Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I feel safer wearing one. It’s not an uncomfortable experience either. The more people do it the more normal it will become. 

Who the hell wants it to become normal? No thanks.

0.02 of Scotland's population are estimated to have the virus, how low that needs to be and for how long will determine when we get back to normal.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Walter Bishop

32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree James. The govt propaganda machine was certainly successful in terms of leaving sections of the population terrified. Don't see the point in worrying about situations that may never happen. There are lots of risks in life and that is just a part of living.

Evidence over fear - 

https://t.co/MY2Otx97WN?amp=1

5 million active cases, 1% serious or critical - 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by Walter Bishop

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Evidence over fear - 

https://t.co/MY2Otx97WN?amp=1

5 million active cases, 1% serious or critical - 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Interesting reading Walter and, yes, I remember the daily obsession of the BBC which spoke of very little else. The messaging has certainly been geared towards scaring the population witless with, in a lot of instances,  unfounded claims.

Walter Bishop
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Interesting reading Walter and, yes, I remember the daily obsession of the BBC which spoke of very little else. The messaging has certainly been geared towards scaring the population witless with, in a lot of instances,  unfounded claims.

Yeah, the biggest one was when the narrative changed to "The virus does not discriminate" in an attempt to keep everyone indoors despite the fact all along its been the very elderly and those with underlying health conditions that are most at risk. 

2 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Yeah, the biggest one was when the narrative changed to "The virus does not discriminate" in an attempt to keep everyone indoors despite the fact all along its been the very elderly and those with underlying health conditions that are most at risk. 

I'm fairly open minded, why do you think the government have done what you say?

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I feel neither safer nor more responsible with one on, especially after being told by the same politicians not to bother a few months back. 

It is very uncomfortable and makes my breathing erratic. 

The more people do it, the more it shows that fear is ultimately our greatest motivational factor. 

Do you think we knew more about this virus 3 months ago than we do now? 

Walter Bishop
Just now, graygo said:

I'm fairly open minded, why do you think the government have done what you say?

To stop those under 50 years of age living their lives as normal whilst the elderly and vulnerable in society were told to shield, it would never have worked, those in the shielding category wouldn't have stood for it. You cant have a rule one for one and a rule for another, so they used scaremongering to get everyone to follow the "rules". 

3 months ago i never seen a way out of this. Watched far to much news and read too many headlines. Then I started following a group of people on twitter who changed my whole outlook on the whole "Pandemic". Well worth having a look at some of their pages.

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
Ivor Cummins @FatEmperor
Professor Karol Sikora @ProfKarolSikora
David Paton @cricketwyvern
Alistair Haimes @AlistairHaimes

Walter Bishop
7 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

The doom and gloom merchants on this thread :rofl:. It’s like they thrive off it. 

100% this. 

Walter Bishop
53 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I feel safer wearing one. It’s not an uncomfortable experience either. The more people do it the more normal it will become. 

If they are so important, why wait 12 more days to implement the wearing of them?

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, graygo said:

0.02 of Scotland's population are estimated to have the virus, how low that needs to be and for how long will determine when we get back to normal.

Won’t do any harm 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I really don't see the problem, if there's medical reasons for not wearing one then fine but other than that why wouldn't you???

This 

too many selfish ignorant twits out there who won’t wear one... including some on here it seems!

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree James. The govt propaganda machine was certainly successful in terms of leaving sections of the population terrified. Don't see the point in worrying about situations that may never happen. There are lots of risks in life and that is just a part of living.

Exactly , we need to learn to live with the risk like we do with everything else , not stay frightened in the house thinking too far ahead about what mAy or may not happen . Yes the fear factor from the Govt and the media has certainly worked for most of the population 

35 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

To stop those under 50 years of age living their lives as normal whilst the elderly and vulnerable in society were told to shield, it would never have worked, those in the shielding category wouldn't have stood for it. You cant have a rule one for one and a rule for another, so they used scaremongering to get everyone to follow the "rules". 

3 months ago i never seen a way out of this. Watched far to much news and read too many headlines. Then I started following a group of people on twitter who changed my whole outlook on the whole "Pandemic". Well worth having a look at some of their pages.

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
Ivor Cummins @FatEmperor
Professor Karol Sikora @ProfKarolSikora
David Paton @cricketwyvern
Alistair Haimes @AlistairHaimes

I've not looked at any of those Twitter accounts so can't comment on them yet.

If your first part is correct then although it might seem underhand maybe scaremongering or subtle persuasion was the best way for the government to  get the population to follow the guidelines.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I can’t get my tinfoil because I won’t wear a mask to a shop. Hard times. 

Twit.  😁

Blathering on about just living with the risk at this stage is witless beyond words. The objective right now is to contain this thing, if there weren't measures to contain it we can be confident it would be rife and health resources would be overwhelmed.

We have people here who know absolutely f*%k all about this science or any science for that matter but still feel qualified to proclaim that the government, who have access to top expert advice outside some yahoo on an internet forum know nothing.

Think about the sheer stupidity. The government want to severely effect the economy for absolutely nothing. Who is stupid here?

Scaremongering about a pathogen that is so infectious it went global in a matter of weeks after discovery? Yes indeed, the stupidity is mind boggling.

Why bother having any experts at all in any science when we can always rustle up some non expert babbling tit on an internet forum for the real deal.

9 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I don't dispute that at all.

What I'm saying and what concerns me is that some people are so focused on covid, that they seem to think it's the only thing out there that can kill them, or at least that's the way it seems to me, with some folks.

Thank feck they didn't have that philosophy back in 1939. 😕

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

This 

too many selfish ignorant twits out there who won’t wear one... including some on here it seems!

N.O, PLEASE STOP! Most people are doing the right thing, but constantly badgering and calling people twats(Twits), God! I almost feel like putting my masks in the bin. 

As for grassing. Never have, never will. But this is something I've never understood. Why is the person who grasses up a criminal, worse than the criminal? He killed 10 people, aye but that fecking scumbag, grassed him up. Feck off!!! 

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

It’s not, Dave.

It’s maybe 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there.  Once a day.  What’s the problem?  🤷🏿‍♂️

This.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

N.O, PLEASE STOP! Most people are doing the right thing, but constantly badgering and calling people twats(Twits), God! I almost feel like putting my masks in the bin. 

As for grassing. Never have, never will. But this is something I've never understood. Why is the person who grasses up a criminal, worse than the criminal? He killed 10 people, aye but that fecking scumbag, grassed him up. Feck off!!! 

Don't bite to that twit mate, he knows what he's doing

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Blathering on about just living with the risk at this stage is witless beyond words. The objective right now is to contain this thing, if there weren't measures to contain it we can be confident it would be rife and health resources would be overwhelmed.

We have people here who know absolutely f*%k all about this science or any science for that matter but still feel qualified to proclaim that the government, who have access to top expert advice outside some yahoo on an internet forum know nothing.

Think about the sheer stupidity. The government want to severely effect the economy for absolutely nothing. Who is stupid here?

Scaremongering about a pathogen that is so infectious it went global in a matter of weeks after discovery? Yes indeed, the stupidity is mind boggling.

Why bother having any experts at all in any science when we can always rustle up some non expert babbling tit on an internet forum for the real deal.

Incredible isn't it? 

15 hours ago, Frank said:

Won't pretend to know the first thing about epidemiology but nope, I'm not doing it.

Might have complied earlier if it weren't for the flip-flopping of the 'expert' opinion.

No chance now, I won't be compelled to toe the line in this instance. The whole thing is a bad joke, I walked past two police officers in Morrison's yesterday, they didn't give a hoot - Sturgeon can ram her masks!

:cornette:

Walter Bishop
41 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Incredible isn't it? 

Not really, no. You cant live your life hiding in a cupboard. There are balanced views and opinions out there from many experts from all walks of life. It just baffles me why people only choose to listen to those predicting doom and gloom and are quite happy to debunk anyone with a bit of positivity. Life must be a hoot right now being one of those people.

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, graygo said:

Folk would have us scuttling about like this, graygo.

tumblr_m6wloo49uP1qcf707o1_500.gifv

Edited by Governor Tarkin

10 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

You can have as many expert opinions on the wearing of face masks as you like the simple fact is that 0.04% of the population in Scotland have COVID.  

That's not a fact. We don't know how many have it, as many only get mild or no symptoms, whereas others don't get symptoms for up to 2 weeks after catching it. These people will not have been tested and won't show on any records. 

4 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Not really, no. You cant live your life hiding in a cupboard. There are balanced views and opinions out there from many experts from all walks of life. It just baffles me why people only choose to listen to those predicting doom and gloom and are quite happy to debunk anyone with a bit of positivity. Life must be a hoot right now being one of those people.

Who's hiding in a cupboard? You seem to confuse people sticking to the guidelines with people being locked away in their houses 24 hours a day with the windows boarded up. 

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

What, like you, you mean?

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Irufushi said:

The doom and gloom merchants on this thread :rofl:. It’s like they thrive off it. 

Look at some of the newspaper headlines and they’ll cheer you up.

I can understand why some folk can’t handle the reality of what we’re faced with and need to feed off conspiracies and the like.

While the virus presence is low at the moment, I think the mask requirement and all the social distancing measures for places is to try prepare us for a second wave. It might not happen of course! But I’d rather we had the foundations there so we can limit how much it rips through communities again.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Let’s make sure the NHS doesn’t get overwhelmed again. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, kila said:

I can understand why some folk can’t handle the reality of what we’re faced with and need to feed off conspiracies and the like.

Correct.

Big Gary Knew.

EllipticalSilentChamois-size_restricted.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, kila said:

While the virus presence is low at the moment, I think the mask requirement and all the social distancing measures for places is to try prepare us for a second wave. It might not happen of course! But I’d rather we had the foundations there so we can limit how much it rips through communities again.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Let’s make sure the NHS doesn’t get overwhelmed again. 

I agree.

Your second last sentence made me smile.
Being a Hearts supporter that should come as second nature.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How is rejecting evidence and suggesting that the government are lying to us showing positivity by the way? 

This is one of the ones that gets me.Yes the government ( around the world not only here ) in my eyes have ****ed things a lot but wpuld they really have ****ed up the economy if the risks were not great ?

Things are much better though and im more relaxed about everything but still cautious.The worry now has to be now about the long term effects of how the government is going to deal with the upcoming unemployment.

I also think positivity comes across on here as being blase about the whole thing when ot most probably isn't.

Just my opinions which have somewhat changed over time.

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That's not a fact. We don't know how many have it, as many only get mild or no symptoms, whereas others don't get symptoms for up to 2 weeks after catching it. These people will not have been tested and won't show on any records. 

Due to the fact there have hardly anyone dying of Covid In Scotland recently I tend to believe the official numbers to be as close to factual as possible. If there was large numbers of folk walking around asymptomatic then simply put they aren’t infecting anyone otherwise folk would be falling Ill or dying. Unless of course you believe Covid is weakening and not having the same severe affects as before

Anyways, people aren’t dying and aren’t reporting that they are falling ill. That’s the important FACTS here. 

Walter Bishop
7 minutes ago, kila said:

Conspiracy theories? 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, vegas-voss said:

I also think positivity comes across on here as being blase about the whole thing when it most probably isn't.

Agreed.

Why the need for face coverings now?

The country is opening up, distancing is reducing, buses/trains are moving from 1/3 capacity to 1/2, definitely more strangers getting closer to each others respiratory tracts.

8 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

If they are so important, why wait 12 more days to implement the wearing of them?

Good question. It’s Boris however enough said. 

Governor Tarkin
13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

‘Grassing’ is an interesting word in many ways. 😄

How's that, Dave?

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Good question. It’s Boris however enough said. 

To be fair there was a delay of when they became mandatory in Scotland as well.Nicola didnt just say right facemasks and the next day folk were to wear them.I think its just to give everyone enough time to get them.

3 minutes ago, OBE said:

Why the need for face coverings now?

The country is opening up, distancing is reducing, buses/trains are moving from 1/3 capacity to 1/2, definitely more strangers getting closer to each others respiratory tracts.

Personally I think it’s because we need more people to go back to work in offices ect as they use trains and buses then they buy coffee, sandwiches ect so spend money 

Wearing a mask makes people feel safer so are more likely to leave their house 

A mask gives you a feeling of security even though they are probably a waste of time 

Walter Bishop
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

To be fair there was a delay of when they became mandatory in Scotland as well.Nicola didnt just say right facemasks and the next day folk were to wear them.I think its just to give everyone enough time to get them.

It didn't have to be a mask though, can be a scarf or a an old or a cut up T-shirt. 

Maybe it's to prevent the "2nd Wave". 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-53392148?__twitter_impression=true

7 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

It didn't have to be a mask though, can be a scarf or a an old or a cut up T-shirt. 

Maybe it's to prevent the "2nd Wave". 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-53392148?__twitter_impression=true

Second wave is nothing new though its been talked about  potentially coming in the winter since lockdown first came into effect.

Edited by vegas-voss

Governor Tarkin
Just now, jonesy said:

A good few paragraphs below the sensationalist headline: 

Prof Stephen Holgate, a respiratory specialist from University Hospital Southampton NHS Trust, who chaired the report, said: "This is not a prediction - but it is a possibility.

Some folk are just wired up to be drawn to the worst case scenario, jonesy. To them optimism is both irresponsible and incomprehensible.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic