Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, kila said:

Once the antibody tests are in full swing, those who recovered and apparently immune will be cited no doubt. I would be fine with that.

I want a badge and a certificate 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for replying, James. A few answers:

. You don't need to obsessively clean within your house. Assume that it is a virus-free zone because unless you're very very unlucky then it is just that. Simply make sure that you sanitise yourself and anything else you haven't seen before that comes into the house (and even then, a wipe with anti-bacterial wipes for objects should do the trick; a good hand-washing/anti-bacterial gel for yourself).

. You can (so far, anyway) go out and have a walk. Do so, but just stay away from other folk.

. Take care of yourself. We're all in this together. Come on here if you're getting stressed (I did start a thread for those who were self-isolating a wee while back but it didn't take hold - post in that if you want).

. Are you ok for food and medical supplies?

. Don't look at worst case scenarios. I honestly believe that we'll be out of this within 2-3 months, with only pockets remaining around the world. I could be entirely wrong, but it does no good to worry about the worst that might happen. We can only change our immediate environment, we just have to get on with it.

. Filter out the crap on social media, particularly the scare-mongering rubbish, because there is *loads* of it. Yes, even here on JKB. :)

. I'm fairly certain that we will have a vaccine by the end of the year, if not sooner. We don't really know about reinfections yet, but it is just as likely that the coronavirus mutates to a less virulent form or one with less payload.

. I know that this may not be easy for you, but try to turn negative into positive and teach yourself something new while you're isolated, or get something done that you've been meaning to do for ages. An opportunity for personal growth.

Red

Super post Red, cheers mate.

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for replying, James. A few answers:

. You don't need to obsessively clean within your house. Assume that it is a virus-free zone because unless you're very very unlucky then it is just that. Simply make sure that you sanitise yourself and anything else you haven't seen before that comes into the house (and even then, a wipe with anti-bacterial wipes for objects should do the trick; a good hand-washing/anti-bacterial gel for yourself).

. You can (so far, anyway) go out and have a walk. Do so, but just stay away from other folk.

. Take care of yourself. We're all in this together. Come on here if you're getting stressed (I did start a thread for those who were self-isolating a wee while back but it didn't take hold - post in that if you want).

. Are you ok for food and medical supplies?

. Don't look at worst case scenarios. I honestly believe that we'll be out of this within 2-3 months, with only pockets remaining around the world. I could be entirely wrong, but it does no good to worry about the worst that might happen. We can only change our immediate environment, we just have to get on with it.

. Filter out the crap on social media, particularly the scare-mongering rubbish, because there is *loads* of it. Yes, even here on JKB. :)

. I'm fairly certain that we will have a vaccine by the end of the year, if not sooner. We don't really know about reinfections yet, but it is just as likely that the coronavirus mutates to a less virulent form or one with less payload.

. I know that this may not be easy for you, but try to turn negative into positive and teach yourself something new while you're isolated, or get something done that you've been meaning to do for ages. An opportunity for personal growth.

Red

Thank you very much for your help. Ill try and locate the topic about self isolation. Yes my mindfullness head tries to live in the present as we cannot do a thing about the future or the past but this event is so unusual.  Yeah i am filtering out the " door merchants" .  They dont help. Im actually thinking of learning French again as I was not too bad at it years ago but its now more " allo allo" type now :) Once again thank you for the informative and supportive response.  I have enough food and medicines.  Suppose one positive is that i havent joined the panic buyers so thats evidences Im more level headed about this situation than im giving myself credit for. I am also working from home which will take my mind of things.  

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, heartandsoul said:

Good post mate. The forum is helping me as well.

Thank you. Hope it has helped .

Jambof3tornado
8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

All McDonalds closing from tomorrow.

Juniors mate just found out on social media and he works for mcDs. 

Shit just got real!!

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thank you very much for your help. Ill try and locate the topic about self isolation. Yes my mindfullness head tries to live in the present as we cannot do a thing about the future or the past but this event is so unusual.  Yeah i am filtering out the " door merchants" .  They dont help. Im actually thinking of learning French again as I was not too bad at it years ago but its now more " allo allo" type now :) Once again thank you for the informative and supportive response.  I have enough food and medicines.  Suppose one positive is that i havent joined the panic buyers so thats evidences Im more level headed about this situation than im giving myself credit for. I am also working from home which will take my mind of things.  

Super. J'attends avec impatience notre conversation en français dans deux ou trois mois. ;)

11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Hopefully that means folk will ease off on the toilet roll hoarding

On a more serious note, all staff on full pay..?

Ventilator production + hopeful advances in treatments + antibody testing.    A combination of all these is my hope of a game changing landscape to diverge the reality from the predicted path.    Not a vaccine.    You would be as well to forget that because every scientist is confirming the likely timescale as 12 months bare minimum or more likely 24 months.    As Mike Ryan said,    you have to be very,  very,  very careful not to roll out a bad vaccine.     Since this one would effectively be rolled out to the entire human race,   if it went wrong as others have,    this current emergency could,   in theory,   be academic.    Click the 'new game' button Mother Nature because this one is over.

A vaccine is for a post-emergency landscape.  The emergency has to be dealt with without one.    But the other stuff provides enough hope.

It remains the case that the biggest difference between the UK and countries so far successful in containing the virus including Taiwan and Hong Kong, is not testing people and not identifying, testing and quarantineing all contacts of those found to have the virus. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Super. J'attends avec impatience notre conversation en français dans deux ou trois mois. ;)

lol ill try and translate that without googling...

I await with impatience another conversation in french in 10 or 12 30 months??? 

Listening to the health professional in the 5ish statement she said we should not compare ourself with Italy, no idea why but she did not draw any comparison I don't think.

Just now, JamesM48 said:

lol ill try and translate that without googling...

I await with impatience another conversation in french in 10 or 12 30 months??? 

Close. The French don't (if they'll forgive me saying) have a nice expression to say "I look forward to" - "I await with impatience", literally translated, is one of their ways of saying it.

So: I look forward to our conversation in French in 2 or 3 months' time. :)

Bindy Badgy
3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Sending out letters asking folk to stay at home. Extreme steps being taken here. 

Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Close. The French don't (if they'll forgive me saying) have a nice expression to say "I look forward to" - "I await with impatience", literally translated, is one of their ways of saying it.

So: I look forward to our conversation in French in 2 or 3 months' time. :)

tres bien 

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ventilator production + hopeful advances in treatments + antibody testing.    A combination of all these is my hope of a game changing landscape to diverge the reality from the predicted path.    Not a vaccine.    You would be as well to forget that because every scientist is confirming the likely timescale as 12 months bare minimum or more likely 24 months.    As Mike Ryan said,    you have to be very,  very,  very careful not to roll out a bad vaccine.     Since this one would effectively be rolled out to the entire human race,   if it went wrong as others have,    this current emergency could,   in theory,   be academic.    Click the 'new game' button Mother Nature because this one is over.

A vaccine is for a post-emergency landscape.  The emergency has to be dealt with without one.    But the other stuff provides enough hope.

12 months from that start which was December mate, I agree with everything you have said btw but I am hopeful, and think there will be vaccine by the end of the year.. never before have we had a situation  where every lad on earth is working towards the same outcome at the same time.

they will skip a round of testing and do more in parallel testing.. 

I don’t think the world can afford not to rush it..

44 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

That should help the obesity crisis if nothing else...

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

That should help the obesity crisis if nothing else...

More room for handwashing adverts on tv

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

12 months from that start which was December mate, I agree with everything you have said btw but I am hopeful, and think there will be vaccine by the end of the year.. never before have we had a situation  where every lad on earth is working towards the same outcome at the same time.

Yeah it can't be rushed,   or fast-tracked or corners cut.    The scientists have been quite specific that a mistake with a vaccine requiring a worldwide roll out could,   in theory,   result in creating the unimaginable.

I'm not sure that mass resource,  parallel work,  etc does change the timescale much.    I hope it does but I haven't seen any firm info to underpin that.    But I reckon it's academic because the emergency right now has to be managed over the next few months.    We know there will be no vaccine before then.    

I do wonder if there is an underlying strategy to our seemingly reactive,   day-to-day approach.     It seems to me there is.     They're never going to make public the civil contingency stuff until they're absolutely ready to move.    I'm of the opinion that they will incur the economic damage that a major lockdown will bring.    They'll need to.    My main concern is our ability to enforce which will probably necessitate a rotational or hotspot led programme of controls.

52 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

What time will it be shut?

In McDonald's statement, they revealed all stores will be closed by 7pm on Monday, March 23.

The fast food company said: "This is not a decision we are taking lightly, but one made with the well-being and safety of our employees in mind as well as in the best interests of our customers.

"We will work with local community groups to responsibly distribute food and drink from our restaurants in the coming days."

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The same effort was given to the SARS vaccine.  Only, that vaccine made the condition 10x worse.  Lets be realistic, say you are correct, it will be given to a select few front line medics, then onto the majority before given to the remaining healthcare professionals (dentists etc).  After that, government officials and those with money, then those deemed most at risk. Then it will be given to those with lower risks, but risks all the same, young people with asthma etc.  Months after that it will be given to us plebs. You're looking at 18-24 months at least.

Vaccines need a wait and see period and that's after animal testing. That period is usually around 8 months. That is the main hold up.  I mean, like the SARS vaccine, they could potentially turn a 1-3% (SARS was around 10% i think) morbidity virus into a 80% morbidity ticking time bomb

Has anyone seen all those military tanks just on the outskirts of Livingston?  Just beyond where Pets at Homes, Dreams beds etc are?

Edited by BlackJAC?

1 hour ago, kila said:

Hopefully that means folk will ease off on the toilet roll hoarding

On a more serious note, all staff on full pay..?

The chain did not say whether its staff would continue to be paid.

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The chain did not say whether its staff would continue to be paid.

So probably not. That's pretty shite, I don't really know how McDonald's works because it's all 'franchises' isn't it? The power of social media might help though, it did with the Aviemore hotel after public backlash (I don't believe their bullshit admin error story).

31 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Has anyone seen all those military tanks just on the outskirts of Livingston?  Just beyond where Pets at Homes, Dreams beds etc are?

Army called in to help organise food deliveries to homes as up to 1.5MILLION people at highest risk to coronavirus are sent letters telling them to stay in their homes for THREE MONTHS

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/army-called-in-to-help-organise-food-deliveries-to-homes-as-up-to-15million-people-at-highest-risk-to-coronavirus-are-sent-letters-telling-them-to-stay-in-their-homes-for-three-months/ar-BB11xJzJ?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=spartandhp

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Army called in to help organise food deliveries to homes as up to 1.5MILLION people at highest risk to coronavirus are sent letters telling them to stay in their homes for THREE MONTHS

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/army-called-in-to-help-organise-food-deliveries-to-homes-as-up-to-15million-people-at-highest-risk-to-coronavirus-are-sent-letters-telling-them-to-stay-in-their-homes-for-three-months/ar-BB11xJzJ?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=spartandhp

Would you need a panzer for that?

The latest recovery comes after doctors announced a 79-year-old Italian man, from Liguria, with the virus had recovered with the help of an experimental Ebola drug after 12 days in hospital.      

The drug also showed success in a critically-ill woman in the US and 14 Americans who tested positive for the coronavirus after catching it on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. 

Hmm 🤔😉 

17 minutes ago, kila said:

Food delivery by tank? Well that's something I would like to see.

it is quick, they just fire the food through your window from a few miles away

The general publics actions today has put my anxiety through the roof.  This is going to be an absolute disaster zone in a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

it is quick, they just fire the food through your window from a few miles away

Only potatoes they'll offer will be mashed in that case

36 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. A further reason to practice good social distancing. 

The Old Tolbooth
42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

This is brilliantly explained and I’ve shared the shit out of it, more people should do the same 

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

More equipment would be a good start, would it not. The SNP and Tories will rightfully get their baws kicked for neglecting The health service(Not investment wise). 

I'm not trying to be prick, but other things need to be done, bud.

The thing is, routinely you dont need 15,000 ventilators, so a government spending so much on them would be slated. Its a fine balancing act to have the right number of beds available etc without being wasteful.

Lessons will be learned from this but lets just get through it first.

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

The thing is, routinely you dont need 15,000 ventilators, so a government spending so much on them would be slated. Its a fine balancing act to have the right number of beds available etc without being wasteful.

Lessons will be learned from this but lets just get through it first.

Agreed but info currently available clearly stating that 3 different govt reviews of disaster planning for this scenario over the last 10 years or so showed they were WAY short.  So ,they knew NHS was nowhere near sufficient numbers , they knew the likelihood of the need for a massive increase in need for ventilators and then did nothing.  They didn't even consider HOW these were going to be procured/manufactured. 

Jambof3tornado
10 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Agreed but info currently available clearly stating that 3 different govt reviews of disaster planning for this scenario over the last 10 years or so showed they were WAY short.  So ,they knew NHS was nowhere near sufficient numbers , they knew the likelihood of the need for a massive increase in need for ventilators and then did nothing.  They didn't even consider HOW these were going to be procured/manufactured. 

Have you a source for that, really interested.

Tuco Salamanca

Macdonalds deem it correct to protect thier staff... Good on them what if food retailers felt the same way as this will put more pressure on the likes of Asda etc 

6 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

The entire West watched a nightmare scenario play out in front of their very eyes, every single country chose to do nothing.  They assumed it was gonna be another SARS.  Whilst frightening, it will extinguish itself before anyone barely notices it like it did with both SARS and MERS. 

Makes you wonder what all these "scientists" were actually doing.  I mean, any virologist or infectious disease specialist worth their salt must have known this was a lot different.  That here it was, the once in a lifetime pandemic.  Rather than do shit about it, most of these people along with governments only appeared why it started to affect the economy.

That is the difference between S Korea/Hong Kong and us in the West, SK and HK learned harsh lessons from the SARS outbreak, the West didn't.  They didn't need to.  It didn't affect us. I do happen to think we will learn a lesson from this just as SK and HK did last time out.  This level of ineptness won't be witnessed again at least in some of the richest countries.

Believe it or not, I actually think some African Countries will deal with this better than us.  They have recent experience with Ebola and other things.

Central Belt 1874
4 hours ago, kila said:

I was due to be on jury duty tomorrow at the High Court in Edinburgh and just rang the number but says they're cancelled. I was half expecting that, but curious what happens to the pending criminal trials? Unprecedented territory but will be quite a back log should this go on for months and months.

Just seen this.

It is likely that each trial will be adjourned until a later date. Depending on how this virus progresses in the coming weeks this may happen a number of times I would imagine. 

I now have a persistent dry cough which according to advice means I have to self isolate for 7 days and my wife and kid for 14. Hopefully just a cough. 

Not sure how to get food in. Are you allowed to go to the shops?

4 minutes ago, MrBones said:

I now have a persistent dry cough which according to advice means I have to self isolate for 7 days and my wife and kid for 14. Hopefully just a cough. 

Not sure how to get food in. Are you allowed to go to the shops?

See here.

If you have symptoms you cant leave the house.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Need to shop online or get a friend neighbour to help out.  And they would need to leave at the door.

Then do all usual cleaning hand washing etc.

I've ordered Hello Fresh. At least we will get food! Hopefully just a cough but also worried this is the start of the rising number of cases where it might be more unusual to not have it soon

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic