Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

We should’ve stopped ALL flights back in March but we didn’t , now we know of two different variants, Sth African and Brazilian but STIL we allow flights in , were an island we have the perfect position to stop it coming in , but no we continue to blunder through 

Correct.

The UK Government half assed lockdown, reopen, repeat policy = economic and health disaster.

Great Barrington open everything up approach = even worse than the above.

Zero covid, elimination policy = the best way we could have got out of this mess and get some normality back.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

The schools need to go back asap.

Caught a bit of the dentist on the radio while out and about in the car today, and he even admitted that schools are not one of the main drivers of increased infection rates.

Jab up the teachers ahead of the octogenarians and you restore a serious amount of normality for a significant and valuable chunk of the revenue-generating adult population. You also increase the quality of education - something that neither the teaching unions nor the political leaders seem to have factored in. 

Failure to keep the schools open is, in many cases, causing working people either severe stress or forcing their hand when it comes to rather lumpy, bumpy 'bubbles'. 

Could not agree more, it is pretty obvious teachers should be near the front of the line.

Before pandemic kids being out of School for a day was a dent on their learning and future chances so goodness knows what this cluster fek has done.

15 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Could not agree more, it is pretty obvious teachers should be near the front of the line.

Before pandemic kids being out of School for a day was a dent on their learning and future chances so goodness knows what this cluster fek has done.

I don't trust a word that the dentist comes out with, considering he has consistently blamed hospitality and not once backed it up with data even when numbers kept rising after shutting it for 3 months.

I do agree that teachers should be near the front of the line for the jab, after those at medical risk.

They can't however consider reopening the schools while the rest of us remain in lockdown.  That makes no sense at all.

The latest news about making it more difficult to enter the country without testing is one partial step in the right direction from the governments.  Its obvious that asking people to quarantine isn't sufficient so they need containment hotels, which should be manageable with far fewer people travelling.  This needs to remain in place until both the vaccine rollout is complete, and other countries are safe to travel from.

27 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Correct.

The UK Government half assed lockdown, reopen, repeat policy = economic and health disaster.

Great Barrington open everything up approach = even worse than the above.

Zero covid, elimination policy = the best way we could have got out of this mess and get some normality back.

:spoton:

scott herbertson
46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The SG's priorities have been care home residents and health care workers (including NHS, care home and social care workers). In the most recent weekly PHS report, 23,487 care home residents had been vaccinated out of a total of 163k vaccinations carried out.  102K NHS, 25K care home staff and 8K social care staff had all been done in the same period.

https://beta.isdscotland.org/find-publications-and-data/population-health/covid-19/covid-19-statistical-report/

Looking at the latest Scotland/UK vaccination rates including todays numbers, Scotland has 8.18% of the UK population but has only carried out 6.95% of the UK's total. 

In terms of percentages of the population vaccinated, the UK has reported 4.84%, with Scotland lagging with 4.12%.

It's early days yet, but I'd be looking for Scotland to get closer to the UK rates.

Yes FF

I am hoping the difference is explained by the English Government doing community vaccination, not just the SG being slower

The CEO of Scottish Care Homes was an Radio Scotland.

All care residents in Greater Glasgow & Clyde and Fife have been vaccinated and all residents and staff WILL be vaccinated by end January target.

At least a bit of positivity.

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

The CEO of Scottish Care Homes was an Radio Scotland.

All care residents in Greater Glasgow & Clyde and Fife have been vaccinated and all residents and staff WILL be vaccinated by end January target.

At least a bit of positivity.

I was informed today my mums carehome will get their 1st vaccine jab on the 20th January.

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Quick one on the self isolation for incoming people. 

If I needed to go to an embassy to sort a visa for work (have to return to U.K. to get the visa) - is this a valid reason to be outside of your quarantined house/hotel as per government advice? Seems a bit of a grey area. 

From the gov.uk website:

In England, you may only leave your place of self-isolation in limited circumstances as set out in the national lockdown rules. Similar restrictions have been introduced in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 

From the lockdown rules:

There are further reasonable excuses. For example, you may leave home to fulfil legal obligations, or to carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a residential property, for the purpose of picketing, or where it is reasonably necessary for voting in an election or referendum.

I'd say yes.

It is work related that can't be done at home.  

You could delay doing to last minute if you wanted in the hope restrictions are lifted.  But in reality....

Edited by DETTY29

I don't work in a Care home but about as close as you can get. None of my colleagues have had the vaccine yet. Nor any clients, some of which are in the shielding category. However my mate who is a social worker told me that she is due to get hers next week.

Strange implementation.

8 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

I was informed today my mums carehome will get their 1st vaccine jab on the 20th January.

Great news.

I mentioned a couple of days ago my 80+ dad is booked in next week (his older brother too) at their local town halls.

My wife who is in social care has  been provided a link from her work to request hers.

And pals with wives in NHS all had first one too

Hopefully a bit of hope that despite what looks a slow start on pure numbers, it is progressing.

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I don't work in a Care home but about as close as you can get. None of my colleagues have had the vaccine yet. Nor any clients, some of which are in the shielding category. However my mate who is a social worker told me that she is due to get hers next week.

Strange implementation.

Yes Im a bit perplexed about who is getting the vaccine and who isnt. A friend of mine got it today at St Johns. She late 50s has asthma and works in residential care * but with young people in care . I assume that this work is viewed as priority too for the vaccine? 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes Im a bit perplexed about who is getting the vaccine and who isnt. A friend of mine got it today at St Johns. She late 50s has asthma and works in residential care * but with young people in care . I assume that this work is viewed as priority too for the vaccine? 

My mate's Mum is late 80s and confined to a wheelchair at home with home help.  Not heard a peep about getting her first jab.

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

My mate's Mum is late 80s and confined to a wheelchair at home with home help.  Not heard a peep about getting her first jab.

That's very poor.  She'll surely get a home visit GP vaccination but the GP should be providing information about what they intend to do,  even if they're not quite ready to perform the vaccinations.  

The common theme from GPs has been to not call them about vaccines.  Fine.  Provide some information about what you're doing then.  Website,  social media,  etc.  

29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Thats not good. It seems odd to me how my friend has got hers before your mum . ?  Maybe its to do with each local health authority?  She is in West Lothian.

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

208207 yesterday so the fairly steady 16.5k per day this week.

Still big ramp ups to get to 400k pw by end Feb

Cheers guys

26 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The rollout, while logistically challenging (mind you, for these governments, I think a piss up in a brewery would be, too), has generated some scandalous outcomes, not least of which, apparently, is one I heard tonight about goings on at the WGH.

What's going down at the WGH, Jonesy?

57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's very poor.  She'll surely get a home visit GP vaccination but the GP should be providing information about what they intend to do,  even if they're not quite ready to perform the vaccinations.  

The common theme from GPs has been to not call them about vaccines.  Fine.  Provide some information about what you're doing then.  Website,  social media,  etc.  

As I say below they put a note on the door and message on their website saying that but no indication when they will get it

51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thats not good. It seems odd to me how my friend has got hers before your mum . ?  Maybe its to do with each local health authority?  She is in West Lothian.

NW Edinburgh.  I posted earlier that as of last week the Crammond GP had not received any vaccine.  Looks like that is still the case.

https://www.cramondmedicalpractice.com/news.aspx?pr=S71129

47 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Señor Black, we agree on many things on here, but I do think this is one aspect we will struggle to find common ground on. Out of interest, do you have kids? (Not wanting to get into one of those As a parent... type of debates, but I do believe that depending on job, home and number of kids, the view on this one might change).

Kids out of school for months is damaging in the present and the future.

No kids but family in a couple of vulnerable groups.  I think we need to knuckle down after all these **** ups and get vaccination done and infections all but eliminated.

I see too much mixing with large groups of kids/young adults who are the biggest problem as none care about following the rules.

We can't keep yo-yoing to and from lockdowns.

I've a mate who volunteers in NHS (in wards)

He would normally be the healthy 50+group but was offered chance of his vaccine with the hospital staff before Christmas.

Suppose that is the $64k question.  There was supply to do him, he volunteers in a very vulnerable ward (admittedly only protects him until proven it works both ways) and didn't mean someone else missed out per the plan.

Maybe he got a shot that otherwise would have been thrown out?

Is that ethical?

7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Care home residents and staff and over 80s are planned to be done by 05 February.

Thats 75k + 250k in total.

They need to do a hell of a lot better for those elderly and vulnerable not in care homes.  It really isn't good enough in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They need to do a hell of a lot better for those elderly and vulnerable not in care homes.  It really isn't good enough in Scotland.

Another 850k to be done by mid February, i.e no more than 2 weeks later.

Footballfirst
14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Vaccinations cancelled and offered last minute.

Certain people who should probably be down the pecking order getting jabbed up.

Waste and want.

You really need to provide more info than hearsay.

Whose vaccinations were cancelled and why?

Who are the "certain people" who "should probably be down the pecking order"?

Evidence of waste?

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I can't. What do you want, photos and a filed report from Frank Drebin?

detail.0be63db5.jpeg.90604ea982e5eb11541158f5c329a3c4.jpeg

I'm only posting something I was told earlier this evening by someone who works at the WGH, which, given the vast amount of shite (most of it from me, TBT) so far on this thread, is pretty damn watertight.

It's common knowledge that second doses are being cancelled. It's also common knowledge that doses are being binned when the intended recipients don't appear. And I wouldn't be the first person to report that vaccine workers are calling up colleagues to offer them a 'going going gone' dose.

Nice beaver?

37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Cheers for the reply.

As you say, few young people care about following the rules. I would suggest that is because they see no direct impact on their lives of Covid, but plenty in relation to lockdown. CV19 is bad, it's effects are bad, but we've spent a year being told how bad it is, and yet for many, the effects have not come within shouting distance of the fear projected. I really don't blame them. Government cannot write off chunks of people's lives in the name of saving lives. It's cruel and arbitrary.

And the farrago of championing DNR notices while locking everyone down to "save lives"

28 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You really need to provide more info than hearsay.

Whose vaccinations were cancelled and why?

Who are the "certain people" who "should probably be down the pecking order"?

Evidence of waste?

Remember the guy who turned up at a hospital in London, chanced his luck and was taken in?

Apparently this is happening a bit in some hospitals if you meet certain criteria, local, can be registered on the database as done  not impacting resourcing or supplies, stopping someone else.

Mind you the guy in para 1 was 93.

Edited by DETTY29

Footballfirst

Appointments for 2nd doses being cancelled isn't exactly earth shattering news, nor it it evidence of anything untoward going on.  My own wife had her appointment for her 2nd dose cancelled a couple of days before she was due to get it last week. 

As for people getting the jab who aren't in the priority groups, I suspect that you will find the odd example, but again it's not evidence of some widespread wrongdoing on the part of hospital or other vaccination delivery channels.

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

guess we'll never really know how many people died because of CV19.*

The thing that most people ignore is if it wasn’t for CV19 they wouldn’t have died, just yet! CV19 tipped them over the edge. 
That’s why it’s on the Death Certificate. 

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The very fact that there is the 'odd example' shows how unorganised this is. When they really start trying to ramp up the numbers, it's only going to get worse.

Each binned vaccine is a potential death. I thought we were in the business of  preventing them?

If you deemed success on a no wastage, everyone in direct priority lineage, no change of policy, build in contingency for every cancellation no show, delay in supplies it would take years to plan to get that level of detail.

Edited by DETTY29

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The very fact that there is the 'odd example' shows how unorganised this is. When they really start trying to ramp up the numbers, it's only going to get worse.

Each binned vaccine is a potential death. I thought we were in the business of  preventing them?

I don't have an issue if any potentially wasted vaccine is redirected to someone who can get it at short notice.

You can't have it both ways of complaining about wastage, then complaining about such unused doses actually being used.  

Both NS's at yesterday's briefing indicated that wastage was lower than they had planned for.

Toxteth O'Grady
43 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Quite happy that none is getting wasted. But the contingency planning  (ring, ring.. can you get here in the next fifteen minutes we've got a spare dose) leaves a lot to be desired. It's just another crack in the wall.

Come up with a better plan 

7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Borders remain open.  Travel corridors are ending.  Everyone will be required to quarantine upon arrival.  Aye right.

Imagine had we done this 10 months ago but then again we only imagined our leaders were not that stupid at that time....certainly we have learnt our lesson now.....have they ?

SG getting stick for vaccinating people in order. :rofl:

Once the care homes and NHS are done. Then we can open places like The Hydro etc... And heard everyone to vaccination. Or we could do the opposite and still finish at the same time. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

SG getting stick for vaccinating people in order. :rofl:

Once the care homes and NHS are done. Then we can open places like The Hydro etc... And heard everyone to vaccination. Or we could do the opposite and still finish at the same time. 

Or, both could be done at the same time. I've not heard an explanation as to why that hasn't happened. 

36 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Maybe the question should be are rUK vaccinating Care Home Residents and Staff fast enough? Over 40% of deaths are care homes, that’s a big chunk saved for the smallest amount of vaccine. 

I realise this wasn’t really addressing your point, but you were the last in the chain on vaccines. 

Think we would all agree going fast is the way to go. To do that, plans need to run concurrently (in my view)

I reckon Boris (or that halfwit Hancock) will be announcing some parts of England moving into doing 70 - 80 year old community vaccines in next 7 days

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Encouraging, altough a couple of notes.

Enough vaccines for first dose all over 50s and vulnerable by mid March.  I think the article needed to note that the SG is looking to do this by early May.  Whilst the SG has said publicly that the plan is cautious and hope to ramp up, the paper should delve into why.

Also I've not looked at the new plan to see what data was redacted following the complaint by the Govt.  But it has been accussed the supply info is a breach of national security and recognised in the article too that supply info should not be published.  Is the article a breach of NS too.  (That's moot cos we are all desperate to know.....)

Edited by DETTY29

Konrad von Carstein
10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Ach, it's five to twelve and I've got the wine open. The ice hockey starts in ten minutes. Can I do it tomorrow?

Who's your team? (Sorry, NHL might be a nice diversion for a moment)

12 hours ago, jonesy said:

Quite happy that none is getting wasted. But the contingency planning  (ring, ring.. can you get here in the next fifteen minutes we've got a spare dose) leaves a lot to be desired. It's just another crack in the wall.

Seems to be working fine in Israel.

Sky's reporter in Israel said that at the end of the working day if there are any spare vaccines left, the government issue a general text message saying that there are X number of doses at X location, first come first served, none go to waste.

Konrad von Carstein
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Canucks - love Vancouver, happy memories of a visit there.

Love the PNW in general, so may start following the expansion team in Seattle from next season.

Chicago for me... Right, back on topic..

Dennis Reynolds
35 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

5000 today in one centre.  

Hopefully ramp up started.

That's pretty impressive and certainly a good sign going forward. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

5000 today in one centre.  

Hopefully ramp up started.

Encouraging.  The reason for Scotland apparently lagging behind the rest of the UK in vaccination numbers has been attributed to the focus on care homes, i.e. it takes more time and resource to vaccinate care home residents and staff than to vaccinate able-bodied people in central hubs, like the Louisa Jordan above. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Scottish numbers: 16 January 2021

Summary

• 1,753 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-407]
  • 24,314 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.4% of these were positive [-10,618; +0.9%]
  • 78 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+17]
  • 145 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+4]
  • 1,863 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+3]
  • 224,840 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3,331 have received their second dose [=; =]

Note: I have no idea why those vaccination figures haven't increased today. It will probably due to the data not being available or mistakenly not being applied to the report.

Latest 7-day per-capita rates around the councils, based on reporting date.

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday     14 Jan 13 Jan 12 Jan 11 Jan ... 20 Dec
Scotland     239 240 -1   245 262 264 275 ... 98
Glasgow City 4 3 365 363 +2   374 383 380 383 ... 129
North Lanarkshire 4 3 352 357 -5   362 395 393 396 ... 119
Inverclyde 4 2 342 370 -28   389 411 401 428 ... 59
Renfrewshire 4 3 328 324 +4   323 366 386 393 ... 116
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 314 297 +17   322 334 348 376 ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 305 289 +16   304 320 337 324 ... 175
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 297 305 -8   286 279 269 283 ... 70
East Ayrshire 4 3 293 276 +17   269 289 298 311 ... 153
South Lanarkshire 4 3 280 278 +2   289 299 281 311 ... 120
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 272 277 -5   272 250 244 268 ... 120
Clackmannanshire 4 3 264 264 0   233 248 229 262 ... 148
Aberdeen City 4 3 257 257 0   254 250 266 272 ... 163
Dundee City 4 3 256 261 -5   273 313 313 344 ... 113
South Ayrshire 4 3 241 226 +15   218 228 251 251 ... 98
Falkirk 4 2 239 231 +8   232 265 272 289 ... 60
Perth and Kinross 4 3 217 222 -5   236 249 245 264 ... 126
East Renfrewshire 4 3 201 203 -2   204 214 226 228 ... 101
Scottish Borders 4 1 197 213 -16   209 241 261 260 ... 85
Fife 4 3 189 196 -7   199 215 208 218 ... 97
Angus 4 2 182 176 +6   176 202 222 245 ... 37
Highland 4/3 1 165 184 -19   174 187 199 214 ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 162 170 -8   171 192 189 206 ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 159 166 -7   151 164 158 150 ... 83
Aberdeenshire 4 3 158 174 -16   186 221 222 245 ... 88
Stirling 4 3 150 138 +12   141 159 157 176 ... 70
Moray 4 1 120 118 +2   120 135 142 154 ... 13
Midlothian 4 3 117 127 -10   119 151 156 170 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 105 99 +6   93 108 113 130 ... 148
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 105 52 +53   56 30 30 19 ... 22
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 90 86 +4   85 84 87 86 ... 29
Shetland Islands 3 1 74 83 -9   74 96 135 109 ... 0
Orkney Islands 3 1 13 18 -5   18 18 27 27 ... 0

26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 16 January 2021

Summary

• 1,753 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-407]
  • 24,314 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.4% of these were positive [-10,618; +0.9%]
  • 78 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+17]
  • 145 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+4]
  • 1,863 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+3]
  • 224,840 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3,331 have received their second dose [=; =]

Note: I have no idea why those vaccination figures haven't increased today. It will probably due to the data not being available or mistakenly not being applied to the report.

Def looks like things are starting to level off. In my area there has been a big decrease which is positive to see. Fingers crossed we are moving in the right direction again. And the change to whether you can pick up a take away or not will be the final push 😂

9 minutes ago, connlach said:

Def looks like things are starting to level off. In my area there has been a big decrease which is positive to see. Fingers crossed we are moving in the right direction again. And the change to whether you can pick up a take away or not will be the final push 😂

Yes, I picked up my usual take away from Costa today but ordered on the App when I was 5mins away. There was a collection point at the door and they brought it to me rather than handing it over from behind the screen. Small changes like that will soon see the case numbers plummeting. 😂

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Latest 7-day per-capita rates around the councils, based on reporting date.

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday     14 Jan 13 Jan 12 Jan 11 Jan ... 20 Dec
Scotland     239 240 -1   245 262 264 275 ... 98
Glasgow City 4 3 365 363 +2   374 383 380 383 ... 129
North Lanarkshire 4 3 352 357 -5   362 395 393 396 ... 119
Inverclyde 4 2 342 370 -28   389 411 401 428 ... 59
Renfrewshire 4 3 328 324 +4   323 366 386 393 ... 116
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 314 297 +17   322 334 348 376 ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 305 289 +16   304 320 337 324 ... 175
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 297 305 -8   286 279 269 283 ... 70
East Ayrshire 4 3 293 276 +17   269 289 298 311 ... 153
South Lanarkshire 4 3 280 278 +2   289 299 281 311 ... 120
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 272 277 -5   272 250 244 268 ... 120
Clackmannanshire 4 3 264 264 0   233 248 229 262 ... 148
Aberdeen City 4 3 257 257 0   254 250 266 272 ... 163
Dundee City 4 3 256 261 -5   273 313 313 344 ... 113
South Ayrshire 4 3 241 226 +15   218 228 251 251 ... 98
Falkirk 4 2 239 231 +8   232 265 272 289 ... 60
Perth and Kinross 4 3 217 222 -5   236 249 245 264 ... 126
East Renfrewshire 4 3 201 203 -2   204 214 226 228 ... 101
Scottish Borders 4 1 197 213 -16   209 241 261 260 ... 85
Fife 4 3 189 196 -7   199 215 208 218 ... 97
Angus 4 2 182 176 +6   176 202 222 245 ... 37
Highland 4/3 1 165 184 -19   174 187 199 214 ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 162 170 -8   171 192 189 206 ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 159 166 -7   151 164 158 150 ... 83
Aberdeenshire 4 3 158 174 -16   186 221 222 245 ... 88
Stirling 4 3 150 138 +12   141 159 157 176 ... 70
Moray 4 1 120 118 +2   120 135 142 154 ... 13
Midlothian 4 3 117 127 -10   119 151 156 170 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 105 99 +6   93 108 113 130 ... 148
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 105 52 +53   56 30 30 19 ... 22
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 90 86 +4   85 84 87 86 ... 29
Shetland Islands 3 1 74 83 -9   74 96 135 109 ... 0
Orkney Islands 3 1 13 18 -5   18 18 27 27 ... 0

👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic