Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Simple answer would be to disband the NHS, massively reduce taxes and take healthcare out fo the government's wasteful hands.

Let the fatties and couch potatoes see what their lifestyles are really costing them when they have to decide between a widescreen TV or their medication.

That is working out well in the U.S. of course.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Simple answer would be to disband the NHS, massively reduce taxes and take healthcare out fo the government's wasteful hands.

Let the fatties and couch potatoes see what their lifestyles are really costing them when they have to decide between a widescreen TV or their medication.

If you have little to live for, abandoned by a selfish society, TV and Netflix is maybe all you have to look forward too.

26 minutes ago, OBE said:

The name Livingston has long been associated with pioneering, would be harsh to deny them.

Or they could just be known as they always have been.*

Got shareholders, branding, future funding to think about.

*Of course they may have been bought over, merged, renamed, rebranded during their history.

Edited by DETTY29

Howdy Doody Jambo
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Spot on although you can be unlucky in health issues outwith one's control 

I suppose maybe a higher tax on self inflicted criteria may be a detterent or maybe cheaper deals for those in good shape would be an incentive 

10 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Or they could just be known as they always have been.*

Got shareholders, branding, future funding to think about.

Of course they may have been bought over, merged, renamed, rebranded during their history.

Sorry, should've made reference to just the vaccine name only "Livingston Valneva" or "Valneva Livingston"...

3 hours ago, sadj said:

Saw on Sky News it said 83% immunity for the 5months but in that time you can still catch it and can also transmit it (may have picked this bit up wrong it wasn’t very clear) We discussed this couple days ago with James and others calling bullshit when Carl said three people he knows who are doctors have had it twice (this is not a dig at those posters before they reply). Then it was batted about between us all if it was rare or very rare to catch it twice.

I think that what was said this morning just says again we still don’t have a great understanding of the virus or its mutations. 

Yes still early days about re transmission but we are now nearly a year and still very rare cases of re transmission . Only time will tell I think. 

12 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sorry, should've made reference to just the vaccine name only "Livingston Valneva" or "Valneva Livingston"...

Oxford has been taken off the AstraZeneca viles for a reason and something the Oxford scientists don't give a monkeys about, but no doubt AstraZeneca do.

All imo.

Of course could be 101 other reasons, but it won't be anything to do with an anti British recognition of the Oxford scientists success in conjunction with AZ.

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

If this pandemic has shown us anything, it’s the stark difference in general health of the U.K. population when compared to our European neighbours. 

It absolutely MUST be a part of the post-pandemic rebuild that we focus heavily on educating people on healthy living. That means incentivising exercise and heavy push on education around healthy food.

Yes it’s no coincidence our death rate is so high compared to other European counties . Our “ health “ stats are awful compared to other counties . In particular obesity . 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

The long and short of it is people just don't have willpower. We all know it's sensible to eat better, exercise more, drink less and smoke less. People just don't do it.

I'm also against banning things and rules and regulations. I'd just add a tax onto NHS treatment for people are over a certain body fat percentage 😂😂

That’s going down a dangerous route I feel . Deciding who gets treatment or not . I watch “ My 600lb life “ a lot on tv and this very morbidity obese people on that have usually had some serious traumas in their lives and their way of coping / comfort has been to eat . Psychological imput for them seems to help as well as guidance about diet etc . Processed foods etc have so much sugar and salt in them too . Imformation on healthy food would help . But many lack the motivation to change etc . This is an issue for most addicts whether it’s food or drugs . 

26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

If you have little to live for, abandoned by a selfish society, TV and Netflix is maybe all you have to look forward too.

Exactly . 

Weakened Offender
38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'm not sure the answer you are suggesting is as simple as a) you think it as and b) the person who posted it. 

[insert Obua pic] 

45 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

TV and Netflix don't make you fat. I do that for hours every evening. I just don't accompany it with sackfuls of cakes at the same time and make sure I exercise before it 👍👍

Edited by Taffin

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

My brother told me that my Mum's GPs still haven't received any vaccine as of a couple of days ago.  The GPs actually had a sign up saying they had not received any!

She is in her Mid 80s, and there are a lot of older people in the Cramond, Barnton, and Silverknowes area.

In my neighbouhood Im aware of late 80s people getting appointments next week but early 80s not contacted yet 

despite the daily figures it does seem slow 

The Future's Maroon

Hey kickbackers!

can someone or a few folk please tell me roughly how much work are secondary schools sending kids to work on at home, e.g is a couple of hours a days worth or more.

My reason for asking is my step kids seem to be trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying they haven’t had that much and to be frank I think they are at it, unfortunately their mother believes them and due to her having a stroke at the beginning of the week (recovering well), I am not want to cause arguments.

The last lockdown they did take the piss by pretending they were doing stuff only for us to find out they had done bugger all....the then got phones/remotes removed and forced to do all they had missed - I don’t really want that situation arising again so if anyone can give a rough idea it would be appreciated, yes I am aware I can get them to log into their online stuff and get them to show me, I want to trust what they are telling us before going down that road.

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

TV and Netflix don't make you fat. I do that for hours every evening. I just don't accompany it with sackfuls of cakes at the same time and make sure I exercise before it 👍👍

Was too late to edit but wanted to add 

Edit: I should add I completely agree with the point you and James are making though, there are some people who need help with it...and they should absolutely get it. I'm talking about you're average UK person: 67% of UK males are overweight, that has a major impact on their health and the NHS. Of course, I don't like overweight defined by BMI as it's just stupid but people over c.25% body fat are severely impacting their well-being and risk of serious other illnesses. I'm not talking your 600lb man or whatever, it's evident they need help and support for whatever isolation or trauma they're suffering

Edited by Taffin

21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I do the intermittent fasting diet now . Only eat in a 8 hour frame . Tend to stop eating at 9 in evening then don’t eat into 2 next day . It’s a good diet 

Fortunately, my S2 kid is getting about 4/5 one-hour sessions online with classmtes a day this time.  Previously it appeared to be 'Try to do some of this weekly/monthly grid but if you're not up to it don't worry yourself', needless to say mine isn't really the "Oh, I can't wait t get started, Dad" type so I wouldn't consider it a great success last time.

My P7 picks up a couple of worksheets from school on Mondays at 9am as is expected to complete most of it during the week.  They also have a lot more to get stuck into, from the school website/Teams.  School stated that they would be in touch with us parents and then kid 2/3 times a week to see how everything is going.  To date haven't yet had a call.

Anyway, for us it's certainly better than the lst time, especially for the secondary school kid. 👍

TFM, I do hope you get some tangible results as it's certainly no fun stressing over getting them to realise the necessity of the work they've been tasked.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Pretty sure the Glaxo and Janssen ones are a long way off.

They are, Glaxo vaccine wasn't going to be ready until at least the end of this year.

18 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Thanks for replies, anymore would be appreciated, ours are in s3 and s5.

My eldest daughter, s3, had enough work to last her Monday and Tuesday. 

She won’t get anymore until Monday.

A bit of a joke, tbh.

19 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Not sure if helpful and don't want to come across like McCabe or Lee Wallace! My partner is a high school teacher and is on live lessons 3-4 times per day and has set quite a bit of work for pupils, especially the S5/S6 so they have plenty of course work evidence in the absence of exams. I think there is quite a push to make sure National Certificate and Higher pupils take a bit of ownership of their work so there isn't the grading fiasco of last year.

Maybe I do listen to her after all!

22 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I have daughters in S4 and S6, both are getting plenty to see them through the day.

Last time it seemed like just homework, this time round it seems as though its comparable to a normal school day, with the subjects of that days timetable being sent through daily, via google classroom 

The Future's Maroon

Perfect, thanks all for the replies....tells me either their school is murder and not doing enough or they are at it t so they can sit on phones/Netflix/PlayStation’s....they will be ordered down later to log in on laptops and show us what the crack is.

Again, thanks much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I'd have thought in those years they should pretty much be following their timetable of classes and getting the usual amount of coursework and homework.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Adam Murray said:

I have daughters in S4 and S6, both are getting plenty to see them through the day.

Last time it seemed like just homework, this time round it seems as though its comparable to a normal school day, with the subjects of that days timetable being sent through daily, via google classroom 

Heard similar in the past few days, lots of schools now doing online lessons. Good to see the schools adapting quickly. 

I wonder what the commercial sensitivities are leading to UK Gov asking for high level Scottish vaccination plan being taken down from public view?

34 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I have a Daughter in S5 and she gets her work every morning. She has to acknowledge she has received the work with every subject teacher with work to be submitted every evening. It isn’t a lot of work on the face of it but 9am check in and afternoon work means am they are at least trying to keep some sort of school day structure. 

7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Heard similar in the past few days, lots of schools now doing online lessons. Good to see the schools adapting quickly. 

Adapting quickly ? 😂 

56 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I do the intermittent fasting diet now . Only eat in a 8 hour frame . Tend to stop eating at 9 in evening then don’t eat into 2 next day . It’s a good diet 

Whatever works for people. There's loads that won't work some but do for others and vice-versa, glad you've found one that is sustainable and works for you.

👍👍

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I wonder what the commercial sensitivities are leading to UK Gov asking for high level Scottish vaccination plan being taken down from public view?

I think it was something to do with the number and manufacturer of vaccines and when they are due to arrive.

The Future's Maroon
22 minutes ago, pablo said:

I'd have thought in those years they should pretty much be following their timetable of classes and getting the usual amount of coursework and homework.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. Not been any mention of online classes or anything which I find odd, might just phone the school for myself....hopefully not sounding an erse but usually I am working all day out the way and leave all that to the mum, but with her situation I am stepping in/up....the teens seem to think we’re stupid and can pull the wool over our eyes but I’m too wise for that and unfortunately for them I am now on their case 😁

I don't know if you have seen it on the News yet, but here they announced that China has gone into a new Covid lockdown as a result of major surge  of new cases. 

6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I don't know if you have seen it on the News yet, but here they announced that China has gone into a new Covid lockdown as a result of major surge  of new cases. 

It must really be out of control for that news to have broken to the outside world.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Was too late to edit but wanted to add 

Edit: I should add I completely agree with the point you and James are making though, there are some people who need help with it...and they should absolutely get it. I'm talking about you're average UK person: 67% of UK males are overweight, that has a major impact on their health and the NHS. Of course, I don't like overweight defined by BMI as it's just stupid but people over c.25% body fat are severely impacting their well-being and risk of serious other illnesses. I'm not talking your 600lb man or whatever, it's evident they need help and support for whatever isolation or trauma they're suffering

Yes the “ 600 lb “ life people are extreme cases of obesity but non the less those less obese have similar issues related to their health 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I have a kid in p7 and one in s2. They both go to the same independent school, so it may not be representative of other schools. 

My son has a call every morning and he is given a variety of works to compete during that day. My son is generally relatively diligent and he above average intelligence. He generally gets battered out by late morning/lunch time and then getting stuff from his mum or me for a couple hours. He has a little bit of time for other calls ie. Spanish. 

Many of the little projects they get can be as big or as little as they want as well. 

My daughter has a variety of calls during the day, similar to the periods at school. Though they are generally given a short guide to the teaching and aids ie. slides, videos, interactive web lessons etc. 

My daughter is bang average at best and lacks a shit ton of direction. However, at the moment I would say she is more or less doing a full school day. With classes, interactive session and home leaning. Albeit, she needs a lot more assistance than her brother. 

The school in general a lot better at the home leaning thus time round and myself and the wife are able devote the required time and resources to help them. It can be ****ing frustrating at times. I don’t feel their education is suffering the same way it did last time.

Your son has “ above average intelligence “ so he takes after your Mrs then ? 😂one of my Neices has a 9 years old boy and she says the school have been appalling really . Hardly any direct zoom learning from the teachers . Not even a “ good morning “ from them to try and motivate the kids . You say about your daughter needing more “ assistance “ that’s unfortunate as these kids may fall seriously behind others when they go back eventually and may cause issues . 

42 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whatever works for people. There's loads that won't work some but do for others and vice-versa, glad you've found one that is sustainable and works for you.

👍👍

Yes I’ve stuck with it for months now and some weight has dropped off . However I’m only slightly overweight for my height and weight . It’s a good diet 

35 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. Not been any mention of online classes or anything which I find odd, might just phone the school for myself....hopefully not sounding an erse but usually I am working all day out the way and leave all that to the mum, but with her situation I am stepping in/up....the teens seem to think we’re stupid and can pull the wool over our eyes but I’m too wise for that and unfortunately for them I am now on their case 😁

Try not to be too harsh on them as such as they will also be struggling with the corona virus in particular Messages about “ killing your granny “ don’t help children / young people with their anxieties at this time . I am not much of a lover of formal education and I think parents can use this time to bond with their children more and use lateral thinking in “ educating “ them . Formal education can be staid and boring for some children . 

Edited by JamesM48

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Our kids' primary school, after offering no live video during the first lockdown, now offers the kids 3x30 minute teams calls a week. That's 90 mins of F2F 'teaching' (it's mostly asking each kid in turn a question. That's for the P4. For P2, there is no live teaching or calls, just recorded 'welcome' videos for each day.

There's very little teaching going on at primary level. Producing resources is not teaching, it's materials writing. And it's much, much easier than teaching.

They provide a few narrated powerpoints, but otherwise, its a pretty poor show.

Exactly what the feck are the doing the rest of the day . Boils my piss 

Scottish numbers: 14 January 2021

Summary

• 1,707 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-242]
  • 25,381 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.3% of these were positive [+1.949; -1.9%]
  • 64 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-15]
  • 142 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 1,829 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+35]
  • 208,207 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3,190 have received their second dose [+16,242; +200]

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I really hope it's nowhere near those numbers and instead just a handful a day from people who due to unforeseen circumstances couldn't make it in. 

Really wouldn't be a good look given parts of the world are absolutely crying out for access to the vaccine.

Its part of the problem logistically with the pfizer one. It was many more than a handful and not down to no shows(very few no shows, most no shows are due to people having contracted covid!!!) They did try their best to ensure as many extra people came in to get the jag but it was no notice calls going out after tea time, telling people to drop everything and come in if they wanted it. Hopefully teething issues although hearing today many innoculation centres are not getting doses in the numbers they expected, some getting more and some getting less,makes planning very difficult.(thats with both pfizer and Oxford vaccines).

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Different culture. Although this country is doing a decent job of rapidly trying to imitate theirs. The nhs is fundamentally flawed in that it appears to value quantity over quality of life. However, there does seem to be a growing focus on wellness, as opposed to just curing inevitable ailments associated with ageing, which is a positive step. However, this only works if all adults take personal responsibility for their health.

Shame if it gets like that, and I know folk who pretty much live for the tv. Perhaps a wee bit of stick, in addition to carrot, is what some folk need? At the end of the day, no one forces you to sit on the sofa and watch the box.

Indeed. However, removal of almost all tax and allowing the market to settle to its natural point would allow folk to judge for themselves how much they value their health in an overall equation with their time and money. Nothing worse than hearing folk with high cholesterol or other, mainly self inflicted, conditions bumping their gums about how “the doctor has told me to cut out the fags/booze/crisps” when in reality it’s their body telling them - the doc is often just the messenger. 

:greatpost:

Is your idea for fatties to take responsibility for their own health not slightly hypocritical considering your views on doing what you want during a pandemic? 

SectionDJambo
18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just spoke to my M-in-L in China, she hasn't heard anything about it. Not saying you're not correct, Bob, just that the announcement hasn't spread - was it nationwide or regionalised?

I saw this on the bbc news earlier today. An outbreak in a region a fair distance north of Wuhan, where the reporter was, quite near to Beijing, which is why the Chinese are locking down early. First death from Covid in months seemingly.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I’ve stuck with it for months now and some weight has dropped off . However I’m only slightly overweight for my height and weight . It’s a good diet 

You’re probably obese then, the term makes folk think of those 600lb people. George Clooney for instance is classed as obese because of the way it’s calculated. 
I just crashed/crushed the website 😱🙈
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I saw this on the bbc news earlier today. An outbreak in a region a fair distance north of Wuhan, where the reporter was, quite near to Beijing, which is why the Chinese are locking down early. First death from Covid in months seemingly.

Pangolin medicine season?

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Trying to scare off the WHO - aye best stay in your room and not bother with that investigation in case you end up with Covid times one million. And no those things near your hotel aren’t death camps, they’re happy camps!

The latest per-capita 7-day rates around the councils:

7-day per-100,000 cases          
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday     12 Jan 11 Jan ... 20 Dec
Scotland     245 262 -17   264 275 ... 98
Inverclyde 4 2 389 411 -22   401 428 ... 59
Glasgow City 4 3 374 383 -9   380 383 ... 129
North Lanarkshire 4 3 362 395 -33   393 396 ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 323 366 -43   386 393 ... 116
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 322 334 -12   348 376 ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 304 320 -16   337 324 ... 175
South Lanarkshire 4 3 289 299 -10   281 311 ... 120
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 286 279 +7   269 283 ... 70
Dundee City 4 3 273 313 -40   313 344 ... 113
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 272 250 +22   244 268 ... 120
East Ayrshire 4 3 269 289 -20   298 311 ... 153
Aberdeen City 4 3 254 250 +4   266 272 ... 163
Perth and Kinross 4 3 236 249 -13   245 264 ... 126
Clackmannanshire 4 3 233 248 -15   229 262 ... 148
Falkirk 4 2 232 265 -33   272 289 ... 60
South Ayrshire 4 3 218 228 -10   251 251 ... 98
Scottish Borders 4 1 209 241 -32   261 260 ... 85
East Renfrewshire 4 3 204 214 -10   226 228 ... 101
Fife 4 3 199 215 -16   208 218 ... 97
Aberdeenshire 4 3 186 221 -35   222 245 ... 88
Angus 4 2 176 202 -26   222 245 ... 37
Highland 4/3 1 174 187 -13   199 214 ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 171 192 -21   189 206 ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 151 164 -13   158 150 ... 83
Stirling 4 3 141 159 -18   157 176 ... 70
Moray 4 1 120 135 -15   142 154 ... 13
Midlothian 4 3 119 151 -32   156 170 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 93 108 -15   113 130 ... 148
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 85 84 +1   87 86 ... 29
Shetland Islands 3 1 74 96 -22   135 109 ... 0
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 56 30 +26   30 19 ... 22
Orkney Islands 3 1 18 18 0   27 27 ... 0

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, redjambo said:

The latest per-capita 7-day rates around the councils:

7-day per-100,000 cases          
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday     12 Jan 11 Jan ... 20 Dec
Scotland     245 262 -17   264 275 ... 98
Inverclyde 4 2 389 411 -22   401 428 ... 59
Glasgow City 4 3 374 383 -9   380 383 ... 129
North Lanarkshire 4 3 362 395 -33   393 396 ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 323 366 -43   386 393 ... 116
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 322 334 -12   348 376 ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 304 320 -16   337 324 ... 175
South Lanarkshire 4 3 289 299 -10   281 311 ... 120
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 286 279 +7   269 283 ... 70
Dundee City 4 3 273 313 -40   313 344 ... 113
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 272 250 +22   244 268 ... 120
East Ayrshire 4 3 269 289 -20   298 311 ... 153
Aberdeen City 4 3 254 250 +4   266 272 ... 163
Perth and Kinross 4 3 236 249 -13   245 264 ... 126
Clackmannanshire 4 3 233 248 -15   229 262 ... 148
Falkirk 4 2 232 265 -33   272 289 ... 60
South Ayrshire 4 3 218 228 -10   251 251 ... 98
Scottish Borders 4 1 209 241 -32   261 260 ... 85
East Renfrewshire 4 3 204 214 -10   226 228 ... 101
Fife 4 3 199 215 -16   208 218 ... 97
Aberdeenshire 4 3 186 221 -35   222 245 ... 88
Angus 4 2 176 202 -26   222 245 ... 37
Highland 4/3 1 174 187 -13   199 214 ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 171 192 -21   189 206 ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 151 164 -13   158 150 ... 83
Stirling 4 3 141 159 -18   157 176 ... 70
Moray 4 1 120 135 -15   142 154 ... 13
Midlothian 4 3 119 151 -32   156 170 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 93 108 -15   113 130 ... 148
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 85 84 +1   87 86 ... 29
Shetland Islands 3 1 74 96 -22   135 109 ... 0
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 56 30 +26   30 19 ... 22
Orkney Islands 3 1 18 18 0   27 27 ... 0

👍

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Zico said:

Trying to scare off the WHO - aye best stay in your room and not bother with that investigation in case you end up with Covid times one million. And no those things near your hotel aren’t death camps, they’re happy camps!

Wouldn’t put it past them. Can’t see them being able to gain much of an idea about the real cause, or timeline, of the original outbreak. The Chinese will be very cute at pointing them in the direction they want the WHO to look. 

If it came out of that laboratory in Wuhan, they’ll never get to prove it.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Tier 4 restrictions look like having an effect now, hopefully we see all the numbers start to drop soon and we can start arguing about tiers and pubs again.

I look forward to it. :D

I still think end of March - they’ll want the numbers way down and maybe have started the second dose of the vaccine for the first few priority groups.

42 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just spoke to my M-in-L in China, she hasn't heard anything about it. Not saying you're not correct, Bob, just that the announcement hasn't spread - was it nationwide or regionalised?

I also am now wondering if it was referring to this time last year, I was just getting my coffee on when I saw it, between age and still half  asleepness I may have made an error. I will check shortly, if I erred it was in error and I apologise sincerely.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic