Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Infections in Italy also increased, you'd think with the lock-down infections would be deceasing, but they're not, that was another 6,000+ since yesterday.

In Lombardy it was something like 541 deaths in the last 24 hrs.

Do you have a link for your 6000+ cases mate?

BBC reporting 4400 and cases (slightly) on the slide.

0DE859C2-BDA7-48F7-9A5B-1189E313D731.jpeg

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would just go full on lockdown shut down buses and taxi keyworkers to and from work..the ones that can't drive

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Surely if the tests are accurate and it suggests a reasonable chunk of the population have had it, we should tentatively start moving in that direction.

It sounds like a smokescreen - the tests don't exist; the tests haven't been tested but they've ordered 3.5m of them? They sound about as ready as the PPE that the NHS staff are still waiting for...

26 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Is running reduced services not just going to make more folk packed into buses 

2 or 3 on most buses just now

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It sounds like a smokescreen - the tests don't exist; the tests haven't been tested but they've ordered 3.5m of them? They sound about as ready as the PPE that the NHS staff are still waiting for...

They have a sample number but that isn't enough to verify accuracy.   When they come in numbers they're going to front line workers who will be the Guinea pigs.    They'll want tens of thousands of results before any verification begins to carry sufficient weight.

10 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Again, the number in ICU beds is more telling.

Rodger Mellie
5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

As you say just heartbreaking news and those in healthcare in the world risk their lives by going into work to help others.

heroes each and every single one of them the world over 

I work in healthcare in Connecticut. It's pretty sobering witnessing first-hand, the effect this virus is having on everybody in the healthcare system. 

11 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Try this for data.  It is pretty comprehensive and depressing

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

9000 deaths in Italy.  5000 in the last 7 days.

Brutal.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They have a sample number but that isn't enough to verify accuracy.   When they come in numbers they're going to front line workers who will be the Guinea pigs.    They'll want tens of thousands of results before any verification begins to carry sufficient weight.

Having seen what protection nurses have been told is to be the now standard kit for dealing with possible/probable cases our medics are going to be falling like flies - compare this to the full Hazmat suits in the Italian videos and 2500 medics are still affected there...

image.png.d89b633927cec517102005e11860a18a.png

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Having seen what protection nurses have been told is to be the now standard kit for dealing with possible/probable cases our medics are going to be falling like flies - compare this to the full Hazmat suits in the Italian videos and 2500 medics are still affected there...

image.png.d89b633927cec517102005e11860a18a.png

Yep. It’s acceptable for healthcare staff to be going into rooms largely unprotected  with folk coughing and spluttering. 

The Mrs is booked in for a face mask fitting on Tuesday. 

She's not getting one. Just getting fitted for if and when they are ever supplied. 

14 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Try this for data.  It is pretty comprehensive and depressing

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

9000 deaths in Italy.  5000 in the last 7 days.

Brutal.

Yeah. Don’t think today’s figures have been updated. It was just in a group chat and I repeated the 6000+ figure. BBC is reporting the 4400.

Desperately wanting to see Italy’s infection numbers slide. 

Having a wobble here after a decent day.

There will be a public inquiry to this one day and the issue of PPE will feature very highly.     But there's so much bureaucracy,   complexity and bullshit in the spider's web of procurement and logistics that they'll make a lot of noise about it but end up blaming it all on systemic dysfunction or some other lie.

2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

What you need to remember is that folk who are acting like arseholes in the current situation were almost certainly arseholes beforehand - and will continue to be arseholes when it’s all over. 

Indeed. One of the fundamental constants in the universe.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

There will be a public inquiry to this one day and the issue of PPE will feature very highly.     But there's so much bureaucracy,   complexity and bullshit in the spider's web of procurement and logistics that they'll make a lot of noise about it but end up blaming it all on systemic dysfunction or some other lie.

In 2017, NHS bosses asked for a stockpile of PPE to be begun, in order to combat any potential flu outbreak (even a seasonal one)

Jeremy Hunt refused, saying it was too expensive.

Just now, Cade said:

In 2017, NHS bosses asked for a stockpile of PPE to be begun, in order to combat any potential flu outbreak (even a seasonal one)

Jeremy Hunt refused, saying it was too expensive.

He's been tackled already on the subject but suffered a bit of a memory glitch.

I highly suspect that there is fairly routine decision making in Italy involving treatment being diverted away from people depending on age and condition factors.    If that's unavoidable then it's unavoidable and it's not exactly something you can make public.     If their death rate numbers are significantly made up of this policy then they should have a steep drop off on the graph once their emergency period eases.

I don't know if anyone has posted it but the unofficial Scottish coronavirus tracker at https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/ has now revamped its analysis by region to add more information. A useful site and kudos to the guy who created it and keeps it updated.

Edited by redjambo

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's difficult though. Buy this stuff in to stick in a warehouse to never see the light of day and the Daily Mail will be screaming about wasted money. 

There will be learning and recrimination in the years to come. Some will be justified. 

Statutory leave entitlement to be allowed to carry forward to 2021.    Don't agree with this.    Business will need everything in it's favour for the recovery and people sitting with extra leave days wont help.    I would give the NHS months of leave when it's possible for them.

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They will just say they didn’t get the email.

Case closed.

6 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

The buses are pretty much empty 

Aye and I just had a look at the changes they are doing a decent job of keeping things going.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

It's difficult though. Buy this stuff in to stick in a warehouse to never see the light of day and the Daily Mail will be screaming about wasted money. 

There will be learning and recrimination in the years to come. Some will be justified. 

Think that ship has sailed.    It will be enshrined in law for PPE stock levels to be kept very high from now on.    There will be an almighty public led movement to support the NHS in all ways.     The people will literally force a revolution on this.

Mac_fae_Gillie
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I highly suspect that there is fairly routine decision making in Italy involving treatment being diverted away from people depending on age and condition factors.    If that's unavoidable then it's unavoidable and it's not exactly something you can make public.     If their death rate numbers are significantly made up of this policy then they should have a steep drop off on the graph once their emergency period eases.

If you got 120 people needing ventilators and you got 100 ventilators 20 folk going without. Question is do you pick those younger more likely to survive without or those that are older that will most likely die even on a ventilator.... hard choices to make.

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Statutory leave entitlement to be allowed to carry forward to 2021.    Don't agree with this.    Business will need everything in it's favour for the recovery and people sitting with extra leave days wont help.    I would give the NHS months of leave when it's possible for them.

I'm working full on. Don't see me taking holidays any time soon. 

But fair enough. Only NHS workers matter. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Whoa there tiger.

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

What is wrong with you you seem to have something very much against the NHS

You were at it yesterday as well.One of these folk that think they are nothing until they need them by the sounds of it.

Edited by vegas-voss

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not really what I said.    I think the government have done a lot to support the incomes of millions of people and (most) employers are being supportive of staff.    Employers and businesses will have a monumental task of recovery later on and one thing they probably don't need is lots of staff sitting on extra leave entitlement.     Each case is different of course.

Edited by Victorian

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Me too, 100 hours over 11 days and we'll see what follows that, but they deserve it more than any of us.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, The Roller said:

Worldometers have it as 5,909 and the reporter live in Rome on Sky News said 6,000 new cases.

Link, not for the Sky News report as it was a live report and Worldometers is here. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Number of deaths in UK yesterday not due to or linked to Coronavirus .. about 1700. The comparison with one off disasters in the past is a bit trite.

Edited by Francis Albert

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Worldometers have it as 5,909 and the reporter live in Rome on Sky News said 6,000 new cases.

Link, not for the Sky News report as it was a live report and Worldometers is here. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Can only see data up to 26th March on there. Italy was 6200 cases yesterday, nothing for the 27th yet.

Francis Albert
24 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

If you got 120 people needing ventilators and you got 100 ventilators 20 folk going without. Question is do you pick those younger more likely to survive without or those that are older that will most likely die even on a ventilator.... hard choices to make.

As someone in the older more vulnerable category I don't really think it is all that hard a decision ... 

2 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Can only see data up to 26th March on there. Italy was 6200 cases yesterday, nothing for the 27th yet.

the table on the page you linked with all the countries had todays totals on it, they have  not updated the individual countries page for italy yet so 6200 yesterday and 5909 today

3 minutes ago, The Roller said:

5909 new cases with 100 more in critical condition.

Greedy Jambo
52 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It wiz china, mate

Jambo-Jimbo
35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That'll be a never then.

Many including my wife have done extra shifts in the past, this is the way it works, well on her ward at any rate.

They work extra hours or even part or full shifts, they don't get paid for it, as they get told that they'll get the time back in lieu, but when they ask for the time off further down the line, it's often, oh we're short staffed sorry you can't take it off then, sometimes this goes on several times until and it has happened that they run out of time to take the time off and lose it, so they have worked for nothing.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Well I clicked on my own link just now and it's last updated 27th March at 19:07

27 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Number of deaths in UK yesterday not due to or linked to Coronavirus .. about 1700. The comparison with one off disasters in the past is a bit trite.

Is this not a one off disaster likes? 

How many of those 1700 deaths yesterday   have been indirectly affected / caused by the Coronavirus i.e. people waiting on other operations or receiving reduced levels of care. 

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

How many of those 1700 deaths yesterday   have been indirectly affected / caused by the Coronavirus i.e. people waiting on other operations or receiving reduced levels of care. 

I don't know. Nor do I know how many of the Coronavirus victims would have died anyway from their underlying conditions. If not yesterday but very soon. My point was that the once in a decade or so of one-off eminently avoidable or deliberatelly created  disasters or outrages  have no relevance to what is going on now.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
23 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

‘big’ numbers die everyday and did do before the virus turned up

everyday is a disaster for hundreds/thousands of families it’s just not on the telly and because it’s predictable it’s a bit less scary for society

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

58 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the table on the page you linked with all the countries had todays totals on it, they have  not updated the individual countries page for italy yet so 6200 yesterday and 5909 today

57 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

5909 new cases with 100 more in critical condition.

51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well I clicked on my own link just now and it's last updated 27th March at 19:07

Ok boys, thanks.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic