Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That's excellent news, JJ - they don't have a 42 bus in my city. No coronavirus for me!

Same here, that's why I said a number 42.  😄

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Same here, that's why I said a number 42.  😄

:D Here's to our mutual healths, JJ! :mj_zivili:

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Here's to our mutual healths, JJ! :mj_zivili:

I'll drink to that. :mj_zivili:

I see there is another cruise ship in quarantine, this time off the coast of Japan, and this time a passenger who left the ship a few days ago has tested positive for the virus.

Got me thinking, I wonder if we'll see any Chinese athlete's at the Olympics, more to the point if this virus isn't brought under control and it's spread halted, will we see the Olympics at all.

I'd guess if things haven't improved by around the end of May, a decision will need to be made whether they go ahead or not.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'll drink to that. :mj_zivili:

I see there is another cruise ship in quarantine, this time off the coast of Japan, and this time a passenger who left the ship a few days ago has tested positive for the virus.

Got me thinking, I wonder if we'll see any Chinese athlete's at the Olympics, more to the point if this virus isn't brought under control and it's spread halted, will we see the Olympics at all.

I'd guess if things haven't improved by around the end of May, a decision will need to be made whether they go ahead or not.

Good point.

I don't know much about these things, but I reckon it will all come down to containment. We have the ability, through travel restrictions and quarantine, to try and contain the spread of the virus. As long as we do this well, and quickly, we starve the virus of the ability to spread. If, instead, it spreads to such an extent that effective containment measures are impossible, then we'll just have to wait until it dies out (and kills a fair number of folk on the way, sadly).

I assume that the epidemiologists have a fair idea of how widespread the virus can be allowed to develop before we lose effective control, and how long it will last if given free rein. If it "breaks out" then we may see much more stringent human interaction restrictions enforced, and that would certainly affect events like the Olympics.

Having just read over my reply above, what I meant to say is that if we can contain the Wuhan coronavirus efficiently then we may be able to actually kill it off quite quickly. With a mortality rate of 2-3%, it is well within our interests to chuck as much money and as many resources as we can at preventing it from breaking out and becoming a truly widespread global epidemic. However, we're going to have to up our game to do this as the first case was in December and we're only just starting to panic about it now.

26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good point.

I don't know much about these things, but I reckon it will all come down to containment. We have the ability, through travel restrictions and quarantine, to try and contain the spread of the virus. As long as we do this well, and quickly, we starve the virus of the ability to spread. If, instead, it spreads to such an extent that effective containment measures are impossible, then we'll just have to wait until it dies out (and kills a fair number of folk on the way, sadly).

I assume that the epidemiologists have a fair idea of how widespread the virus can be allowed to develop before we lose effective control, and how long it will last if given free rein. If it "breaks out" then we may see much more stringent human interaction restrictions enforced, and that would certainly affect events like the Olympics.

If it's still rampant in China I'd doubt the Chinese athlete's will be allowed to travel, more to the point would the Japanese permit them to enter Japan, because it's not just the athlete's it's all the support team and thousands of Chinese fans.

We have been lucky so far, inasmuch that the virus hasn't spread to sub-sahara Africa or a refugee camp where the medical care isn't anywhere near as robust as Europe/Asia/North America etc.

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If it's still rampant in China I'd doubt the Chinese athlete's will be allowed to travel, more to the point would the Japanese permit them to enter Japan, because it's not just the athlete's it's all the support team and thousands of Chinese fans.

We have been lucky so far, inasmuch that the virus hasn't spread to sub-sahara Africa or a refugee camp where the medical care isn't anywhere near as robust as Europe/Asia/North America etc.

Could they ban just China though? The political ramifications of such a decision could last a long time, especially as we're talking Japan and China here, who aren't the cosiest of bedfellows in any case.

If it comes to it, it might be better to delay the whole thing, although that would muck up a great deal of planning, not least athlete preparation schedules.

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Could they ban just China though? The political ramifications of such a decision could last a long time, especially as we're talking Japan and China here, who aren't the cosiest of bedfellows in any case.

If it comes to it, it might be better to delay the whole thing, although that would muck up a great deal of planning, not least athlete preparation schedules.

Like you say, could the Japanese only ban the Chinese whilst letting athlete's from Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia etc to still compete, political nightmare.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, as I said I think they'll have until the end of May before decisions will need to be made.

Latest on the cruise ship which I mentioned last night, is that there are now 10 passengers who have now tested positive for the Corona Virus and have been removed from the ship to the Japanese mainland for treatment.

Meanwhile all 3000+ passengers have been confined to their staterooms, which anybody who has been on a cruise will appreciate they must be going stir crazy as there isn't much room in the rooms, not so bad if you have a balcony but I dread to think what it must be like in an inside stateroom with no fresh air or even a window.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

alwaysthereinspirit
On 25/01/2020 at 20:36, JFK-1 said:

I doubt it's pointless if it's an airborne virus. I'm astounded that China has put a City of 11 million on lockdown with apparently more to follow. How do you even do that?

London has a population around 9 million. Imagine trying to put that on lockdown with no one in or out. The fact china is attempting it is a worrisome indication of how bad they think this could get.

The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 killed 1% of the population of the globe. Translate those numbers to Scotland and you're looking at around 5,000 dead in Edinburgh alone.

And that's only if it proved to be less deadly than it ultimately could be. There's a virus in the Middle East right now similar to this one called called Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus.

It kills 30 to 40% of those who contract it. 

alone.png

Second cruise ship now in quarantine, this one is in Hong Kong, and it was reported on the news just now that whilst there hasn't been any confirmed cases there are however upwards to 30 people on board who are unwell.

Results of the tests will probably be known later today or early tomorrow.

South East Asian travel industry is going to take a massive hit due to this virus, as people will be wary of going to that region of the World.

alwaysthereinspirit
24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Second cruise ship now in quarantine, this one is in Hong Kong, and it was reported on the news just now that whilst there hasn't been any confirmed cases there are however upwards to 30 people on board who are unwell.

Results of the tests will probably be known later today or early tomorrow.

South East Asian travel industry is going to take a massive hit due to this virus, as people will be wary of going to that region of the World.

I'll be giving China a wide berth when at Epcot center in April. 😜

5 hours ago, Cade said:

I remember that time we all died of Bird Flu.

And Pig Flu.

And Ebola.

And AIDS.

The press loves a good health scare story.

32 million people have died from AIDS. Of course, most of these have died in Africa, so I assume that's all right with you then.

On 04/02/2020 at 16:38, redjambo said:

That's excellent news, JJ - they don't have a 42 bus in my city. No coronavirus for me!

Might be on its Reggie plate. 

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Oh no you don't, ri. I'm safe, I tell ya!

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'll be delighted if it were, would mean I've got at least another 22 years left. 😄

On 26/01/2020 at 16:48, Mr 3 Putt said:

Seen Asian people do this for years in Edinburgh, always wondered why. We hardly have the smog of the big Chinese city's.

Asian people in general will wear a face mask when ill so they do not transmit their disease to others.

This is especially true of Japan, what is wrong with someone being careful.

I live in China and there are 3 cases of Coronavirus in the city 3km away, we are hundreds of miles away from Wuhan and about 1 hour from Hong kong, everything has shut down.

Very few businesses are open every apartment and villa complex are closed to outsiders with deliveries being left with security, some are conducting temperature checks my garden is not.

But this is being taken very seriously by Chinese authorities, one of the Corona virus cases in Guangdong was in Songshan lake a man returned from Wuhan and did not declare he was sick, he was eventually rushed to hospital and 17 other people were infected due to one mans ignorance.

It will get better it just needs to peak and 99% of the population are doing everything they can to stay locked down.

9 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'll be delighted if it were, would mean I've got at least another 22 years left. 😄

News just in! Owners of all Scottish bus groups name their buses the number 42 on private plates. :)

My cousin works for a social media company in London. He was sent over to Singapore yesterday for a week by them. 

Asked them if it was safe to go. Aye, no problem you'll be fine. Then we hear the 3rd UK person diagnosed caught it in Singapore. Big country I know, but how many more countries are hiding to full extent of it. 

1 hour ago, chubby1973 said:

My cousin works for a social media company in London. He was sent over to Singapore yesterday for a week by them. 

Asked them if it was safe to go. Aye, no problem you'll be fine. Then we hear the 3rd UK person diagnosed caught it in Singapore. Big country I know, but how many more countries are hiding to full extent of it. 

Singapore have today just announced 3 more cases which they can't trace back to China, meaning the people caught the virus in Singapore, just like the British guy above.

I'm not sure about Singapore trying to hide the extent of their outbreak, there has been plenty of information online about the virus in Singapore, here is just one article, there are many others out there.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-singapore-coronavirus-new-cases-baby-12399000

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Singapore have today just announced 3 more cases which they can't trace back to China, meaning the people caught the virus in Singapore, just like the British guy above.

I'm not sure about Singapore trying to hide the extent of their outbreak, there has been plenty of information online about the virus in Singapore, here is just one article, there are many others out there.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wuhan-virus-singapore-coronavirus-new-cases-baby-12399000

Hands up. I badly worded that part as I wasn't including Singapore as being one of those countries. Really should proof read stuff before submitting it😬

Saw the story about the baby yesterday. Poor wee mite. 

17 minutes ago, chubby1973 said:

Hands up. I badly worded that part as I wasn't including Singapore as being one of those countries. Really should proof read stuff before submitting it😬

Saw the story about the baby yesterday. Poor wee mite. 

Guilty of poorly worded posts myself. 👍

Bank Nurses Band 6 or above are required for WGH, Monday - Friday, full time to carry out screening of patients for Coronavirus in the community. This will involve taking throat swabs and returning them to RIDU. You will be working in pairs (no driving licence required as a driver is provided) and you will receive FIT mask training and also be provided with full PPE. If you are interested please contact.... 

redacted contact details. 

Shanks said no

Videos of the quarantine squads operating in China being shown on the BBC tonight.

Its bad enough seeing the people being dragged from their homes but they appear to be getting put in boxes on the back of trucks.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Bank Nurses Band 6 or above are required for WGH, Monday - Friday, full time to carry out screening of patients for Coronavirus in the community. This will involve taking throat swabs and returning them to RIDU. You will be working in pairs (no driving licence required as a driver is provided) and you will receive FIT mask training and also be provided with full PPE. If you are interested please contact.... 

redacted contact details. 

Just in case anyone is doubting this, its genuine, my daughter just forwarded it to me. She isn't volunteering.

3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Just in case anyone is doubting this, its genuine, my daughter just forwarded it to me. She isn't volunteering.

Neither is my wife. 

Governor Tarkin
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:31, Maple Leaf said:

So far this season, starting in about October, 10,000 people in the USA have died from 'flu, and 180,000 have been hospitalised.

Tell me some more about this coronovirus and why I should be worried.. 🤷‍♂️

It's what they're not telling you that should make you worried.

Shanks said no
15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The fear must be that it spreads to somewhere like Manila

Filipino slum residents rest on the rooftop of a dilapidated building in the metropolitan area of Manila, the capital city of the Philippines

4 million people live in this slum

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

To be honest, I don't worry much about stuff like this. The world is in a mini flap about coronavirus, yet only a relative handful of people have been affected. It's a tragedy for the families of those who've died, to be sure, but in the overall scheme of things it's not even a blip on the radar of health issues.

How much coverage does the media give to diabetes?  Would you believe that 3.8 million people die each year from diabetes?

Coca Cola kills more people each year than the coronavirus, but that doesn't make for scary headlines.

This virus has only been around for a month or so, no point comparing it to other things that kill x amount of people each year. 

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

To be honest, I don't worry much about stuff like this. The world is in a mini flap about coronavirus, yet only a relative handful of people have been affected. It's a tragedy for the families of those who've died, to be sure, but in the overall scheme of things it's not even a blip on the radar of health issues.

I'm not convinced the Chinese are being entirely honest with us.

Shanks said no

5 Brits on a French chateaux holiday and 4 in Majorca now suspected cases.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

How much coverage does the media give to diabetes?  Would you believe that 3.8 million people die each year from diabetes?

Coca Cola kills more people each year than the coronavirus, but that doesn't make for scary headlines.

That's if the official figures are correct.

I think what has got everyone in a tizzy is because it's a completely new virus which even the scientists don't fully understand how it behaves yet and as such humans by their very nature fear the unknown.

This is why people fear this virus rather than the flu, even though they are much much more likely to die from the flu than from this new virus, it's the unknown factor which is panicking folks.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm not convinced the Chinese are being entirely honest with us.

Have to agree, just look at the resources the Chinese are throwing at this virus, perhaps one of the reasons that they are so desperate to halt it's spread is because they have a good idea what the virus could potentially become as it mutates.

It is clear that it is easy to spread to others but doesn't have the killing power of lets say it's close relative SARS, all it would take is a small mutation to change all of that.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

5 Brits on a French chateaux holiday and 4 in Majorca now suspected cases.

Read that one of the group in the French outbreak had recently been in Singapore before visiting the French Alps, if they flew out to France which would seem likely then everybody on that plane has potentially been exposed to the virus.

Shanks said no

Brighton school

A SCHOOLCHILD has been placed into isolation after a case of coronavirus was confirmed in the city.

The parents of the PACA student were advised to "self-isolate" their child as part of Public Health England's investigation into the illness in Brighton and Hove.

The school is in Chalky Road, Portslade, and has about 900 pupils.

45 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

People being dragged from their homes apparently by Chinese Officials.

FAC49888-2C24-4491-9ECF-2BCACBB4B848.jpeg

Yeh seen that on the news, which makes you wonder if the Chinese know more about this virus than they are letting on about, for them to take such drastic action.

China being an authoritarian communist society makes large scale evacuations, quarantine zones and disinfection efforts easier than in other nations.

Just chuck massive manpower at it and put the full weights of the party behind the efforts.

If something like this broke out on the Indian subcontinent or South America it'd be a complete mess.

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

China being an authoritarian communist society makes large scale evacuations, quarantine zones and disinfection efforts easier than in other nations.

Just chuck massive manpower at it and put the full weights of the party behind the efforts.

If something like this broke out on the Indian subcontinent or South America it'd be a complete mess.

This.  There is a real danger of this virus spreading to India, the worst possible scenario.  So far most cases have been in Chinese cities, but even disciplined China will toil with rural infection....

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

The videos of the Chinese authorities disinfecting Wuhan are mental. It's like watching a disaster film.

Yes, like something out of a Stephen King book....

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic