R.I.P. Bob Elgin

luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

Heartbreaking news today, sadly Bob passed away this morning. A lovely guy who thought of others before himself and was so proud to have played  for and also support Heart of Midlothian. He will be missed greatly, thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

R.I.P Bob

🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by luckyBatistuta

jambos are go!

Remember him as a young player trying as hard as he could to break into the first team. Think he was generally referred to as Bobby Elgin by the fans  and it's sad to hear he has passed on. RIP.

John Montgomery
22 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Rob was one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. He'll be missed by a helluva lot of people.

Very sad news.

Rob certainly was also one of the true "gentleman" of the world. When I first heard he had been diagnosed obviously I was hoping the worse didn't happen, unfortunately it did. RIP Rob. John and Carol.

Edited by John Montgomery

On 20/01/2020 at 20:40, jambos are go! said:

Remember him as a young player trying as hard as he could to break into the first team. Think he was generally referred to as Bobby Elgin by the fans  and it's sad to hear he has passed on. RIP.

this him?

Bobby_Elgin.jpg.96fb7a37c910c9ad60e3b0b00f33ca72.jpg

John Montgomery
2 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

this him?

Bobby_Elgin.jpg.96fb7a37c910c9ad60e3b0b00f33ca72.jpg

Where did you get the photo? I know there was a short article about him in Hearts in Art.

Anyone give a wee potted history of the man? Must admit I’ve never heard of him, but seems a few on here know him, some even personally. By all accounts a true gent and phm 🇱🇻

John Montgomery
20 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Anyone give a wee potted history of the man? Must admit I’ve never heard of him, but seems a few on here know him, some even personally. By all accounts a true gent and phm 🇱🇻

I think he only played one first team game but I'm not sure about substitutions ( I don't know when subs started). He joined Hearts from school, left Hearts and went to Stockport County. I think that was his last team and he then retired. He then joined the police and was a traffic policeman.

John Montgomery
35 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/elginbobby.html

http://www.hattersmatters.co.uk/players/player-profile?id=RUxHSTAx

I'm sure I remember Bobby Elgin.  If I'm right, he was a wholehearted right winger who was with us for 2 or 3 years and mainly played in the reserves.

My memory may be playing tricks but if I'm right he would be in his early 70s.

Very sorry to learn of his passing.

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm sure I remember Bobby Elgin.  If I'm right, he was a wholehearted right winger who was with us for 2 or 3 years and mainly played in the reserves.

My memory may be playing tricks but if I'm right he would be in his early 70s.

Very sorry to learn of his passing.

31181CBD-90EB-403F-80E6-FD0D84A30E3B.jpeg

John Montgomery
12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

His funeral is on Tuesday at 2pm at Mortonhall Crematorium.

Thanks. I've something on in the morning. I hope I can make it.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, John Montgomery said:

Thanks. That's quick.

No problem. There are refreshments at the Brunton Hall, Musselburgh after, for anyone wishing to pay their respects.

10 hours ago, John Montgomery said:

Where did you get the photo? I know there was a short article about him in Hearts in Art.

London Hearts

My Dad Robert played 5 games first team and many in the reserve, before spending 2 years at Stockport County. He was a true gent, loving and caring family man who spoke and got on with anyone. He had a great life a true Jambo

On 22/01/2020 at 18:46, Laura Elgin said:

My Dad Robert played 5 games first team and many in the reserve, before spending 2 years at Stockport County. He was a true gent, loving and caring family man who spoke and got on with anyone. He had a great life a true Jambo

Sorry for your loss. RIP Robert 

On 22/01/2020 at 18:46, Laura Elgin said:

Taught me how to play golf with a cut down old putter, took me to my first Hearts match and took me for my flrst under age pint. True gent and uncle, we will all miss him.

• 3 years later...