Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Fire_At_The_Disco
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You could just about get away with making a case for any inside work as essential.

The police aren't even checking up on tradesmen, that's how much of a grey area it is

They are here Nucky, I personally know 6 who have been fined and heard of a good few more. I want to go out but can’t afford a grand x 3 men....it’s a no win for some of us. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Who mentioned Wetherspoons?. The power crazy wee s**te would love to control how and when we drink alcohol.

He's a good Tory though, Enzo. Know's how to make a few quid and how to keep a hold of it. 👍

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

They are here Nucky, I personally know 6 who have been fined and heard of a good few more. I want to go out but can’t afford a grand x 3 men....it’s a no win for some of us. 

That's a really shitey situation, Tambo, I feel for you, mate.

Do you work for some other ****er or run your own mob?

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Do you stay in a small town Tambo?

I can imagine it would be harder to work in a place where everybody knows each other

36 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Who mentioned Wetherspoons?. The power crazy wee s**te would love to control how and when we drink alcohol. Don't delude yourself otherwise. 

You mean, like licensing laws and the like that public houses already operate under? So it always has been controlled - and at times, far more controlled than it is now.

Maybe it should be tighter controlled though, as the pish you're coming out with surely doesn't emanate from someone sober. :P

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He's a good Tory though, Enzo. Know's how to make a few quid and how to keep a hold of it. 👍

Spot on Guv'nr.  Got to admire anyone who can steer their hard-earned through the choppy waters of State tax grabs. 👍

God to see the FM has not changed a bit

Still has to be different for no medical reasons but just to show her 'leadership qualities'

Truly as it stands (and no one knows how the next few weeks will go) she is simply holding up progress on the road to recovery

Never thought I'd say this but I'd rather live in Boris's world than live in hers...dour, depressing and with a total lack of detail contained within her proposals

The good news is she'll lead her party to a less than successful election outcome in May....lets be honest all she wants is all to be clear by then so she can continue to make false promises of recovery to the electorate at the time of the vote

Still she's managed to kiss the backside of the teaching unions and leave Scottish pupils up to a month behind some of those down south...well done FM....OH AND WE'VE ALREADY FORGOTTEN ABOUT YOUR LEVELS NONSENSE

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You can’t honestly believe that. 

If you're asking whether I think Sturgeon would like to see the demise of the traditional pub then yes, I think she probably would. Just look at all the flawed, amateurish,  legislation covering everything from football songs, to named persons to bills on "hate" speech, all of which ended up being removed. Look at her treatment of hospitality,  alcohol in particular. Seriously, do you not have concerns she may be a control freak??

11 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

You mean, like licensing laws and the like that public houses already operate under? So it always has been controlled - and at times, far more controlled than it is now.

Maybe it should be tighter controlled though, as the pish you're coming out with surely doesn't emanate from someone sober. :P

I know it's been controlled, you're stating the bleeding obvious.  I'm talking about more control. She's a wee  feckin tyrant.

Fire_At_The_Disco
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's a really shitey situation, Tambo, I feel for you, mate.

Do you work for some other ****er or run your own mob?

My own company mate, it’s horrendous for the mental health too.....at least I’ll know how to do the dishes and hoover when I get back to it lol. 

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If you're asking whether I think Sturgeon would like to see the demise of the traditional pub then yes, I think she probably would. Just look at all the flawed, amateurish,  legislation covering everything from football songs, to named persons to bills on "hate" speech, all of which ended up being removed. Look at her treatment of hospitality,  alcohol in particular. Seriously, do you not have concerns she may be a control freak??

👍

Fire_At_The_Disco
18 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Do you stay in a small town Tambo?

I can imagine it would be harder to work in a place where everybody knows each other

Sort of mate but some folk are just nosey basas and will grass you in just for the banter. 

4 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Sort of mate but some folk are just nosey basas and will grass you in just for the banter. 

Yes we have turned into a nation of " grasses" sorry " People doing their civic duty" ..

Weakened Offender
40 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes, you're right. I apologise. 

Now it's your turn. 😉

I think they've done OK with the schools to be honest. I think there should be some serious discussion with the teachers unions with a view to shortening the Easter and Summer holidays this year, maybe offering a financial incentive or more holidays over an extended period, say 2-3 years. Wont happen though. 

Theyve got the wee ones back pretty quickly, have a plan for the upper primaries and a date for the high school kids. The online stuff second time around has been better than the first lockdown. 

The keyworker/vulnerable services have operated throughout too. Far from perfect but definitely OK. 

Theyve fed the wee buggers too. 😉

Weakened Offender
50 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

😁

15 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

My concerns with Nicola sturgeon and her husband is that they are more interested in the SNP being in government than they are about the cause of independence.  Travelling along the path to independence they have become obsessed with party politics and winning elections. Many unionist see the failings of the Scottish Government down to its obsession with independence but in my view it is about retaining power, just the same as effects long term governing parties at Westminster.  

So I am not a fan if NS, I do still vote SNP and am a party member, but one that wants independence more than control of a devolved parliament.

What has this to do with a Covid thread? Well plenty on here think that the independence issue forms her views and policy on COVID, but I don’t think it forms any of her policies.  

So I think she is a power freak, her husband is a control freak within the party, but I don’t think they have any real desire to control everyday lives of people. If they wanted to alter the licensing laws for example they could easily have done it by now.

That's an interesting point Brian. Yes, in common with other Unionists,  I have always thought of her being obsessed with Independence rather than governing. But you may well be right, you will have a different perspective, being a supporter. 

What is playing out with the Salmond situation is extremely unhealthy and doesn't paint our democratic institutions in a good light. The way people like Salmond and Joanne Cherry have been treated does point to a power hungry cabal led by the Murrells.  

Yes, I agree, she could change the licensing laws but, imo, she would prefer to do it by stealth, changing cultures and attitudes, under the guise of Covid and keeping us "safe". As I say though, good to read your perspective on it.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree, she could change the licensing laws but, imo, she would prefer to do it by stealth, changing cultures and attitudes, under the guise of Covid and keeping us "safe". As I say though, good to read your perspective on it.

To be fair, Enzo, there's a few cultures and attitudes that could do with a spot of changing. 

Governor Tarkin
47 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

My own company mate, it’s horrendous for the mental health too.....at least I’ll know how to do the dishes and hoover when I get back to it lol. 

Chuck your men shovels and tell them they're now in the driveway game.

Seriously though, you probably feel responsible for your employees too, and that's a lot to have on your mind. If you need to bend the rules to get through it, then bend the rules to get through it - but don't beat yourself up about it.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

(Am I doing this right?)

:spoton:

And your previous post was a good one too. 👍

She seems afraid to treat Glasgow differently to the rest of the country so everyone else has to suffer accordingly.

Purely political imo.

Weakened Offender
18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Your first paragraph highlights that too many actors have interests beyond the fundamental one of teaching the nation's future. Instead, we've got the teachers' unions and their tantrum-esque demands, while the government just cave for fear of losing votes. 

I disagree that they have got them back quickly. It's almost two months since they were in school.

And while the online stuff has been better, it is still very much a poor excuse for the excellent work that goes on in classrooms, face to face. The provision has resulted in many teachers being nothing more than materials compilers, tech support lackies and emoticon distributors. That's not what they're trained to do, and not what kids need.

Meh.

So we're agreed that it's been OK but not perfect. 👍

Footballfirst
20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I disagree that they have got them back quickly. It's almost two months since they were in school.

It was nearly five months last time round

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Is Sturgeon's best mate Devi still comparing Covid to measles? :laugh:

Sturgeon mentioned measles today. Now I know where it's coming from :biggrin2:

45 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I  suspect teachers and their Union will, like on here, have very varied and differing views on Covid, lockdown and home schooling.  As do parents about sending kids to school.

Our old friend Devi would have schools back tomorrow, if she had her way.

The Real Maroonblood
48 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

She seems afraid to treat Glasgow differently to the rest of the country so everyone else has to suffer accordingly.

Purely political imo.

:rofl:

Fxxx the SPFL
40 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Is Sturgeon's best mate Devi still comparing Covid to measles? :laugh:

can't believe she used that as analogy to compare with what BJ stated bout treating Covid going forward as the if it was the same as the flu i.e. deaths hospitalisations etc Jesus Christ how many folk die from measles or end up in hospital what a ***** of a statement. 

It’s 20 weeks since the 16 day circuit breaker happened. Today’s announcement was lacking in details but gives the impression for more of a Big Bang from end of April by using furlough and week before the election so can say we are on the road to recovery 

Toxteth O'Grady

See this levels shit.

We need to guard the borders of Edinburgh with pitchforks to keep out virus importations or we will never be allowed out again. 

Analogy of the day from Donald Macleod on STV just now talking about today’s road map. 

”Listening to Sturgeon today was like driving along a pot holed road into a brick wall!” 

5 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I think that under 12s are allowed to do non-contact training. My daughter is 5 and  is still attending a Saturday morning class. The classes are shorter, less coaches and is non contact training. 

Correct.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here is the Imperial College modelling that helped inform the BoJo plans.

If I've read it correctly, England will be looking at another 55,000 deaths.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963440/S1129__Unlocking__Roadmap_Scenarios_for_England_.pdf

if the modelling for Scotland comes up with similar numbers in relation to now and then it shouldn’t be a surprise if many on here voluntary stay in lockdown or campaign for a different approach

I think when the approximate uk numbers hit 80k deaths there were posts like “ ... make it stop ...” and any attempt to have an adult discussion about an ‘acceptable’ number of deaths was shouted down like only selfishness on a mental health impairment scale could envisage such - think the Tory woman who used to narrate shopping city got a pile of stick around that time too

to add to the confusion the 50k excess deaths a few years ago didn’t seem to cause too much of a stir

people worried about restrictions being imposed - I can’t see a good few on here reclaiming their lives in the knowledge of big numbers still dying

any chance you’ve misread it or is there a scenario with considerably lower deaths?

7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here is the Imperial College modelling that helped inform the BoJo plans.

If I've read it correctly, England will be looking at another 55,000 deaths.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963440/S1129__Unlocking__Roadmap_Scenarios_for_England_.pdf

That scenario involved unlocking at various stages, including right now iirc. Following Boris's roadmap was not expected to lead to 80k deaths .Chris Whitty was talking in the region of normal annual flu/other respiratory death levels. 

I think, in general though, that the public are now conditioned in to hearing big numbers of deaths , without any context whatsoever.  That was a deliberate tactic in order to frighten people in to complying with the restrictions.  Going forward, it needs to be explained to the public that there are thousands of deaths each winter, from various flus,  pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses. We don't "lockdown" in a normal year and we won't be in future. The NHS is there to protect the public,  not the other way round.

Footballfirst
45 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That scenario involved unlocking at various stages, including right now iirc. Following Boris's roadmap was not expected to lead to 80k deaths .Chris Whitty was talking in the region of normal annual flu/other respiratory death levels. 

I think, in general though, that the public are now conditioned in to hearing big numbers of deaths , without any context whatsoever.  That was a deliberate tactic in order to frighten people in to complying with the restrictions.  Going forward, it needs to be explained to the public that there are thousands of deaths each winter, from various flus,  pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses. We don't "lockdown" in a normal year and we won't be in future. The NHS is there to protect the public,  not the other way round.

Scenario 1 was the earliest unlocking (26 April) which was that suggested by the CRG element of the Tories. The estimated deaths in that scenario was 91,000.

Scenarios 5a and 5b were closest to what BoJo has come up with, but even those are less ambitious than what is proposed with the full lifting of restrictions delayed until 16 July.

Footballfirst

Further to the modelling above, the 55,000 should be seen in the context of the number of deaths expected until June 2022. That is approximately 70 weeks away, so an average of 786 a week or 112 a day.  Given that England is currently averaging around 400 a day, a fair proportion of the deaths will occur in the next three months or so until the vaccine rollout covers all the adult population.  The modelling assumption is that the final take up of those eligible to receive the vaccine will be 79.1%. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Further to the modelling above, the 55,000 should be seen in the context of the number of deaths expected until June 2022. That is approximately 70 weeks away, so an average of 786 a week or 112 a day.  Given that England is currently averaging around 400 a day, a fair proportion of the deaths will occur in the next three months or so until the vaccine rollout covers all the adult population.  The modelling assumption is that the final take up of those eligible to receive the vaccine will be 79.1%. 

i thought boris would have done this last year - opened up and ‘accepted’ a large number deaths - the upcoming winter and the expected carnage (acknowledged even by the anti - lockdown scientists) probably put paid to that but looks like the decision has been made that at some point we just have to open up

theres a lot of people who’s principals in protecting the elderly and vulnerable I don’t think will accept this trade off especially with successful vaccines still 55k deaths

possibly the reason sturgeon is holding fire as she probably realises too many of the Scottish people will not feel comfortable going back to their normal lives (albeit with face masks etc) while the equivalent of 55k deaths ‘accepted’ to happen in Scotland 

in such a complex situation there are no definitive right and wrong answers but going by what has been witnessed over the last year or so I can’t see a large proportion of the public just (in not the best language) shrugging that number of deaths off

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It looks like vaccine passports/certificate are going to be utilised for foreign travel and certain activities in this country.

Dont like it but can understand the logic. 

Completely opposed to any type of vaccine passport - sends us down a slipperly slope as far as I'm concerned.....especially for those who can't legitimately get a a vaccine - we saying they can never travel again?

Base it on negative tests until the overall population in the world has been vaccinated - or a combination of vaccine proof and/or negative tests.

Even saw some nonsense about not being allowed into clubs if you can't prove you haven't had your vaccine....nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Gards said:

Completely opposed to any type of vaccine passport - sends us down a slipperly slope as far as I'm concerned.....especially for those who can't legitimately get a a vaccine - we saying they can never travel again?

Base it on negative tests until the overall population in the world has been vaccinated - or a combination of vaccine proof and/or negative tests.

Even saw some nonsense about not being allowed into clubs if you can't prove you haven't had your vaccine....nonsense.

It is a bit of a nonsense but if it does happen surely though who can’t get the vaccine for legitimate reasons will get some sort of exemption certificate that will allow them the same sort of freedoms that the passport does. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It is a bit of a nonsense but if it does happen surely though who can’t get the vaccine for legitimate reasons will get some sort of exemption certificate that will allow them the same sort of freedoms that the passport does. 

And those who elect not to get vaccine due to moral/other grounds....they're not allowed to travel or frequent the areas which will enforce proof of a vaccine.

Nah, not for me....and I'll be getting my vaccination so this isn't a selfish thing...just don't like that path that leads.

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Be prepared for a rise in Jehovah Witnesses! 

Brighton Jambo
14 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

My concerns with Nicola sturgeon and her husband is that they are more interested in the SNP being in government than they are about the cause of independence.  Travelling along the path to independence they have become obsessed with party politics and winning elections. Many unionist see the failings of the Scottish Government down to its obsession with independence but in my view it is about retaining power, just the same as effects long term governing parties at Westminster.  

So I am not a fan if NS, I do still vote SNP and am a party member, but one that wants independence more than control of a devolved parliament.

What has this to do with a Covid thread? Well plenty on here think that the independence issue forms her views and policy on COVID, but I don’t think it forms any of her policies.  

So I think she is a power freak, her husband is a control freak within the party, but I don’t think they have any real desire to control everyday lives of people. If they wanted to alter the licensing laws for example they could easily have done it by now.

This is a good post.  I disagree slightly as I think she has tried to create her own approach to demonstrate that Scotland can go it’s own way and be successful.

Yesterday she got it badly wrong and misjudged the mood of the people which to be fair is unlike her.  She didn’t need to go as far as Boris with such a long term view but she needed to give much more details to help business but also give people hope.  See the link below.  I can’t recall seeing such a universally damning set of headlines for her and certainly not in relation to Covid.  

To your point about power this so not what she wants in the run up to an election.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56179325

12 minutes ago, Gards said:

And those who elect not to get vaccine due to moral/other grounds....they're not allowed to travel or frequent the areas which will enforce proof of a vaccine.

Nah, not for me....and I'll be getting my vaccination so this isn't a selfish thing...just don't like that path that leads.

It’s not for me either and the works will be at such different stages and age groups of the vaccination program that it appears unworkable. However part of me thinks if a person refuses the vaccine just because you don’t fancy it or some made up moral pish then you’re a probably a bit of a dick so I am quite happy for them to be treated as such when trying to go on holiday. 

Edited by Dazo

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Correct.  The period from opening up until the end of the vaccination campaign (first generation) is the particularly hazardous period.  Large swathe of the population not vaccinated and little suppression.  It's a limited time but clearly the calculation is that it is the 'acceptable' cost of unlocking.  It's probably unavoidable as we couldn't stay in lockdown until and through the summer.

22 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This is a good post.  I disagree slightly as I think she has tried to create her own approach to demonstrate that Scotland can go it’s own way and be successful.

Yesterday she got it badly wrong and misjudged the mood of the people which to be fair is unlike her.  She didn’t need to go as far as Boris with such a long term view but she needed to give much more details to help business but also give people hope.  See the link below.  I can’t recall seeing such a universally damning set of headlines for her and certainly not in relation to Covid.  

To your point about power this so not what she wants in the run up to an election.  

Clicked on your link to see all the negative headlines apart from the cracker in the National “ Much brighter times ahead” 

28 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

There will need to be and will be a revisal of the SG route map.  As someone said,  it's a route map to a different lockdown.  Rightly or wrongly it wont stand up against England's plan.  There's way too much divergence.  I would expect Scotland to get a revised route map fairly quickly.

Geoff Kilpatrick
51 minutes ago, Gards said:

Disagree. "No jab, no aeroplane". There's no way this country will allow people in without a vaccine, unless they want to be in self-funded quarantine for a couple of weeks.

Brighton Jambo
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There will need to be and will be a revisal of the SG route map.  As someone said,  it's a route map to a different lockdown.  Rightly or wrongly it wont stand up against England's plan.  There's way too much divergence.  I would expect Scotland to get a revised route map fairly quickly.

I agree.  I think we were all expecting a bit more caution but I wasn’t expecting the lack of detail.   It genuinely felt like they just hadn’t done the work and thought they could give this update with the promise of more in three weeks and people would accept it.

She/they have totally misjudged the mood and expectations of the people which as I said earlier is unusual for the pandemic.  

8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Disagree. "No jab, no aeroplane". There's no way this country will allow people in without a vaccine, unless they want to be in self-funded quarantine for a couple of weeks.

Will be seconds before the first round of lawsuits head in the direction of the airlines/governments who try to implement that.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic