Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hearing the same. There’s a company coming round to put a block paving driveway down for me on Monday and he’s never been so busy. 

Perhaps also a case of money sitting there needing spent that would have otherwise been spent on holidays?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

😁

Yup, as soon as I posted I realised that it was open to erm... ‘misinterpretation’

How about ‘may one invite members of a different household into one’s garden?’

🤣🤣 Thats them Tory Farmers keys in the bowl parties again

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Gardening facilities allowed aren't they?

Tenuous with a new driveway.

Was either pay to get the garden landscaped or pave it. I thought outdoor construction work was ok but didn’t look into it tbh. 

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Re your first point: yes, absolutely. I'm sure my stance will be vindicated in the months and years ahead as we see what the real effects of the lockdowns are.

Re your second point: We could tie ourselves in knots for years worrying about variants, mutations, and so on. Children and teachers are, on the whole, not impacted by CV19. Closing schools, for weeks/months at a time, and the paltry offering of 'remote learning' in its place, has been an act of vandalism on the future by the the WM and HR governments, aided and abetted by the lacklustre 'opposition'. 

If we are closing schools then we should be closing supermarkets/food shops, or at the very least severely restricting access.

Schools in the UK are shut because of the fear of the teaching union kicking off. In France, they remain open because the parents "union" is far stronger than the teachers.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Perhaps also a case of money sitting there needing spent that would have otherwise been spent on holidays?

Certainly true in my case. That’s exactly where the cash is coming from. I put away a bit each month for holidays and just decided I’m not bothering this year, regardless of restrictions being lifted. 

Wife not that pleased at my decision. 🙁

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Re your first point: yes, absolutely. I'm sure my stance will be vindicated in the months and years ahead as we see what the real effects of the lockdowns are.

Think you'll find that the countries who did lockdown properly will be vindicated in their stance....and the UK and many others are not in that boat.  But there were others who did lockdown and are now coming out of it both population and economically better than many others.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Was either pay to get the garden landscaped or pave it. I thought outdoor construction work was ok but didn’t look into it tbh. 

I thought it was/is tbf as well. The indoor stuff is where people are pushing it a bit I think. New kitchens for example, whilst there's nothing functionally wrong with the existing one etc

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Certainly true in my case. That’s exactly where the cash is coming from. I put away a bit each month for holidays and just decided I’m not bothering this year, regardless of restrictions being lifted. 

Just wait for a sunny day, put the deckchairs out onto your newly paved driveway, make a couple of tequila cocktails, put on some flamenco music, shut your eyes, and Bob's your Uncle. :thumbsup:

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hearing the same. There’s a company coming round to put a block paving driveway down for me on Monday and he’s never been so busy. 

I did my own block driveway when I was on furlough. Bit of rendering and landscaping and that. Had about a dozen folk see me working and ask me to give them a quote.

I was considering jacking in the day job and starting up, as it's hard graft but piss easy. My brother in law does it as a sideline and scoops around a grand a week on top of his regular wage.

Very weather dependent though. I wouldn't fancy being involved in groundworks/ landscaping over the winter months.

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I did my own block driveway when I was on furlough. Bit of rendering and landscaping and that. Had about a dozen folk see me working and ask me to give them a quote.

I was considering jacking in the day job and starting up, as it's hard graft but piss easy. My brother in law does it as a sideline and scoops around a grand a week on top of his regular wage.

Very weather dependent though. I wouldn't fancy being involved in groundworks/ landscaping over the winter months.

But before the blocks do you use a thwacker and a layer or just through the dabs down on the ground? :)

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye it’s not cheap. Good on you for doing it yourself. Never realised all the digging involved, hard core and all that shenanigans, boy said the actual laying of the block is a piece of piss . Is it really noisy? Wondering if I should warn the neighbours. 

Edited by GinRummy

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Re your second point: We could tie ourselves in knots for years worrying about variants, mutations, and so on. Children and teachers are, on the whole, not impacted by CV19. Closing schools, for weeks/months at a time, and the paltry offering of 'remote learning' in its place, has been an act of vandalism on the future by the the WM and HR governments, aided and abetted by the lacklustre 'opposition'. 

You'll need to agree a figure for increased deaths from not having lockdown before you can be 'vindicated'. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Aye it’s not cheap. Good on you for doing it yourself. Never realised all the digging involved, hard core and all that shenanigans, boy said the actual laying of the block is a piece of piss . Is it really noisy? Wondering if I should warm the neighbours

By setting fire to their houses?

Just now, jonesy said:

It goes beyond that, though, Gards.

The negative impact of lockdowns and job losses will never be measured to the same extent as the daily case fetish and the unreliable death figures. Countries like NZ shit the bed everytime one case of CV19 is found. That's just as bonkers as keeping things open.

There are massive cultural and societal difference between the UK (and western Europe in general) and the Asian success stories that make any comparison superficial at best.

Going to have to agree to disagree there.  Think the model NZ/Aus did (whilst draconian at times) is looking like the better approach....Aus started their vaccination rollout this week and are in pretty good shape overall.  I'd rather now have their short/sharp lockdowns for a few days and everything then opens back up as normal.

I think there's definitely logistical challenges with the UK which made it harder....but it could have been done...we just didn't want to do the hard work...imho

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Given the elasticity of the figures produced from official sources thus far, I don't think I'll bother. Lockdowns have already ruined plenty of lives. Those people aren't counted anywhere except in our hearts.

Probably 600,000 deaths if no lockdown.

Massive knock on effects from that. Possibly a destroyed NHS and 20 years of court action for negligence that would dwarf any costs, which there are of course. 

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

Your are not allowed to enjoy yourself in Sturgeons Scotland.

New state run bars will open from July, just as soon as she can decimate the remaining pubs. Vouchers will be issued to all citizens and discount schemes will operate for those who have never done a day's work in their life. That's the "progressive" plan.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

But before the blocks do you use a thwacker and a layer or just through the dabs down on the ground? :)

100 - 200mm Type 1 then whack it, (depends on the sub strata, and if your car is one of those wee fiat bubble things or a gas-guzzling Chelsea tractor).

50mm screed of whin dust (really important to get this bit right).

Place the blocks in - cover with a thin layer of kiln dried sand, and whack the **** out of them.

Brush more kiln dried sand into the joints

Obviously this is a simplification, but it really is that easy.

Nucky Thompson

UK figures. 8,489 new positive cases out of 670,560 new tests carried out

548 deaths, down from 799 last Tuesday

16,797 people in hospital, a drop of 5,000 in a week

UK figures are still falling at a fast rate.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:thumb:

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Vaccines starting to whack Covid out the ball park. Good news👍

joondalupjambo
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

100 - 200mm Type 1 then whack it, (depends on the sub strata, and if your car is one of those wee fiat bubble things or a gas-guzzling Chelsea tractor).

50mm screed of whin dust (really important to get this bit right).

Place the blocks in - cover with a thin layer of kiln dried sand, and whack the **** out of them.

Brush more kiln dried sand into the joints

Obviously this is a simplification, but it really is that easy.

Yep I am with you.

When I lived in Oz so many folk did their own driveways and more or less as you say above.  Guys who went out in business suits one minute were in shorts and Japanese safety boots (flip flops!!) the next thwacking away until their hearts content.   I gave it a go, and if you follow the steps correctly it is an easy job, turned out great.

The thwacking was the best bit but it was the block cutting that was a pain, like finishing a jigsaw.  

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye it’s not cheap. Good on you for doing it yourself. Never realised all the digging involved, hard core and all that shenanigans, boy said the actual laying of the block is a piece of piss . Is it really noisy? Wondering if I should warn the neighbours. 

They wee diggers are great fun to piss about on though, as long as there are no buried services.

I dug my own out by hand because there was **** all else to do and the gyms were shut. Gets you in shape and you have a new respect for all those navvies that built the railways. I filled 4 8-yard skips between the old driveway and the excavations for all the new stuff. 25 tons easy.

If the fall out from covid doesn't look like it's going to totally destroy the economy and leave us all destitute, the brother and law and I might start up later this year.

My current industry is being absolutely savaged.

Edit. Yes, it's really noisy. :)

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The thwacking was the best bit but it was the block cutting that was a pain, like finishing a jigsaw.  

That's what apprentices are for. 👍

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

They wee diggers are great fun to piss about on though, as long as there are no buried services.

I dug my own out by hand because there was **** all else to do and the gyms were shut. Gets you in shape and you have a new respect for all those navvies that built the railways. I filled 4 8-yard skips between the old driveway and the excavations for all the new stuff. 25 tons easy.

If the fall out from covid doesn't look like it's going to totally destroy the economy and leave us all destitute, the brother and law and I might start up later this year.

It’s certainly a popular thing. Could be a good line to get into. Margins must be really good as well. 

William H. Bonney
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Edit. Yes, it's really noisy. :)

If I kill my family in the next couple of weeks I might ask you for a patio quote. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

If I kill my family in the next couple of weeks I might ask you for a patio quote. 

Feel free. 👍

roguesgallery2.gif

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

For those following the father in law vaccine drama, he still ain’t be done. 

The wife was contacted twice over weekend by call centre to see if he’s done and reassured matters were escalated. The FM’s office replied giving a case number a generic we’ll look into it. 

The wife has found out the issues seems to be he’s on a list for home vaccination. She has had that confirmed by the GP’s now. 

So he now waiting on someone to turn up to his house to jab him up. ETA, no ****ing clue. 

He’s cranky as about it. He gets it will happen but he feels forgotten. To make matters worse his other daughter, who is under 50, has received her notification for jab. 

I do wish I had been in the room when that news had broke. I have stopped even joking about it, as it has long passed the humour point for him. 

I have followed your posts and think it is awful how he has been treated. It is a shame that nobody took on ownership of the situation and saw it through to an end. 

I imagine experiences like this are in the tiny minority but it is frustrating as hell when it affects you or yours. 

On a cheerier note I have my appointment for a jag/jab on Monday. It is a drive thru one, wonder if I can ask for fries with it :) 

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Summary of today's announcement.

Mentioned it earlier but that essential retail bit nips my head. What's changing to suddenly make more things essential in phase 3? Just be honest about it and call them permitted retail because it's an arbitrary selection rather than whether they are essential or not.

- at least six people from two household can meet outdoors 

That also reads really weird to me as though <6 people from two households cannot meet outdoors 😂😂

Nice to see it laid out like that though, on the whole it seems pretty good 👍

Edited by Taffin

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Probably 600,000 deaths if no lockdown.

Massive knock on effects from that. Possibly a destroyed NHS and 20 years of court action for negligence that would dwarf any costs, which there are of course. 

600,000 ? That’s the biggest estimate I’ve seen

is there a link to the maths behind that?

Nucky Thompson
44 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Make your dough in 10 months and have January and February off. 

A couple of weeks in the Canaries to recharge the batteries before starting again in March :thumbsup:

Except this year, right enough :(

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Mentioned it earlier but that essential retail but nips my head. What's changing to suddenly make more things essential in phase 3? Just be honest about it and call them permitted retail because it's an arbitrary selection rather than whether they are essential or not.

That also reads really weird to me as though <6 people from two households cannot meet outdoors 😂😂

I had to have a wee laugh at the second bullet point in Phase 4.  I cannot get parked in the village at the moment for Tradies vans :)

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

News from Fraser George and Associates - Providing expert witness services  to the legal profession and private individuals.

willie wallace

Just had my first jag and was wondering if it is ok to have a celebratory drink🙄

Forgot to ask the nurse and can't see anything in the leaflets.

I received the Pfizer one.Wonder what the split is in Scotland.

Very impressive set up at Ingliston.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Make your dough in 10 months and have January and February off. 

A couple of weeks in the Canaries to recharge the batteries before starting again in March :thumbsup:

Except this year, right enough :(

If you need someone to come in and do the fancy work, Nucky, just give me a bell.  :D

Nucky Thompson
Just now, willie wallace said:

Just had my first jag and was wondering if it is ok to have a celebratory drink🙄

You should maybe e-mail Nicola 

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Mentioned it earlier but that essential retail bit nips my head. What's changing to suddenly make more things essential in phase 3? Just be honest about it and call them permitted retail because it's an arbitrary selection rather than whether they are essential or not.

There was a change to the definition from the original "essential retail" when we entered this lockdown.  The original version included hardware and garden centres like B&Q and Dobbies. I'd expect that they will be reinstated into the essential category.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If you need someone to come in and do the fancy work, Nucky, just give me a bell.  :D

You seem to have found your niche filling skips :biggrin2:

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You seem to have found your niche filling skips :biggrin2:

A bit of role reversal there, hey. :lol:

Skip-rats have feelings too.

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Summary of today's announcement.

It's all & well change to outdoor meetings, but not much use if you live in different LA areas!!

Window dressing at it's best, as expected.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Sorry, what lot am I a part of? The one that doesn't go mental at an entirely predictable statement from the FM? 

BTW The Scottish Government does have form for speeding up the lifting of restrictions when the numbers show it is safe to do so......

You're wasting your time on that lot mate. 

11 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

I received the Pfizer one.Wonder what the split is in Scotland.

Very impressive set up at Ingliston.

Had a beer or 4 after my vaccine the other day (also the Pfizer one).

After looking online, there doesn't seem to be any interactions with alcohol, or reasons you can't have a swally.  Didn't do me any harm, and the only side effect was a small hangover :lol:

:cheers: 

When we go back into a tier system how will the government decide what tiers you go into? 

Just say figures rise when school kids go back especially the teenage ones but the deaths are near zero and hospitals empty would they still put you in a heigh tier due to the younger generation having Covid but they don’t show much symptoms as doesn’t really affect them so no need for them to go to hospital 

Hope the above makes sense 

Nucky Thompson
Just now, willie wallace said:

And here was me thinking I could safely post on here😟

I'm pulling your leg :biggrin2:

I got the letter today and there is nothing in the leaflet about not drinking alcohol after the jab.

You'll be fine. Enjoy :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

I am guessing that BJ was probably under pressure from his back bencher's and the bigger business groups to put dates into his road map on the basis they would argue strongly that planning is required for the economic path.  The problem now is that BJ has dates but every time you turn on the telly folk chatting down south seem to be working to these dates not using them as possible's or as a from date.  I understand business needs to plan, folk are weary and so on but this could really bite BJ's bum big time if he has to pull back and revert to a even more cautious approach.  I also understand that optimism is a good thing and BJ is trying to give people hope.  I get where he is at.  

Up here all I know is it is historic, in our DNA and we do not seem to be such an optimistic bunch, more doom and gloom and glass half full types.  And I include myself in that at times, perhaps it is how we have been educated and/or brought up.  NS does not do optimism and that style obviously appeals to the masses or I honestly do not believe she would continue with that.  Today's announcements, and the way they were delivered were, for me part of the plan to get the people to put the crosses in the right boxes in May.  

Time will tell how this all pans out but I am off to Garve on a walking holiday on 6th June come hell or high water :)

Great post

50 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

New state run bars will open from July, just as soon as she can decimate the remaining pubs. Vouchers will be issued to all citizens and discount schemes will operate for those who have never done a day's work in their life. That's the "progressive" plan.

Imagine sitting in those pubs? They will be like the ones ive seen in films about the Eastern Bloc before the Berlin wall was smashed down...jezz what a thought...

45 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Incredible stats. Thanks for sharing. 

14 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

That come from the " Chris Whitty/ Neil Ferguson School of Numerology" 

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You should maybe e-mail Nicola 

LOL

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, theshed said:

When we go back into a tier system how will the government decide what tiers you go into? 

For Edinburgh, check Glasgow

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There was a change to the definition from the original "essential retail" when we entered this lockdown.  The original version included hardware and garden centres like B&Q and Dobbies. I'd expect that they will be reinstated into the essential category.

Yeh it makes sense what they're doing but Dobbies and B&Q either is, or isn't, essential though. They're expanding essential to include some non-essentials that they've chosen. I'm not digging them out as I agree with the move, just feel it highlights that it's very much selected retailer(s) rather than whether they actually are essential or not. There's not much that Dobbies sells that's remotely essential and any essential stuff you can get at B&Q will still be on sale at a merchant just now anyway.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic