriotic but I could even probably get behind 'do it for your country' more than some ramble about how not getting it maybe might potentially increase the likelihood of a mutation that possibly conceivably may then be a risk to younger people.

It is for our own good, well if you value your freedom to shop, eat out, go to the pub, education or play sports for example. If we don’t get vaccinated purely because we don’t feel covid is a threat to our health then a lot of people haven’t been listening. 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It is for our own good, well if you value your freedom to shop, eat out, go to the pub, education or play sports for example. If we don’t get vaccinated purely because we don’t feel covid is a threat to our health then a lot of people haven’t been listening. 

It's not about whether we 'feel' Covid is a threat to our health. Statistically, it isn't.

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

After more than a year of this people need the benefits of vaccination explained to them ? 😂

They do because many people can only conceptualise on a first hand,  personal basis.  Lots of people wont get the concept of individual gain from population / mutual duty.

Younger age groups need vaccinated to help stop mutations that could cause the current vaccines to become less effective, which will take us back to a year ago. 

Hopefully they are progressing with research on a vaccine that targets the body protein of the virus rather than just the spikes? So any typical mutation wouldn’t be a problem. 

42 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's not about whether we 'feel' Covid is a threat to our health. Statistically, it isn't.

I understand that but if that’s the reason given for not getting the vaccine then people aren’t thinking things through. There will always be exceptions but surely to **** the masses get that by now. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Yes it would be preferable if they were honest but it’s the Govt we are talking about isn’t it ?  There was some honest at the beginning but that  quickly got muffled see meme 

59 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Your right it’s minuscule if younger than 50 and no underlying health conditions . If u are both and obese then there may be more of a risk . 

2C414493-F3AA-4EE2-AF8C-529EDBA4E36E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gards said:

James - the risk is mutation of the virus.  We know this virus mutates - that's a proven fact.

The more people who are not vaccinated means the virus has a bigger pool to spread around and mutate in.  And one of those mutations will not be affected by the current vaccinations and we have to start this all over again.

Was wondering if someone more clued up on the vaccine could answer this question for me, as there may be an obvious answer that I have missed in the news etc. 

My understanding is that people who have been vaccinated can still catch CV, however the vaccine essentially stops them from getting ill from it. If vaccinated people can still catch CV and become a host for the virus, why can’t it mutate within a vaccinated person?

Quoted yourself Gards as you mentioned the topic in your above post, but really just an open question to anyone.

JudyJudyJudy

So does anyone know where you find out which vaccine you will be receiving before you go to test centre? . I have my appointment next week at EICC  and would like to know ? 

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I can't be arsed looking back and I can't think of seeing anything anywhere else.  Would taking a course of low dose aspirin around the time of having the vaccine lessen the chance of getting a blood clot? GPs advocate it for patients who may be prone to a stroke, so why not for this?  Am I missing something obvious?

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So does anyone know where you find out which vaccine you will be receiving before you go to test centre? . I have my appointment next week at EICC  and would like to know ? 

My one was at the EICC and it was A/Z.

Just waiting to hear about my second jag.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I can't be arsed looking back and I can't think of seeing anything anywhere else.  Would taking a course of low dose aspirin around the time of having the vaccine lessen the chance of getting a blood clot? GPs advocate it for patients who may be prone to a stroke, so why not for this?  Am I missing something obvious?

As far as i am aware there are no medically trained people on this topic ( hard to believe ) so I’d advise you to call your GP about it initially . 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

My one was at the EICC and it was A/Z.

Just waiting to hear about my second jag.

Ah ok ! Didn’t want to hear that lol but thanks anyway for that information 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JamesM48 said:

My first one was over 9 weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I don’t think you find out which vaccine you are getting beforehand. You just find out when you turn up, although as others have said it seems EICC is very much AZ. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My first one was over 9 weeks ago.

👍 and your still here so that’s positive 😂👍

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, TheOak88 said:

I don’t think you find out which vaccine you are getting beforehand. You just find out when you turn up, although as others have said it seems EICC is very much AZ. 

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Why not ? You’re not heading down the dramatic route are you ? Like nearly all medicines it is safe with risk of side effects. Ignore the headlines and look at the numbers. 

42 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I understand that but if that’s the reason given for not getting the vaccine then people aren’t thinking things through. There will always be exceptions but surely to **** the masses get that by now. 

What's the thinking it through though?

Being vaccinated doesn't stop you getting the virus, so it can still mutate, yes maybe slightly less so but I've yet to see that being proven. So what is the benefit to young people of getting vaccinated?

And don't say because they need a vaccine certificate, that's not the reason for them being vaccinated, that's a tool to make it happen.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Why not ? You’re not heading down the dramatic route are you ? Like nearly all medicines it is safe with risk of side effects. Ignore the headlines and look at the numbers. 

If you had “ tuned “ in yesterday to this you would have noted I was more concerned about never ending boosters than the original one or two jabs . Not comfortable with that . Yes I acknowledge that the blood clots / side effects risks is minimal like any medication one takes . 

27 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Was wondering if someone more clued up on the vaccine could answer this question for me, as there may be an obvious answer that I have missed in the news etc. 

My understanding is that people who have been vaccinated can still catch CV, however the vaccine essentially stops them from getting ill from it. If vaccinated people can still catch CV and become a host for the virus, why can’t it mutate within a vaccinated person?

Quoted yourself Gards as you mentioned the topic in your above post, but really just an open question to anyone.

It's the trusty maybe, hopefully, potentially it might perhaps help reduce that risk as far as I know

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic