Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

13 minutes ago, theshed said:

Will happen all over the U.K.

Look at the photos from Aberdeen on the previous page.  Young people don’t really care and only want a good night out be that in London or Aberdeen 

They will soon care when they are gasping for breath if they get the virus .

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Crete said:

The chances of a young fit person becoming seriously ill with covid are tiny 

Nucky Thompson

I see the headlines this morning are that the incoming 2nd wave is going to be twice as bad as the 1st.

They love an negative scare story

Slightly off the subject but just reading that breast cancer screening has started up again yesterday. Will take them nearly 2 years to get through backlog and back to normal. 

Hate to think what other cancer treatments have suffered during all this 

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

As lockdown restrictions ease the British return to terrorising the continent. 

They should never be allowed to board another aircraft, burn their passports...and them.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I see the headlines this morning are that the incoming 2nd wave is going to be twice as bad as the 1st.

Let's start stockpiling bog rolls.

37 minutes ago, Crete said:

It will more likely be their parents or grandparents, who they clearly don't give a **** about. 

40 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If people (not necessarily you) read the story that is the worst case scenario from their modelling. It has probably been reported that way to try and re-enforce the need to take care and be a bit cautious while trying to get back to normality.

Montgomery Brewster
11 hours ago, graygo said:

Still waiting on delivery, got this to do for now though.

images (3).jpeg

Lovely. Should be a good seller 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

If people (not necessarily you) read the story that is the worst case scenario from their modelling. It has probably been reported that way to try and re-enforce the need to take care and be a bit cautious while trying to get back to normality.

I think it may be counterproductive. If everything is based on worst case scenarios then people will see what they are being told does not match reality and make them more likely to ignore the message. The "everyone is at risk" message for example was easily contradicted by the obvious fact that healthy young people are at practically no risk. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I seen the headlines suggesting that. It appears to be based of a model however doesn’t give any idea what the model parameters are  I prepared to bet that the model scenario will be very much towards the pessimistic end. 

I struggle to see how a second wave can be as big. There is now some immunity in the general population, we understand the disease better, we have some forM of test and trace (effectiveness may be in debate), we monitor infections rates etc on regional everyday precautions such as social distancing are in place and we know the massive impact stringent lock down of care homes. 

I’m not saying we won’t see spikes. We are coming of lockdown it follows we will see increases in infections rates. Is just flexing the controls you use to controls these effects 

I have to admit to seeing a negative narrative from governments and media. I assume this is being done due to concerns over increasing numbers and perhaps the realisation that not everyone is following the procedures. Negative reinforcement and punishment have always been the quickest way to change incorrect behaviours. This is what we are seeing to a degree. 

I do fear infections rates will increase in winter, due to the decease being spread more easily as a result of colds etc. Whilst indoor activities become way more prevalent. 

This is always being to be a bit of a balancing act and until you find level, you usually go for a few different extremes which lessen every time,

Good posting . It is a balancing act and people will make their own risk assessments . They will look at the contradictory information from the mass media and decide themselves to either Be over cautious and sit in the house worried about the day they will never see or go out , social distance , Wear masks were applicable and live their lives . I know what camp I’m in now . 

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Good posting . It is a balancing act and people will make their own risk assessments . They will look at the contradictory information from the mass media and decide themselves to either Be over cautious and sit in the house worried about the day they will never see or go out , social distance , Wear masks were applicable and live their lives . I know what camp I’m in now . 

As long as people wear masks when appropriate and social distance at all times then we should be ok 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Today's party political  broadcast is about exams.

Yes im not getting it. Thought these briefings were about Covid? 

Ron Burgundy
4 hours ago, theshed said:

Slightly off the subject but just reading that breast cancer screening has started up again yesterday. Will take them nearly 2 years to get through backlog and back to normal. 

Hate to think what other cancer treatments have suffered during all this 

I was due a precautionary scan on a growth in one of my lungs back in May, not heard a peep.

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It is if she is asked a question she doesn't like.

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

How young people got on with their results despite all the covid disruption is surely a relevant topic?

Edited by Ray Gin

Rupert Pupkin

Was in Skegness at the weekend for the Stockcar racing.. Went to Tesco Express in Ingoldmells to get some beer.. what I saw on the way back to the caravan was frightening. Pubs rammed full of people, inside and out,arcades absolutely bursting with folk, with no masks on, people falling around drunk. harrowing to see.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How young people got on with their results despite all the covid disruption is surely a relevant topic?

Exactly.

IIRC their exams have been disrupted by Covid-19.

Haters going hate.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Exactly.

IIRC their exams have been disrupted by Covid-19.

Haters going hate.

The whole country has been disrupted, exams included.

It was a different story last week when she was asked about something she didn't want to talk about - deflected the question saying it was not relevant to the coronavirus update

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

The whole country has been disrupted, exams included.

It was a different story last week when she was asked about something she didn't want to talk about - deflected the question saying it was not relevant to the coronavirus update

This exams are relevant.

So maybe whatever it was last week was irrelevant.

:P

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This exams are relevant.

So maybe whatever it was last week was irrelevant.

:P

Care home deaths  IIRC.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I was due a precautionary scan on a growth in one of my lungs back in May, not heard a peep.

Ffs, Ron, you must be worried sick.

Hopefully they can get you in soon an put your mind at rest.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ffs, Ron, you must be worried sick.

Hopefully they can get you in soon an put your mind at rest.

If i were you id chase it up.   

Constant moans about pessimism, "scaremongering" and "finger-wagging", then when we get a bit of positive news it's deemed a party-political broadcast and not relevant. :lol: 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Constant moans about pessimism, "scaremongering" and "finger-wagging", then when we get a bit of positive news it's deemed a party-political broadcast and not relevant. :lol: 

They are party political broadcasts, but. 

Nucky Thompson
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

What was the good news concerning the virus? New breakthrough treatment?

22 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

What was the positive news?

JudyJudyJudy
40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes what was the “ positive  news “?

Edited by JamesM48

39 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What was the good news concerning the virus? New breakthrough treatment?

That the pass rates for Highers and Advanced Highers were up despite the virus disruption.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That the pass rates for Highers and Advanced Highers were up despite the virus disruption.

Bit of controversy about this is there not?

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Ray Gin said:

That's sound seeing no exams took place :thumb:

I never watched the briefing but it does sound like a party political broadcast. 

I take it that dour prick Swinney was by her side?

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Bit of controversy about this is there not?

There is, so the numbers could go even higher on appeal.

Are they hoping one of the biology students finds a cure or something? 😂

That is good news, but not really relevant to Covid-19. I'm sure lots of good things have happened since the virus. What's on tomorrow's briefing agenda...an update on  Fin whales swimming closer to shore?

Joking aside, it's certainly positive given that it's deemed relevant, suggests there isn't anything pressing to worry about.

I was hoping it was more fundamental than that and to do with the virus, but I'll take it 👍

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's sound seeing no exams took place :thumb:

I never watched the briefing but it does sound like a party political broadcast. 

I take it that dour prick Swinney was by her side?

Prelims took place before the lockdown. Swinney was indeed there. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Its important but a covid19 update is not the place for it

These updates are increasing being used as a platform for the Scottish Nicola Party to showcase Dear Leader into our homes with her own special brand of newspeak.

Edited by Fun Boaby

Just now, Fun Boaby said:

Its important, a covid19 update is not the place for it

These updates are increasing being used as a platform for the Scottish Nicola Party to showcase Dear Leader into our homes with her own special brand of newspeak.

I wish it was. A daily televised independence rally would be fantastic.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:lol:

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

They pretty much are, tbf.

17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There is, so the numbers could go even higher on appeal.

:lol:

Spinning a record numbers of passes for exams that nobody sat as a covid positive is mibbie pushing it a bit.

Francis Albert

We  could have an Indy referendum without bothering with votes and Nicola could have some very good news to report.

Back on topic.

Scottish numbers: 4 August 2020

• 23 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.9% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive.
  • 4 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 270 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 5,879 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Back on topic.

Scottish numbers: 4 August 2020

• 23 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.9% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive.
  • 4 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 270 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 5,879 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

Really encouraging reading. Regarding the part in bold does anyone know what sort of numbers are usually in intensive care overnight as a total? 4 for Covid19 sounds very low but without it as a percentage of intensive care patients it's quite hard to judge. Are we talking 30% of patients in ICU being there with Covid, or 70%?

Adam_the_legend

I’m curious at what point the SG acknowledges the numbers and the rhetoric reflects the reality. 4 in ICU and zero deaths for weeks on end. Obviously we need to keep an eye on things but freaking out over every new positive case seems a major overreaction at this point. protect the vulnerable (care homes...etc) and keep testing but surely we should be focused on keeping people working rather than Covid bingo every day. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic