Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

51 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

We do not currently have excessive death rates in the UK.

Not currently, but that is down to the lockdown duration and increased testing, and tracing, which is extremely expensive to administer.  Sadly it will likely decline again due to younger people not giving a shit and ignoring the rules because they think they are invincible.

The lockdowns in England with Leicester and Greater Manchester are a grim indicator for the coming months.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not currently, but that is down to the lockdown duration and increased testing, and tracing, which is extremely expensive to administer.  Sadly it will likely decline again due to younger people not giving a shit and ignoring the rules because they think they are invincible.

The lockdowns in England with Leicester and Greater Manchester are a grim indicator for the coming months.

Not just young people.   I was in my golf club yesterday and the bar was quite busy after a competition.   Mostly guys in their 40s and 50s.    The place was like nothing had ever happened.    People are obviously and understandably more comfortable to let their guard down but it was quite disconcerting to be honest.    

coconut doug
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The reason we don't have excess deaths at the moment is primarily because some of those who were "due" to die in this period are already dead because of the disease. Very little, if anything to do with lockdown duration. 

coconut doug
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Phew! Glad I don’t need to worry about getting COVID as I’m already dead.

From the neck up, perhaps!

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

The reason we don't have excess deaths at the moment is primarily because some of those who were "due" to die in this period are already dead because of the disease. Very little, if anything to do with lockdown duration. 

There are various ways to interpret that data, but lockdown is bound to have an affect.

The fact that hospitals have cancelled non-urgent operations, and treatments of various conditions have been put on hold due to Covid suggest there are problems building up that will hit the NHS.

coconut doug
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Nope, just the waist down unfortunately.

Isn't there a vaccine for this problem?

29 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Nicola will still be back out tomorrow announcing that it’s gone down to 17 cases with 259 in hospital and 2 in ICU.

When was the last time she did a briefing on a Sunday?

coconut doug
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There are various ways to interpret that data, but lockdown is bound to have an affect.

The fact that hospitals have cancelled non-urgent operations, and treatments of various conditions have been put on hold due to Covid suggest there are problems building up that will hit the NHS.

You are correct but working out which effect is strongest is difficult.

Lockdown is indeed storing up problems and lockdown is still preventing some Covid deaths. There are however significant numbers still dying of Covid in E+W and yet the excess death levels are below average. 

One Scottish anomaly is that is that worldwide around 57% of victims are male in Scotland this figure is only 50%. Reason is many older Scottish males are already dead.

28 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Be interesting to look back at the excess deaths figure when (if) this is over or at least just after it when deaths will presumably go back to the normal average. That'll give us answer as to whether ruining the economy was worth it or not. If this lasts 2 years and the overall average is not much different then the next time they ask for s lockdown might not be very successful.

Just why have we not tested everyone in the country ?

I know it would only give you a result at a certain date but that would itself help with tracing later if it became necessary.

It will be difficult but it is possible to get a very high percentage of the population tested quickly and those coming home apart from self isolating should also be tested after the 10/14 days

Nothing will ever be perfect until perhaps  a 'cure' of some sort is found but at least limit the possible 'spread' factors

Like it or not we will have to take risks to return to work as some are already doing so let's lessen the risks and test everyone for example who is going back to work in an office environment...it would help even if only to give some piece of mind that everything is being done

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Phew! Glad I don’t need to worry about getting COVID as I’m already dead.

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Nope, just the waist down unfortunately.

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Isn't there a vaccine for this problem?

:lol:

We need more posts like these imo.

Unknown user

Interesting that we now accept comparing deaths to previous years as a sensible method of measurement. Certain posters on here weren't having it at all when the figures didn't agree with their argument that the whole thing was being overblown 🤔

Covid deaths for the full month of July:
England  - 2230 
Wales     -    46
Scotland -     6
N. Ireland -   5

Tommy Brown
9 minutes ago, XB52 said:

England  - 2230 
Wales     -    46
Scotland -     6
N. Ireland -   5

Very poor figures for England.

9 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

This would make things interesting......

Should have been the way ahead from the start.

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Interesting that we now accept comparing deaths to previous years as a sensible method of measurement. Certain posters on here weren't having it at all when the figures didn't agree with their argument that the whole thing was being overblown 🤔

I've always been in favour of comparing deaths in a year vs year fashion. I was against comparing a week in March vs a week in March the previous year which the death crazed ghouls seemed keen to do.

Weakened Offender
14 hours ago, weehammy said:

Nicola will still be back out tomorrow announcing that it’s gone down to 17 cases with 259 in hospital and 2 in ICU.

image.jpeg.ec8abbe0ff6af0306bff3eec22cfc2a2.jpeg

When I was younger a wee hammy was a snide wank. Just saying. 😊

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Rumours abound that a lockdown of people aged over 50 is being considered, to prevent a full lockdown. Think it’s a bit more complex than just age with individuals being given a risk rating. 

Not saying it’s the right or wrong options, but amazed more targeted lockdown has never really investigated. 

This relates to England as far as I’m aware 

To be honest it’s probably what should have been done months ago. 

Nucky Thompson
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Rumours abound that a lockdown of people aged over 50 is being considered, to prevent a full lockdown. Think it’s a bit more complex than just age with individuals being given a risk rating. 

Not saying it’s the right or wrong options, but amazed more targeted lockdown has never really investigated. 

This relates to England as far as I’m aware 

Robert Jenrick laughed that off this morning. 

The Tories would never deploy that measure . Why over 50's anyway, when the vast majority of victims are over 70?

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I've always been in favour of comparing deaths in a year vs year fashion. I was against comparing a week in March vs a week in March the previous year which the death crazed ghouls seemed keen to do.

Why?

And why death crazed ghouls?

Weekly death rates are very very steady over multiple years, why is that not worth comparing if we're trying to work out whats happening? Am I a death crazed ghoul?

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Why?

And why death crazed ghouls?

Weekly death rates are very very steady over multiple years, why is that not worth comparing if we're trying to work out whats happening? Am I a death crazed ghoul?

Why? Because a lot of people who would have died later in the year have died earlier in it. They can't die twice (though I wouldn't put it passed them given how they measure covid deaths) so spring to spring deaths will of course be up, but I imagine (hope) that an annualised comparison will be less drastic. We'll see at the end of the year I guess.

Death crazed ghouls because they appear to find satisfaction in finding ways to make the death rate look as bad as possible and revel in any set backs we encounter in their rush to condemn others who aren't so bothered about it all.

Edited by Taffin

The Internet

This 'people seem to want this to be as bad as possible' chat has been around since day 1 of this and it's really really really tiresome. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Why? Because a lot of people who would have died later in the year have died earlier in it. They can't die twice (though I wouldn't put it passed them given how they measure covid deaths) so spring to spring deaths will of course be up, but I imagine (hope) that an annualised comparison will be less drastic. We'll see at the end of the year I guess.

Death crazed ghouls because they appear to find satisfaction in finding ways to make the death rate look as bad as possible and revel in any set backs we encounter in their rush to condemn others who aren't so bothered about it all.

Thats just you adding your negative slant to it though, if a weekly comparison is seen as a good sign that things are slowing down now, why was it not a good indicator of the full picture in April?

I think the death crazed ghoul thing is pretty snidey and beneath you tbh, I looked at those figures in good faith not to hurt your feelings or tell people how shit life is. Reality is worth examining from different angles.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This 'people seem to want this to be as bad as possible' chat has been around since day 1 of this and it's really really really tiresome. 

Yeah, shite patter

jack D and coke
15 hours ago, weehammy said:

image.jpeg.ec8abbe0ff6af0306bff3eec22cfc2a2.jpeg

Funny i listen to LBC quite a bit and the English callers all like the fact she does daily pressers. They think Boris should do the same. 

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Thats just you adding your negative slant to it though, if a weekly comparison is seen as a good sign that things are slowing down now, why was it not a good indicator of the full picture in April?

That's fair and I agree, personally I don't see it as useful in either direction but that's just my view. If it's an indicator of one thing, I agree that it's an indicator of the other too.

I think the death crazed ghoul thing is pretty snidey and beneath you tbh, I looked at those figures in good faith not to hurt your feelings or tell people how shit life is. Reality is worth examining from different angles.

Also fair and I apologise for using it in response to your post. It wasn't aimed particularly at you or anyone else specifically but more generally I feel there are people who present the worst possible view as though they get some kind of glee about showing others that it's all very, very serious and that they're silly for not worrying about it. I absolutely include the media in this. People are so obsessed by hearing about death that we've got a Scottish FM standing up everyday to tell us that nobody has died from it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Taffin

14 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Just why have we not tested everyone in the country ?

I know it would only give you a result at a certain date but that would itself help with tracing later if it became necessary.

It will be difficult but it is possible to get a very high percentage of the population tested quickly and those coming home apart from self isolating should also be tested after the 10/14 days

Nothing will ever be perfect until perhaps  a 'cure' of some sort is found but at least limit the possible 'spread' factors

Like it or not we will have to take risks to return to work as some are already doing so let's lessen the risks and test everyone for example who is going back to work in an office environment...it would help even if only to give some piece of mind that everything is being done

Maybe because the PM and his special adviser haven't figured out a way to give the contracts to their pals to make millions on the back of it.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's fair and I agree, personally I don't see it as useful in either direction but that's just my view. If it's an indicator of one thing, I agree that it's an indicator of the other too.

Also fair and I apologise for using it in response to your post. It wasn't aimed particularly at you or anyone else specifically but more generally I feel there are people who present the worst possible view as though they get some kind of glee about showing others that it's all very, very serious and that they're silly for not worrying about it. I absolutely include the media in this. People are so obsessed by hearing about death that we've got a Scottish FM standing up everyday to tell us that nobody has died from it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well fair enough, we don't all need to agree

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Well fair enough, we don't all need to agree

True, I need to get better at disagreeing though without using superlatives so thanks for calling that out. 👍

Weakened Offender
10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

People are so obsessed by hearing about death that we've got a Scottish FM standing up everyday to tell us that nobody has died from it 

It must be absolutely brutal thinking such drivel. I honestly hope your life improves. 

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

It must be absolutely brutal thinking such drivel. I honestly hope your life improves. 

Please enlighten me on what the point of repeatedly telling people something hasn't happened? Surely she only gives a death figure because the media want to know what that figure is? Despite it now always being zero. Until it's not zero, it's not news.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

True, I need to get better at disagreeing though without using superlatives so thanks for calling that out. 👍

It hurt my feelings 😢

Ah we all do it, I'm vicious at times, thinking its just the dutch influence being direct, but later I can see how snarly I can come across at times. 

My mum always tells me I was brought up a smart arse, not a fighter. Being a direct smart arse isn't always as brilliant as it sounds.

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I ain't no miracle worker, son. 

Fair enough. It's obviously a great message to be able to share I just feel she only has to share it everyday because the media demand a 'death figure'.

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fair enough. It's obviously a great message to be able to share I just feel she only has to share it everyday because the media demand a 'death figure'.

The same media who savage her at any opportunity? That media? 

Why it trouble you so much? The country went through a terrible few months. People were desperate for some hope. They have it now. If you don't like the fact the FM tells the country that the virus is being suppressed and that noone is dying then don't watch the briefings. 

It's really that simple. 😊

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It hurt my feelings 😢

Ah we all do it, I'm vicious at times, thinking its just the dutch influence being direct, but later I can see how snarly I can come across at times. 

My mum always tells me I was brought up a smart arse, not a fighter. Being a direct smart arse isn't always as brilliant as it sounds.

I apologise, it wasn't intended to hurt anyone's feelings. I forget that words are powerful and similar to yourself am guilty of snarling, particularly when communicating via written word.

Debating in person I'm actually pretty easy going and don't get riled much and am more happy to listen to others rather than voice my own opinion. I guess this place is a bit of a pressure release valve for me at times and it explodes out.

On this topic, if I'm honest I probably just really don't want to accept that my life will be altered for  years to follow and lose out on doing and achieving lots of things I've dreamed of. I therefore don't want to accept it's as bad as made out ☹️

15 hours ago, coconut doug said:

He shoots he scores.

Nae offence hammy but thedug bit back a guid yin

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

The same media who savage her at any opportunity? That media? 

Why it trouble you so much? The country went through a terrible few months. People were desperate for some hope. They have it now. If you don't like the fact the FM tells the country that the virus is being suppressed and that noone is dying then don't watch the briefings. 

It's really that simple. 😊

It doesn't bother me and I don't watch her briefings. I'm a huge fan of Nicola and pro SNP and independence. I was simply using it as an example of the media and some people's obsession about death figures that she feels there's a need to stand up and say nobody has died yesterday. It wasn't a dig at her in any way.

6 hours ago, XB52 said:

England  - 2230 
Wales     -    46
Scotland -     6
N. Ireland -   5

What's the breakdown of those deaths I wonder?

English cities?

Ethnicity?

And Wales in particular seems very high compared to us and the Irish.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

A couple of posters posting the same shite about COVID-19.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Robert Jenrick laughed that off this morning. 

The Tories would never deploy that measure . Why over 50's anyway, when the vast majority of victims are over 70?

I think they've lost control of things dahn sarf (if they ever really had control)

The pressure is very much on Johnson's strategy now. Tomorrow is the day you should stop working from home and head back into the office. On top of that Scottish schools are due to fully reopen next week, which will raise questions in the Mail & Express and all the while new cases are up, deaths aren't going down and they're having to lockdown areas. 

New plan? Lock down the over 50s. 

:kirk:

Jambo 4 Ever

Social distancing is important. Anyone who fails to adhere to the 2m distancing is potentially putting others at risk. Not acceptable 

1 hour ago, jake said:

What's the breakdown of those deaths I wonder?

English cities?

Ethnicity?

And Wales in particular seems very high compared to us and the Irish.

Sheep shagging Welsh. There's an outbreak in Aberdeen anaw. 

Scottish numbers: 2 August 2020

• 31 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 1.1% of newly tested individuals
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends)
  • 3 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19
  • 265 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19
  • 8,243 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Scottish numbers: 2 August 2020

• 31 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 1.1% of newly tested individuals
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends)
  • 3 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19
  • 265 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19
  • 8,243 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

How is 31 confirmed cases 1.1% of newly tested individuals?

8243 new tests

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic