Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

48 minutes ago, The Roller said:

I’m shocked, Twitter feed called savethenhs having a pop  at the government. 

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Death figures are all we can trust in the UK.

Link above is making that look sketchy too. Not accurate, but still indicative.

edit

Do you live in Madrid?

Is this permission being sought a new thing ?  If so what an odd time to start that and makes you wonder why. 

Edited by Dazo

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loads of scepticism around the delay in releasing figures and the lower than expected numbers.

Hopefully this was because the authorities were double, triple checking to make sure rather than any form of massaging or change in approach.

Young Alfie on 5L just now.

Missed start of interview on how young but wouldn't put past 4 or 5 by his voice.

Symptoms so severe he needed to be rushed to hospital by ambulance.

6 hours ago, Tott said:

Simon Calder (travel journalist and broadcaster for the BBC),less than two weeks ago,was advising everybody to go cruises,trips to  america,spain  etc if they were already booked.Just go and enjoy yourself.On  national radio this welt was saying it was nothing to worry about.

Same turd ,still on radio/tv  just now,no apologies for tthe dreadful advise given,just greeting about  how the travel industry will never recover from this virus outbreak.

IMO all foreign holidays should be cancelled for the rest of this year. Any visitors to any country in the world should have a mandatory 7 day isolation period imposed on arrival. I’m sure after this most people can go a year without a holiday. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
27 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’m shocked, Twitter feed called savethenhs having a pop  at the government. 

Is this permission being sought a new thing ?  If so what an odd time to start that and makes you wonder why. 

Think there is issue over telling a family a person has passed before it is made public so even if not named they are not to be added to the figure until the family know, this may disrupt the daily figure a little  but they would be added as soon as cleared to do so.

40 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Death figures are all we can trust in the UK.

Link above is making that look sketchy too. Not accurate, but still indicative.

edit

Do you live in Madrid?

Yes. I live relatively close to the centre but on a quiet street. Normally the only vehicles I see during the day are the dustbin men and the odd delivery driver but police have been doing laps from time-to-time. I was told 31,000 people have been fined in Spain for breaking the rules of the quarantine and that was last week! I daren't leave the apartment other than to go to the supermarket. 

I hope the number of cases and deaths begin to decline soon otherwise this quarantine is going to last a lot longer than the 3 weeks we were initially going to have. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

IMO all foreign holidays should be cancelled for the rest of this year. Any visitors to any country in the world should have a mandatory 7 day isolation period imposed on arrival. I’m sure after this most people can go a year without a holiday. 

My sister is looking at taking kids to Disney for Christmas to forget this year, just daft in my view even though she is not going to book anything for months I just say forget this year and save.

11 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’d add that there should be a global agreement that any country which is the start of a new virus should be effectively closed immediately. Borders have been closed far too late and we must learn from this. 

Anti body tests maybe ready next week.

If they are these need to be managed by post, local NHS or whatever but in no way available over counter, online.

I'm not sure I get the point in living or restricting your life by the calendar. Go on holiday once you are satisfied it is safe to do so. If this happens to be before the 31st December then so be it.

From Obama ex ACA head so naturally a Democrat view.

Three 'headline' shout outs.

America soon to have 50% of world cases

Scientists want to avoid an Easter Sunday Massacre

Should be America's Last, not America's first.

Plus a lot more.  Good news that wholesale testing only weeks away rather months.

Montgomery Brewster
25 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

There will be no foreign holidays for a long time / until effective treatment / vaccine. 

when countries get on top of their own localised infections they won’t be opening up their borders for any Tom dick and Harry to reinfect them again.

14 day quarantine periods either side of trips abroad lie ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

There will be no foreign holidays for a long time / until effective treatment / vaccine. 

when countries get on top of their own localised infections they won’t be opening up their borders for any Tom dick and Harry to reinfect them again.

My sister in law has gone back to Dublin for 4 months and yep 14 days self isolation.

Irish folk at Cheltenham who went straight back to work testing positive.

WorldChampions1902

In England, I understand that the Department For Health has instructed Health Authorities to redeploy non-frontline NHS staff to help out on hospital wards. If true, that means Admin staff working alongside medics, many of whom have no protective equipment. That being so, these Admin staff have no chance of getting the protective equipment they should have.

I've a wee problem running through my head, here. The Scottish government has closed building sites yet the UK has not. When building firms/Self employed in Scotland go to claim for loss of earnings, what's to stop the UK government telling us to :bolt:

Will the SG cover these funds if this happens, or will either or both end up in court.

Any knowledge would be appreciated. :thumb:

Edited by ri Alban

Self employed question...

Announcement imminent but i was wondering, i had income protection insurance when i first took out mortgage

should self employed not be paying   somesort of income protection insurance as par for the course?

Is it not a bit like patching your house insurance and then it going up in flames?

Just trying to understand. Perhaps ive missed something and being a bit naive?

The travel industry is worth trillions to the global economy. Folk really think it is getting shut down permanently until a vaccine is found? 

Imagine the amount of business that would foldnin the tourist industry as a result 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've a wee problem running through my head, here. The Scottish government has closed building sites yet the UK has not. When building firms/Self employed in Scotland go to claim for loss of earnings, what's to stop the UK government telling us to :bolt:

Will the SG cover these funds if this happens, or will either or both end up in court.

Any knowledge would be appreciated. :thumb:

Its interesting because Health is devolved but Social Security not.

Edited by DETTY29

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Its interesting because Health is devolved but Social Security not.

A head scratcher.

2 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Announcement imminent but i was wondering, i had income protection insurance when i first took out mortgage

should self employed not be paying   somesort of income protection insurance as par for the course?

Is it not a bit like patching your house insurance and then it going up in flames?

Not sure how that could be enforced upon the self employed, tbh. Same as PAYE employees we are all given the option upon taking out a mortgage for loss of income protection, critical illness protection etc.

You roll the dice and take your chances.

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The travel industry is worth trillions to the global economy. Folk really think it is getting shut down permanently until a vaccine is found? 

Imagine the amount of business that would foldnin the tourist industry as a result 

Heard a report from an economist that once GDP falls by 6%, more lives will be lost than the impact of coronavirus.

Edited by DETTY29

Montgomery Brewster
4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nobody said airlines would be shutting down. There will be increased quarantine periods which will start to be announced as part of the exit plans once the peak phase is over for now.

Jambo-Jimbo

Just heard a New York doctor on Sky News say that, this is much worse than 9/11, we were open and waiting on patients who never came, now..............they just keep on coming.

He also added that not to kid yourself that it's only old people, it's all ages who are getting this.

31 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Anti body tests maybe ready next week.

If they are these need to be managed by post, local NHS or whatever but in no way available over counter, online.

The government experts have said they wont be available for some time yet.    They have zero data on the accuracy rate for them.    The ones coming in will all be used for front line workers to first of all benefit the return to work / remain at work situation with the secondary purpose to get crucial data on the tests.

They were quite categoric that these tests will not see the light of day if they're not happy with the accuracy rate.    My guess is that they would want a very high accuracy to consider a wide roll out.    They spoke about the dangers of false positive and false negative testing going on.     My guess would be the accuracy having to be extremely high.    Inaccuracy as little as 1 or 2 per 1000.

6 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Nobody said airlines would be shutting down. There will be increased quarantine periods which will start to be announced as part of the exit plans once the peak phase is over for now.

Even then that would put people off travelling. If what folk are predicting is true then the travel and tourist industry will fold. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

3 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Not sure how that could be enforced upon the self employed, tbh. Same as PAYE employees we are all given the option upon taking out a mortgage for loss of income protection, critical illness protection etc.

Sorry i didnt mean specifically in relation to mortgage.

I assume that in the event that you cant work you can have self employed income protection and cover yourself for a set amount?

I dont know, im just curious. It just seems if i were in that situation it seems like a fairly sensible and standard thing to do, yet few seem to have it?

7 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Of course they should. If you are self employed it is reckless if you don’t have other means of income or either put money aside or have insurance to cover any loss of earnings if you are unable to work. How do people expect support their self or/and family if they have any kind of illness or injury, never mind this virus. 

France's smaller local hospitals are being over-run with cases.

France has re-fitted several TGV trains as mobile hospitals, complete with intensive care wards to move patients into larger hospitals.

They're also operating fleets of air force and army helicopters to move patients and spread the load around between hospitals.

53 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Think there is issue over telling a family a person has passed before it is made public so even if not named they are not to be added to the figure until the family know, this may disrupt the daily figure a little  but they would be added as soon as cleared to do so.

But is this new ? If it isn’t then it’s not really relevant to the daily figures we’ve been getting as this would have always been the case. 

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The government experts have said they wont be available for some time yet.    They have zero data on the accuracy rate for them.    The ones coming in will all be used for front line workers to first of all benefit the return to work / remain at work situation with the secondary purpose to get crucial data on the tests.

They were quite categoric that these tests will not see the light of day if they're not happy with the accuracy rate.    My guess is that they would want a very high accuracy to consider a wide roll out.    They spoke about the dangers of false positive and false negative testing going on.     My guess would be the accuracy having to be extremely high.    Inaccuracy as little as 1 or 2 per 1000.

Thanks.

But a guy was on 5L saying they would be.  I'll need to check again.

Just now, DETTY29 said:

Thanks.

But a guy was on 5L saying they would be.  I'll need to check again.

Whitty and Vallance spoke on the subject at the briefing.    Very clear language to suggest they wont be releasing a bad test.      The mood music was that they're placing a lot of importance on verifying it's effectiveness.

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just heard a New York doctor on Sky News say that, this is much worse than 9/11, we were open and waiting on patients who never came, now..............they just keep on coming.

He also added that not to kid yourself that it's only old people, it's all ages who are getting this.

Did people really think it was only old people who got this?

If they did then they're fools.

1 hour ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

My sister is looking at taking kids to Disney for Christmas to forget this year, just daft in my view even though she is not going to book anything for months I just say forget this year and save.

Thats it for me, just write this year off save your cash and have a trip when we know it’s safe to do so.

58 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’d add that there should be a global agreement that any country which is the start of a new virus should be effectively closed immediately. Borders have been closed far too late and we must learn from this. 

I agree, 1 case reported and it’s border shut immediately.

43 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

And quite rightly so imo why should countries put their citizens at risk so someone can have a jolly. 

Lets just get through this and learn lessons from it.

Edited by Rudy T

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Coronavirus: 'Hell' at New York's COVID-19 ground zero

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, The Roller said:

… or if you lose your bet you will expect to be bailed out by others 

Dysons 10,000 new ventilators.

Last week Boris was urged by the EU the join the EU ventilator procurement scheme to pull resources with the other EU countries to obtain supplies of tried and tested ventilators ASAP.  This was seen as a test of whether Boris would stick to his Brexit philosophy or put the countries needs first.

Instead he has only now ordered 10,000 ventilators from Dyson. These ventilators require design approval before they can be built. Not only do they have to be built from scratch, they then have to be tried and tested and approved for use before they can be given to the NHS. With the peak of infection forecast to be 2-3 weeks away,  they won’t be available.

Mr Dyson is a Boris fan and a Brexiteer. Coincidence ?

The guy has no shame.

Let’s get Coronavirus done !

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Did people really think it was only old people who got this?

If they did then they're fools.

I don't think anyone did ever say this. But old people are far more likely to be seriously ill  and die if they get it.

The emphasis on protecting old people was understandable in the context of protecting the NHS but I think the message confused many into thinking young people were more immune to getting it.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Dysons 10,000 new ventilators.

Last week Boris was urged by the EU the join the EU ventilator procurement scheme to pull resources with the other EU countries to obtain supplies of tried and tested ventilators ASAP.  This was seen as a test of whether Boris would stick to his Brexit philosophy or put the countries needs first.

Instead he has only now ordered 10,000 ventilators from Dyson. These ventilators require design approval before they can be built. Not only do they have to be built from scratch, they then have to be tried and tested and approved for use before they can be given to the NHS. With the peak of infection forecast to be 2-3 weeks away,  they won’t be available.

Mr Dyson is a Boris fan and a Brexiteer. Coincidence ?

The guy has no shame.

Let’s get Coronavirus done !

How is the EU procurement scheme going?

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

How is the EU procurement scheme going?

Going full pelt to source and buy tried, tested and certified ventilators that are ready to use immediately.

I really cannot see a downside to joining.

Private companies could still attempt to manufacture their own models in parallel.

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That was because few people in the twin towers survived and needed medical treatment.

Anybody can contract it, the elderly are more susceptible to suffering incapacitating symptoms but that's the same for everything. The elderly are more susceptible to serious symptoms of a common cold or even just falling down.

Without a doubt more elderly than young are going to die due to this epidemic just as they do with anything else. But it's becoming ever clearer youth or good health is not going to be a guarantee of safety.

I 'm watching news coming out of New York. I feel we're far more likely to get a better idea of the truth from them. Certainly a lot more reliable than China. But currently there is no good news coming out of New York.

New York doctor: 9/11 was nothing compared to this

Coronavirus: 'Hell' at New York's COVID-19 ground zero

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

I hope every single one of these gigantic floating petri dishes gets scuttled. By turning them into man-made reefs we'll be giving the natural world something back, instead of take, take, take.

I await the inevitable blast furnace flames heading in my direction...... 

I have always said I’d never go on a cruise, even if I won one.  Even apart from this crisis, they are floating bio hazards, one gets the shits....everyone gets the shits........ not for me thanks.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Sirudi said:

Going full pelt to source and buy tried, tested and certified ventilators that are ready to use immediately.

I really cannot see a downside to joining.

Private companies could still attempt to manufacture their own models in parallel.

I suppose one downside might be that the UK pooled its resources but others didn't. Maybe cynical but I can't see Macron for example releasing any French ventilators any time soon.

Dr Antonio Pesenti, the head of Lombardy's intensive crisis care unit, said many younger people were being admitted to hospital with severe cases of the coronavirus.

"50% of our patients in the intensive care unit, which are the most severe patients, are over 65 years old," he said.

"But that means that the other 50% of our patients are younger than 65.

"We have patients who are 20 years old or 30 years old, quite a few, and those are severe like the old ones."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italian-doctors-warn-covid-19-can-make-young-people-seriously-ill-11961000

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I suppose one downside might be that the UK pooled its resources but others didn't. Maybe cynical but I can't see Macron for example releasing any French ventilators any time soon.

An existing manufacturer of ventilators in the UK on news night last night, saying he told the government weeks ago he could upscale his production. But has heard nothing back.

He says it doesn’t make sense to start from a new source of untested Dyson products, when you could upscale existing UK facilities.

Boris obviously disagrees.

His whole approach to this crisis has been to put the economy and his Tory pals first.

As Cummings said, so what if a few pensioners die.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

If we all take our holiday somewhere in the UK later in the year (all things going well) then we get a wee break and, the tourist industry/economy gets a wee boost.

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

An existing manufacturer of ventilators in the UK on news night last night, saying he told the government weeks ago he could upscale his production. But has heard nothing back.

He says it doesn’t make sense to start from a new source of untested Dyson products, when you could upscale existing UK facilities.

Boris obviously disagrees.

His whole approach to this crisis has been to put the economy and his Tory pals first.

As Cummings said, so what if a few pensioners die.

OK. I see where you are coming from.

3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

If we all take our holiday somewhere in the UK later in the year (all things going well) then we get a wee break and, the tourist industry/economy gets a wee boost.

I think that’s a good idea. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic