Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Tories will never get away with shrinking and under-funding the NHS for a long time.    People will remember this event with enduring fear of a repeat.    Nobody who pays attention to such things will ever want to see this happen again and certainly wont tolerate the same standing start preparedness.

Things to introduce

A retained reserve force of ex-staff

Retained emergency estate

Mandatory reserves of ICU resources

Mandatory rolling stock levels of PPE

Rapid response systems of procurement

Rapid response logistics

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I saw this a few weeks back, 10th of March.

B0724134-5929-4505-887A-C55DAF16EFA9.jpeg

And it is completely untrue.

The couple were in southern Italy, far from the outbreaks in the north. They did everything that was expected of them with the knowledge and advice available at that time - minimal social contact etc.

That sort of social media ill-informed frenzy does a lot to take away from the positives that social media can provide.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

All the more rage inducing in that he has said his kids will get hee haw from him when he dies...WTF is going to happen to his 140 million? Selfish arrogant tosspot.

Probably go to all the law suits of all the people he’s bullied over the years into making his fortune, **** him and his kids.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Boof said:

And it is completely untrue.

The couple were in southern Italy, far from the outbreaks in the north. They did everything that was expected of them with the knowledge and advice available at that time - minimal social contact etc.

That sort of social media ill-informed frenzy does a lot to take away from the positives that social media can provide.

You sure about that, a resident from Shetland seems to infer it was true up there ^ ^ ^ ^

Footballfirst

The USA has now overtaken both Italy and China in terms of the number of reported cases. They have reported almost 14,000 new cases today with a few states still to add their returns.

Meanwhile Trump is still looking to get the country back to work, sooner rather than later.

Italy will overtake China tomorrow as it's only 700 behind. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Boris said:

They do, and that's good.

But...come the next general election, how many of those clapping will still put their cross in the Tory box?

Their demographic will be significantly reduced.

Worthing Jambo
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

My cousin's in the welsh nhs, he appreciates the thought but thinks it's a bit pointless, they already know they're appreciated just now.

He said what they'd really appreciate would be if everyone remembered how important they are once this is all over and started fighting for the NHS and decent wages for them.

We are all to blame for this not political parties.

They all know it would have been political suicide to say that they would increase taxes to fully fund the NHS and care system etc.

Only a few would have voted for it.

Especially in my neck of the woods.

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You sure about that, a resident from Shetland seems to infer it was true up there ^ ^ ^ ^

Feels weird sticking up for a Hibby...but,

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/03/12/couple-who-tested-positive-urges-people-to-support-the-nhs-in-its-attempt-to-contain-the-spread-of-coronavirus/

I'm also a Shetland resident.
We shut our schools (to pupils) a full week before the Scottish mainland and to staff from Monday this week.

Edited by Boof

manaliveits105

Could we introduce some social distancing on this thread i.e. 

only 1 copy and paste know it all every  hour ( usual suspects) 

only 1 government hater every 2 hours

only 1 conspiracy theorist every 3 hours 

this will leave more space for informative posts and  positivity hopefully 

Thank you 

48 minutes ago, Homme said:

I was in the shower at 8 so forgot about and missed the whole thing. 

Mrs Homme is front line in NHS and was quite emotional about it - she said it fel weird but nice but then she is modest. 

Certainly not patronising or otherwise. Some may not like all those social media inspired stuff but tonight I imagine was genuine gratitude from a population who are pretty scared and need people to look to. 

The more I think about it, a couple of comments on this thread are out of order imo. 

My wife is a nurse for the NHS and was also emotional about it. Not because of what people were clapping for, but because everyone had come together.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it won't last.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

My wife is a nurse for the NHS and was also emotional about it. Not because of what people were clapping for, but because everyone had come together.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it won't last.

Loads of folk including my wife who is a carer think things will change in 2 years time.

No it won't.

You'll be coming up to traffic lights,  decide not to go through amber and the white van man behind you will bang on his horn and then when everyone gets going he'll cut across folk to make up time.

Banks won't say, in the light of day after all the country has gone through, 39.9% rates are extortionate.

And so on and so on......

29 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The USA has now overtaken both Italy and China in terms of the number of reported cases. They have reported almost 14,000 new cases today with a few states still to add their returns.

Meanwhile Trump is still looking to get the country back to work, sooner rather than later.

Italy will overtake China tomorrow as it's only 700 behind. 

There's no way that China's figures are right.  Poorer health system than Italy, poorer infrastructure, higher demographic of the worst age affected, significantly poorer population than industrial north Italy.  Add at least 2 zeros to their figures and would be closer.  Got a mate in China and even they don't believe the figures.   

Must have been audited by duff and Phelps.   

31 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

They all know it would have been political suicide to say that they would increase taxes to fully fund the NHS and care system etc.

And it’ll be political suicide again as soon as all this blows over. 

East Lothian Jambo
15 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

There's no way that China's figures are right.  Poorer health system than Italy, poorer infrastructure, higher demographic of the worst age affected, significantly poorer population than industrial north Italy.  Add at least 2 zeros to their figures and would be closer.  Got a mate in China and even they don't believe the figures.   

Must have been audited by duff and Phelps.   

I'm not sure we have any way of knowing the accuracy of what is being peddled out of China 

I do think China will be viewed very differently by the world in the aftermath of this 

Wouldn't deal with china after this. Rebuild our industry and produce our own stuff and deal with countries which give shit about human and animal rights and don't start world pandemics by not disclosing information sooner. Arsehole countrty

Edited by AlimOzturk

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wouldn't deal with china after this. Rebuild our industry and produce our own stuff and deal with countries which give shit about human and animal rights and don't start world pandemics by not disclosing information sooner. Arsehole countrty

Much easier said than done but I understand the sentiment 

12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/health/coronavirus-thousand-deaths-thursday/index.html

America is in big trouble with this. Just seem so ****ing ill equipped to deal with it. 

With their money they have a chance.

But their current President is the biggest arsehole leader in the world by a country mile.

But still nearly 50% , if not more of their population follow his every word.

Bindy Badgy
51 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Loads of folk including my wife who is a carer think things will change in 2 years time.

No it won't.

You'll be coming up to traffic lights,  decide not to go through amber and the white van man behind you will bang on his horn and then when everyone gets going he'll cut across folk to make up time.

Banks won't say, in the light of day after all the country has gone through, 39.9% rates are extortionate.

And so on and so on......

I was hoping that this would lead to a change in the way in which our economy works.

This disease is caused by us poaching wild animals and keeping them in horrendous conditions where disease transmission is inevitable. We've seen the environmental changes that have occurred from grounding flights for a couple of weeks. This seems like an opportunity to change things for the better and reduce consumption after everything has subsided.

Now that China appears to have got over the outbreak they're ramping up production to make up for lost time. In a year we'll be right back where we started.

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to be not so entwined with them as we appeared to be heading before this crisis. The danger of being too reliant on imports from countries who, traditionally, don’t share our values on democracy, human rights or security, may cause a realignment of thought of domestic security over those cheap imports.
It doesn’t stretch the imagination too much to envisage a different world after this passes.

Edited by SectionDJambo

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to be not so entwined with them as we appeared to be heading before this crisis. The danger of being too reliant on imports from countries who, traditionally, don’t share our values on democracy, human rights or security, may cause a realignment of thought of domestic security over those cheap imports.
It doesn’t stretch the imagination too much to envisage a different world after this passes.

Give it a year tops and selfishness will take over.

12 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I was hoping that this would lead to a change in the way in which our economy works.

This disease is caused by us poaching wild animals and keeping them in horrendous conditions where disease transmission is inevitable. We've seen the environmental changes that have occurred from grounding flights for a couple of weeks. This seems like an opportunity to change things for the better and reduce consumption after everything has subsided.

Now that China appears to have got over the outbreak they're ramping up production to make up for lost time. In a year we'll be right back where we started.

Yep.

We had out first House Party chat tonight and when we got round to football it was suggested that initially many grounds will be sold out as we are so desperate to watch football again.

The same will be said of so many other aspects of life.   The race to the bottom will imo opinion intensify.  Someone will discover the next greatest gadget in the world that most of the Western world can't survive without and only the Chinese can produce cheaply.

As we were till the next time.

But the periods between every  next time is shortening.

Edited by DETTY29

It’s, as always showing the best and worst of us.

People being kind and volunteering to help neighbours etc

Greedy arseholes

Applauding the NHS

Refusing to listen to basic instruction to prevent the spread of a, potentially fatal illness.

Strange days indeed

heartsfc_fan

Related to the current situation, I popped into Tesco earlier for essentials and the price of petrol was 102.9p 😲 madness. Not seen it that low for a long time.

Granton

My wife and I put our wee Bluetooth speaker on the window sill and I pumped applause and cheering through it from YouTube .🤦‍♂️I know but it done it's job and helped getting quite a few joining in. 

My wife works in a care home, it's been a really stressful,tense time for her so she shed a wee tear.

I think it was good for her to get a release so maybe it's a good thing if in some way people get that if nothing else. 

Maybe collectively we needed it as there's not been much good news about.

Showing appreciation by clapping costs you nothing. It's consolidation with our fellow citizens, just like a minutes silence in November. Just feck up if you can't bring yourself to support the Services who are fighting for our lives.

Robbo-Jambo
26 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

After being inside for days, I went for a walk and to a big Lidl today.

I was a bit scared of what the shops would be like, but it was alright. Wasn't too busy, stock was ok. Most people were distancing. Still strange though.

In the Country Park, quite a few families with children were out. Which is unusual. Often playing in amongst the trees. Not many dog walkers. 

I was sceptical about the #ClapForTheNHS earlier, and thought nobody round here would do it.

I went outside at 8pm and many of my neighbours were doing it and I joined in.

It was surpassingly touching, I felt like crying. 

(I saw a poster use the word release, in a recent post above. Thats a good word for how I felt.)

Felt the same in that is was surprisingly emotional and a bit surreal at the same time. 

Sometimes feel that I am on the outside looking in at some sort of movie going on around about me. 

Strange days followed by sleepless nights at the moment. 

32 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I was sceptical about the #ClapForTheNHS earlier, and thought nobody round here would do it.

I went outside at 8pm and many of my neighbours were doing it and I joined in.

It was surpassingly touching, I felt like crying. 

(I saw a poster use the word release, in a recent post above. Thats a good word for how I felt.)

A showing of solidarity can’t be a bad thing. Particularly in recent times when folk have just been looking after themselves and their own.

Most are doing their part, wether it be working for the NHS, keeping the supply chain moving and shelves stocked or simply just staying home. Remove one link in that chain and it won’t work. 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

I didn't mention political parties, but as you bring it up, here are the Tories cheering after voting down decent pay rises for nurses, firemen, police, teachers.

We don't need to raise taxes, we need to spend on things that are actually important, prioritise correctly.

John Gentleman
19 minutes ago, gjcc said:

A showing of solidarity can’t be a bad thing. Particularly in recent times when folk have just been looking after themselves and their own.

Most are doing their part, wether it be working for the NHS, keeping the supply chain moving and shelves stocked or simply just staying home. Remove one link in that chain and it won’t work. 

Same goes for our equivalent here — Medicare. 

It would be a very foolish politician to stuff around with them; there's just huge popular mainstream support.

That why the USA is in deep trouble — they don't have an equivalent. Just noticed that their total number of cases now exceeds China (85,360). Yet, 50% of them will still cheer on Trump. Are they really that stupid?

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Not looking good. 
She’s been moved to the ICU and put into an induced coma.

Really sad to hear that Isn. Hope she pulls through 

John Gentleman
19 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Really sad to hear that Isn. Hope she pulls through 

Likewise from me mate.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I didn't mention political parties, but as you bring it up, here are the Tories cheering after voting down decent pay rises for nurses, firemen, police, teachers.

We don't need to raise taxes, we need to spend on things that are actually important, prioritise correctly.

We also need notably, I don't know, lets say politicians (Jacob Reece Mogg) and business people (Branson and Dyson) to stop hiding behind offshore tax havens and bring their wealth back to the UK to be taxed properly.

And the same for any Scottish or Welsh independents who have offshore wealth hidden away too.

Tommy Brown

Spain , France and Switzerland are showing progressively higher critically ill.

Germany has imo bizarrely low.critcally I'll figures. Would like to think  that these are good figures to compare, these will hospitalised cases.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Unknown user

10 hours ago, heartstastic said:

I looked into this as I couldn't believe it wasn't being reported everywhere.

Here's the man himself on twitter

Screenshot_20200327-065211_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.87d7ed8b2f09c1c17ba5e8cab724d922.jpg

How the feck can you eat, pay rent, power and heat yer house from £80 odd a week universal credit. Aye, people would rather not work.  :Aye:

Tommy Brown
19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

How the feck can you eat, pay rent, power and heat yer house from £80 odd a week universal credit. Aye, people would rather not work.  :Aye:

sounds as if getting a job with a local supermarket is a better option, Ri?

9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

sounds as if getting a job with a local supermarket is a better option, Ri?

Need to what til June for cis 80% thingy, so I've applied for Menzies multi drop driving. Need to work, bud. Tesco etc... Anything!!! 

My van hire fae work is now been suspended too. Great! 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

70% of deaths in Italy are Men. 

Are you surprised ? Majority of men, especially the older you get completely ignore anything said to them and think nothing can hurt them. Generally a bunch of arseholes. It will be the same has this country, the majority of deaths will be men. 

Edited by Dazo

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Are you surprised ? Majority of men, especially the older you get completely ignore anything said to them and think nothing can hurt them. Generally a bunch of arseholes. It will be the sane is this country, the majority of deaths will be men. 

Womens immune systems are better, apparently. China is the same, BTW. 

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Womens immune systems are better, apparently. China is the same, BTW. 

Probably due to being able to have children. Still think it’s what I said. 

Tommy Brown
28 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Are you surprised ? Majority of men, especially the older you get completely ignore anything said to them and think nothing can hurt them. Generally a bunch of arseholes. It will be the same has this country, the majority of deaths will be men. 

It's a stat I would like to see.

Sex/age/health/blood group

We'll never see it until afterwards, it would send out wrong signals.

Everyone must assume it could kill them.

Edited by Tommy Brown

14 hours ago, graygo said:

So if you've been self employed and don't have at least a years accounts you're getting nada, nil, zilch.

As suggested it's 80% of average of last 3 years or less if that's all you have.

We have made a loss for the last 3 years as we have reinvested to bring our Hotel up to standard, so it looks like we will get nada, nil, zilch

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

70% of deaths in Italy are Men. 

38 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It doesn’t surprise me at all. A large percentage have terrible hygiene levels imo. How many times do you see a guy walk straight past the sinks and out the door of the toilet. It’s bad enough they’ve been for a pee and not washed their hands, but loads who have just had a dump do it too, leaving you to try and exit the place using the same handle they’ve just used.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Harry Potter
7 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

We have made a loss for the last 3 years as we have reinvested to bring our Hotel up to standard, so it looks like we will get nada, nil, zilch

Hopefully more rules come in to place to help you bud, im sure there will be.

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

Why ? You have made less than 50k profit and have more than a years accounts? 

I do find it a bit ironic that plumber A who is under the £50k threshold by taking cash in hand will benefit but Plumber B who put everything  through the books and made £60k will miss out.

something wrong there

Edited by kingantti1874

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic