Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Good to see the lunatics at PETA have a balanced view. 

FF0C02B2-A627-4ED9-A738-1087C5BFB760.jpeg

Impressive how a charity apparently dedicated to protecting animals can make themselves such a hated joke. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ToadKiller Dog
12 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just reported on Sky News that there are now over 150 cases now in Italy and that Venice has closed all museums and the carnival has been cut short.

Yeah basically 50,000 people in lock down in parts of north italy ,nobody allowed out and nobody allowed in.

I'm guessing anybody who has been to north italy and surrounds ,now should  also follow the advice for travellers who have visited Asian listed nations ,same for Iran.

Looks like it may well become a pandemic, hopefully people remain sensible .

11 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Yeah basically 50,000 people in lock down in parts of north italy ,nobody allowed out and nobody allowed in.

I'm guessing anybody who has been to north italy and surrounds ,now should  also follow the advice for travellers who have visited Asian listed nations ,same for Iran.

Now 5 dead in Italy from the virus, you have to remember a week ago there were a handful of cases now over 200+ I'm sure I heard them say on the TV.

A global pandemic seems more and more likely to be declared with each passing day.

People will panic as they always do I'm afraid, just look at the reaction of folks when we get a wee bit of snow here, the shelves are cleared of milk & bread etc etc etc, so I dread to think what will happen if/when Covid-19 strikes here in any large numbers.

A guy I work with was due to go on holiday to New Zealand this week with his flight going through China. So he and his girlfriend cancelled due to having by leave they booked for you guessed it Italy. 

On 23/02/2020 at 03:05, Zlatanable said:

So, what are your thoughts on this now?

I'm still travelling to Japan for three weeks on on 27th April. I fully expect to be allowed to do so and will have a rare time, as always.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Now 5 dead in Italy from the virus, you have to remember a week ago there were a handful of cases now over 200+ I'm sure I heard them say on the TV.

A global pandemic seems more and more likely to be declared with each passing day.

People will panic as they always do I'm afraid, just look at the reaction of folks when we get a wee bit of snow here, the shelves are cleared of milk & bread etc etc etc, so I dread to think what will happen if/when Covid-19 strikes here in any large numbers.

Our Italian HQ in Milan has been closed to all but key staff over the weekend with temperature scanners setup for those that do have to be in the building.

Also my 3 day jolly to paris for a conference next month has been vetoed as all staff travel has been suspended indefinitely.

3 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Just arrived in Florence today from Rome. a lot more people wearing face masks around here , mainly tourists , locals dont seem bothered. As of yesterday there was 6 deaths , I havent seen anything that changes that. News mentioned 89  cases ....in total , I think.  everyone more concerned about train service which is a total shambles today. Severe delays on north nound trains to Milan. Poor Milan.

Shanks said no

Inter Milan v Ludogrets in Europa League expected to be behind closed doors

Which seems to scupper one avenue for us to avoid relegation

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Financial markets going mental off the back of the Coronavirus, today. 

Outside the immediate health concerns there are going to be consequences to this. Asia and Europe look like they’re going to hit on economic front reduction in growth. Companies supply chains breaking and we will see that start impacting individual companies, profitability , confidence etc etc. 

Hopefully, they get this under control and contained but it does seem to be spreading and you would imagine its about to officially become a pandemic very soon.

Unsurprisingly the biggest fallers being airlines & holiday company's, and at the same time as the markets are falling, there has been an upsurge in investors putting their money into Gold, the US dollar & the Swiss Franc, the usual safe havens during turbulent times.

Jaguar Land Rover said last week that their supply line of parts from China was being affected, as are many other companies who are in the same boat, speaking of which, up to last week Maersk alone had cancelled 50 bulk container ship consignments from China, that is one hell of a lot of products not now coming from China, and that's just one shipping line, the longer this goes and if it keeps spreading the more jittery the markets will become.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unsurprisingly the biggest fallers being airlines & holiday company's, and at the same time as the markets are falling, there has been an upsurge in investors putting their money into Gold, the US dollar & the Swiss Franc, the usual safe havens during turbulent times.

Jaguar Land Rover said last week that their supply line of parts from China was being affected, as are many other companies who are in the same boat, speaking of which, up to last week Maersk alone had cancelled 50 bulk container ship consignments from China, that is one hell of a lot of products not now coming from China, and that's just one shipping line, the longer this goes and if it keeps spreading the more jittery the markets will become.

The city at the centre of this is the hub for car parts manufacture for a number of companies. Im sure I've seen Fiat & Peugeot mentioned

Anyone else feeling anxious about this, it’s a bit worrying.

Horrific what’s happening to the people of China with regards to authorities dealing with the infected. 

Edited by JamboSpur

22 hours ago, Tazio said:

Good to see the lunatics at PETA have a balanced view. 

FF0C02B2-A627-4ED9-A738-1087C5BFB760.jpeg

May not fit into PETA’s view of things but if I see a bat, i’m hitting it with a spade.

Caused all this, that and horrendous sanitation....and eating bats...and mad anteaters !

Fingers should be pointed !

AlphonseCapone
56 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Horrific what’s happening to the people of China with regards to authorities dealing with the infected. 

Assuming you're in the UK, there's currently nothing to really worry about. 

1 hour ago, JamboSpur said:

What do you mean by how the authorities are dealing with the infected?

As for being worried, no, maybe once it's here in the UK and in the town where I live then I might start to become concerned, but until then, no worries.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, Boab said:

650,000 !

Keep panic buying though, folks !

:tlj:

Daily Mail acting like bellends again. ‘Virus could kill 80m’.

The Daily Mail deserves to contract Ebola 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

I try not to, but do worry about it spreading here, as my parents both have chest problems already

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Daily Mail acting like bellends again. ‘Virus could kill 80m’.

The Daily Mail deserves to contract Ebola 

It is effective though. The media exposure that is. That doesn’t include that comic though !

An experiment in public control.

Every now and again they need to sharpen up tactics.

Shanks said no
36 minutes ago, Boab said:

650,000 !

Keep panic buying though, folks !

:tlj:

This is what I do not get, if its just another strain of flu, why are they getting so bleeding worried about it?

AlphonseCapone
29 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

This is what I do not get, if its just another strain of flu, why are they getting so bleeding worried about it?

Because it's novel. The flu, though different strains can present in different years, we understand the general make-up of the virus and can attempt to predict what flu vaccine might be most useful in a given year (doesn't always work though).

But for this, we don't yet fully understand how contingious it really is or have a vaccine. It's not going to wipe out humanity and a vaccine will likely come. It's simply fear of the unknown.

Something is going to come along and kill millions upon millions of people at some point. But this isn't it. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Because it's novel. The flu, though different strains can present in different years, we understand the general make-up of the virus and can attempt to predict what flu vaccine might be most useful in a given year (doesn't always work though).

But for this, we don't yet fully understand how contingious it really is or have a vaccine. It's not going to wipe out humanity and a vaccine will likely come. It's simply fear of the unknown.

Something is going to come along and kill millions upon millions of people at some point. But this isn't it. 

Its killing 1 in 50 of those infected vast majority of whom are 75+ and/or had previous health issues so hardly much more threat than present bugs that go around every winter. Add to the fact people are living longer and are in a poorer state of health at the older age with things like heart issues/dementia there are going to be a constant flow of new viruses that have  pardon my term "a large victim pool" to pick from.

Still a worry though as we all no doubt have parents and grandparents that this virus will be a real danger too. My mum is entering 3rd stage dementia which is a vile disease in itself thx to the long drawn out suffering and how it takes from its victims so cruelly, if this bug spreads into UK fully I would have to go stay with her to police her actions, do the shopping etc and without me been sick how will such things be seen by employers as a requirement to take maybe months off is needed.

7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Have you mentioned this to the scientists working round the clock to find a cure? They might be interested in your findings. 

56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m not concerned about me or mine getting CV. 

However, I am a bit concerned about the  wider consequences. of CV. Financial markets going mental, economic downturn, potential travel restrictions, shortages of foods/goods, general panic etc etc. 

In the U.K.we are developed country and should be able to contain/treat without too much problems. The wider consequences I think will hit the U.K. harder than the actual virus itself. 

Gold and US bonds are up !

9 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Absolutely, it's the fear of the unknown which panics people, often without any real justification.

J League will be announcing postponement of all football fixtures until around the end of March. Better get this sorted by end of April, or my trip will be a tad more boring. That's if my flights aren't cancelled as well 😄

Latest advice from UK Chief Medical Officer & the Foreign Office is that, Britons who have been to Northern Italy and are feeling unwell should self-isolate and anybody who has been to any of the affected areas should self-isolate even if they don't have any symptoms.

Hundreds of tourists are being testing at a hotel in Costa Adeje in Tenerife for Covid-19 after a confirmed case of the virus was identified there.

31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hundreds of tourists are being testing at a hotel in Costa Adeje in Tenerife for Covid-19 after a confirmed case of the virus was identified there.

A doctor from northern Italy

Have a slight cold, and some underlying medical issues  Hope to be clear in a day or two, as you want to be in decent health, if you can when this virus really arrives..

Notice the Chinese numbers of new infections are slightly reducing....

I think the major problem with spread in Britain, Europe, USA. Is that folk, unlike in China, etc. Will refuse to follow orders, be bloody minded and do what they want... Potentially coupled with their financial independence, will be difficult to manage....

15 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

A doctor from northern Italy

And this just goes to show how difficult it is to try and to contain this thing.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And this just goes to show how difficult it is to try and to contain this thing.

There are many many viruses that are difficult to contain. Like the flu, which kills more people:

In China, COVID-19 has around 75,000 infected, almost 30,000 fully recovered and around 2,000 deaths.

In the same period,  in the US alone, The Flu has already infected 26,000,000, hospitalised over 250,000 and killed 14,000

I think that's a reasonable comparison and people shouldn't get overly worried. 

11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

There are many many viruses that are difficult to contain. Like the flu, which kills more people:

In China, COVID-19 has around 75,000 infected, almost 30,000 fully recovered and around 2,000 deaths.

In the same period,  in the US alone, The Flu has already infected 26,000,000, hospitalised over 250,000 and killed 14,000

I think that's a reasonable comparison and people shouldn't get overly worried. 

Indeed, flu does kill many more people and that is why I have no real concerns about this virus, unfortunately not everyone is as unconcerned as I am about it.

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, hueyview said:

Have a slight cold, and some underlying medical issues  Hope to be clear in a day or two, as you want to be in decent health, if you can when this virus really arrives..

Notice the Chinese numbers of new infections are slightly reducing....

I think the major problem with spread in Britain, Europe, USA. Is that folk, unlike in China, etc. Will refuse to follow orders, be bloody minded and do what they want... Potentially coupled with their financial independence, will be difficult to manage....

Interesting to see the legal side of this self Isolating for the employee.

Imagine you come back from 10days in Italy Government say self isolate if feeling unwell, how many folk get sniffles on a plane flight any way. So you phone boss on return sorry  but I got take any 14days off.. hmm now my place of work that would mean the next person on holiday is buggered.

What happens to those that need paid with zero savings or debt suddenly 2 more weeks no pay? they just sit at home and get more in debt thx to 24hour central heating been on etc.

53 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, flu does kill many more people and that is why I have no real concerns about this virus, unfortunately not everyone is as unconcerned as I am about it.

It's annoying me as well. People are overreacting, probably due to the way the press report it.

Terms like 'super spreader' used by Sky and 'killer virus' doesn't help the situation at all.

27 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Imagine you come back from 10days in Italy Government say self isolate if feeling unwell, how many folk get sniffles on a plane flight any way. So you phone boss on return sorry  but I got take any 14days off.. hmm now my place of work that would mean the next person on holiday is buggered.

What happens to those that need paid with zero savings or debt suddenly 2 more weeks no pay? they just sit at home and get more in debt thx to 24hour central heating been on etc.

Yes, but most bosses, public and private would not want you anywhere near their pace of work.

I can see local food drop offs, government emergency taking control of electric and gas to avoid as you say, the heating/ lights going out because of folk not paying bills/prepayment metres.

Emergency powers....     Almost like in an 70s nuclear information warning or chemical...

Of course this depends on the severity of effect of day to day living........

5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

It's annoying me as well. People are overreacting, probably due to the way the press report it.

Terms like 'super spreader' used by Sky and 'killer virus' doesn't help the situation at all.

Exactly, lost count of the times I shouted at the TV to stop calling this poor guy a 'super spreader'.

I agree the media is partly to blame, however because it's a new virus and nobody has any immunity to it, people will fear it.

Even although I am in the high risk group, I have not seen anything about this virus which scares me, that might change if it mutates, but until that happens, there are many other things which could kill me ahead of Covid-19.

1 hour ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

I take your point but I'd suggest if you've just been skiing in Lombardy or on a Venice trip you're  likely not on a zero hours contract. The bigger picture is of course a  public health issue if people genuinely cant afford to stop work. Thats milions of people in the UK potentially. 

SkyScanner are taking an absolute financial pummelling, as I'm sure thousands of businesses are - that's from a horses mouth though.

Universities are also in discussions to move the start of their term from September 2020 to January 2021 - another horses mouth.

Mac_fae_Gillie
49 minutes ago, hueyview said:

Yes, but most bosses, public and private would not want you anywhere near their pace of work.

I can see local food drop offs, government emergency taking control of electric and gas to avoid as you say, the heating/ lights going out because of folk not paying bills/prepayment metres.

Emergency powers....     Almost like in an 70s nuclear information warning or chemical...

Of course this depends on the severity of effect of day to day living........

If you had the virus of course no boss wants in work that goes for most flus/bugs as it hits the remaining staff but this is taking off work because the Government said to self Isolate, do you become responsible for no money coming into your household, its hardly your employers fault so why should they pay sick pay, how popular would you be if other peoples holidays are cancelled because of your time off been extended, for "just in case".

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Latest advice from UK Chief Medical Officer & the Foreign Office is that, Britons who have been to Northern Italy and are feeling unwell should self-isolate and anybody who has been to any of the affected areas should self-isolate even if they don't have any symptoms.

The advice relates to specific areas eg it mentions " north of Pisa" but not Pisa.  we were planning to go Pisa this week but may not now.  Wife has asthma issues and while we are not concerned currently it does seem to be creeping south. 

Sexton Hardcastle

OMG I was in Tenerife in 2007. Thoughts with everyone involved

*posts pic of bikini and cocktail in hand to instagram and facebook

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic