Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

CavySlaveJambo
27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Here are the Midlothian case stats for the last 60 days. Spikes may have been due to a local case cluster and/or delayed test analysis/reporting, but by those figures I don't think that Midlothian is in too bad a place at all.

345781380_Screenshotat2020-12-0220-44-01.png.f847a3486c552cc165e54ad11f8db2de.png

That makes it look better.  The Public Health Scotland data is a different, but that could be due to them counting based on sample date, where as TT is using the return date. 

And that doesn't include the 24 cases returned today.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

An interesting scenario to ponder.  Imagine if the number of people who won’t take the virus means that some level of restrictions has to remain permanently in place.  Things could get pretty divisive with those wanting a return to normal challenging those who won’t take the vaccine.  

p.s.  yes I did get this thought from watching Jonathan penalty shoot out Van Tam.  

Isn't it basically the same scenario as the flu jab .........  it's not intended for everyone to get a flu jab, just the "priority/vulnerable" groups, and how likely is it that the take-up in those groups is actually 100% ?     So loads of folk walking around with no vaccine-induced protection, while  transmission of the flu virus within communities seems to be acceptable &  normal.

From what I understand from the briefings, it will take at least 3 months to vaccinate all the priority/vulnerable groups for Covid - 100% will be invited and at the end of it the authorities will know who hasn't appeared. 

It may be a tiny percentage .....  or maybe not.  Some of them will be for valid reasons, like fear of interference with essential medicines folk are already taking.  Others will be either anti-vaxxers or just forgetful/lazy folk.  And then you've got the non-priority/non-vulnerable folk (will they even be  invited ?).

The statisticians and public health experts will have to assess how big the unvaccinated groups are and what to do about it.   Giving out the instruction to millions of vaccinated folk that they still need to abide by restrictions (even just masks and 2m distancing) because X thousand folk refused or forgot is   not going to be popular !! 

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

You rang?

Beetlejuice.jpg

Just taking a break, sorry. The thread was doing my head in, to be honest.

But here you go, the latest colour extravaganza (with extra columns showing the values over the last few days).

Note that there is currently increased testing in five specific hotspots in Scotland, of which Alloa is one, which partially explains for example the elevated ranking of Clackmannanshire (although in my opinion they should have been placed in Tier 4 anyway). Also note that there is increased testing of students starting this week which will no doubt filter through to the stats.

There are quite a few take-homes from the chart. I wasn't surprised that the SG decided not to change any tiers yesterday because the technical issues a couple of days ago temporarily mucked up their data. However, Dumfries and Galloway were extremely unlucky not to be moved down to tier 1, imo. Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire are still high after the Portlethen food factory outbreak but now have another week to recover. North Ayrshire should probably be moved up to Tier 4 but is a good example of how the Tier 4's have worked, with both East and South Ayrshire having lesser rates than North Ayrshire now.

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday     Start of Tier 4’s     30 Nov 29 Nov 28 Nov 27 Nov 26 Nov 25 Nov
Renfrewshire 4 206 194 +12   260 -54   195 218 223 224 238 241
Clackmannanshire 3 192 155 +37   165 +27   140 153 130 115 120 95
South Lanarkshire 4 172 174 -2   233 -61   179 202 198 213 206 201
North Lanarkshire 4 170 176 -6   235 -65   169 182 194 202 194 194
East Renfrewshire 4 169 155 +14   195 -26   149 155 172 170 170 171
Glasgow City 4 160 155 +5   235 -75   158 174 189 190 199 198
North Ayrshire 3 140 128 +12   124 +16   127 132 131 128 131 109
West Lothian 4 132 127 +5   193 -61   128 131 139 140 135 161
Stirling 4 124 123 +1   210 -86   132 149 140 141 155 138
East Dunbartonshire 4 121 117 +4   161 -40   110 114 135 133 130 117
East Ayrshire 4 118 115 +3   152 -34   120 137 132 138 146 142
South Ayrshire 4 114 125 -11   153 -39   125 131 123 122 130 129
Fife 3 107 99 +8   116 -9   96 105 104 102 102 99
Perth and Kinross 3 97 93 +4   116 -19   95 103 90 95 95 91
West Dunbartonshire 4 94 89 +5   142 -48   85 107 106 108 123 124
Dundee City 3 92 92 0   102 -10   97 104 109 109 105 100
Inverclyde 3 90 87 +3   99 -9   96 96 107 112 111 86
Aberdeenshire 2 87 93 -6   64 +23   94 85 90 83 78 78
Midlothian 3 86 65 +21   101 -15   71 84 82 88 91 88
Argyll and Bute 2 77 77 0   31 +46   83 61 61 54 48 43
Aberdeen City 2 71 90 -19   51 +20   92 101 90 91 89 81
Edinburgh City 3 68 69 -1   84 -16   74 74 82 87 87 80
Angus 3 62 62 0   88 -26   65 71 77 78 79 81
Falkirk 3 59 58 +1   85 -26   49 47 54 58 58 59
East Lothian 2 49 48 +1   48 +1   51 59 65 57 55 61
Scottish Borders 2 33 33 0   74 -41   29 33 40 45 50 57
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 22 22 0   0 +22   11 11 11 11 4 0
Dumfries and Galloway 2 21 21 0   34 -13   19 23 25 30 28 31
Highland 1 18 19 -1   19 -1   19 16 17 15 15 15
Moray 1 11 9 +2   25 -14   8 8 8 10 9 15
Orkney Islands 1 9 9 0   4 +5   4 4 4 4 4 4
Shetland Islands 1 9 17 -8   13 -4   17 17 17 17 17 9
(Scotland)   106 105 +1   135 -29   105 116 118 119 120 118

Thanks Red - very much appreciated. I am hoping the Midlothian spike may be related to the issue they had with figures on Monday. Hoping to get down to tier 2 soon.

19 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

At risk of what? Death? 

what about a month off work? or a month not being able to do all the things you’ve missed in lockdown?  

I was speaking to someone last night who has only just recovered enough to get back to working from home, September 24th she tested positive. Still can’t smell or taste anything. She’s under 40, not overweight, healthy, she said “you don’t want to catch this”. Rest of her family all had it and were thankfully not very ill at all. 

As it stands under 50s aren’t on the list anyway

So what was your question about in the first place?

I said it was good news for the many who need/want it, which are generally in the earlier tranches of rollout. Should I have said good news for all of us who aren't on the list and aren't going to get it whether we want to or not too?

2 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

That makes it look better.  The Public Health Scotland data is a different, but that could be due to them counting based on sample date, where as TT is using the return date. 

And that doesn't include the 24 cases returned today.  

No, it doesn't. I don't know Midlothian well, but if it has any college or university campuses then that might explain today's figure since student testing results will start hitting the stats. In saying that though, I don't know whether a lateral flow positive test counts towards the case figures or whether they will wait for a backup PCR test.

In general, I've learned to largely ignore daily case figures which can vary quite markedly, and look instead at the longer trends. On that basis, Midlothian is looking fairly consistent over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll see it get back down into Tier 2 territory before too long.

9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

At risk of what? Death? 

what about a month off work? or a month not being able to do all the things you’ve missed in lockdown?  

I was speaking to someone last night who has only just recovered enough to get back to working from home, September 24th she tested positive. Still can’t smell or taste anything. She’s under 40, not overweight, healthy, she said “you don’t want to catch this”. Rest of her family all had it and were thankfully not very ill at all. 

As it stands under 50s aren’t on the list anyway. 

Risk is present in everything we do. The majority of people will not even be susceptible to getting Covid, far less becoming ill with it. Once the most vulnerable get vaccinated life will return to normal. There will slways be examples of younger people who have had bad reactions or worse, much the same as there is with myriad diseases. 12 under 35s die suddenly each week in the UK of undiagnosed heart conditions.  We don't ban under 35s from taking part in sport as a consequence.  The reaction to Covid this year has been over the top in many ways but the fear of overwhelming the NHS was the main driver. With what we know now, the thinking should have changed and a different course plotted. However,  the good news today will allow life to return normal pretty soon and Covid, whether weaker or not  , will not be any more of a threat to the vast majority of the population than any other disease or risk.

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, redjambo said:

No, it doesn't. I don't know Midlothian well, but if it has any college or university campuses then that might explain today's figure since student testing results will start hitting the stats. In saying that though, I don't know whether a lateral flow positive test counts towards the case figures or whether they will wait for a backup PCR test.

In general, I've learned to largely ignore daily case figures which can vary quite markedly, and look instead at the longer trends. On that basis, Midlothian is looking fairly consistent over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll see it get back down into Tier 2 territory before too long.

Lateral flow tests are not meant to count towards the daily statistics, the PCR test does. 

I really need to do that.  I'm surprised as well as a total per 100k, that they don't look at average cases per day either.  Because that will show if there are days with massive outlier stats. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks Red - very much appreciated. I am hoping the Midlothian spike may be related to the issue they had with figures on Monday. Hoping to get down to tier 2 soon.

No problem, Carl. The spike in the 7-day figures was because today's 24 cases supplanted the 4 cases from a week ago. The week-old figure that will be supplanted tomorrow was 21 cases, so hopefully tomorrow will see a reduction in the 7-day figure. Even 7-day figures have spikes and troughs. :) That's one of the reasons, imo, that the SG delayed making tier-related decisions after the reporting issue they had - they need to make decisions with accurate up-to-date information and that issue made a temporary hole in the data.

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No problem, Carl. The spike in the 7-day figures was because today's 24 cases supplanted the 4 cases from a week ago. The week-old figure that will be supplanted tomorrow was 21 cases, so hopefully tomorrow will see a reduction in the 7-day figure. Even 7-day figures have spikes and troughs. :) That's one of the reasons, imo, that the SG delayed making tier-related decisions after the reporting issue they had - they need to make decisions with accurate up-to-date information and that issue made a temporary hole in the data.

I was thinking something similar but you said it a lot better than I can! Many thanks

5 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Lateral flow tests are not meant to count towards the daily statistics, the PCR test does. 

I really need to do that.  I'm surprised as well as a total per 100k, that they don't look at average cases per day either.  Because that will show if there are days with massive outlier stats. 

Ah, I didn't know that about the lateral flow tests not counting towards the stats. Where did you see that, out of interest? From a statistical point of view, I would be uneasy about that if there isn't an additional PCR test carried out for positive lateral flow tests which does count towards the stats.

I hope the the local teams will indeed be monitoring the reasons for daily variations so that they can pinpoint clusters. That's how the Portlethen food factory outbreak was treated so quickly, as far as I'm aware. Grampian NHS realised that there were multiple cases from the plant and offered tests to all the workers there. The stats appear to indicate that it did spread to more than the workforce though, although how much it has spread outside the workers' households only the authorities will know. I would have thought that given how much food, and particularly meat, processing plants have featured in large Covid outbreaks, they should be testing their workers regularly, and that one positive test should automatically trigger testing of all employees. With lateral flow tests, hopefully this will now become the norm.

5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

@redjambo

Thanks, I know what you mean this thread can mess with your head. 
I appreciate your charts and info are very helpful. 

No problem, BD. It just annoys me in general to see people placed in danger or at risk due to the actions of others, and when those actions are worn by some on here like a badge of honour then it really grinds my gears. Add that to all the politically-minded Pavlovian dogs and their slavering reactions to *almost every single* piece of news, I guess I'll just have to be very selective as to what I read and digest. :smile:

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Thread will hopefully be obsolete soon. 

:thumb:

And not a minute too soon that we put the kibosh on Covid. It has been a pretty awful and stressful year all-round for virtually everyone.

CavySlaveJambo
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ah, I didn't know that about the lateral flow tests not counting towards the stats. Where did you see that, out of interest? From a statistical point of view, I would be uneasy about that if there isn't an additional PCR test carried out for positive lateral flow tests which does count towards the stats.

It is on the Public Health Scotland Daily Dashboard.  But more along the lines of whoops we added in some lateral flow test results. 

709E51D0-19B8-4C1D-94A6-416A700664E4.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Indifference encourages people not to get the vaccine. We should all have the attitude to take the vaccine when it is offered to us. 

So being indifferent to taking something that's not on offer to me and I can't take anyway, encourages other people not to get the vaccine, most of whom it's also not on offer to?

I happen to disagree with your second point but that's neither here nor there. My comment was about today's good news and those who it may makes its way to. Not whether we may or may not buy more of it in the future or whether or not any of the others gain approval at a future date.

Edit: I'm not meaning to be obtuse but there's a lot of moaning on this thread about good news being met with negative reactions and I just find it hard to follow that me declaring it good news for those it's relevant to and hoping that it will end our current way of living is met with questions about why I'm indifferent and not wishing to take something that even if I particularly did want to take, won't be available to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Taffin

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, jonesy said:

We can all grab a drink and have a good old laugh at the posts before it is 😁

Who would have thought this year would have been so awful back when the news first broke in January.   Oh well 2021 can only be better. 

And we are only on our second wave the US in on their third 

9 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

It is on the Public Health Scotland Daily Dashboard.  But more along the lines of whoops we added in some lateral flow test results. 

709E51D0-19B8-4C1D-94A6-416A700664E4.jpeg

Cheers. If positive lateral flow tests are being urged to have a follow-up PCR test then that will force the PCR positivity rate upwards, but at least we're now employing a mass rapid-results test of some description, despite it not being as reliable as the PCR test. That should certainly help us in the fight, especially when it comes to asymptomatic cases.

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

About 13 of them in sky blue and maroon  last Saturday that should be banned - for their own safety and our sanity. :) 

😃. Can't disagree there Jonesy

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Cheers. If positive lateral flow tests are being urged to have a follow-up PCR test then that will force the PCR positivity rate upwards, but at least we're now employing a mass rapid-results test of some description, despite it not being as reliable as the PCR test. That should certainly help us in the fight, especially when it comes to asymptomatic cases.

They are and aren't counted as positive until confirmed by a PCR test.

Similarly if the lateral flow rest comes up as negative they are not to assume that they don't have the virus.

So if it gives a positive result it might not be positive and if it gives a negative result it might not be negative.

Sometimes the expert's arse's can look like their elbows.

10 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

An interesting scenario to ponder.  Imagine if the number of people who won’t take the virus means that some level of restrictions has to remain permanently in place.  Things could get pretty divisive with those wanting a return to normal challenging those who won’t take the vaccine.  

p.s.  yes I did get this thought from watching Jonathan penalty shoot out Van Tam.  

Well that’s democracy. 

manaliveits105
6 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Thread will hopefully be obsolete soon. 

I would hope jkb will offer counselling to our resident doom mongers and those who will go cold turkey when the daily updates cease

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

A good opportunity to take stock and be grateful for the things we do have, no matter the circumstances.

Best post on the entire thread. 👏

Get a bad feeling Politicians (MPs etc... ) , Pro Sport (football etc...) and Hollywood are gonnae steal the vaccines for themselves. 

Edited by ri Alban

manaliveits105

The guy on teatime news stv said it would be up to individual councils to decide - if true buck passed as usual by SG with any dodgy news 

13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The guy on teatime news stv said it would be up to individual councils to decide - if true buck passed as usual by SG with any dodgy news 

What? Our power mad, Hitler like, dictatorial first minister is letting the affected areas decide for themselves? Ridiculous behaviour.

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

What? Our power mad, Hitler like, dictatorial first minister is letting the affected areas decide for themselves? Ridiculous behaviour.

:jj:

Nucky Thompson
27 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's what her stooge Swinney is there for. He obviously isn't competent enough to make the decision himself

Governor Tarkin
44 minutes ago, graygo said:

She's only providing them with sufficient rope to hang themselves.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

She's only providing them with sufficient rope to hang themselves.

Or she thinks that the local councils are better placed to make an informed decision and is smart enough to let them do so.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Or she thinks that the local councils are better placed to make an informed decision and is smart enough to let them do so.

She's throwing them a bone with full the intention of overruling their recommendations if and when she sees fit.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

She's throwing them a bone with full the intention of overruling their recommendations if and when she sees fit.

Let's see if "the guy on TV news stv" is correct first. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Let's see if "the guy on TV news stv" is correct first. 

Doubtful.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Lord BJ said:

If SG we’re leaving school decisions to LA, I would be very surprised. It would go against how this whole thing has been done and what’s been said to date. 

Plus Swinney was due to make announcement on it this week. 

Every time I see Swinney on the TV I'm reminded of the Spitting Image John Major eating a plate of peas.

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Major had way more personality. Wasn't he shagging Edwina Curry or something or have I just made that up.

After all my years of posting I have just figured out where the emoji in JKB :jj:

Yup. Dirty old sod was slipping Edwina the length in secret. Didn't his dad used to work in the circus too? 

I'm confused now, are the SG "passing the buck" and "stooge" John Swinney isn't competent enough to make the decision or are they making the decision and announcing it this week.

Or as I suspect to be the case, nobody knows but any chance to rip them up should be taken.

23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Swinney is due to make announcement this week, whether he will has still to be determined, 

It would be good for people to get clarity sooner rather than later. I’m sure we can agree on that.

Agreed. 👍

I see a few pubs in Edinburgh although closed are putting up Xmas decorations

Not sure if they are just being optimistic or have heard a whisper

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, graygo said:

So the education secretary did have the competency to make a decision after all. Good on him.👍

Agreed.

Brighton Jambo
3 hours ago, graygo said:

I agree that letting the councils decide is the sensible thing to do.  My concern though is how much delay that builds into the process.  

edit: should have read the whole thread!! 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Nucky Thompson
41 minutes ago, graygo said:

So the education secretary did have the competency to make a decision after all. Good on him.👍

Good on him for letting the councils decide, no, wait a minute, good on him for making the decision himself :rofl:

You're falling over yourself to justify them :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Good on him for letting the councils decide, no, wait a minute, good on him for making the decision himself :rofl:

You're falling over yourself to justify them :lol:

You've failed to get my point which is that he was being castigated for allowing councils to decide and also for not allowing them to decide. My point is that it is ridiculous to criticise him for whatever way he decided to go and by arguing the opposite in both cases it shows there is no wrong way to go.

I'll try to be less subtle next time so that you can benefit from my wisdom. 😉

With the news today it seems pretty clear the Astra Zeneca/Oxford University will be the main vaccine used in the UK

Short term and to limited areas of the population the Pfizer will be used but with storage problems it is likely the Astra Zeneca will be available for a more general vaccination programme.

However it's still to be cleared for use so it will be nearer Feb 2021 before any widespread use and of course will it be 2 jabs not one.

40 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

With the news today it seems pretty clear the Astra Zeneca/Oxford University will be the main vaccine used in the UK

Short term and to limited areas of the population the Pfizer will be used but with storage problems it is likely the Astra Zeneca will be available for a more general vaccination programme.

However it's still to be cleared for use so it will be nearer Feb 2021 before any widespread use and of course will it be 2 jabs not one.

I think all 3 vaccines to have reported results so far are 2 doses.

Dennis Reynolds
41 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The Pfizer one is also two jabs. The MHRA should give it emergency use by the end of the year. Possibly even next week.

Scottish numbers: 3 December 2020

Summary

• 958 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+7]
  • 51 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+13]
  • 69 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+1]
  • 982 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-9]
  • 26,233 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 4.3% of these were positive [+2,060; -0.2%]

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic