Saturday evening games..good idea?

Hearts007

Aberdeen and Hibernian are in talks about playing a Scottish Premiership game in March on a Saturday evening - but no agreement has yet been reached.

A real bugger for anyone wanting to get back up/down the road after the game.

In other words, why would Aberdeen be interested?

I go to watch Cartegena fc they play all there games at night 5pm, 6pm, 7pm all depends who they are playing lol.

Салатные палочки
13 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I quite enjoyed a 5pm kick off on a Sat, but any later is seriously anti-social.

The atmosphere at the Aberdeen cup game was brilliant. Was that a 5 or 6pm kick off? 

The way forward for me. Think we would see an increase in crowds. Far better than hideous 12pm kickoffs.

Edited by Randy Marsh

It entirely depends where. 

Edinburgh, yes. 

Dingwall, no. 

Also factor in the fact that it means that your average punter could get a solid 9+ hours of bevvy in them before staggering into the ground, I can't see it being overly successful! 

Not for me, and I’m sure the police would have something to say with the vermin having such games on a Saturday night as they can’t behave themselves . 
totally anti social time for folk with families etc.

SomethingAboutObua
38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A real bugger for anyone wanting to get back up/down the road after the game.

In other words, why would Aberdeen be interested?

So they can broadcast matches more easily to the states with their Atlanta link

I'm not sure how keen I would be on it but lets be honest we need some sort of innovation for the league and teams outside the OF trying something new is no bad thing. Can't see it working for Aberdeen but central belt teams could make it work, a match like Motherwell v St Mirren, why not try and get some extra money from abroad in TV rights, doubt it would affect the attendance for them that much anyway.

Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

I'm not sure how keen I would be on it but lets be honest we need some sort of innovation for the league and teams outside the OF trying something new is no bad thing. Can't see it working for Aberdeen but central belt teams could make it work, a match like Motherwell v St Mirren, why not try and get some extra money from abroad in TV rights, doubt it would affect the attendance for them that much anyway.

Ah, good call.

annushorribilis III
48 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I quite enjoyed a 5pm kick off on a Sat, but any later is seriously anti-social.

I've been to some Saturday evening games in England. Horrendous levels of drunkenness.  

I'd rather earlier... 2pm would be a good time.

Not a fan of a lot of evening kick offs. The occasional one is fine, under the floodlights adds a bit atmosphere. But in winter on a Sat/Sun, the earlier the better, preferably while it is still daylight at kick off.

Edited by kila

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

The atmosphere at the Aberdeen cup game was brilliant. Was that a 5 or 6pm kick off? 

That's the one I had in mind.

15 hours ago, BigCGilmour said:

Should Defo do a Celtic rangers game on a Saturday evening 

There will be total bedlam. Glasgow will look reminiscent to Iraq. And the "global" showcase will be there for all to see the true nature of the Ugly Sisters. Let the carnage commence.

14 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Yup, I agree. Somewhere it is relatively easy to get home from is worth a try, but Aberdeen is too far.

lots of people however, like a Saturday night out after their football fix...

As a season ticket holder who needs to catch a 5.20 train from Haymarket back to London or pay for a hotel it's a no from me. But then again an overnight stay in Edinburgh and a few pints might be preferential to going home. So on second thoughts i'm in favour.

Just now, Marvin said:

There will be total bedlam. Glasgow will look reminiscent to Iraq. And the "global" showcase will be there for all to see the true nature of the Ugly Sisters. Let the carnage commence.

There has been total carnage !

That’s why the 5.35pm KOs were axed. After the game where Dallas was struck by a coin, dafties falling out stands, turnips on the pitch and general mayhem all day and night. Didn’t help that the old Rangers won the League at Parkhead that day.

That’s the downside !

First game after we won the Cup In 98’ was a 5.35 KO against Rangers. Enjoyed that as it was the summer....and we won !

How quickly they forget the original Sky Sports deal a decade ago when it was Saturday evening games. And it ended up with our major cities looking a lot like a Hunger Games sequel

Just now, Phage said:

How quickly they forget the original Sky Sports deal a decade ago when it was Saturday evening games. And it ended up with our major cities looking a lot like a Hunger Games sequel

Sunday evening games I thought

The Dallas one was Sunday 6.30pm.

Surprised there are not 9am games for Asian tv. 

Just now, The Treasurer said:

Why?

Well I take my 6 year old to games with me and evening games just wouldn’t be practical in terms on bedtime etc 

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

Well I take my 6 year old to games with me and evening games just wouldn’t be practical in terms on bedtime etc 

Not having a go here but it's a Saturday 5.30 we're talking about.

If it's a home game (assuming you live in Edinburgh) you could be home by around 8pm and it's not a school night.

Surely that's a better option than a mid week game or even midday on a Sunday.

18 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Not having a go here but it's a Saturday 5.30 we're talking about.

If it's a home game (assuming you live in Edinburgh) you could be home by around 8pm and it's not a school night.

Surely that's a better option than a mid week game or even midday on a Sunday.

The suggestion coming from Aberdeen is for a 7pm kickoff on a Saturday night which personally for me would mean not taking my son to the game 

5:30 isn’t ideal but it’s workable compared to 7pm (I live in Biggar so kick off times are pretty important when it comes to taking my son) 

The Treasurer
5 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

The suggestion coming from Aberdeen is for a 7pm kickoff on a Saturday night which personally for me would mean not taking my son to the game 

5:30 isn’t ideal but it’s workable compared to 7pm (I live in Biggar so kick off times are pretty important when it comes to taking my son) 

When it comes to shifting games, the fans that actually want to go to the game are the last thing considered.

Салатные палочки

Used to hate the old 6.05 Sunday evening kick-off's in the late 90's.  Although I remember us skelping Aberdeen one time.  Was a scorcher of a day and a warm night.  Was quite pleasant actually.  

Just now, The Treasurer said:

When it comes to shifting games, the fans that actually want to go to the game are the last thing considered.

Very true 

Aberdeen are only proposing it because their American owner wants to try tap into potential American viewers 

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

Very true 

Aberdeen are only proposing it because their American owner wants to try tap into potential American viewers 

Crystal Meth smoking is still a massive issue in the States I see.  

1 hour ago, Boab said:

There has been total carnage !

That’s why the 5.35pm KOs were axed. After the game where Dallas was struck by a coin, dafties falling out stands, turnips on the pitch and general mayhem all day and night. Didn’t help that the old Rangers won the League at Parkhead that day.

That’s the downside !

First game after we won the Cup In 98’ was a 5.35 KO against Rangers. Enjoyed that as it was the summer....and we won !

I remember it well. I borrowed my brother's ST for that one and was in the Gorgie Stand. The whole place was rocking.  :flagwave:

Not a fan of evening kick offs.  They are a bit of a pain in the areas, especially midweek.   

The exception is European games, as these are special occasions, and there is something about Tynecastle under the floodlights.  

Nelly Terraces

One of the best days our beating the shite away was a 5pm Saturday job. The one we were a goal down in about the 1st minute only for Scott Severin to equalise then with 5 mins left big Ricardo Fuller went on a great run, chopped in the box & Pressley stepped up & bashed in the pen. Bedlam in our end - tears for the filth. Great atmosphere as loadsa folk were jaked after a few hours in the boozer.

All for 5pm KO me. Better than 12.30 etc, they're ****ing gash.

Edited by Nelly Terraces

NRL have 6 games broadcast over a weekend:

1x Friday night

2x Saturday (lunch & evening)

2x Sunday (lunch & evening)

1x Monday night

I do not see why crowds would be significantly depleted if all SPL games are broadcast.

3pm Sat for me. Id rather have a Saturday night game than a Friday night, Sunday noon, or a Monday night game.

I mind few years ago Hearts v Hibs first game of the season we had to wait till a Monday night am sure we got beat 1,0 that night.

12 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

3pm Sat for me. Id rather have a Saturday night game than a Friday night, Sunday noon, or a Monday night game.

I mind few years ago Hearts v Hibs first game of the season we had to wait till a Monday night am sure we got beat 1,0 that night.

Agree - All games should be 3pm on a Saturday, like it used to be.

20 hours ago, H2 said:

Agree - All games should be 3pm on a Saturday, like it used to be.

Yea we played some big Lithuanian huddie up front

Saturday, 5.30. Good wee time slot, but I must confess, I love a Friday night game.

Can't wait for St Mirren. Quite disappointed we don't get many of them at home.