Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, hughesie27 said:

We aren't in lockdown yet and going a walk in an open park is perfectly fine just now. In an actual lockdown like the seen in Italy you wouldn't be able to do that though.

In which case I would struggle. As in mentally. I go to the gym 4 times a week and usually play fives at least once a week. Usually walk too and back from the gym which is about 40mins all in. And me and my family enjoy walks in the wildlife etc. I would worry about my wellbeing in that case.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

My work has still been open up until this point and my kids were in school until yesterday. We are planning a walk tomorrow around Falkland just the 4 of us. 

Are people genuinely suggesting that we spend 3 months indoors? As in like prison? 

Serious question btw. Is this what folk mean by "lockdown"?

Because if so, there will be huge problems after this of mental health, possible suicide rate soaring, then you will get people who then abuse alcohol and drugs after it when they finally can go out etc. 

No chance im staying in for months. None.

Exactly. I've been on the beach with the dog and there are loads of people but everyone is keeping well apart.

I don't see the point in locking everyone up in their houses as long as we keep social distancing 

13 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

My work has still been open up until this point and my kids were in school until yesterday. We are planning a walk tomorrow around Falkland just the 4 of us. 

Are people genuinely suggesting that we spend 3 months indoors? As in like prison? 

Because if so, there will be huge problems after this of mental health, possible suicide rate soaring, then you will get people who then abuse alcohol and drugs after it when they finally can go out etc. 

What is being said is the virus transfers through contact between people.

And the virus will kill a lot of people. 

Ibrahim Tall
10 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

In which case I would struggle. As in mentally. I go to the gym 4 times a week and usually play fives at least once a week. Usually walk too and back from the gym which is about 40mins all in. And me and my family enjoy walks in the wildlife etc. I would worry about my wellbeing in that case.

Apologies for being blunt would you rather be ill or have it on your conscience that you’ve got someone else ill or dead? From my own view the latter would **** me up far more mentally than a relatively short time indoors will.

Previous generations have been thrown into war zones etc in the defence of those at back home, all anyone is being as here(eventually) is to stay at home for a month or two. It’s shit but it’s hardly the greatest sacrifice in history.

Exercise is still perfectly possible (and advisable) at home without even leaving the house or garden.

kingantti1874
23 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

that is exactly what is required, it is exactly what has been implemented in China and I Europe.. I expect it to come, and if we follow the lead of the continent which we must to save lives then there will be heavy punishments for those who break it..

this will be the hardest year of most of our lives.. 

Lockdown doesn't mean house arrest

You can still go out for a number of permitted reasons.

You just can't mill about in large numbers in public.

Lockdown might help people develop a little more mental fortitude. Nobody wants to be stuck inside but it's hardly the worst thing in the world.

10 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Apologies for being blunt would you rather be ill or have it on your conscience that you’ve got someone else ill or dead? From my own view the latter would **** me up far more mentally than a relatively short time indoors will.

Previous generations have been thrown into war zones etc in the defence of those at back home, all anyone is being as here(eventually) is to stay at home for a month or two. It’s shit but it’s hardly the greatest sacrifice in history.

Exercise is still perfectly possible (and advisable) at home without even leaving the house or garden.

It isn't a relatively short period of time though if it is 3 months? And I am never in the company of elderly people. Elderly people have been told to stay indoors so am I to feel guilty of passing a cough on through a third party or fourth party? 

I know it sounds selfish and will sound selfish to folk on here. I have seen people calling for lockdown now so I understand they will feel like it is unreasonable to go out. 

But I can't imagine a whole country sat inside their houses doing absolutely nothing. That will change people. 

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Lockdown might help people develop a little more mental fortitude. Nobody wants to be stuck inside but it's hardly the worst thing in the world.

depending upon how long it is, it could be for people who live alone. 

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Nothing to do with mental fortitude. It is a desire to do. 

Not sure if it was a dig at my post but I can assure you mental fortitude and robustness is not something I lack.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

depending upon how long it is, it could be for people who live alone. 

I live alone. I don't predict it will be fun but work, books, exercise, gaming, films, music, video calls and other hobbies will pass the time. Sure, much more than 3 months and I can see how it could be pretty from but still far from being the worst thing in the world.

2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Was speaking to a norwegian today. They think we are nuts. They have been locked down for about 3 weeks. We are so far behind curve its unreal.  Cant believe weve not took heed from italy etc. Its about to get worse before it gets better

See beaches down south and up in the highlands its been heavin. Everyone out enjoying their "coronavirus bank holiday"

We need lockdown to spell it out for the numpties. Too many selfish and stupid people out there

Given they only went into lockdown on the 12th of March I doubt your story

Once more the internet allows all sorts of claims to be made not backed up with facts

Ibrahim Tall
6 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

It isn't a relatively short period of time though if it is 3 months? And I am never in the company of elderly people. Elderly people have been told to stay indoors so am I to feel guilty of passing a cough on through a third party or fourth party? 

I know it sounds selfish and will sound selfish to folk on here. I have seen people calling for lockdown now so I understand they will feel like it is unreasonable to go out. 

But I can't imagine a whole country sat inside their houses doing absolutely nothing. That will change people. 

3 months is around 90 days, the average person lives around 27,000 days in a lifetime. Yes, it is a relatively short period of time.

On the last point ‘doing nothing’ is entirely your choice in that scenario, assuming you weren’t working from home there’s still a million things you could be doing, be that working out, reading, learning a new skill, learning a language etc. You’re not locked in a dark room with no electricity staring a wall 24/7. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I live alone. I don't predict it will be fun but work, books, exercise, gaming, films, music, video calls and other hobbies will pass the time. Sure, much more than 3 months and I can see how it could be pretty from but still far from being the worst thing in the world.

look at the mental health of JKBrs who have posted on the depression thread, for some people like that it could be close to the worst thing in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Nothing to do with mental fortitude. It is a desire to do. 

Not sure if it was a dig at my post but I can assure you mental fortitude and robustness is not something I lack.

It wasn't a dig at anyone. I just think if people are unable to spend say 3 months at home then they could probably do with the benefits it will bring on their mentality. With all due respect, from your posts on the topic you don't sound like someone who has ample mental fortitude and robustness. Again, I'm genuinely not having a pop, I completely get why people don't like the idea of it but it's really not that big a deal in the wider picture and I think people will be pleasantly surprised by what they learn during it (if it comes to that)

22 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Could you explain how anyone is going to know if they have it or has passed it on ?

If we follow your logic the whole of the population should be held responsible when you or anyone else does not know.

This one size fits all approach is just not one that is going to be enforceable

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

look at the mental health of JKBrs who have posted on the depression thread, for some people like that it could be close to the worst thing in the world. 

If it's even close the worst thing in the world for some people then they should really count themselves lucky. That's coming from someone who's posted quite regularly on that thread. I mean, the alternative is surely vastly worse... perpetual coronavirus and exponential increases in deaths whilst the economy and the health of the country collapse? That sounds worse to me than a warm home, food and water, a bed, probably internet and a tv; if that's the worst of the two options then people need to reassess their thought process 

If the UK was to pull the finger out and start mass testing, we could track the spread of the disease and see what effect lockdowns are having.

We could then work out where and how fast to relax the measures.

Instead of testing, we're simply watching the casualty figures and reacting to them, which is stupid due to the two week incubation period.

We're still constantly two weeks behind because the government and the people refuse to take the correct actions to bring about the quick end of this crisis.

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It wasn't a dig at anyone. I just think if people are unable to spend say 3 months at home then they could probably do with the benefits it will bring on their mentality. With all due respect, from your posts on the topic you don't sound like someone who has ample mental fortitude and robustness. Again, I'm genuinely not having a pop, I completely get why people don't like the idea of it but it's really not that big a deal in the wider picture and I think people will be pleasantly surprised by what they learn during it (if it comes to that)

What a load of rubbish

You are having a pop and a pretty terrible one at that

Acting as if you are some sort of mental health guru for the world when you have no idea at all...so do what you want to do but stop posting nonsense about being pleasantly surprised by what they learn when you have no idea of the circumstances individuals face...all this with all due respect of course

Ibrahim Tall
Just now, CJGJ said:

Could you explain how anyone is going to know if they have it or has passed it on ?

If we follow your logic the whole of the population should be held responsible when you or anyone else does not know.

This one size fits all approach is just not one that is going to be enforceable

Could you explain how anyone is going to know they haven’t? I’m not talking about legal ‘guilt’, if I had/have it and someone I’ve met while or after breaking an order to stay indoors then contracts it and dies - I’m not sure that’s something I could live with that.

Theres a possibility that person could have got it elsewhere yes but **** having that ‘what if?’ In the back of your head,

Just now, CJGJ said:

What a load of rubbish

You are having a pop and a pretty terrible one at that

Acting as if you are some sort of mental health guru for the world when you have no idea at all...so do what you want to do but stop posting nonsense about being pleasantly surprised by what they learn when you have no idea of the circumstances individuals face...all this with all due respect of course

Okay, well you enjoy spreading a virus around that kills people because you lacked the ability to entertain yourself indoors for a few months. People all over the country spend months on end indoors for a variety of reasons and guess what, it's not the end of the world.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

If the UK was to pull the finger out and start mass testing, we could track the spread of the disease and see what effect lockdowns are having.

We could then work out where and how to relax the measures.

Instead of testing, we're simply watching the casualty figure and reacting to them, which is stupid due to the two week incubation period.

We're still constantly two weeks behind because the government and the people refuse to take the correct actions to bring about the quick end of this crisis.

I think the government will have to do a full lockdown and have a pretty severe stick for those flouting it in terms of fines and/or jail.

I haven't been out and about beyond the supermarket  since being made to work from home last week so can't judge how bad that is.

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think the government will have to do a full lockdown and have a pretty severe stick for those flouting it in terms of fines and/or jail.

I haven't been out and about beyond the supermarket  since being made to work from home last week so can't judge how bad that is.

I was a bit bored today and went for a drive around edinburgh, from what I seen it will take a compulsory lockdown before some halfwits take any notice. And I know I was out.

heartstastic
24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Okay, well you enjoy spreading a virus around that kills people because you lacked the ability to entertain yourself indoors for a few months. People all over the country spend months on end indoors for a variety of reasons and guess what, it's not the end of the world.

If i go to the supermarket while on lockdown for supplies, and pass it on then if i have it but am unaware that i do...what then?

Dagger Is Back
10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Very well done sir. That shows a lot of true grit and gumption in a tough situation. I’ve been deemed to be a ‘key worker’ so I’m continuing to work in the office as normal with all due precautions. Several of my colleagues are working from home due to previous health issues so we’re spreading apart, leaving empty desks between occupied ones. Enforced working from home may soon come though - it’s under review.

There have so far been only 2 confirmed cases in Swindon. Swindon attracts few tourists, which has given it some degree of protection! However, I live in a wee village across the border in Oxfordshire and many of my neighbours are European postgraduate students who regularly visit their families. I Oxfordshire has had far more cases, especially in Oxford itself with 2 big universities.

To be honest good buddy not a difficult decision to make when your household income is £700pm

Key employee? I hope the suits remember that when it cones to your annual appraisal.

Stay safe buddy

10 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

If i go to the supermarket while on lockdown for supplies, and pass it on then if i have it but am unaware that i do...what then?

Then it's very unfortunate for those you pass it on to. There are plenty of good reasons (the above included) for still going out during a lock down and I'm sure they will be accounted for should it come to that.

I've obviously ruffled some feathers for not seeing staying in your house as the worst thing in the world and suggesting those who struggle with idea may benefit from it. Sorry for that but I just can't fathom that people think it's worse than the alternative.

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I’ve been out working right throughout the night for the last three days and the only folk that you see are joggers (loads) and groups of young kids roaming around thinking it’s a school holiday.

luckyBatistuta

Wow, 4,000 ex hospital staff volunteers in 48 hours. Puts a wee lump in your throat that. Whilst some folk are just wandering around not giving a shit about anybody but themselves, these men and women are stepping up and risking their own health for the well being of others. If there are any of you on here, I sincerely thank you❤️

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

To be honest good buddy not a difficult decision to make when your household income is £700pm

Key employee? I hope the suits remember that when it cones to your annual appraisal.

Stay safe buddy

Doing my best matey and in current extraordinary circumstances, I'm a helluva lot luckier than many. As for the key employee bit, I don't expect an extra cent out of those bleeps. Nor indeed any thanks. I refuse to kiss bums regardless of reward. Unfortunately that's what they seem to want and I can't lower myself to that.

You stay safe too. I fear that it's going to be a very long time before we can watch any football in the flesh again. And large scale live music is a goner for the rest of 2020 I think.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Wow, 4,000 ex hospital staff volunteers in 48 hours. Puts a wee lump in your throat that. Whilst some folk are just wandering around not giving a shit about anybody but themselves, these men and women are stepping up and risking their own health for the well being of others. If there are any of you on here, I sincerely thank you❤️

Here here ! 

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Please stop arguing with each other. 

About our situation, the one all alive human beings face, we are all going to have to do it.

Please, please, scale back arguing. 

Good post, and apologies, it was my fault the recent kerfuffle.

Pretty clear this is going to be world changing. When we come out the other side which I doubt is likely to be anytime soon our world will never be the same again. Now isn't the right time but in the aftermath the unpreparedness has to be questioned.

I always knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later though i'm still stunned that it's happening in my lifetime. I always knew it was going to happen because the scientists always said it was going to happen. Yet here we are, entirely unprepared for a catastrophe we always knew was going to happen.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Pretty clear this is going to be world changing. When we come out the other side which I doubt is likely to be anytime soon our world will never be the same again. Now isn't the right time but in the aftermath the unpreparedness has to be questioned.

I always knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later though i'm still stunned that it's happening in my lifetime. I always knew it was going to happen because the scientists always said it was going to happen. Yet here we are, entirely unprepared for a catastrophe we always knew was going to happen.

It will definitely change, for the better as far as I can see.

2 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

And came out with widespread ptsd. 

But people are so weak mentally these days eh.... 

Walter Bishop
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

When we find out what happened it will be even more heartbreaking.

I'll wager the source of Italy will be people from China and / or Iran who travelled before their countries took this seriously. 

17 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Globally, this situation, will need to last years, surely.

We are hoping there will be a scientific solution. 

I feel it's going to be a minimum 2 years in which a lot of people will die before we are at a point where we can say this is the end. But keep in mind that end may not be an eradication of the virus.

There is a very good chance this virus will prove to be endemic, meaning it's always going to be there, like flu. Even when/if a vaccine is produced which will take at least 12 to 18 months to be widely available the end result may be that we just have to live with this virus. And it's fatality rate.

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

👍👍👍

6 hours ago, Dazo said:

Criticising the government without political bias ? Jesus come on. I think this government like any would has done amazingly well.  We have real problem in this country where we expect the government to wipe our arse for us. People expect, zero self responsibility. 

What a load of shite. And for political bias see the post with thumbs above.

I take it you both vote Tory, Brexit and love Boris.

Here, have another 👎

Edited by ri Alban

4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

You Scottish Nationalists can't even see it coming, can you.

Shut up Zlat, this threads been really good and then people like you and the posts I've quoted just can't help themselves. No one has heavily criticised the government, yet you...

So if you want to go back to talking to yourself on the Indy and salmond thread , away you go.

I'll keep reading the sensible posters and maybe chip in now and then.

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Given they only went into lockdown on the 12th of March I doubt your story

Once more the internet allows all sorts of claims to be made not backed up with facts

Only going by them passing comment on their family at home. Im not there to bust their chops whether it was 10 or 15 days

However while you are splitting hairs over a few days youve entirely missed the point. I dont doubt other nations are taking it far more seriously.

Only passing on a first hand comment.

Edited by Alan_R

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

@ri Alban you said this ' I take it you both vote Tory, Brexit and love Boris.' 

I am responding to that. 

You bring your things into the conversation about Coronavirus. So don't get at me for calling you out. 

I was highlighting their Hypocrisy. But point taken. I won't be replying to you, unless it's Coronavirus related. Keep safe 👍

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

When we find out what happened it will be even more heartbreaking.

I'll wager the source of Italy will be people from China and / or Iran who travelled before their countries took this seriously. 

It was almost certainly the china to italy connection .

This article from 2014 waaaaay before any of this gives a wee glimpse into one of the many chinese factories in italy https://ww.fashionnetwork.com/news/made-in-italy-by-chinese-workers,377237.html

Chinese goods and factory workers have been manufacturing our 'made in italy' designed goods  for years.

8 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

It was almost certainly the china to italy connection .

This article from 2014 waaaaay before any of this gives a wee glimpse into one of the many chinese factories in italy https://ww.fashionnetwork.com/news/made-in-italy-by-chinese-workers,377237.html

Chinese goods and factory workers have been manufacturing our 'made in italy' designed goods  for years.

Patient one had no connection what so ever with China. 2 and 3 were Chinese.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Patient one had no connection what so ever with China. 2 and 3 were Chinese.

Ive not looked into it tbh but seems too likely that there is not a connection there with the spread?

10 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Ive not looked into it tbh but seems too likely that there is not a connection there with the spread?

I didn't say that. Just patient one. The pursuing epidemia may well have been. Just thought I'd pass on what I had read. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

@ri Alban you said this ' I take it you both vote Tory, Brexit and love Boris.' 

I am responding to that. 

You bring your things into the conversation about Coronavirus. So don't get at me for calling you out. 

Didn't someone suggest a cessation of arguments? :laugh:

7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

A decision had to be made and for your family and friends the right one but my one issue and not one you are responsible for is after self isolation what is to stop you or your family catching it if you have not been tested and never actually had it ?

We need to test and quickly starting with everyone in the health service on the front line and working out from there.

I completely agree,in fact after two weeks we will carry on in the assumption that it wasn’t Corona.

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

If you judge mental robustness on being able to sit about doing nothing then no I don't. 

If you judge it on passing P Company, having the mental drive to jump out of an aircraft with best part of 100kg strapped to you, completing the 3 UK peaks in 24 hours whilst pretty much driving the whole thing in between, tabbing 27miles carrying about 45kg which took 14 hours then I have plenty. 

I'm just not the type of person that usually sits about, so I'm just saying it would affect me mentally. Reading and stuff isn't really my thing.

Edited by Wham Bam Austin McCann

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic