Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think that’s a good idea. 

Holidays :rofl:

No one will be in any position to take any more time off, once this is over. Christmas will also be cancelled.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No one will be in any position to take any more time off, once this is over. Christmas will also be cancelled.

Plenty people still working and thousands due refunds from holidays they’ve already paid for. 

You’re right though, it’ll be another year minimum until I’m considering a holiday and many others in the same boat.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This,   sort of.     Holidays will be hugely deserved for many people when they can have one.     For many others they just wont be important.      This will be all about financial survival for most and god only knows what the new standard of living settlement will be during the aftermath.      

When this event is over,    we're not going back to something similar to the previous economy.     It will be a different landscape.

Evening news are getting a hard time for scaremongering about lothian buses .

Lots of comments from actual employees who are giving the opposite view.

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Sorry i didnt mean specifically in relation to mortgage.

I assume that in the event that you cant work you can have self employed income protection and cover yourself for a set amount?

I dont know, im just curious. It just seems if i were in that situation it seems like a fairly sensible and standard thing to do, yet few seem to have it?

I think the difference is that it's the government that is stopping you working, no fault of your own so they are obliged to help.

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Self employed question...

Announcement imminent but i was wondering, i had income protection insurance when i first took out mortgage

should self employed not be paying   somesort of income protection insurance as par for the course?

Is it not a bit like patching your house insurance and then it going up in flames?

Just trying to understand. Perhaps ive missed something and being a bit naive?

There will be people like me, who did not bother telling the mortgage lender that I have become self employed - I've only got 2 months left to go and since I overpaid my mortgage by 3x I have 50% of the mortgage value as a credit line if things really go bad!... People who have joint mortgages with someone who is employed....There are also issues with people who are both employed and self-employed - double kerching! People who employ their wife (read housewife) as company secretary to utilise her personal allowance - kerching, kerching, kerching!

It is a minefield for the Chancellor and will likely be an utter balls up however he does it.

9 hours ago, Tott said:

Simon Calder (travel journalist and broadcaster for the BBC),less than two weeks ago,was advising everybody to go cruises,trips to  america,spain  etc if they were already booked.Just go and enjoy yourself.On  national radio this welt was saying it was nothing to worry about.

Same turd ,still on radio/tv  just now,no apologies for tthe dreadful advise given,just greeting about  how the travel industry will never recover from this virus outbreak.

We was also saying how he was in India(I think) or somewhere in Asia and how he had to scramble to get flights home using more than one Airport. 

All right for him with his tidy bank balance from his TV work, meanwhile the rest of us mere holidaymakers who followed his advice are stressed and cleaned out. As you say no hint of an apology just feckin obvious advice to those left behind to get home anyway you can. 

Cheers for that Simon. 

Dont get me started on the foreign office, British Consul in the Canaries and Ryanair who all decided they didn't need to answer their telephones. 

45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This,   sort of.     Holidays will be hugely deserved for many people when they can have one.     For many others they just wont be important.      This will be all about financial survival for most and god only knows what the new standard of living settlement will be during the aftermath.      

When this event is over,    we're not going back to something similar to the previous economy.     It will be a different landscape.

There will be no need for paid holidays anyway. Just book your flights and tell the boss you need to "self-isolate"...

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We was also saying how he was in India(I think) or somewhere in Asia and how he had to scramble to get flights home using more than one Airport. 

All right for him with his tidy bank balance from his TV work, meanwhile the rest of us mere holidaymakers who followed his advice are stressed and cleaned out. As you say no hint of an apology just feckin obvious advice to those left behind to get home anyway you can. 

Cheers for that Simon. 

Dont get me started on the foreign office, British Consul in the Canaries and Ryanair who all decided they didn't need to answer their telephones. 

Are people not capable of making decisions for themselves? Sorry, but anyone who went on holiday after the 1 March was a total idiot for whom I have no sympathy. BBC News had some young guy moaning that he was told there was a flight out of Peru but never heard any more about it and it went without his knowledge. He hadn't even bothered to get his ass to Lima from Cuaca(sp?) which is high altitude so doesn't have international flights. He expected the Govt to plan his whole trip back...

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Young Alfie on 5L just now.

Missed start of interview on how young but wouldn't put past 4 or 5 by his voice.

Symptoms so severe he needed to be rushed to hospital by ambulance.

Wife's pals laddie ( he is 7 ) suffers from bad asthma and allergies.They thought he had it as he was struggling to breath and constant coughing but luckily it was croup.It shows the panic you go through as a parent especially if your child has  a condition though.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

… or if you lose your bet you will expect to be bailed out by others 

If it’s good enough for the banks..

doctor jambo
20 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

There will be people like me, who did not bother telling the mortgage lender that I have become self employed - I've only got 2 months left to go and since I overpaid my mortgage by 3x I have 50% of the mortgage value as a credit line if things really go bad!... People who have joint mortgages with someone who is employed....There are also issues with people who are both employed and self-employed - double kerching! People who employ their wife (read housewife) as company secretary to utilise her personal allowance - kerching, kerching, kerching!

It is a minefield for the Chancellor and will likely be an utter balls up however he does it.

it is, but I wonder what has being going on.

As a sole trader who pays tax ( no dividends or any other scams) even if I drop a month income, then over the 12 months then its only 8% of the annual.

After this businesses will reopen and may see a "surge" as everyone gets their nails done, gardens done etc- so presumably the govt will be wanting our money back?

That if over the 12 months your overall income was OK - your going to get stung for repayments, as you didnt need it

joondalupjambo

I started a small business in Australia that is still running fairly successfully however the Covid-19 is now hitting hard and so the Government there has put in several assistance measures.  A few like delaying VAT and paying tax due on employees wages are similar to here in the UK. However what they are also doing is an additional small businesses step by giving them a lump sum of cash paid direct into their bank accounts.  No forms to fill in and no loan rules to worry about, a simple cash boost based on the businesses payroll and average tax with held payments over the last few FY's. For us it is the equivalent of circa 10k GBP's.

Here we now see, I think Treasury rules and more so Bank rules kicking in whereby applying for emergency business support loans has now raised serious issues for companies in relation to the loans and business owners having to put up personal assets to guarantee them.

I assume the Aussie method is down to the much lower volumes of companies being offered support.  However the point is that a direct payment method is possible yet we choose to make it difficult in an already very difficult time.

As it happens I do not think it is a Tory issue, more a Treasury and Bank led problem.  If Labour were in power I think they would have their hands tied on what they could do as well.  So not try to score political points here with this at all.  It is just interesting how other Governments are handling this.

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Is it not something to do with Viral load that is creating these young cases ?

yes, same as the 17% of cases are health workers as you are more exposed and more frequently

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

As soon as this is over I'll be taking holidays if possible.

Edit: with the caveat that I'm not furloughed in the interim. In which case I'll be delighted to just get back to work when it's over.

Edited by Taffin

4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

yes, same as the 17% of cases are health workers as you are more exposed and more frequently

Thanks for reply man 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Coronavirus: Police tell sunbathers defying lockdown in London: 'It's not a holiday'

Authorities disperse a gathering in Shepherd's Bush using megaphones and tell people to 'go home'.

https://news.sky.com/video/police-tell-sunbathers-defying-coronavirus-warnings-in-london-its-not-a-holiday-11963242

I've not clicked the link but think that's 'Peebles'. The polis were defintely on SB Green on Tuesday, telling the sunbathers to eff off back home. Hopefully, they've not had to go back and do the same. I cycled through on Monday afternoon and it was just like the Green always is on a sunny day, including muppet parents looking after their kids on the climbing frame and swings. We've got some not very bright people in London.

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Are people not capable of making decisions for themselves? Sorry, but anyone who went on holiday after the 1 March was a total idiot for whom I have no sympathy. BBC News had some young guy moaning that he was told there was a flight out of Peru but never heard any more about it and it went without his knowledge. He hadn't even bothered to get his ass to Lima from Cuaca(sp?) which is high altitude so doesn't have international flights. He expected the Govt to plan his whole trip back...

There is an awful lot of total idiots out there then. 

Our Hotel was busy, the flight was full, and the resort was pretty much normal for the time of year. 

Edinburgh Airport was busy the day we left as well. 

I know you work abroad and are experienced in these matters but the rest of us tend to listen for Government and expert advice. 

It's quite offensive to label less clued up people than yourself idiots. 

Anyway my ire is more directed at Ryanair and Travel Republic who were happy to take us out there after pocketing our cash and took no responsibility for getting people home and cut their lines of communication. 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Did people really think it was only old people who got this?

If they did then they're fools.

They did kind of at the start it was not until it was raised at the pm briefing that younger folk were catching it that the government starting changing their tune about it.Before that it was only very mild to moderate was the tone without even saying moderate is a pretty brutal 5 days of shit as well.

Jambo-Jimbo

North Yorkshire Police are to set up checkpoints to stop drivers and ask where they are going and if the journey is really necessary.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

They did kind of at the start it was not until it was raised at the pm briefing that younger folk were catching it that the government starting changing their tune about it.Before that it was only very mild to moderate was the tone without even saying moderate is a pretty brutal 5 days of shit as well.

I don't recall it being suggested that younger and middle aged people (20-60) were less likely to catch it, just that the risk of death was significantly lower than the elderly.

I could be wrong but I've always thought I had just as high a chance of catching it as an elderly person but that I would be fine. I've now changed that view to accept that younger people can also become seriously ill and die from it.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't recall it being suggested that younger and middle aged people (20-60) were less likely to catch it, just that the risk of death was significantly lower than the elderly.

I could be wrong but I've always thought I had just as high a chance of catching it as an elderly person but that I would be fine. I've now changed that view to accept that younger people can also become seriously ill and die from it.

It's not the catching, it's the effect/affect on the young compared to the old.

doctor jambo

In Gp land it’s moved over the last week from the worried well to the really ill phase.

a real change in what we are dealing with.

its getting worse daily as are the patients 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

It's not the catching, it's the effect/affect on the young compared to the old.

Yeh, I know. The post I originally quoted said people thought young people were less likely to catch it...I was just querying whether anyone ever thought that 👍

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, I know. The post I originally quoted said people thought young people were less likely to catch it...I was just querying whether anyone ever thought that 👍

Youngsters are probably the main carrier. The don't seem to give a shit. Well some anyway.

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Exactly. Moderate seems much worse than normal flu. 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

In Gp land it’s moved over the last week from the worried well to the really ill phase.

a real change in what we are dealing with.

its getting worse daily as are the patients 

Sounds hellish. Good luck but seems inevitable you will catch it at some point. 

19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yes but the way it was portrayed as being nothing more than a slight cough for younger folk led a hell of a lot not to give a shit about it.America would have been different though Trump was completely dismissive of it at the start so no doubt a lot of young folk there probably did think they were immune to catching it.

Sainsbury's Murrayfield have closed the Gorgie entrance but have not put up a sign to say the other entrance is open.

When I walked round to the Murrayfield entrance, they had a sign saying 'Gorgie entrance is closed, use Murrayfield entrance'.

😐

But they have added tape to the entrance floor to encourage social distancing when queueing outside and are limiting amount of folk in the shop. Stock levels are quite reasonable, only the booze that's not been replenished but the lorries aren't bringing that yet only key supplies I think which is fair enough.

Edited by kila

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, King prawn said:

Yes. I live relatively close to the centre but on a quiet street. Normally the only vehicles I see during the day are the dustbin men and the odd delivery driver but police have been doing laps from time-to-time. I was told 31,000 people have been fined in Spain for breaking the rules of the quarantine and that was last week! I daren't leave the apartment other than to go to the supermarket. 

I hope the number of cases and deaths begin to decline soon otherwise this quarantine is going to last a lot longer than the 3 weeks we were initially going to have. 

To be honest mate, I've got into the mindset that I'm housebound for 3 months now as a bare minimum, I think if people are thinking shorter term, then it may affect them more when we're put into further lock down over a longer period. 

3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Self employed question...

Announcement imminent but i was wondering, i had income protection insurance when i first took out mortgage

should self employed not be paying   somesort of income protection insurance as par for the course?

Is it not a bit like patching your house insurance and then it going up in flames?

Just trying to understand. Perhaps ive missed something and being a bit naive?

Income Protection plans are designed to pay out when someone is off work long term sick, they're absolutely brilliant plans to have in place for yourself, but they all have exclusion periods ranging from 1 day, to 6 months, you basically choose which exclusion period suits you best of all and base this on how long you'd be able to survive with what cash you have stashed away for yourself, and the shorter the exclusion period, the more expensive the plan becomes because there's more risk to the insurer, and the monthly premium is often a driver in the length of the deferment period to make the plan affordable to people. 

The problem with covering the Covid-19 virus is simple really, you'll either fall ill and recover again before most deferment periods are actually reached, or you'll fall ill and just die, it's really that blunt (in this case your separate life policy would kick in and pay out to the surviving family members), so the qualifying deferment period wouldn't be reached in over 90% of policies before a claim could be made anyway, and insurers are not going to open themselves up to claims when they don't have to I'm afraid. 

Hope this helps, but if you've any more questions on this then please just ask as I'm a mortgage and protection adviser and set these up for people. 

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

At the beginning there seemed to be this perception amongst many younger people that they had nothing to fear from getting this virus as it was only old people who were being hospitalised and dying, they also thought that if they did get it, they were only going to get a mild flu if anything at all.

It wasn't until things started to emerge from China and in one of the pressers from the WHO where they mentioned deaths amongst young people and children did anyone really sit up and go wait a minute, I thought this only affected old people, because that was the first time apart from unverified information coming out of China that an official organisation confirmed that young people were dying as well.

I can't recall anybody saying young people had less chance of catching this, but equally it wasn't made clear by any of the authorities, especially at the start that young people were also catching the virus, being hospitalised and were dying, maybe if they had, then maybe the lock-downs imposed by various countries might have been better observed when they did came in, instead of the blase attitude some showed towards the whole thing.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there seems to be a slew of teens that have ended up in hospital after attending a coronavirus lockdown party.

The most tragic part about this, when things get bad in hospitals, these same people will be given priority over some 40 or 50 something year old asthmatic that more or less stuck to the advice we were given.

Edited by BlackJAC?

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there seems to be a slew of teens that have ended up in hospital after attending a coronavirus lockdown party.

The most tragic part about this, when things get bad in hospitals, these same people will be given priority over some 40 or 50 something year old asthmatic that more or less stuck to the advice we were given.

I wouldn’t give priority to them. If they don’t have any care about their own lives or anyone else’s, then why should we care about theirs more than any 40/50 year olds.

9 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

And these teens will have a far higher dose due to viral load.

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Just what the NHS needs, when they are already being stretched by the sheer number of cases, they also have to deal with these stupid tw@ts.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just what the NHS needs, when they are already being stretched by the sheer number of cases, they also have to deal with these stupid tw@ts.

Where are the twat parents🤷🏼‍♂️

21 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

That's why it needs to get rammed into young folks heads about viral load.Thats not to say all young folk are the same cause they are not but it needs addressed imo.

Jambo-Jimbo

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Where are the twat parents🤷🏼‍♂️

They were probably down at the pub having their last pint before the lock-down.

Remember a poster posted that there was a party going on in his local park with lots of young people.

Older person goes about normal life, gets infected by a couple of other people, ends up hospitalised.

Younger person goes to a party, gets infected by LOTS of people, ends up hospitalised due to having a far larger dose.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They were probably down at the pub having their last pint before the lock-down.

Remember a poster posted that there was a party going on in his local park with lots of young people.

Wallyford club was seeminly rammed on Friday night both young and old no doubt Woodburn club would have been heavy too.No doubt spreading it all over East Lothian and Midlothian.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Wallyford club was seeminly rammed on Friday night both young and old no doubt Woodburn club would have been heavy too.No doubt spreading it all over East Lothian and Midlothian.

Many pubs up and down the country were rammed last Friday.

I would not be surprised to see a huge increase of cases over the next week or so.

Jambo-Jimbo

Another grim day for Spain.

Deaths up by 655 in the last 24 hrs and over 8,500 new infections.

In Italy in the Lombardy region they are at last seeing a decline in the number of deaths and infections, however they are now seeing an increase of deaths and infections in the South of Italy, which has to be a real worry as the South doesn't have the same medical resouces that the North does.

Ok we are not fully testing, so we the public dont know the true numbers that have actually got COVID - 19

As from yesterday, the next of kin will have to give permission for the deceased to be included in the death figures, so the public will never know if we are getting true figures. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic