Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was at B and M at the Corn Exchange .  It was quite busy and there was only one woman who didnt have a mask on.  Late 60s..  Good to see most were though. 

People starting to take heed of the Duke of Hamilton's robust advice. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was at B and M at the Corn Exchange .  It was quite busy and there was only one woman who didnt have a mask on.  Late 60s..  Good to see most were though. 

Great news

21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

When you say death rate do you mean the number of deaths that have occurred by time  (a few months) or the number of deaths in relation to those who contracted the virus?

The former

Won't pretend to know the first thing about epidemiology but nope, I'm not doing it.

Might have complied earlier if it weren't for the flip-flopping of the 'expert' opinion.

No chance now, I won't be compelled to toe the line in this instance. The whole thing is a bad joke, I walked past two police officers in Morrison's yesterday, they didn't give a hoot - Sturgeon can ram her masks!

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Indeed. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Frank said:

Won't pretend to know the first thing about epidemiology but nope, I'm not doing it.

Might have complied earlier if it weren't for the flip-flopping of the 'expert' opinion.

No chance now, I won't be compelled to toe the line in this instance. The whole thing is a bad joke, I walked past two police officers in Morrison's yesterday, they didn't give a hoot - Sturgeon can ram her masks!

:rofl:

You should’ve reported them.

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So whats your solution then ?

To follow the Scottish Government's FACTS guidelines and not just pretend that this is like the common cold.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

To follow the Scottish Government's FACTS guidelines and not just pretend that this is like the common cold.

Alternatively one could listen to the Kickback experts.

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Great news

Yes it was good to see as it was all different age groups from teenagers to older adults. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I think most are doing this but also noting the remarkable decrease in deaths and infections. We can do both. 

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The former

I'm surprised in that case, I'd have thought a number of those would have racked up more deaths in the same time frame. Particularly cancer and probably road traffic accidents too. Maybe I am underestimating the severity of covid/overrestimating the severity of those other things.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm surprised in that case, I'd have thought a number of those would have racked up more deaths in the same time frame. Particularly cancer and probably road traffic accidents too. Maybe I am underestimating the severity of covid/overrestimating the severity of those other things.

Excess deaths were more than twice the average in some parts of the UK.

Edited by Ray Gin

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Excess deaths were more than twice the average in some parts of the UK.

Yeh, I'm just surprised is all. I just would have expected cancer to have killed a lot more people, say Feb to Jul than Covid. I'd have also expected road traffic accidents and suicides to be not a million miles away either. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, I'm just surprised is all. I just would have expected cancer to have killed a lot more people, say Feb to Jul than Covid. I'd have also expected road traffic accidents and suicides to be not a million miles away either. 

Cancer will have overtaken it again now that Covid has been brought under control. UK Cancer deaths are around 450 per day compared to 1445 Covid deaths at its peak.

Jambo-Jimbo
37 minutes ago, Frank said:

NO will be apoplectic over this news, it could send him over the edge...........just hope you can live with that.

33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

You should’ve reported them.

Would have been a giggle, eh? Nah, on a serious note, this caper has got neighbours grassing each other in to the cops, really weird stuff - slightly Orwellian, imo.

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

11 U.K. total for today.

530 new infections. 

That must be the lowest death rate since before lockdown.

I read today that the UK has dealt with 100 outbreaks.

It seems like they are on top of it thankfully and I mean all the UK nations as a whole

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Frank said:

Would have been a giggle, eh? Nah, on a serious note, this caper has got neighbours grassing each other in to the cops, really weird stuff - slightly Orwellian, imo.

Neighbours contacting the police.

That’s pathetic.

Howdy Doody Jambo
33 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Indoor, surface transmission 

Sounds like a made up story 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Frank said:

‘Grassing’ is an interesting word in many ways. 😄

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Oh that's fine then, as long as most people are ok. **** the 50,000+ dead and those left with horrific lasting health problems. Tough luck.

I'm afraid Covid is no different in that respect to hundreds of other illnesses, diseases & conditions which can leave someone with permanent long term after effects.

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm afraid Covid is no different in that respect to hundreds of other illnesses, diseases & conditions which can leave someone with permanent long term after effects.

But Covid is different in that it is highly infectious and has racked up almost 13 million recorded cases globally in under 6 months. 

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

No surprise there.

Mrs JJ has a work collegue who has had it twice, no question marks, no false positives or negatives, infected twice.

She caught covid in March, it was like a bad flu she said.

Came back to work in May, then at the start of June began to feel unwell and tested positive again, this time she wasn't that ill, just felt a bit off for a few days, 14 days later tested negative once again.

Hospital is convinced she was infected two seperate times.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

But Covid is different in that it is highly infectious and has racked up almost 13 million recorded cases globally in under 6 months. 

I don't dispute that at all.

What I'm saying and what concerns me is that some people are so focused on covid, that they seem to think it's the only thing out there that can kill them, or at least that's the way it seems to me, with some folks.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I don't dispute that at all.

What I'm saying and what concerns me is that some people are so focused on covid, that they seem to think it's the only thing out there that can kill them, or at least that's the way it seems to me, with some folks.

The issue with CV19 is that seriously ill folk end up in ICU. Then hospitals become overwhelmed as cases rise and there is not enough capacity.

So while CV19 might not kill someone, it might indirectly if they were in a car accident and needed a ventilator but there were none available.

Yes there are many other ways to die, but the CV19 disease impacts us all because of the strain it puts on the health service.

Hopefully a proven treatment is found so severe cases that would've ended up in hospital can recover at home.

Edited by kila

With many survivors having permanent internal organ damage, this puts them in the high risk category of any 2nd wave.

Catching it again could easily kill them.

Especially when several studies have shown that antibodies seem to decline rapidly in just a few months.

This winter could be a shocker.

Edited by Cade

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

With many survivors having permanent internal organ damage, this puts them in the high risk category of any 2nd wave.

Catching it again could easily kill them.

Especially when several studies have shown that antibodies seem to decline rapidly in just a few months.

This sadly 

Just now, Cade said:

This Winter is going to be a very difficult period indeed. We're going to be facing the flu season while this still simmers away. People are going to get flu, experience flu symptoms, and wonder do I have flu or covid-19?

Now prior to this pandemic if you had flu symptoms you basically thought oh feck it, I have flu, get me some lemsip.

But with th pandemic going on this worry about what it is may all on it's own see resources in the form of doctors and hospitals stretched to the limits.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Neighbours contacting the police.

That’s pathetic.

Someone on this board, had a visit from plod when he was getting work done on his house.

Curtain twitchers no doubts.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Someone on this board, had a visit from plod when he was getting work done on his house.

Curtain twitchers no doubts.

I remember that.

Sad people. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No surprise there.

Mrs JJ has a work collegue who has had it twice, no question marks, no false positives or negatives, infected twice.

She caught covid in March, it was like a bad flu she said.

Came back to work in May, then at the start of June began to feel unwell and tested positive again, this time she wasn't that ill, just felt a bit off for a few days, 14 days later tested negative once again.

Hospital is convinced she was infected two seperate times.

Yeh sadly you might be right

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-immunity-how-long-does-immunity-last-there-covid-19-vaccine-and-can-you-get-virus-twice-2911975

Nucky Thompson
51 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

This Winter is going to be a very difficult period indeed. We're going to be facing the flu season while this still simmers away. People are going to get flu, experience flu symptoms, and wonder do I have flu or covid-19?

Now prior to this pandemic if you had flu symptoms you basically thought oh feck it, I have flu, get me some lemsip.

But with th pandemic going on this worry about what it is may all on it's own see resources in the form of doctors and hospitals stretched to the limits.

The majority of people won't ever have had the flu.

Loads of people get bad colds and think it's flu.

I've not had a cold in a good couple of years, but when I do it's usually blocked nose and loads of sneezing and sore throat. A cough sometimes comes near the end. 

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to distinguish going by the 3 main symptoms of Covid

I agree that the NHS will be inundated by worried people with common colds

You can have as many expert opinions on the wearing of face masks as you like the simple fact is that 0.04% of the population in Scotland have COVID.  When travel restrictions start to ease and business open back up they are only doing so with all the other measures in place; ie social distancing and the likes. When tourists start arriving they are only going to arrive from countries which are deemed to have  this virus under control as well. Plus there will be other measures in place to make sure infected people don’t enter the country. If cases start to spike then what are we going to say about the face masks? 

it is either safe or it isn’t to let things open and let the resumption of travel happen. All this was made possible without the need to make mandatory face mask wearing and it would have continued to happen without them. Pathetic political point scoring by our first minister imo. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

davemclaren
56 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You can have as many expert opinions on the wearing of face masks as you like the simple fact is that 0.04% of the population in Scotland have COVID.  When travel restrictions start to ease and business open back up they are only doing so with all the other measures in place; ie social distancing and the likes. When tourists start arriving they are only going to arrive from countries which are deemed to have  this virus under control as well. Plus there will be other measures in place to make sure infected people don’t enter the country. If cases start to spike then what are we going to say about the face masks? 

it is either safe or it isn’t to let things open and let the resumption of travel happen. All this was made possible without the need to make mandatory face mask wearing and it would have continued to happen without them. Pathetic political point scoring by our first minister imo. 

I suppose the plan is to keep it at or below 0.04% though it looks like Boris might well join her on point scoring in this. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I prefer to live each day at a time And not visualise possible horror scenarios in the future . There really is no use worrying s it the future as there’s nothing you can do about it . Try mindfulness meditation ! 

Edited by JamesM48

If it’s 0.04%, then something is going well.

The masks perhaps didn't make that figure happen, but the wearing of them will surely add to it's stability ?

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I prefer to live each day at a time And not visualise possible horror scenarios in the future . There really is no use worrying s it the future as there’s nothing you can do about it . Try mindfulness meditation ! 

I'm not worrying about it, i'm speculating about the future. That's normal and necessary human behavior. If you can't think about it without worrying well feel free to pretend it doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Imbecile. 

As a ‘part-time’ mask wearer, I have to agree with your post.  :thumbsup:

Wearing a face covering in shops and supermarkets in England is to become mandatory from 24 July.
Those who fail to comply with the new rules will face a fine of up to £100, the government is to announce.
The move will bring England into line with Scotland and other major European nations like Spain, Italy and Germany. 

Enzo Chiefo
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree James. The govt propaganda machine was certainly successful in terms of leaving sections of the population terrified. Don't see the point in worrying about situations that may never happen. There are lots of risks in life and that is just a part of living.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

As a ‘part-time’ mask wearer, I have to agree with your post.  :thumbsup:

I’ve never worn one yet as I’ve not been in a shop or bus/train since lockdown started. I don't see it as a big imposition though. 

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Wearing a face covering in shops and supermarkets in England is to become mandatory from 24 July.
Those who fail to comply with the new rules will face a fine of up to £100, the government is to announce.
The move will bring England into line with Scotland and other major European nations like Spain, Italy and Germany. 

It’s virtually mandatory here, has been for weeks now, and it’s really not a big problem.

Just now, davemclaren said:

I’ve never worn one yet as I’ve not been in a shop or bus/train since lockdown started. I don't see it as a big imposition though. 

It’s not, Dave.

It’s maybe 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there.  Once a day.  What’s the problem?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Just now, Morgan said:

It’s not, Dave.

It’s maybe 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there.  Once a day.  What’s the problem?  🤷🏿‍♂️

I really don't see the problem, if there's medical reasons for not wearing one then fine but other than that why wouldn't you???

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s virtually mandatory here, has been for weeks now, and it’s really not a big problem.

I feel safer wearing one. It’s not an uncomfortable experience either. The more people do it the more normal it will become. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic