Walking Football

FWJ

I’m overweight, very unfit, sore knees and erm.... 50ish.

I wondered about going along to this to help try to improve my fitness level.  Anyone of you oldies tried it?  It looks like it might be difficult to remember not to run sometimes (give away a free kick if you do apparently).

Any comments, advice appreciated.

My old man goes to this ... it's anything but walking football!  Jogging football would be a more appropriate description.

Definitely worth getting into, he says he doesn't even feel like he's jogging to catch a pass etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Dagger Is Back

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Oriam 1230-130 £3.10

Thursday 

Corn Exchange 1100-1230 £4

Tuesday 

Corn Exchange 1200-1300

I joined this about a year ago after rupturing ankle ligaments in a normal game of fives. I’m 58.

Brilliant bunch of lads and occasional lassies and a great way to keep fit.

Some cracking players take part but it’s open to all regardless of ability 

Feel free to pm if you need any more info/an introduction 

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Oriam 1230-130 £3.10

Thursday 

Corn Exchange 1100-1230 £4

Tuesday 

Corn Exchange 1200-1300

I joined this about a year ago after rupturing ankle ligaments in a normal game of fives. I’m 58.

Brilliant bunch of lads and occasional lassies and a great way to keep fit.

Some cracking players take part but it’s open to all regardless of ability 

Feel free to pm if you need any more info/an introduction 

Im 60 in may, might try this ☺️

Have tried it locally. As a 55 year old, I'm one of the youngest!

Self-refereed so breaking into a slight jog is usually okay but it can be frustrating when the ball is just out of reach :lol: 

I'd say go for it - what have you got to lose?

I’d love to try and get into this, trouble is I work full-time so it’d need to be an evening or weekend for me. 

I’m just coming 43, but have had 4 knee operations and I’m not allowed to play proper physical sports so wondered if this might be ideal?! 

The White Cockade

I’m 58 and going to give it a bash 

First friendly game Tuesday and then Isle of Man League starting next Sunday 

No idea what to expect but been told not as slow or easy as you think it will be

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, Boof said:

Have tried it locally. As a 55 year old, I'm one of the youngest!

Self-refereed so breaking into a slight jog is usually okay but it can be frustrating when the ball is just out of reach :lol: 

I'd say go for it - what have you got to lose?

It's the same here Boof. Takes a bit of getting used to and a slight jog is fine. Depending on who is running it there are often other rules like 3 touch only, side footing when shooting, below crossbar height etc

5 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

I’d love to try and get into this, trouble is I work full-time so it’d need to be an evening or weekend for me. 

I’m just coming 43, but have had 4 knee operations and I’m not allowed to play proper physical sports so wondered if this might be ideal?! 

Sorry buddy but I'm not aware of any evening/weekend sessions but if I hear of any I'll let you know. Some of the guys I play with have had hip replacements etc. so I'm sure you'll be just fine

5 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

I’m 58 and going to give it a bash 

First friendly game Tuesday and then Isle of Man League starting next Sunday 

No idea what to expect but been told not as slow or easy as you think it will be

It's not as easy you're right. Passes have to be pretty accurate as Boof says above, if that ball is just out of reach.... When you start introducing things like 3 touch, no tackling from the back  and below crossbar height it's a completely different game. In terms of exercise, you're looking at clocking up 7000 steps in an hour on average

Just a warning here guys, my son-in-laws dad broke his leg playing walking football a couple of years ago, he,'s in his mid-60''s. 

4 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Just a warning here guys, my son-in-laws dad broke his leg playing walking football a couple of years ago, he,'s in his mid-60''s. 

have a falling out with him before it dud you?

Nah! He''s a good jambo, as is his son. I cannae play fitba, I played rugby, I'd have broken both his legs......legally!

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

I P Knightley
On 09/02/2020 at 00:51, Zlatanable said:

I want to hear what it is like. 

It sounds like it could be a laugh.

I am also interested in foot golf

I've tried foot golf once with my 13-year-old. I think you're more likely to pull a hamstring or something in foot golf than walking football as you'll look at a 100 year hole and try to skelp the ball as far as you can. Especially if you're a golfer and the hole looks like it only needs a sand wedge. 

17 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Was he in Still Game?